Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Post Fans Over Forty ~ Part XXVI
on: April 06, 2014 09:29
Wow, 26 of these now. Wonder if Norlin ever pokes his head in any more (He was the originator of this years ago).

Sunny but cool here in San Diego. Going to doing lots of physical labor today up on our mountain property. I'm on leave this week, but don't plan on going anywhere. Will be working on a wedding dress and just taking care of myself. Take care!
BelleBayard
Send Message
On vacation right now. Weather's been HOT... our little garden is a bit parched so trying to keep it wet enough to not die. Nice to have a week off to do nothing but stay up if I want to, sleep in if I want, etc. How are all my FoF friends doing?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
We could use some rain here too. I mean, this is not like in New Mexico or Arizona, but the difference to last year is noticeable. March was much too cold then, snow and rain ample, and as soon as it got a bit warmer the trees, bushes etc. just exploded with flowers and leaves. This year March was too warm, but more to the point we have had sub-average precipitation since November. So after a useful rainfall about four weeks ago, flowers and leaves got off to a much earlier start than last year. But they have hit the brakes HARD since then. There may have been some rain the night before last, but leaves and flowers are still a bit thin on the vegetation.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Filling in forms for my mum... "When did you move in to your previous house?" and other ridiculous nonsense. Someone said we are living in an absurdocracy, a comedian of course. The role of the court jester is still important.

Busy day, collecting Winnie the Pooh illustrations for my sister, stewing apple, arranging flowers and appointments. Weather cool but not bad, goosander still on the lake. Counted some leaves. Now listening to 'Late Junction', an eclectic mix of non-pop music on good ol' BBC. On average, life is very nice.

Yours serendipidously
tarc
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Everybody seems to be experiencing unusually dry conditions since November. While our spring has been more normal than our winter was, it's still relatively dry for this time of year.

The weather has warmed up and I'm watching the daily explosion of leaves on the filbert trees along my fence line. It's truly amazing! The hummingbirds are at war over territory and feeders and the cat is taking midnight prowls to rid the yard of any interlopers. Isn't spring wonderful!

I've managed to do most of my garden clean up with help from a friend, but I'm loathe to do anything else until my new perennials arrive. I would like to add more topsoil to the gardens when I do my new flower boxes so there's not much hurry to weed them out. My neighbour has already started planting, but I think it's still a bit too early here. I usually wait until May.

I hope everybody is having a great week.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
It's the same here in Derbyshire ES. It's so tempting, but there can be sudden frosts. It's been such a wet winter that I suspect most of the nutrients have been washed out of the soil, so I'll get some feed in there before I start buying.

Oh ... and Hi everybody. I AM still alive.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Hello cirdaneth we have had a wet winter also and we have had quite a bit of rain here also so our Spring is going well. Except for a tornado which was in a storm last night. But we are fine but it was scary.
ES I hope you send pictures of your flower boxes when they are finished. I hope you are having a good week.
Tarcolan forms can be so frustrating. Glad you are having a nice life.
Belle I am doing fine and how are you? Did you have a good vacation?
Gandolorin I hope you get rain soon.
Everyone have a great weekend.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Here it is not dry,we had rain mixed with snow at the beginning of this week past and today we have snow about 2inches and it is so dull outside,lifeless.Tomorrow we're supposed to have rain,we need it and warmth too,this snow has to go.Usually in the first week of may it is gone but this year it will be a little bit longer,maybe in the middle of may.

I bought myself a nice gift on wednesday,an electronic reader.My sister-in-law gave me,brace yourself, 10,000books on 4 cds.I started to download them.I always said that I wouldn't buy a reader because I prefer the physical books but when she told me how many books she had I couldn't refuse,I had to compromise but it wasn't so hard to doNow I'm ready for all you can eat litterature.I love my sister-in-law!

Hello Cirdaneth and Belle hope you had a nice vacation.
Tarcolan and Gandolorin,hello too.
tarcolan
Send Message
10,000 books! That should keep you busy for the next 20 years Dimple. What sort of ereader did you get? I want a Kobo 'cos they can read any sort of file and they have a basic web browser. I like both real and ebooks. Take LOTR for example, I can usually find something by flicking through and remembering roughly where it is, left or right page, top, middle, bottom and the general appearance of the page. Not practical with an ebook but it's good at searching for a word or phrase. Horses for courses.
awelyn418
Send Message
Dimple that is wonderful and I read on a Kindle reader on my computer and paper books too. Snow I am so sorry hope it will be gone for you soon. We have had rain for two days now. Our temperatures are more Spring like though.

