Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1617181920Last >>
Author Topic:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Interesting discussion on languages. Not sure both sides of the brain would be enhanced. The language centre is Broca's Area in the left brain, but all tasks involve coordination between multiple areas of the brain. Generally, however, the more skills you learn and practice, the better for your brain health, especially as we age.

I am fascinated by languages also and the meanings of words. Have found myself almost adopting the accents when I visit someplace ! My father, had he not been displaced by the war, would have studied languages at university. He spoke Ukrainian, some Russian and German, picked up a little Italian when he was in a prison camp there, then learned to speak English really well. He could imitate the cadence of many languages.

I grew up speaking Ukrainian and still do fairly well. I can make my way in basic French, at least enough to survive a couple of days In France on vacation. So, French helps me to take reasonably good guesses at other Romance languages and at Latin. I've taught myself to write in Elvish script but have not been brave enough to try and learn the languages. Sure admire those folks who have taken that on. Sign language- excellent, Awelyn!

Easter- Ostara connection is interesting, as is the fact that many pagan customs and holy days were adopted by the Christian church In an effort to convert European pagans. We are all connected somehow. Now if only we could get along better!

Awelyn- condolences, again, about losing your sweet dog. <hugs>

It became quite Spring-like here and we lost much of our snow last weekend. Today, however, we are getting the tail end of a Wisconsin storm. Snow has been falling heavily all day and it's that wet, greasy kind that's hard to drive in. Barely made it up the road in my little car. Hoping it melts tomorrow. Wishing you all the joy of the coming Srping. We have made it through another winter! Hooray! Life returns anew. * doing the happy dance*
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
NEENIME: If ever you want to practice your french I'm all available for you my friend

It's not very spring-like here with the temperature at -10C but I can feel that the sun is warmer so that's a good thing!I will not do the happy dance yet but I'm glad you can Neenime.

Have a nice evening all
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
First day of Spring and it some areas of Missouri they had snow. It melted but our temperatures are cooler.My wee Lily has been in the hospital she has a kidney infection. She was there 5 days and is home now. It was very scary for her with an IV and all those nurses and doctors. But I will spoil her a little tomorrow. We also attended my husband sister's funeral and I will miss her but glad her suffering is over. Have a great week.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Happy 1st official day of Spring to everybody! We're definitely well underway season wise here on the Island. The spring bulbs are all up and blooming, and the hummingbirds have returned from their southern winter regions.

I hope everybody has a great week, and I hope your granddaughter is feeling better in no time, awelyn.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings all.

Our local group had its 10th annual Tolkien Reading Day yesterday. Twenty-four of us gathered to enjoy displays, share readings, listen to Middle-Earth-inspired music, eat themed food, colour, take trivia quizzes and meet new Tolkien enthusiasts. More people turned up in costume this year, so we are pleased about that.

I also received notification from the Tolkien Society that there is a Tolkien convention planned for Minneapolis on Nov 4-6 this year. It's quite feasible for Thunder Bay folks to attend, since we can drive there in about 8 hrs. Here is the web site, in case any of you are interested.

http://tol-con.com/
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
sindarinelvish
Council Member
Send Message
Hi Everybody! How are you all doing? I need to come back here more often...some of the best people I know are here!
SindyE Nad dithen carnen an gwend.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Thanks,Sindy... we're pretty quiet at the moment. Good to see you!
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Image I'm so excited my new appliances arrived today and they look awesome! I replaced all five of them which were 20-30 years old.

And yesterday I bought a new car: a 2016 Hyundai Tucson. They didn't have a basic model in stock in the colour I wanted so they've ordered one which is, apparently, on a freighter somewhere between Korea and Canada. LOL I will take delivery in 3-4 weeks.

