Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Mum's op went ok but they had a hard time getting her to wake up, took them 3 hours. She seems fine now though. Phew!
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Dimple I am the same when they start explaining my mind just shuts down.
tarcolan your moms garden is lovely and I think your cats are darling NenyaGold.
Belle glad you had a good time with your daughter and family..
Gandolorin glad you got the rain and how was your book?
Hello cirdaneth. Have a good Friday.
tarcolan
Send Message
mum update: having a whale of a time out of her head on morphine.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
tarcolan: 93 is a very advanced age for an operation. Have all fingers and toes crossed hoping she recovers to something like she was pre-operation. Image

Regarding Beowulf by JRRT and CRT, I found it a wonderful read. Not just the prose (with occasional noticeable alliteration) translation but the background material too. For JRRT freaks like me there are many names that lead to a "so THAT'S where he got it from" reaction. Re-read "The Legend of Sigurd & Gudrún" after that, all sorts of cross-references pop up there too.

(PS an ex-girlfriend of mine is named Gudrun ...)

Rain: we finally had some useful rain last Wednesday & Thursday, and some Monsoon-like thundershowers early evening yesterday. The ground is sucking it up like a sponge, no wonder that.
tarcolan
Send Message
Gandalf and many of the dwarves come straight from the Icelandic Eddas, as well as Oakenshield. Download it from gutenberg.org
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
My mother-in-law is 94, fell and had a hairline fracture of her upper arm near the shoulder. Had her on codeine for pain and same thing happened. One's body does NOT tolerate narcotics at that age at all. Will take awhile for that to get out of their systems, tarc.

For the naming thing... I remember reading that JRRT definitely utilized Nordic mythology to craft his stories and Finnish for a basis of his Sindarin and Quenya. Always fascinated by that sort of thing.
tarcolan
Send Message
I thought one of them was Welsh?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, Welsh was the basis for Sindarin, Finnish for Quenya.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
It was the structure of the languages that Tolkien used, but not the actual words. He was looking for a link between the evolution of Indo-European languages like Welsh and Finno-Ugric ones like Finnish which appear to be mutually exclusive. So he invented two languages with similar structure and tried to work out how one could become the other or both descend from something earlier. In the process he realised that languages change and develop with the experience of the peoples who speak them, so he had to invent peoples and their history, and the rest, as we know, ... is history.
awelyn418
Send Message
That is very interesting cirdaneth.
Gandolorin ,glad you enjoyed your book and that you did get the much needed rain.
tarcolan I am glad surgery went well but I to have reactions to morphine and other narcotics after surgery. I had hallucinations that were horrible and I at times would panic. I talked to people that were not there and it freaked my sister out at the time. I hope your mum gets better.
Belle speaking of hairline fracture my sweet little 20 month old granddaughter Lily had a tumble and has a hairline fracture on her wrist. She has a wee splint on it and goes Friday to the Orthopedic doctor Friday. They may have to cast it but it has been a week and they say it might heal before Friday and she would not need a cast. I have my fingers crossed.
Have a good night ow whatever it is where you live morning ,afternoon.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
TARCOLAN:my mum fell when she was about the same age.They put her on morphine too and for a while her behaviour was like ''out'of normal.She recovered nicely but it took awhile to get the narcotic out of her system.She walked for a few years with a cane.But now at 102 it is difficult for her to walk and she uses most of the time her wheelchair.I hope your mum recovers nicely too.Best wishes to her.

GANDOLORINidn't read Beowulf yet but I did read The legend of Sigurd and Gudrin and I had the same reactions with the cross references.It made me smile because I know now where the names come from or a part of it.

CIRDANETH: yes very interesting.Tolkien was a great philologist he had a sense of the structure of the language and how to make it work.Wonderful!

AWELYN: How is your granddaughter doing?Hope she is not in great pain.

