Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1819202122Last >>
Author Topic:
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Mae govannen. I hope you are all enjoying good weather.

Hubby and i are currently in southern Ontario, visting family, capturing our bird friends in photos, getting lots of verandah therapy. Today we will travel to Kingston for some sightseeing and to meet our son Nick. He's been in Montreal for the Osheaga music festival then to Ottawa to meet friends. Tomorrow we will do some wine touring near Kingston. The city itself is of historic significance and has many beautiful limestone buildings, as well as Fort Henry from the days of French-English conflict in North America. We'll have a few days with him here before he returns to work and studies in Winnipeg. His Baba will be thrilled to spend time with him.

Yesterdays treat was a slow meander through a rock gaden as oart if the Royal Botanical Gardens for which Hamilton-Burlington are famous. It was good exercise for my mother-in-law, who is 87 and working at about half speed with much-weakened heart. She did well, taking her time and stopping at various benches when the need arose. We made an evening of it and enjoyed the time together.

What are all of you up to these days?
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
After being terribly hot the past couple of weeks it's been overcast and muggy, though a bit cooler. Had a migraine yesterday and a sore throat today. Still, life is good.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
*galoop galoop galoop* 'Classic' (non-PC) Wizard of Id followers will get this one ..... The Midnight Double Post Deleter Strikes Again!Image

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far. Oscar and I are at Obedience School right now. It's certainly nice to be working with a dog that has had basic training in the past. It makes me look so good. LOL

Enjoy your holiday Neenime!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Neenime said:Mae govannen. What are all of you up to these days?

My wife and I enjoyed a Medieval banquet and Festival a few weeks back. It is one of the highlights of our year. I wish I had HEAPS of money to spend on costumes, weapons, armour and other bling! These days, been working and fighting off a case of hay feaver... in this case... Wattle fever. The Wattle flowers are blooming and covering everything in pollen. Spring is coming! Today I'm watching the opening of the Olympics while I write some.

[Edited on 08/18/2016 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
I had to put another dog down last week. I am so glad Diego was left in my backyard. He has helped with the loss. I love watching the Olympics and have been following them closely.
I have also been doing 22 pus-ups a day for 22 days to bring awareness for the 22 veterans that commit suicide a day. Today was day five.
My grandson was one years old Saturday and he gave me my first kiss on purpose from him yesterday.
Arveleg so good to hear from you. I wish I had more money to spend on costumes myself. LOTR 's costumes that is.
Belle I hope you feel better.
Neenime have a grand adventure.
ES have fun with your doggy. We have had wet weather this summer. But I have enjoyed my summer. Went to see my son and had two grandchildren for two weeks. I have no reason to complain. Have a good week.
My
BelleBayard
Send Message
Didn't have enough water yesterday and have a headache, but it will get better. Weather's been horridly hot and fires here in Southern California have NOT been helping. One up in Los Angeles area is wreaking havoc with people's lives. One down here in San Diego they got control of, thank the powers that be and our dedicated firefighters. Hoping all are doing well. Sorry for your loss, awelyn. Never easy... Off to work I go.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings. My post from this morning seems to have disappeared into te ether. Strange.

Awelyn- hugs to you. So hard to make that decision about a pet, yet we don't want them to suffer. Glad you have Diego for company. Your pushups for the PTSD suicides among the Armed Forces are a great campaign. It's important that we take this issue more seriously and give people the support they need. There is a movement to recognize it among paramedics as well. I think a lot of emergency and medical workers need to deal with it as well. Kudos to you- a heartfelt gesture and one that is also good for your heart!

Arveleg- ooooo, so envious ! I adore medieval history, decorative arts and swords. If i could, i would fur ish our whole house in that style! So glad you had the chance to enjoy the festival.

Enjoying the closing ceremonies of the Rio Olympic games. Love the dancing!

Had a great bike ride today and enjoying the more temperate climate here. Just came back from 2 weeks in S. Ontario where the temperature was way too hot. The worst day was 35C ( 95F), but the humidity made it equivalent to 42C ( 197F). Too much for me. My mother-in-law has poor circulation from a weakened heart, so she freezes when she puts on the air conditioner, while we sweat it out on the second floor at night. Thank goodness for fans , otherwise we'd have had no sleep at all. Ah well, at least we don't generally get tornadoes. Winter is so long that we try not to complain too much about summer!

How many of you garden? How are your flowers and veggies doing? We will certainly get some great tomatoes after an unusually hot July and August.

Hoping you've all had a lovely Sunday.