I'm exhausted right now so I'm heading off to bed early to try and catch up on some sleep.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
I'm happy there are quite a few over 40's on the site. The language pages seem to attract mostly youngsters.
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Yep, there are actually a number of us.
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
Hello, all. ES, it sounds like you're enjoying Christmas in March! Hyundais weren't that well thought of a few years ago, but now they're right up there with some of the best. Welcome, dirk_math. Some of us are quite a bit past 40. (At 68, I may have seen too many winters)
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Welcome to the Fans Over Forty thread dirk_math! I'm also 28 years past it, like swabby.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Had my twentieth anniversary of FoF "eligibility" recently. Or, as I put it in another thread, I progressed from FoF2 to FoS1.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Swabby: I don't believe for one minute that you have seen too many winters,I'm sure time will let you see many more to come.Nice to see you

dirk_math:welcome to our senior citizens forum...or maybe not people are not always what they seem lol!

Sindy: hello nice to see you

We celebrated my mother 104th birthday on the 26th of march.She was quite pleased and I must say she looks pretty good for her age.We had fun,we didn't rock and roll but we enjoyed each other and it was very pleasant.

I'm just looking at the window right now and there are big,fat and unwelcome snowflakes coming down just like it is nothing at all.I told them to go snowflaking somewhere else but it doesn't seem to work! Ahhhh!

Have a nice evening all
awelyn418
Send Message
Oh Swabby so good to see you and I am 63 and have a birthday this month and I agree with Dimple you have not seen to many winters my friend. Dimple I am sorry the snowflakes would not obey but maybe that won't last for long.Your mother is an amazing woman. I am glad you had a good time at her party.Hello and welcome dirk_math. We are pleased that you are here and please come often.
Hello Sindy you have been missed.
Gandolorin LOL.
ES that is great and it is exciting replacing things you have had for years. A new car that is wonderful. Hello Belle and Neenime. Today was a beautiful day. I pulled weeds from my tulips. I attended church this morning and came home and fixed brunch. I then took a wonderful cozy nap. I got up did laundry and cleaned the bathroom and did dishes and watered my plants. I felt productive. I also watched BBC The Midwives. I love that show and was on Facebook a bit. I feel very productive. I am off to bed now. You all have a great week and a great Monday.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Hello all.

Welcome dirk_math. Glad to have another "old timer" here. I hope you find the company appealing.

ES congrats on the new chariot. I've seen the Tuscons. They look good. I hope it drives well.

Dimple - what a great event for your mother. Blessings to her. How life must have changed since she was born !

Gandolorin- congrats on the recent birthday. You certainly qualify as an "elder", in the best meaning of the term. I always enjoy your posts. Same goes for you Swabby. In fact, all of you folks post a delightful mixture of sensible, funny, compassionate and interesting comments. It's always a pleasure to visit here !

Awelyn- I'm envious of your good weather. We just got a last of winter on March 17th, with about 30cm of snow. It's slowly melting but Spring is delayed hereabouts.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
NEENIME: My mother was born in 1912.She was 6years old when the first world war was over and 27years old when the second world war started and at that time they had to have coupons in order to buy butter,milk and other necessities.She remembers when the parlement of Québec voted for the right of the women to vote in an election and the right to be legally free from their husbands to sign checks,to open a bank account and so on.She has seen the church going down when a lot of people didn't beleive anymore and when the clerical staff was replaced by the civilian in the school and all the changes in society which she finds very complicated and a lot more.I have a picture of her when she was 6years old and when she was a young woman full of energy and when she married.I love looking at the pictures it reminds me that before she was a mother she was a child too and a woman with dreams of her own looking into her futur and when I look at her face I see all the wrinkles of laughter,of tears,of times under the sun when it was summer,her hands speak of hard times,hard work.I know all of that but when I see her I see only my mother and how much I am going to miss her when she'll be gone.

Snow today again 8 to 10cm and tomorrow rain and again another 10cm of snow.I'm not laughing at all!!

have a good evening all.
BelleBayard
Send Message
No snow in Southern California, but front moving in for rain (we need it). Unfortunately, my migraine decided that it was a significant enough of a trigger that I awoke with a splitting headache. Went to work, but had to leave around noon to come home and lay down. Ugh... I'll be fine tomorrow (I hope). Throbbingly yours, Belle.

[Edited on 04/07/2016 by BelleBayard]
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Dimple - what a great description of your mother ! Such a full life.