[Edited on 04/17/2014 by awelyn418]
BelleBayard
Send Message
First day back to work - have a feeling I'll have literally 100's and 100's of emails and alerts to wade through to get back on track, but such is life. Been cooler over the weekend for the most part and yesterday afternoon got cloudy, windy, and much cooler than it had been the rest of the week. No rain, just clouds. Very still this morning so we shall see what we shall see. I'm doing well, awelyn and feel fairly well rested from my time off.

Wow, Dimple, that's a lot of books! Should keep you quite busy. Tarc, with Kindles, you can bookmark where you were if you need to (or if you find something interesting you want to go back to), but the device "saves" your last read page so no rifling through pages to find where you left off. Very convenient!

Have a good one!
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
I believe you can annotate books on a Kindle. That would be so useful for me. And I understand that you can bring up all instances of a name or word and check through them. Is that so? Question is ... which Kindle to buy?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
We finally had some useful rain here today! The first drizzle I noticed started exactly as I came out the door to walk to the office - and was done shortly after I entered the office. Very much April weather during the day, shower, sunshine,thundercloud, sunshine etc. etc. The last downpour was a little less than an hour ago, fat thundercloud that brought some sleet with the rain and stormy wind-gusts. Enjoyed it from our loggia (that's a balcony which is an inlet into the building, rather than protruding out from it, so three sides closed rather than three sides open). They made an announcement on the pa system in the office that we should all close windows etc. before going home because some stormy weather was predicted. So there may be more "rambunctious" weather during the evening (6:42 PM right now) and night.
BelleBayard
Send Message
cirdaneth, I have like 6 Kindles, starting from the very first version to a Kindle Fire, which is a combo reader and tablet and has a backlit screen. Yes, you can search for all sorts of things, look up words you're not sure of the meaning, and put notes on pages. If you like ease of reading then the keyed Kindle is the best (you don't accidently touch the screen and turn the page or go back home). If you like the touch screen you can get the "white paper" one which has backlit or not screen and is touch. Some are 3G, which means as long as you can get a cell signal you can download books, etc., but the WiFi ones MUST have a working WiFi you have access to (such as your home or get the password, etc. from the Internet Cafe). Hope that helps.

Gandolorin, I wish WE would get some rain. It gets cloudy, windy, but nothing happens. Not so good. We are so very dry right now I fear our "fire" season will be very bad.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
BelleBayard said:
Gandolorin, I wish WE would get some rain. It gets cloudy, windy, but nothing happens. Not so good. We are so very dry right now I fear our "fire" season will be very bad.

