Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1112131415Last >>
Author Topic:
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, Neenime, for that refreshing dose of Bilboism. Ah, the old days when the spirit here was strong. Autumn is in the air, but I'm half-wishing it'll hold off until my two latent tomato plants bear fruit. This was a terrible year for gardens, and almost no one around here was successful. Even the old couple down the road abandoned theirs long ago, and now only cows could enjoy what's sprang up.
Speaking of odd berries, I once had a slice or two of olalaberry pie. I'm not positive of the spelling, but it tasted to me like it was made from mulberries.
Everyone take care.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Hello all

I went to see my mother near Montreal last week end.It didn't start very good.When I arrived at her residence the nurse told me that she wasn't feeling too well.Her heart gave her trouble by running a fast marathon and her blood pressure went up to 200.They had to give her oxigen.What cause it I asked?She tought that I had had an accident because I arrived later than shen had expected and she was worried.Once I was with her her blood pressure went back to normal and her heart was ok.I phoned her tuesday and she was fine.

My favourite season is here,it's the time when I crave for apple pies and all sort of fruit pies and chicken pies and good home made delicious meals with their smell invading the whole house mmmmmm!

AWELYN:Hope you're feeling much better and Su-Lin too.

BELLE:Are you building a log cabin in Colorado?Hope you're feeling ok too.

TARCOLAN: I read the book by Jared Diamond last year.Very good book,interesting and well written.I had the impression though that the author is a little bit pessimistic about the world.Let me know what you think.

NEENIME:When finish reading the Satanic Verses let me know what you think about the story.

SWABBY: Hi! nice to see youIt's the same here with the gardens,too much rain or too much heat,not very good and not successful.There is always next year...

Have a nice evening all.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Sorry to hear of your mother's problems, Dimple. We have a manufactured home that looks like a log cabin inside and out, but it's not. It's well insulated for summer and winter alike and I can hardly wait. A bit tired from driving nearly the whole way in 22 hours from there to San Diego, but at least I have a few days off before I go back. Take care all.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings all.
Swabbythewhite ! how positively delightful to see you here, you old sea-dog! Hope to see you again.

Dimple so sorry that your mom is so excitable. Mine is like that too and has a heart that can go into tachycardia also. We have to be careful about sharing good news and bad.

I agree that Fall is wonderful. Our little appLe tree, that lives in the shade of big pines, produced dozens and dozens of apples. Lots of pie being served in this household. I've also made lots of crabapple jelly this week. I love it's gemlike look when the sun shines through the jars. Feeling like a proper little Hobbit wife, I am !

Just popped in to share a great link to 10 recipes for Middle Earth. I am stoked to try these! http://www.tickld.com/x/sp/10-awesome-recipes-for-each-moment-of-lotr-mordors-will-surprise-you
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I hope everybody has recovered from their illnesses and managing to enjoy the onset of autumn.

The weather here has been a bit unsettled with rainy periods interspersed with sun. The moisture has certainly been welcome and my grass has gone from summer "blond" to a nice rich green. Unfortunately, the rain has also meant that it is growing and needs mowing yet again.

Watching the end of the pennant races on TV. The Blue Jays are doing incredibly well. And ....... hockey starts soon! I've already got my Habs banner loaded into my signature in preparation for the coming season.

Have an amazing weekend, everyone!

Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
I have a wonderful day outside preparing the soil for tomorrow transplantations of my hostas,my little bulldog helping me with great joy carrying my tools and playing with the branches I was cutting.Great dayNext week I'm going to start to put my flowers to sleep for winter
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
NEENIME: I just look at the recipes it looks very yummy. One recipe says you need seashell pasta,I'm not familiar with that ingredient I don't know what it is.Could you tell me?

Don't forget to look at the eclipse of the moon tomorrow night it's supposed to be spectacular.The moon will be 14% bigger than usual.It's a rare event the next one will be in 2033(or2035).I don't know the time but I will try not to miss it.