Yes, we have more snow here as well. Only a few more centimeters but it's bringing people down. We all want to see grass and get into our gardens ! What we need is more patience. Spring weather will come in just a few weeks.

I've returned to the Silmarillion, after not reading it for some time. I joined the book club here, led by Potbelly Hairfoot and am enjoying some interesting discussions. It sure is hard keeping track of all those character names and their groups !

[Edited on 04/13/2016 by Neenime]
awelyn418
Send Message
Neenime we have had some cooler temps but it has been nice. I hope you see Spring very soon. I have all ways found the Sil a difficult read. I listened to it on computer and enjoyed it that way more than reading.
Belle sorry about the migraine but know you need the rain. I hope you feel better tomorrow.
Dimple what a wonder history and legacy you have from your mother. I love the way you decribe her life. You are very lucky to have had her with you so long. I hope you have Spring visit you soon. Have a good week.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Reading Dimple's account of her mother's life brought back warm memories.

My grandfather was born on the 27th of November, 1887 and died on the 8th of December, 1989 at 102. I used to love talking to him about all the amazing things he had seen over his lifetime, especially about his life before the turn of the 20th century. I would ask questions for hours and he would delight me with tales of his boyhood in Germany. Due to odd family circumstances, I was the only one of his four grandchildren he saw, and I still wonder if my cousins realise how much they missed. I loved him very much and was much loved by him.

His eldest son, my father's eldest brother, was born on the 6th of August, 1911 and died on the 25th of May, 2015 at 103. His life would have somewhat paralleled your mom's. He and my father were close so I spent many hours in his company. Owning a new and used bookstore in Vancouver, he encouraged my love of books by "hiring" me at the age of ten so I could "earn" a set of The Books of Knowledge. Thereafter, I worked for him until I finished high school, always being paid in books.

My grandfather and uncle were two of my favourite teachers and mentors, and I carry with me still all the lessons, information, and love they gave me.

May your mother stay well and continue to bless your life for a few more years, Dimple.

[Edited on 04/14/2016 by Evil~Shieldmaiden]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
We've had some useful rain here since near the end of last week, so the greening is progressing. But the progress is still quite restrained. That record-setting drought (for our circumstance) of 2015 seems to have caused a lot of trees serious issues from which they still have to recover, and very likely means that ground-water levels also need serious replenishing - so anything with shallow roots has no cause for exuberance.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
ES:It's a wonderful story but it's more than that,it's the way people lived with the memory of their time it is a part of history too.Being paid in books was not wages but a gift and a love for books and knowlege.Umberto Eco said one time that people who don't read live only one life but the ones who read live a thousand lives,may you live as long as your teachers and mentors.

We had a wonderful springtime week-end lot of sunshine and warmth and the grass is starting to show, some of the bedplants took off their snowblanket.It made me happy all week-end and I felt the energy coming back after the long winter.
BelleBayard
Send Message
A bit of rain last week, but none this week and temperatures are climbing already here in San Diego. However, on the other end of the spectrum, my daughter and her family have been snowed in since Friday night with about 3 feet of the white stuff. They are looking for someone to plow their driveway. Definitely have to look into that as we don't have a plow or snow blower at all.
awelyn418
Send Message
ES what a lovely story and legacy that your grandfather and Uncle left. I always loved to hear my mom and dad talk about their growing up but alas they hardly ever did for me. I did not make that mistake with my children.
Dimple so glad you are having Spring weather.
Belle I will be so glad when you can retire. I hope you have rain soon Belle.
Gandolorin I hope you have more rain soon.
Have a great weekend.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Well, the deed is done... The house is sold and we must be out by June 15, much more precipitously than I had thought. Now to find somewhere to live until we retire. Sorting and packing is so painful. Too many things after 25 years in this house non-stop and more than that of owning. Internet access will be spotty for quite awhile, but will try to be on at least daily to check the forum.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Congratulations on selling your house, Belle. I know what you mean about having too much stuff. I'm in the process of starting to "declutter" myself. It's astonishing how much stuff I have!