[Edited on 08/22/2016 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
We've had our first, thankfully short (about a week without precipitation) taste of drought here this year, with temperatures consistently above 25°C (77°F) and topping 30°C (86°F) for the last few days. The TV weather reports boneheadedly insist on putting a positive spin on it, great for going to the local swimming pool, for barbecues, picknicks, similar drivel. Last year's record drought did some serious damage, especially to coniferous trees, but some leaf-bearing trees have also succumbed. Two had to be felled on the north-west side of the small meadow we look upon from our balcony last week. Both grew very close to buildings, and both had produced hardly any leaves so far this year. Most of the trees around where we live (solitaires in the meadow, and in the forest perhaps 100 feet to the south) are of the fir type, so they may still be struggling to recover from last year's drought.
The hot weather will be coming to an end this Sunday, changing to partly cloudy and not topping 25°C starting tomorrow (as we had the previous week or weeks), but there are warnings of stormy weather along the coasts, the parts of western Germany bordering on the Netherlands and Belgium (and inland), and the northern Alps regions of Baden-Württemberg and Bavaria. There have been tightly localized severe downpours this summer, trashing single towns (or flooding parts of cities), with hardly any precipitation not very far away. The weather is getting uncomfortably digital.

[Edited on 08/28/2016 by Gandolorin]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
All,

has anyone had any contact with PotbellyHairyfoot through other channels? We had been discussing the Silmarillion in the Book Club under his guidance, and I just checked and saw that his last post was on 04 July. We had started in early March, then he mentioned some health issues on May 24, that they had not quite subsided on 05 June, that he was heading out for a vacation of two week starting 28 June in a post on 14 June in the Book Club Info Spot. His last post mentioned above was in the discussion thread "SQ 13- of the Return of the Noldor". This is coming up to being two months ago, and it's not the first time I've wondered "is he OK?" Does anybody know anything?
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
He has been on site since then, but has been busy with Masonic business, according to his Facebook postings. Hopefully, he will take up the book again, although there hasn't been a whole lot of discussion on the Chapters we've covered so far, despite the apparent earlier enthusiasm by members.

On a personal level, my house is almost finished being painted but we've been stymied by showery weather, and can't seem to get the final touches done. Two of my neighbours, and a friend, have done all the work and it looks fabulous. They have fixed my garden shed, and rebuilt the dog house I had for my bullies. Oscar now has a wee palace with two windows! They're spoiling him rotten.

Not sure what the weather is like elsewhere, but Autumn seems to have arrived here, if unofficially, The gardens are pretty done and I've started pulling out some of the plants already. The seasons seem to be about three weeks out of whack this year. Autumn is my favourite season so I'm happy with the cooler weather.

It's bedtime so I'm heading off as soon as I play a game, or two, or more. LOL Have a great Thursday everyone.
awelyn418
Send Message
Hello everyone. Thank you Neenime that is something I am personally involved with because of my son's PTSD . The young man that challenged people was so surprised and happy that I completed it he double the money contribution in my name. I was honored and I can see where the medical responders would experience it too. ES I love Autumn to and our Autumn weather is suppose to start next week. Gandolirin glad you had rain. I have seen Potbelly H on Facebook and did not know of the medical issues. But he has been on FB. Hello Dimple. Have a good week.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Finally some rain! We've had at least four weeks straight with practically no precipitation. At least it wasn't a heat wave, though some days topped 30°C (86°F), many more hovered around comfortable 25°C (77°F), and nights as a rule (clear skies) dropped some degrees below 20°C (68°F). But the warning page on the TV's video-text, having been about the increasing dangers of forest fires as per yesterday, today flipped over to possible heavy rainfalls (perhaps more near the Alps, quite a bit south of here). What we have had so far today is a steady rainfall, nothing nearly excessive, and very much needed. The meadow, having been mowed the odd week ago, and having started to look decidedly parched and yellow, now seems to be recovering quite nicely, with green spreading noticeably with just these few hours of rain of today. I guess since last year's severe drought I have become averse to long dry spells.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Back from Colorado. Whilst driving there saw a New Mexico license plate on a red late model Toyota "Smaug." Loved it! Glad to be back, but will be so happy once we are both retired and moved completely to Colorado.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I'm just over seven months away from my shift from the active phase to the passive phase of my early retirement agreement with the company. But we are certainly not planning on moving anywhere else, this is the third apartment we have shared in the 26 years of doing so, and the best so far (the matchless public transportation opportunities (frequent buses) of the first apartment were offset by living near one of the busiest intersections of our city - and never mind the far better living comforts of our present, larger apartment compared to the earlier one).
BelleBayard
Send Message
Sounds good, Gando. My husband wants isolation more than anything else, so the place I picked is a compromise. It's up in the mountains, BUT it's about 5 minutes from the fire station and 20 minutes from the hospital. Shopping will be a once a month trek. Heh...
awelyn418
Send Message
hello I have finally made it on here. I tried for a week and nothing. It would say CouncilofElrond.com not responding. So glad I am finally back. I love read all. Have a great week.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Mae govannen, my friends. How fare you ?