Have a nice evening all
BelleBayard
Send Message
Dimple, they are pasta shells - they look like half a shell. Been hot, hot and hot again. No rain, but plenty of humidity which is not the norm for this area. Back to work tomorrow after two weeks off. Ugh... Oh well, pays the bills.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Oh! now I know what it is and I am familiar with it after all.I don't know what I was thinking,some pasta made with seashell maybee!!!! Thanks Belle
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Well I was a bit disappointed with the super moon last night.It was supposed to be bigger and like a blood red color.It was not as big as I hope for and the color was a fainted red.Maybe in some other part of the world it was better but here nothing to get very excited about.I will have to wait 2033 to see if it gets bigger and redder(is it a word or I'm making that up?)
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
We had a wonderful view of it on the west coast. The skies were clear and the moon was spectacular, especially when it was a blood moon. The eclipse itself wasn't all that exciting, although sitting outside on an autumn night is a joyous experience.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
ES:The skies were beautiful here too plenty of stars but no red blood moon just pale red.How come I didn't see what you saw?Very frustrating!
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
First day of Autumn here and gone and here in Southeast Missouri the trees are starting a gradual change. We are having cooler temperatures and rain. It smeLls and is starting to look like Autumn . It is my favorite time of the year. I am adjusting to babysitting for two and sometimes after they leave I am just knackered.
My granddaughter that is three has picked up a terrible habit from her father. She is cursing. I know not to make a big deal about on the outside I am calm and say let's use this word instead but inside I am cringing. Well, I am sure it is a phase.
I made my first fire in my fire pit the other night. I use to be a girl scout leader so nice to know I have not forgotten those skills.
I have been watching the British baking show and I just love it. Compared to America's cooking shows that do not give useful criticism.
It is so good to read your posts and see some are getting rain and others talking about jams and jellies and Bell's beautiful home she will retire to hopefully sooner than later. And Swabby so good to hear from you. Have a great week. My youngest turns 33 October 5th. Dimple glad your mom is ok now.All of you have a great week and night.
BelleBayard
Send Message
I learned with my kids to become quite creative, but I fear my daughter wasn't. It was definitely cringe-worthy for a while, but now that my granddaughter is 9 instead of 3 she's not doing that any more. It's a bit cooler this morning finally, but we never get cold enough to have trees changing, except in our fairly low mountains. My daughter's posted some pictures on FB of her family and some of the gorgeous trees changing color. I can hardly wait. Grats on your child's birthday - my daughter turned 32 in June and we had our 33rd anniversary on September 17th. Have a good one all.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings everyone.

The eclipse was blocked by clouds here as well Fortunately, my friend Lisa and I managed to see the gorgeous super-moon as we drove down to the marina for photos. Oh well. ES, I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it.

Fall has come gently to my part of the world. Makes me think of Hobbits on these cool, quiet nights.

Awelyn - Sounds as if you need a rest to recover from that babysitting experience. I admire your calm in trying to change your granddaughter's imitating her daddy. Kids- they sure hold up a mirror to our behaviour, don't they ?

We've been enjoying the last of the tomatoes from the garden. I have the plant in a pot, which I move into the garage every night because the temperature has been dropping. We actually had frost this week, later than normal for us. Next job will be to take off the covers from the gazebo for the winter and then take in the beets and carrots.

Last week I made two batches of crab apple jelly. Love the rich fuschia colour !

I am working hard at reading The Satanic Verses. Some parts are hard to read because they are collections of poetic and descriptive phrases, but without much narrative to make sense of them. Others are more like what I expect in a novel. A lot of it seems symbolic, so reading the book feels like work as I try to keep track of characters and figure it all out. Ah well, will persevere as it IS interesting.
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I also got a good glimpse of the blood moon between 4 and 5 AM Monday morning here in Germany - though the reason was not so amusing (I hadn't planned on looking at it): sleep was a tad elusive and capricious that night.

@Neenime: I have yet to start a re-read of The Satanic Verses, having been sidetracked by Douglas Adams and (mostly) his "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series. Keeping track of threads was difficult, as I remember. But JRRT's works and those of Douglas Adams present you with similar "who the *bleep* is that supposed to be???" problems.
awelyn418
Send Message
Belle I bet the trees do look lovely there now.
Neenime it is becoming difficult but I am working with my granddaughter so that next year she can go to preschool half a day next year. She has to be potty trained and go through a screening and if she does go it will be a help. It is free but if she is not chosen I am talking to her mother. I love them both dearly but this is also my time. I will do what needs to be done but my husband and I need some time to travel and enjoy the years we have left. I love fresh tomatoes they taste so much better than the ones you buy in the store.
We had such a good viewing of the blood moon too Gandolorin. It was not that late though.
Have a good weekend. I am off to snuggle under the covers it is very chilly tonight.
awelyn418
Send Message
Have a great Monday. My daughter Autumn is 33 on Monday October 5th. We have had a cloudy, chilly day today. I watched some excellent programs tonight on PBS-Keep the Home Fires Burning,and Indian Summer. There were so good. Well, off to bed goodnight and have a great day tomorrow.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
We had the 25th anniversary of Germany's reunification last Saturday; with stores being closed on Saturday, some inhabited places seem to have had the rare shopping Sunday, from what I vaguely gathered (24/7 is still an extremely rare occasion here when it comes to real face-to-face people interactions. Internet ... whatever)
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
I have been busy working outside during the week-end starting to get my flowers to sleep for the winter.It was a beautiful saturday and sunday, cool, sunny with the smell of autum leaves falling on the ground.I love this time of the year.Today I mow the grass for the last time.I still have 3/4 of work to do but I still have all the rest of the month to do it and I really enjoy it and I have nice and joyful company with my little bull

Enjoy the fall!
awelyn418
Send Message
Dimple I know you do so love working outside with your garden. We are having very nice weather too. This is also my favorite season. Enjoy my friend.
Gandolorindo they have celebrations on this day or is just a relaxing day for most?
Good night and have a great weekend.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
With it being the 25th (or silver) anniversary of reunification, there were certainly big celebrations.
BelleBayard
Send Message
I would imagine so, Gandolorin. I remember the day the wall came down.