You mentioned San Diego above, that is VERY southern California (and California as a whole is in the news with nasty fires much too often).
SD is south of the 33° north latitude, so that puts you on the latitude of ... HUH? you're south of Casablanca in Morocco!!!
OK, I know latitudes don't equal climate zones, especially along the coasts of this big peninsula called Europe which is attached to the western part of Asia. But SD and Bogie's haunt both have a big fat continent to the east and an ocean in the west, so the are probably quite comparable. I've only been to southernmost Spain (the Canaries, too, but as islands they're not comparable), and that was plenty hot & dry, thank you very much.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Yes, it really is semi-desert, though you'd swear folks think it's the tropics with all the pools and lawns and stuff. For the most part we are definitely arid though I've heard it said our climate is actually like the Mediterranean hence our wine-growing is well know. For the most part, it's good for old bones not having the moist, cool weather, but I do miss the fogs of Northern California that would come in every morning over the Russian River. However, I decided to retire from the Navy in San Diego, so I seem to be stuck here for the time being. Always was fascinated with that country... Now, I fear I will never see anywhere outside of the US given my advancing age (hah! I sound like I'm a 100!) so I'm doing the best with what I have here. Thank heavens for the Internet!
awelyn418
Send Message
Dimple sorry you are still having snow. But we have had winter temperatures for 3 days now . It is crazy weather but we are supposing to have Spring like temps on Friday. Which is a good thing as it is my birthday.
Belle thanks for the Kindle info as I plan on buying a Kindle soon. I know what you mean I sure would like to see Europe especially England and Ireland. Maybe one day.(sigh).
Gandolorin I am glad you have had rain.
tarcolan and ES hello I hope you are having a good week.
Have a good week everyone.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
The next generation of squirrels is definitely making its appearance here. More lively than their elders, as usual. But this year, they appear to be larger than in earlier years. Then, the bushy tail appeared easily twice as long as the body - meaning they were young runts. This year, either they are larger than in earlier years, or their parent's generation is not as large as the previous generations.
My bet is that the runts are bigger. They spend a lot of time looking for buried nuts systematically (instead of jumping around to get rid of excess energy), and occasionally they bury what they find just the odd foot or two away from where they found it.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
TARCOLAN:I didn't know if I would like to read on an e-reader so I shopped for something that would not be very expensive.So I bought a Sony,it was on sale for just 100$ and it serves the purpose.It has 3 dictionaries,english,french,and spanish,you can bookmark the book if you don't it will remember the last page you were reading and open to that page,I can write notes and all sorts of goodies.It can contains up to 1100 books.It is simple,it's good because I am not very technologicalI will keep buying books,the ones with special edition,and the ones that I really want on my bookshelves like art books or gardening books or books from Beatrix Potter with nice drawings,you know the ones that you really enjoy by touching and looking at them.The look of a full bookshelf is very comforting to me,it's like comfort food

AWELYN:Happy belated birthdayI hope you had a nice day.Did you do something special?We still have about 3feet of snow and the temp.is not so warm.At this rate it will not be gone before the middle of may I'm sure unless the weather change drastically.

BELLE: you were lucky to travel,I would love to go to Europe and visit England and Scotland and France and many other country too.But like you said it's a good thing we have internet and go to google earth and do a little visit sitting on a computer chair.It's not quite the same as being there physicaly but it's better than nothing.

Have a nice evening all
tarcolan
Send Message
How's Bruno doing Dimple? I shouldn't really be saying this but if you get a program called Calibre, you can get a plugin which will let you convert Kindle books to other formats. Ebooks are convenient sometimes but they'll never replace the real thing.

I would like to see England too, and I live here. I would really like to go to Avebury to see the great circle there. And explore Cornwall some more. Ho hum, one day.

All through autumn we watched this crazed squirrel go over the road to fetch peanuts and then bury them in my mum's garden. Then all winter we watched it frantically trying to find them all again. Highly entertaining. Except it keeps raiding the bird feeders as well. Greys are vermin here, they ruin the hazelnut crop. Reds are making a comeback in some areas though.

Mild with sun and rain, just right. Good walks. Went to Shipley Glen, didn't ride the cable tramway, oldest in Britain. Watching night-scented stock seedlings growing, hope the groundsmen don't pull them up. Mmmm. Sometimes life is so magic it's hard to bear.

Keep well all. How are you swabby?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Well, now it's official, the greater Nuremberg metropolitan area has had the driest five-month period between November (2013) and March (2014) ever. The minimum precipitation since weather data started being collected 135 years ago for the region was 100 liters (I think per square meter, but ...). Anyway, the current period set a new negative record with only 79 liters.
Other regions in Germany have suffered flooding during this time- that is why averages stink for many purposes.
And November, usually one of the wetter (the wettest?) month in the calendar, was in 2012 the driest month ever recorded in all of Germany. A few places got a bit of a shower, most of Germany registered exactly zero precipitation for that entire month. Breaking records in many ways is becoming commonplace, some places have suffered "century floods" three times in ten years.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
@ Awelyn: Belated Happy Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day.

The weather here has been pretty typical, although a bit drier than usual. Because we're at a slightly higher elevation, we can still get light early morning frosts. My neighbour has already planted 70 geraniums and had to go out at 2am to cover them as the result of a drop in temperature. It's kind of neat though as you can actually see the frost "dropping" onto the roof tops and grounds. Fortunately, it's gone by 9am.

I have been busy for some reason, not that it has been anything particularly important. Although the Habs have made it through to the next round in the Stanley Cup playoffs having beat the Tampa Bay Lightening in four straight .... Hopefully, they will continue to do well. Waiting to see who they play next; probably Boston (boo, hisssss).