Gandolorin, glad that you finally got some rain. wishing you well as your retirement approaches.

Belle- your compromise sounds pretty clever. Perhaps the limitied shopping access will be a bkessing in disguise. I find that the more often we go, the more stufff we pick up!

My own husband is starting to talk actively about retiring from his position. We are even considering a move to be closer to his family. It would only be fair, as he acceeded to my wish to raise our family near my parents. It would be a huge displacement for me, not only to move from family and my few friends, but from the land. This part of the country is barely carved out of the rocks and wilderness ( similar to Minnesota and ther northern states of the USA). I love it dearly and don't look forward to the constant noise and light pollution of the highly settled south. On the other hand, there are many beautiful areas there, more cultural opportunities, a strong historical tradition and other family. We shall see how it goes.

Awelyn- welcome back. Sorry you had so much trouble getting in. I am happy for you that your campaign for your son and PTSD went well.

ES- hoping that by now, you house painting and such are done. Its a lovely feeling of satisfaction when we can look at what the hard work has achieved. Enjoy!

Just got notification that the latest edition of Amon Hen has arrived in my In-box. Off to read! We are visitng our son in Winnipeg for Thanksgiving. Its good to see him again.

Be well.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Where does your husband come from, Neenime? Mine's from Virginia and while it's lovely, even HE doesn't want to go back there to live. We will be closer to our daughter, but not sure where my son will end up after he gets out of the Navy next May. He's talking Portland, Oregon area, but we shall see - possibly Seattle. Hope I get to see him in the future. Still, if he's on the mainland, at least I can drive to him. Right now he's in Hawaii and that is NOT easy to get to (I no longer care for flying). Only time will tell. They already had their first snow up there and we are barely cool at night and still VERY warm during the day. Will be an adjustment.

[Edited on 10/08/2016 by BelleBayard]
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Hello all,

I've been busy with family matters and gardening but hope that I will come more often now.

Awelyn,I'm sorry for your lost,it's always hard on the heart.

Everybody seems to go fairly well and I'm happy about it.

Weather wise it's been snowing not that much a little bit of flurries about 3weeks ago it didn't last but still it is a reminder of what is coming soon ): and I'm not impressed at all!The temp.during the nights had been below 0 for a couple of times but the days are nice and sunny without HUMIDITY. Autumn is my favorite season.

Most of my flowers has been put to bed for the next season but still I have a little bit more to do.

Beside all that everything is fine and life goes on as usual.

Have a nice evening and a good day tomorrow.
awelyn418
Send Message
Oh Neenime that would be a difficult adjustment. I hope things go smoothly if you both decide on the move when your husband retires.
Belle I know it will be an adjustment for you. But I know you are looking forward to the move.
Dimple good to hear from you. Today is my granddaughter Lily's 4th birthday. She has grown into such a little lady but she still lives cicadas and helping pick up sticks. She loves Halloween and all things creepy she told me. She also loves to sing and dance. I am looking for a dance school for her. She is such a fun little thing. I hope you all have a great week. We are having cooler temperatures and the trees are turning slowly. It is not suppose to be a pretty Autumn here but I am hopeful as this is my favorite season.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
We had good winds all week and the pretty colors of autumn are almost gone.It's raining since thursday night and it will go on until tuesday.

Are you getting ready for Halloween?Do you decorate with pretty ghosts and monsters and pumkins at your doors? I don't decorate because there are almost no children around and the ones we have prefer to go to the village where they have music and activities for them.I used to buy treats just in case but ended up eating them with my daughter so I don't buy them anymore.

Hope you still have some colors in your trees to enjoy

Have a nice week-end.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
A grey day today with snow mixed with rain,no more colors on the trees,a good day to drink hot chocolate and sit with a favorite book.

A nice evening to you all
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
The latest wind and rain squalls have started to remove the leaves here, more successfully with some trees than others, although the temperature has been hovering in the lower teens. I have one final clean up to do in the yard, raking and mowing, and then I'm done until March.