Well, we're back to ridiculously hot temps in the triple digits out here so what little rain we got on Monday has been sucked into the air. *sigh* Meantime, on the east coast there is way too much rain and flooding. :/
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
South Carolina was especially hard hit, as our media reported to my memory. Nobody needs that kind of ... ah - dung.

We have had afternoon temperatures around 60°F (15°C) or above, nights more in the low forties (when cloudy), or even freezing just above the ground (without any cloud cover). But no storms of any kind, thankfully.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Wonderful day in the garden today.it was a cool day max.at 8C with sunshine,there was no bugs for sure!I have one side of the house and the back done.I was hoping to finish it all during the week coming but there will be rain until next friday

Have a nice week end all
awelyn418
Send Message
I am exhausted this week. I am glad Dimple that you are getting some garden work done my friend.
Gandolorin I would like those temperatures. We are having temps in the 40F area at night and in the high 70's in the day time . Those are fine for me too.
Belle sorry I hope it gets better soon.
Goodnight friends.

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Yesterday was in the low 40s °F / around 6+ °C pretty much all day and a lot of the evening; it was overcast the whole time. Day before that, close to 35 °F. And places north-east (or NNE?) from here, and at higher altitudes, had the first snow. Closer to long-term averages than what we had before, is my guess.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Well we had our first snowflakes this morning,no accumulation it was melting on the ground.I better hurry to finish my garden work before it will fall for good.Very cool temperature and tonight a nice -4C I think it is about 23F or something near it.I'll put a nice and warm blanket on the bed tonight that's for sure.Talking about cold makes me crave for a hot chocolate drink.Want some?Here get cosy with a good bookAwelyn that will do you good to have a nice break after your busy week

Have a nice evening all!
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Snowflakes, Dimple! Image Oh no! Fortunately, we don't get much snow, but the rain has been making up for lost time considering the hot, dry summer here. I don't know how it happened, but one day it was summer and the next day it was autumn. There was no segue at all .... just, BAM! As my neighbour said, we're all still mentally in August and trying to figure out where September went. I just can't believe it's mid-October already.

awelyn, I hope you'll be able to catch up on your beauty sleep and get in some much need relaxation. It's really difficult looking after somebody's children, even if they're your grandchildren. Swearing seems to come with the territory at that age, mind you. Oddly enough, my neighbour has been having the same problem with her youngest granddaughter. She's a feisty one, and thinks it's pretty nifty when she aggravates grandma.

I haven't been doing too much other than dealing with the usual autumn gardening issues: pulling out dead plants, raking leaves, mowing lawns, planting pansies ..... and on and on. It never ends. I enjoy it but I also enjoy the reprieve that winter brings.

Have a great Friday and weekend! And, go Blue Jays!!!!

Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings all. I see that many of you are enjoying mild Fall weather. It is so here as well. I have been gradually putting the yard to bed for the winter, doing pruning and covering up flower pots. Twice now there has been an eagle soaring overhead while I worked. What a wonderful gift!

We had a lovely Thanksgiving last weekend, especially because our youngest son came home for a friend's wedding and was able to stay the whole weekend. He brought a fellow resident- lovely young man from Mexico. We had much to be thankful for.

When I look at how things are around the world, I am reminded how fortunate I am to live in Canada where we are free, healthy, educated, employed, able to live cooperatively and enjoy an excellent standard of living. This is a great gift and I am happy that my parents, both refugees of WWII, ended up here.

I am also grateful to know such delightful folk as you. How wonderful that we can share this common interest through the magic of the Internet. I raise a pint in your honour !

Gandolorin- that sounds like a great celebration. I remember seeing footage on the news of The Wall coming down. It was a historic and meaningful event. To think how many lives were lost trying to escape across it and how the country was split into two realities by it. Do you think that the unification has been successful? Or are people still identified with one side or the other ?

Go Blue Jays, indeed! Normally I hate baseball, but was glued to the TV on Wednesday night to see our lads victorious. Great game. The rest of you should know that the Jays have not been particularly successful the past few years and they are our only major league team, so Canadians are super proud of them. They've had a real comeback this year.