Anyway I hope everybody enjoys the rest of their week.

[Edited on 07/01/2017 by BelleBayard]
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
tarcolan: Bruno is not well. At first he responded so well to his medication but now he's lost interest in feeding himself. I have to hand feed him,he went from 4 cups of food a day to 1 cup when he wants to eat, he does'nt want to drink so I have to give him ice cubes out of my hand. He lost so much weight,we can see his spine and feel his bones when we pet him,but he has a very big abdomen and that's not normal. I called the vet she thinks that could be something else. His last blood work and urine test showed a possible cancer. Further tests and exams such as xrays and echography could cost to one thousand dollars and she said that those tests don't said it all because of his big abdomen he has difficulty to walk and get up,it breaks my heart to see him like that. We will have to make a decision soon.there is a clinic that offers euthanasia at home so we have that possibility and we won't have to go to the clinic. We are seriously thinking about it. Thanks for letting me know about that program.

[Edited on 04/27/2014 by tarcolan]
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
OUPS!!! sorry I don't know what happened
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
@ Dimple - Speaking from experience, having gone both routes, having the vet come to your home is the option I would choose. My heart goes out to you. There's always such a hole left in our routines when one of our beloved animal companions crosses over the Rainbow Bridge. ]

On a personal note: My plants are being shipped as I write.

Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you ES
tarcolan
Send Message
Update: the groundsmen stomped the stock seedlings into the mud and threw the label away. I think they operate a scorched earth policy. I'll plant some more. We'll see who cracks first.
awelyn418
Send Message
Hello everyone. I have had another bout with stomach flu and my youngest daughter is having trouble in her marriage. It looks like it will end in divorce and my daughter is heart broken and worries for my granddaughter Lily. So those are my reasons for not being here lately.
Dimple it breaks my heart for Bruno and I agree with ES. It would be easier for you and Bruno. I am so sorry. I hope his passing is easy for him.
ES I had a great birthday with family and cake and people I love my son wrote a story about me that made me weep with joy. It was my favorite present and my second favorite was a Hobbit House my niece made me with grass that I water and cut. I love it.
Gandolorien I love to watch squirrels and I hope you have rain soon.
tarcolan there are places in the USA that I would like to visit and I live here. Have a good week.
BelleBayard
Send Message
So sorry to hear of all the issues. Poor Bruno... My heartfelt sympathy, Dimple.

awelyn, sad to hear of your daughter's issues and your illness. I'm wondering if stress might not be making your symptoms worse - that can happen. Sounds like you had a lovely birthday at least.

It's been relatively cool lately, but it's supposed to get into the 90's the rest of the week. Worried for our rabbits outdoors so we installed a misting system on a timer. Have to work so will not be here to ensure they're okay. They don't do well in heat with their coats so praying they'll be okay.

tarc, I'm taking it groundsmen are like gardners? Why in the world would they destroy your seedlings? Are they blind that they can't see the little sprouts? Good grief!
tarcolan
Send Message
No Belle, they are obviously not gardeners and would prefer concrete - less work. But then a lot of people are like that, car parking taking over from, well, life. I feel a Joni Mitchell song coming on. Hot rabbits, what do wild ones do? I suppose you could shave them.

Dimple, if Bruno is suffering then it's time to say goodbye, really. And celebrate a happy life.

awelyn, I hope Lily doesn't get used as a pawn. Our son's schoolfriend had to spend three and a half days with each parent, to the minute! Never went on holiday. Eventually he disowned them and got his own place. Fools. The most important thing is that she knows it's not her fault.

My bro and sis-in-law are over from Oz in a month, which is nice. My mum has very low haemoglob level, 80 somethings per something else, so we're trying to get her pepped up before they come, blood transfusion might do it. It would put a strain on her one remaining kidney though, but she doesn't care, just wants to enjoy their visit.

There are already tons of bilberries ripening on the bushes out on the moors. Crazy, it's only April! I've still got a few from last year in the freezer.

Take it easy all.

Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Well, lots of gardening done at this end. All of the front beds have been weeded and the old flower boxes dismantled and burned (totally rotted out). The measurements for the new boxes have been taken, and I'm now waiting for the garden ties to go on sale. Hopefully, I will be able to get them in the next week, or two. As for my ordered plants:

The only area that needs to be addressed at this time is the back yard, half of which has been allowed to return to its "natural" state and is, therefore, an overgrown mess. We cut down two small aspens that had sprung up and a mass of brambles (dangerous things ). Now there is only the grass to be cut and it will look a lot better.

I now have to put new batteries in my solar stuff and everything will be in order until we do the new boxes. I've arranged for two friends to help with them, and my neighbour across the way helps me maintain my grounds, which is nice. I do pay him as he works really, really hard and is fun to work around.

TTFN

BelleBayard
Send Message
Rabbits in the wild burrow into dens in the ground (which is a lot cooler). These are caged and thus at our mercy (and the weather's). We are getting large soda bottles (2L) and freezing water in them to put in the cages so they can cuddle next to them and decrease their body heat. They can heat stroke and die if their body temp gets too high. Poor little things. Worked well with the mister and having them under a tree as well. Will keep my fingers crossed. We have tomatoes on 3 of our 6 plants so soon we may be having fresh ones. Now if the zucchini and spinach would just behave all would be fine. Argh...
awelyn418
Send Message
tarcolan Lily is only 19 months old and as of yet that has not happened. I think my daughter is hoping there will be a change of heart in her husband and he will change his mind. He is a great father but a lousy husband. He is very likeable and I think his love for Lily will stop the pawn thing from happening. It is just confusing for Lily. Her mom works 9 hours a day with an hour off for lunch. So I watch Lily 10 hours a day. She naps two hours a day so I nap when she does or I could not do this. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
ES you have accomplished so much with your gardening. Good for you. That does sound like fun and it does sound relaxing .
Belle, I hope your rabbits are ok. I also hope for rain.
Have a great weak.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Mae Govannen to all.

Awelyn -sorry to see that your daughter is having problems. I hope that things get resolved or that the couple chooses to finish things in a way that is loving and generous to Lily. Sending good energy and support to you and them.

Dimple - Oh, I hope Bruno gets better ! It's terrible to see our cherished pets suffering. Hugs for you and him.

I see talk of Spring. Ours is so slow coming. We just had a snowstorm last Friday. The heavy , wet snow caused lots of power lines and trees to come down. We lost several very large tree limbs and a 20 ft pine tree. Fortunately, nothing hit the house or the cars. The power was out for over 2 hrs. Just as I got back form the store with big blocks of ice for me fridge and freezer, the power came on !

The snow is very slow to leave here and the temperatures are still unseasonably cool. We will be grateful for Spring, whenever it finally shows up. I hope that all of you with dry conditions will get some rain soon.

I have been concerned for the homeland of my people - Ukraine. Things are deteriorating there and the likelihood of more powerful countries assisting is very limited. They are unlikely to risk the loves of their armed forces unless a country has resources or strategic importance for them. That's the reality of politics. No one bothered to help Rwanda or Syria, but Libya's oil got people's attention.
Please forgive the political cynicism.

I am grateful for the miracle of Skype. We have spoken face to face with my late father's family twice now. They are safely in the West, in the foothills of the Carpathian Mtns. There are apparently no separatist issues these, so they are safe for now.

Blessings to you all !
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you all for your support and don't worry Tarcolan if we see that Bruno cannot take it anymore we will find the will to end it.It is not fair for him and I think a bit cruel from our part to let him live without enjoying life.

AWELYN:I'm very sorry for your daughter and her husband if they cannot agree on the situation but more so for Lily because she can't understand what is happening and it must be confusing for her.I hope everything will work out for them.

TARCOLAN: I can't understand people liking concrete over nice and beautiful lawn with flowers of every colours,smells that blow your mind,colourful butterflies and birds feeding on them and the sight of those wonderful treasures. Well it takes all kind I guess...

ES:I see that you don't waste any time and work hard on your garden.We still have a bit of snow but at last I can see the lawn now and if the sun is at the rendez-vous I think that I'll be able to start soon hopefullyI think I have voles,there are little holes everywhere on the lawn

BELLE: Poor little things,hope your effort work out well.Good luck with your veggies.

NEENIME:The snow is slow to leave here too but it's getting there.I hope the problems in your homeland will be solved peacefully and the situation will not get worse.

Have a nice evening all
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email