My neighbour's put up decorations for Halloween, for the benefit of the other neighbours as we don't have any wee ones around either, although a little one will be moving into the house at the end of the road. Maybe next year she'll be old enough to canvass the neighbourhood. I'm not looking forward to the fireworks as one of the cats, and Oscar, are freaked out by them. Guess I'll be sitting on the bathroom floor settling frayed nerves.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Some trees have dumped most of their leaves, some are in the middle of it, some have started, some hardly. And if I remember correctly, those in a hurry do dump their leaves are the same ones that were most reticent about sprouting them in the spring (though everything was hesitant about sprouting after the massive drought last summer, and once again substandard precipitation since that summer). Read an article about attendance being down in the open-air pool facilities compared to "last year's record" - but still the fourth highest attendance in this century. People seem to have become utterly ignorant of the concept of drought; we're not in Andalusia in southern Spain here! From my by now 40-year memory of Germany, an average summer, if at all a bit on the dry side.

BTW Halloween, what's this garbage with horror clowns that's spilled over to Europe this year? Read somewhere that even Ronald McD has curtailed appearances except for special occasions.

Whoa!
Ronald ...
Mc ...
Donald .....
BelleBayard
Send Message
Gray and overcast, but little rain. Has been muggy though. Hope you all have a good Halloween/Samhain!
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message

Happy Halloween, everybody!
BelleBayard
Send Message
Very quiet here last night. No trick or treaters in our area at all now (used to have them in our old place) and I suspect same when we move to the mountains of Colorado. There's a chill in the air now, which I am glad of. Take care all!
awelyn418
Send Message
Dimple I do decorate for Halloween. Granddaughter Lily is like me and loves decorations and I am more than happy to oblige her. I only had 6 come and trick or treat but they were so sweet and polite. We still have foliage on trees and color. Our temps have been ridiculous for this time of year.
Gandolorien, I hate all the garbage about clowns. Really creepy.
ES have a great week.
Belle have a great week and glad you are having cooler temps. Goodnight.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
awelyn418 said:... Gandolorien, I hate all the garbage about clowns. Really creepy...

How the addition of just one little letter - e - doth change the meaning of a name! That was a good one, awelyn418, brought a wide smile to my face.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Here the police arrested one creepy clown on a quiet street near a park,he was scaring people off with his strange behavior,and it was during day time!!Really,really weird!

Now that Halloween has past let's think of something more joyous like Christmas

We had snow last night not that much but enough to have a white blanket without seing the green grass under,it all melted during the day because of the rain it was a grey day

Have a good evening all
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
My new bed and mattress arrived yesterday from Sears and they are awesome! I got up this morning with no pain in my lower back for the first time in ages. I got such an amazing deal on them. The bed was $1,200 and I paid $523 for it and the mattress was $1,400 and I paid $550 for it. It's a platform bed with six drawers and a beautiful headboard with shelves and cupboards.

My luck was holding because I decided that I deserved a new duvet and duvet cover/pillow shams. I bought a $225 duvet for $68 and a $200 cover and pillow shams for $63. Sears seem to be having some great sales these days. Apparently their third quarter earnings are down.

Anyway, I'm heading off to bed now. Sweet dreams everybody, and have a wonderful week.

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
When I read what the pre-sale prices were, meaning 2600 $ for one complete bed, my jaw hit the floor! But then, from what you wrote about quality, it may not entirely have been price-gouging. The post-sale prices sound more familiar compared to what we bought in 2004, though then again there is the issue of the $ to € conversion rate and inflation. As far as a mattress for my current bed is concerned, I definitely need a replacement. Bought in 2008 as a replacement with a slightly different focus than solely sleeping (the bed-frame hails from my bachelor days of over 30 years ago, the whole thing then did double duty as a bed and couch in a one-room apartment), it has by now deteriorated noticeably. Current prey description for the replacement: single-use (trash the couch bit) for an old fogey with bodily flexibility challenges.

[Edited on 11/07/2016 by Gandolorin]
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
Friends, I'm very, very sorry for what has happened here in America. For what it's worth, I didn't vote for him.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Sh*t happens. Weimar Republic (Germany) 1933 Reichstag election NSDAP 43,91%.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
SWABBY:you don't have to apologise it is the democratic way isn't not?Maybe he will do some good maybe not but has Mrs.Clinton said:''we have to give him a chance to lead,he is our president now''.Don't be discouraged things might brighten up,be hopefull

A good week end to all
<< First1819202122Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email