Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post What do you think about combining the two RP forums and loosening the content rules.
on: March 22, 2014 01:24
What does everyone think about combining the TT and TR forums into one. with the main rule being that characters cannot have abilities beyond those given to the characters in Tolkien's Middle-earth books.
That would leave us with a Roleplay forum and a Discussion/OOC forum.
I'm envisoning a forum that would allow a lot more freedom than we currently allow, but I'd like to have some member input before starting onsetting it up.

[Edited on 03/26/2014 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
For example, many years ago we had threads with Spiders that lived in tunnels by an Inn and we had Orcs that left their kingdoms and joined with men. Is that going too far?
What would you like to be able to do, that isn't currently allowed, in your RPs?
Are the current content rules needed or are they too strict and stifling your creativity?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I think that it's a good idea to comb9ne the two- some people (like myself) got confused on which thread to place their RP in, which created confusion when the RP started to progress. For example, a character driven by OC's and wild events in TT instead of TB.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I think it is a good idea to combine the two. Can any role play really be TT? Would you keep the non-Tolkien topic?

It is difficult to keep a role play going. People stop posting and drop out but on Crossed Paths, those of us who still wanted to play, changed the original story line and were lucky enough to find a few more players. As long as there are at least two people, a role play can continue.

I think the spiders in tunnels sounds interesting. A role play should be fun. The rules we have now are good although I could do with reading them over.

Not very long ago, someone wanted to start a role play with a character from modern times ending up in Middle-earth and this was not permitted. I think that sounds like a good idea and might bring those who were not interested in role play to give it a try. Not too sure about having characters fly or turn invisible but that could be something for a non-Tolkien role play.

That is all I can think of at the moment.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I think they could be combined. Any specific rules can be set in the specific RP overview itself. That way, if someone wants to run an Rp that has crossover with modern world or even other book worlds, etc, it wont interfere with ones that are holding to a strict Middle Earth setting, and if someone wanted to actually hold to the Totally Tolkien rules they could.

Back some years there was quite a few people and some control needed to be in place, but these days traffic is a bit less, and the combination and loosening the rules some could encourage a freer RP atmosphere. Just my 2¢.

[Edited on 03/28/2014 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Good idea, Arveleg, to have specific rules for each role play. Who would set the rules? The one originating the role play? Could rules be modified as play progresses? Issues could arise that were not thought of when the role play started.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Well, yeah. Whoever is starting the RP (game-master) can in the initial OOC state the general rules for the tale. Adjustments can be made along the way if needed. Of course the RP forum would have its guidelines. The TR rules are good general guideline I think.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
Combining the two groups could be a way to help the community be less divided, in my personal opinion it seemed like there were two groups of RPers on this forum, those in TT and those in TR, and neither interacted with each other. I still believe that this is a Tolkien-based RP board at it's core though, and the rules should reflect that. Perhaps if we combined the TT and TR forums and still had the NT forums open (I'm not sure if they are currently open now or not, I thought I saw a recent post in there) for the threads that are more removed from Tolkien (modern time people transported to ME and such.) That way we can have threads that are dedicated to Tolkien with less strict rules and then a section for the ones that are more out there.

In regards to the threads that had orcs mingling with men and the spiders, as long as the OOC thread clearly outlines your direction and how far from canon you intend to stray, it should be fine. If you do not like how far the thread strays from canon, simply do not join it.

[Edited on 04/09/2014 by Naucoaran]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I just looked at the NT Forum and it seems to me that there hasn't been any NT role play since 2004. That is 10 years and I think that alone tells the tale. Let the members have some fun with NT...have present day people find their way to Middle-earth. Orcs as your neighbours!..That could turn into a fun role play.

It is not easy to start a role play but it is even harder to keep it going. Sometimes there is a posting frenzy and sometimes players do not post for weeks. What do you do when someone does not post and by not posting, the story is at a standstill? Those of us on Crossed Paths try our best to continue the play without the others.

I was told by a serious role player that a role play usually lasts about 6 months. After that, the interest is no longer there and the game should be ended.

[Edited on 04/11/2014 by Lindarielwen]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
I've been considering this move for months; between now and September I am going to try and move all of the TT threads to the TR forum to combine the two forums.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
I'm also considering reopening the NT Forum, provided that everyone using that forum is also a regular in the TR forum
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email