Have a nice evening all
awelyn418
Send Message
Dimple they put a little pink cast on Miss Lily today I will send a picture to your e-mail. It is better than the splint. She has to wear it for three weeks. She is not in great pain. She has a little buy baby medicine like baby Tylnol and baby Motrin take care of her pain. She also has conjunctivitis or it is also called pink eye . She has to have drops 4 times a day. She does not like it. But she is a little trooper. Have nice evening too.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
AWELYNoor little one,she is not having a great time.I don't know if you send the picture yet,if you already did I didn't receive it,I'll let you know when I do
tarcolan
Send Message
Hot hot hot hot hot hot. It's hot. 28C (86F) is hot here. I wish I was at the seaside. My mum has been moved to the rehab hospital and she's moaning already, wants to go home. It might spur her on to exercise and get walking again.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Muggy and warm here. Has been around 70% humidity and in the high 80's to low 90's lately with the same expected next week. Rather uncomfortable. My mother-in-law fell and broke the top part of her upper arm near the shoulder. Because of her age and frailty they decided to just let it heal on her own. The pain meds are making her goofier than usual, but hopefully she will begin to mend. *sigh*
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Very sticky down here in Ashbourne too, Tarcolan, but morning and evening are lovely.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
We've finally had a couple of days of rain, but insufficient to make much of a difference. We've been up to 35C (95F) on a couple of occasions. Fortunately, the temperatures have dropped to a more reasonable level; currently it's 22C (72F) with a lovely breeze.

Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Stickty and wet here,very wet!Yesterday we had a thunderstorm with hail,very windy.The sunshine is coming back only on wednesday...they say.The gardening will have to wait I'm afraid

Finally the basement is all finished and the flood behind us.It took 2 full months to come back to normal and it was about time!.Now we can enjoy it,it is so pleasant when it's new

Have a nice evening all.
tarcolan
Send Message
Scary weather all over the US. Tornadoes where there shouldn't be any, forest fires and floods. What's going on?
BelleBayard
Send Message
Climate change in the worst way, whether Mother Nature or manmade, and not making anyone happy. We're so dry here I really worry about the fire season. Almost every single lawn is dead and gone on my street and most places that aren't HOA. The HOA seems to have no clue and fines it's members if they don't maintain their yards exactly so, despite water shortages. Seriously ridiculous. Been in the high 80's to mid-90's F over the past couple of weeks. My yard is non-existent, even the usually drought hardy ones.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
We finally had a break in the ever-recurring drought (by our standards) last Sunday, when it started raining. First a rather drenching downpour, but it then settled down to steady rain for at least six hours. But parts of our (100000 plus inhabitants - town? city?) suffered from insufficient drainage capabilities, so the water was knee-, thigh-, hip-high, occasionally even more.
We're very close to a forest in our section, and additionally have a lot of lawns-cum-meadows, which just slurped up the water like a dry sponge. More occasional showers up to yesterday (during the day - don't know what was going on during the nights), so lots of should-be-green stuff has recovered its color. Either tomorrow or latest in the weekend papers there should be statistics about how July measures up to long-term averages, my guess is that new or near records of drought will be reached. But is has looked worse since we moved here in 2008, probably a six-week or so no-rain period - everything looked sickly parched then.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
It's bad almost everywhere when it's not too much heat it's too much rain...a very bad situation.

Now,I know I said that I didn't want a dog anymore,but my hubby wants a dog badly so I told him that I would not stop him if he wants one(who am I to do that!!)I would miss the presence of that lovely beast if it's not around me but I think I could manage(really?)On the other hand if I have a lovely creature in my house I would be glad...very glad.So we looked around to choose a breed.A border coolie and an english bulldog.The border collie is a happy breed,energetic,loyal,intelligent, loving, good health overall and the type to say ''take good care of me and I'll do anything to please you".The english bulldog is phlegmatic,lazy bones,good with children,has a mind of his own,loyal,loving,healthwise...very fragile and the type to say ''take good care of me but I'll do whatever I want anyway''The border lives up to 13to 15years and cost half the price of the bulldog who lives up to 8 to 10years and much more expensive.