My new car is finally sitting on my driveway. I've gone from a basic 1997 "no frills" vehicle to one that is state of the art. It's actually a bit intimidating. I should have loads of fun figuring things out.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Aaahhhhh - just guessing here, but should your "sota" allow you to surf the Internet, I would seriously advise against RDTT or any Games Forums unless immobile in a parking space!
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Good for you Belle, congratulations!Isn't it amazing the things we acculate during all those years.Things we think the daughther or son might want,things we don't want to give away because it reminds us something good,things we think we need just in case and things we don't even remember there in the corner of the basement waiting to be rediscover again.It's a real headache sorting them out but it might be fun too... depending how much fun we want to have lol!Good luck

It's been a beautiful day today,we still have some snow but we're getting there.Did a little bit of bedplant on the ones
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Continuing...

On the ones free of snow.It was so nice to be out in the sun after the very long winter.My energy is slowly coming back.Yeah!
BelleBayard
Send Message
That is so true, Dimple. However, I'm being rather ruthless as I don't want to clutter up our retirement home. LOL... Asked son and daughter what they wanted to keep and not nearly as much as I thought. Heh... We have yet begun to fight... er... sort.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Never mind the clearing out of apartments I've experienced in the last decade or so when relatives had to vacate them for diverse reasons. My wife and I have moved twice since we moved into our first common apartment more than a quarter of a century ago. With each of the two moves, the size of the new apartment grew by more than 100 square feet each time. We did remove the amount to be moved last time (2008 ), but not by any serious amount. And the "incomings" which were the vast majority of what led to cluttering up of our pre-2008 apartment have remained the same - books. But here, I remain unapologetic (so far). Because: when I go to our favorite local bookstore to pick up a book I have specifically ordered, I often end up leaving the bookstore with more than just what was ordered. But then, barring the occasional DVD, what my wife (and our closest friends) gives me for Christmas or birthday gifts have been - books.

[Edited on 05/15/2016 by Gandolorin]
awelyn418
Send Message
Ah books are my downfall too Gondolorin. I have started reading more on my Kindle App for that reason.
Belle I am so happy for you if only you could retire early now. I will try to take up the slack. But congratulations my friend.
Dimple I hope all your snow is gone and that you will be digging in all your flower beds soon. My roses are blooming and smell so good.
ES what a car and I have often thought of getting a new car and yours sounds fantastic.
Mother's day has come and gone. April 27th I went to a gathering where where our own Hairy Proudfoot attended with his lovely wife Lydia. It was our Tolkien gathering and for five days and four nights I was in Middle Earth. Also with Sindy and and two others that use to visit here. It was so much fun and very relaxing.
After I came back my 15 year old grandson Ethan had to have surgery to fix a condition he was born with pectus something slang funnel chest. His ribs were not in the correct position and was pressing into his lungs. He had to have a steel bar put it to push the ribs into correct position. He is breathing better and is recovering. His recovery period is 8 weeks. It has been a week and 2 days since his surgery. He is home and doing very well. But still has a lot of pain. He will have the bar in for 3 years. Mom is going to be gone this weekend and I am going there to be his nurse. Have a great week.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Thank you, awelyn. I truly appreciate that. Don't have much time on the computer right now and things will probably become tighter as time goes on until the big day - which is still to be determined. Glad to hear about your grandson and yes, it will take quite a bit of time for him to recover. Wishing all the very best.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Well, I'm a bit shell-shocked. I started actually looking for a dog on Monday and found one I liked on a rescue site out of Victoria. I sent in an application and they contacted me immediately. They have several dogs up for adoption and one of them seems to be a good fit so I'm off to Victoria this afternoon to look him over.

A friend of the rescue lady came up and checked my property last evening and she was suitably impressed with my "bullmastiff" fencing. Hopefully a 25 pound dog won't get out, but I will do a thorough check before he comes. The lady who checked out the yard will be going down to Victoria on the long weekend (23rd?) and can bring him up Island if we suit. She is happy to keep him for the following week and bring him to me on the 28th. That will give me enough time to prep my house for him. I will keep you abreast of developments.
<< First1617181920Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email