Below are two items from the latest edition of Amon Hen. One is a link to an item from Gloucestershire that we Tolkien fans will find smile-worthy:

http://m.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Tribute-Tolkien-s-Hobbit-farmer-Maggot-Bamfurlong/story-27508252-detail/story.html

And here are homes reminiscent of the Elvish platforms (fleets?), by a Dutch architect. I am not sure that he or she was directly inspired by Tolkien, but the reporter certainly saw a connection.
http://www.fastcoexist.com/3047952/in-these-urban-forest-neighborhoods-the-houses-are- disguised-as-trees

[Edited on 10/16/2015 by Neenime]

[Edited on 10/16/2015 by Neenime]
BelleBayard
Send Message
Wow... those were very interesting, Neenime. The Elvish tree homes were flets and usually were above the ground, but I can see where these could be looking similar to what Tolkien envisioned.

For the weather here - sprinkling, but temps still in the 80's and next week back to the 90's. I am more than ready for fall and winter. I'm melting and I think it's making my migraines worse.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
@Evil~Shieldmaiden - do you get El Niño effects on Vancouver Island? I've read somewhere that meteorologists are worried about the one brewing up currently, with record-breaking potential (which is NOT good!). If I remember correctly, this means heavy rains in the eastern Pacific region, and severe drought in the western Pacific, perhaps even extending into the Indian Ocean as far as western eastern Africa.

@Neenime - there are still some gaps to close, but they have narrowed. Just as a comparison, the gap between the north of Italy (say above the "shaft" of the "boot" ) and the south (maybe the "ankle" and "toes and heel", and certainly Sicily) may by now be larger than our west-east gap. Also, I sometimes have the impression that the discussion implies a monolithic west and a monolithic east, and also that reunification means the east westernizes.

Of course there are no such monoliths. Now I know a little about the border area between northern Bavaria and Thuringia, and the western part of Saxony. First, northern Bavaria is actually Franconia, only added to the Bavarian kingdom of the Wittelsbacher by some oddball Corsican in the very early 19th century. The people living on both sides of these state borders - Thuringia, western Saxony, Lower Franconia and Upper Franconia - share much more in common than any of them share with the "Old Bavarians" (which would be Upper and Lower Bavaria and the Upper Palatinate). For western Thuringia, the commonalities would probably be more pronounced with eastern Hessia. Moving north, you have western Saxony-Anhalt and eastern Lower Saxony, and at last western Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and eastern Schleswig-Holstein.

So anyone boo-hooing about remaining differences (except for some financial ones) is either trying to kid himself, or others. The inhabitants of the northern coastal cities of Germany - Hamburg, Bremen, Lübeck, Rostock etc - will always have more in common with their Scandinavian respectively Baltic, and also British Isles neighbors, than they will with the south German cities in Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg. The latter will again have much more in common with their Austrian, Swiss, French, north Italian, and likely Czech neighbors.

And last, I can't resist throwing in the lower Rhine area of North Rhine-Westphalia, centered (I am biased in this view, but not without reason) on Cologne, my ancestral city from which my parents and grandparents came from: their affinity clearly goes towards the Netherlands.

I just looked at my notebook clock and can hardly believe I'm running off at the keyboard like this at 17 minutes past midnight local time. I promise it will not happen again for quite some time!

[Edited on 10/16/2015 by Gandolorin]

[Edited on 10/19/2015 by Gandolorin]
awelyn418
Send Message
Oh Neenime I am so glad you had a happy holiday and got to visit with your son.Very interesting reading too.
ES I did get extra rest and my husband and I decided we are sleeping in tomorrow instead of going to church because it is Lily's 3rd birthday and we are having her celebration at a lake about 30 minutes from my town. It would be crazy to run to church rush back and get a bit to eat and rushed to her party to much stress for me. So we are sleeping in as We would miss our naps. going to her party.I am glad you did get some rain and find it interesting your neighbor and I are having similar problems with our grandchildren. At nap time on Friday Lily said why do I have to sleep all day Grammy folding her arms in frustration on her chest as she was lying down. I said only an hour remember it is a happy nappy. I also have got the baby on schedule to nap when she does also. It makes my life so much easier. I have been decorating outside for Autumn and Halloween today so restful and fun for me.
Dimple snow all ready oh my goodness. We are going to have very cool temperatures here tonight. I had to bring in my house plants and I am putting an extra blanket on my bed.
Belle I will be so glad when you can retire.
Gandolorin that was a very interesting read. I would like to find out what region my German grandfathers relatives were from so I need to speak to my aunt.
Have a great Sunday everyone.

[Edited on 10/19/2015 by awelyn418]
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Snow again today enough to have the grass all white,tonight with -9C the snow will go nowhere.it supposed to be milder next week so I hope I will have the chance to finish my work in the garden.

Have a nice afternoon all
awelyn418
Send Message
Dimple oh no snow again, I hope you do get a chance next week to work in your yard. Have a great day my friend .
<< First1112131415Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email