I think we made our choice.It will be a border collie and if everything goes right we'll have him around the end of september.It will be a male and we'll name him Felix.The pups are 5days old today,if there is no change we're going to see the pups tomorrow and at the same time visit the breeding farm.I'll let you know how it went.I hope I will not be disapointed,not all breeders are responsible.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Good luck, Dimple! Pups will chew and whine and must be house trained. Also, border collies are working dogs and will need plenty of exercise and/or a big place to run. It's their natural instinct to herd and have been herded by them when visiting a friend of mine. Lovely animals and truly sweethearts.

We got a day of light rain on Sunday, but now it's back to in the mid 80's with about that much humidity. The humidity is NOT the norm for this area and does nothing for the drought conditions. *sigh* I would so love to move to an area that is green most of the time. I'd even settle for snow in the winter as long as I don't have to work. However, appears I will be going NOWHERE for some time as husband had decided no way we are ready to retire for at least 3 more years, if that. I am not a happy camper and am feeling decidedly grumpy and miserable too much of the time. I need to stop that as I have it better than many folks in many departments. Still... I guess it's human nature to want what don't have and not appreciate what we do.
tarcolan
Send Message
Puppy! Oh you lucky thing Dimple, fantastic news. The best way to keep healthy, have a dog to drag you out for walks.

The grass is always greener, eh Belle? Three years isn't that long to start looking for some place to retire though.

Weather is still idyllic here, warm with summer showers. And so green! No bilberries though, they must not like warm winters. Never mind. Mum is staying in rehab for another two weeks but she's managing a few steps with the walking frame. Meanwhile we have been seeing how to adapt the house to make life easier for her. She's very chirpy, still moaning though and wanting to go home. Actually she just wants to get out into the countryside again, see all that green. Green, green, green...
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
We have finally had a bit of a break in the weather here, although we still haven't had any meaningful amount of precipitation. I've already starting pulling some of my annuals as they are dying off. The trees look like they're in autumn mode as the leaves are turning colour and dropping due to the drought-like conditions. They're expecting the weather pattern to hang around through mid-September.

Well done, Dimple! A border collie will get you out and about as they are high energy and need a lot of stimulation. I'm actually looking for a border collie, or border collie X, myself. Hopefully I will find something this fall.

swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
Dimple, I'm glad to hear you're ready for another dog. We had a border collie named "Ring" when I was a teenager. We lived in a rural area with lots of farms about, and Ring enjoyed raiding hen houses. (Yes, he sucked an egg or two, and probably the egg's mama) Several times I recall, he'd go missing for a while, then show up with some buckshot wounds. He got hit by cars while crossing the road, too. Always, he recovered, and without ever seeing a vet. We barely had money for food, so pets were on their own. One time, my stepdad decided to take Ring hunting with us which, as it turned out, was a terrible idea. I fired at a squirrel in a tree, Ring yelped, tucked in his tale and took off like rocket. We didn't see him again for three weeks. He always looked both ways before crossing the road in front of our house, but at age eighteen, with failing senses, he stepped in front of a car that did him in. Never will I forget that dog.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Finally, some before and after pictures of my gardens, plus an added bonus picture of Miss Eat-My-Plants as she happily grazed in the back yard. She now wistfully eyes the bounty but is unable to partake.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
BELLE:It's hard to wait for retirement,look at it this way,you'll have 3 years to think of what you want to do,change your mind,rethink it,change your mind again,you'll be busy making plans, and all that time will pass and you'll say oh retirement is here! 3years wasn't so bad after all.Be patient it's coming.

SWABBY:Yes,the dogs we love we never forget.

ES: very nice

WEdnesday we went to the farm to look at the border collie puppys.They are so nice, their eyes are not open yet and the mother is so gentle and friendly.The farm is very well kept and we could see that the breeder is responsible.We talk with him for a good hour because we wanted to be sure that it was a dog for us,once bought there is no turning back in my book.The border is a working dog and needs A LOT of exercise.The dog needs to be free in order to run to get his exercise.He needs A LOT of attention,he gets bored easily and can be destructive in the house.Because of his high intelligence he will be asking always for more to stimulate his mind and body,so two long walks a day are not sufficient,he will need to play in between and learn tricks.To be honest,it scared me.There is a difference between taking long walks and running the marathon.The breeder said that as soon as the puppy is ready for a new home,we'll have to start the training right away because if we wait too long we'll loose him and the dog we'll be difficult.

Just to show you how it is,the mother is 10years old and 6days after the birth of the puppys she was ready to go,go,go, and was on the move to play with the ball and the freesbe.He showed us also the other dogs,he called them'' my bombs''.You should see those beautiful dogs waiting to obey on the simple move of the master's hand or eyes and how quick they are to please.

Anyway we came back home and discussed it a little bit more and decided that it was really too much for us and the dog we'll be happier in a more suitable house.So we turned back to our first love the english bulldog who is totally the opposite of the other.The main point was really the question of health,the breeder said that it is like any other dogs for genetic defect,some will have this and other will have that.But because of his flat face,he has difficulty when it's too hot.It is more an inside dog,we will take walks with him but not as long.We really want a company dog and a four paws to love.We'll take a chance on him even if it's a foolish thing to do.We choose Felix for the Border but it's also nice for the bulldog and I like Leo too,we'll see.He will be ready to come home next week and I'm excited to have once again a lively being in my house.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Hello everyone. Good to see your posts. I hope that you're enjoying the summer and that tornado time has settled down.

Tarcolan, I hope your mum is recovering from surgery. It can be very hard on the elderly, especially the anaesthetic.

Bonjour, Dimple ! I hope that your new dog is adjusting well. You're right in thinking that there needs to be a good fit between type of dog and owners. I wish you all much happiness together.

ES your garden looks wonderful. That must have been a lot of work. Yes, protecting it from Miss Eat-My-Plants is wise. I lost all my beets and carrots to a marauder two weeks ago. It wasn't a deer, as I had a netting secured all around the perimeter of the garden. There were paw prints inside, which I think belong to a raccoon or something like that. I was so mad ! Fortunately, the intruder left our squash, cukes, beans and onions alone.

We are about to head to S. Ontario for vacation for 2 weeks. We'll be spending time with Bob's mum, his brother and family and my two brothers and sister. Looking forward to much "verandah therapy" and lots of reading. Someone gave me a beautifully bound, hardly used copy of Tolkien's POEMS AND STORIES, which I plan to read as well.

Wishing you all a wonderful summer. I hope to visit a bit more while I am on vacation,

“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
awelyn418
Send Message
Dimple so glad you are getting a new dog and the bull dog does sound a better fit for you and your husband.
Hello Swabby our beloved pets we always hold dear to our hearts.
ES beautiful garden . Thank you for sharing .
Belle I do understand how you feel. I know you will be going to Colorado to retire right?
tarcolan I hope your mom heals soon and things get back to normal.
Gandolorin glad for your rain.
I had my four oldest grandchildren for 9 days. We had a great visit and I know miss them so much. My house is quiet and I miss their laughter. 2- 15 year olds,one 13 and one 11. They are so much fun. Well,I am off to bed have a great week. Oh Dimple I did send the photo I will try again.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Hey, ES, gorgeous garden. With our drought, ours looks more like a dustbowel. LOL... Oh well.

awelyn, I'm doing my best to convince the spousal unit, but he is like an oak. Once he puts down roots it's nearly impossible to get him to move. Hehehe...
awelyn418
Send Message
Well, I hope you have a good week Belle.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I hope everybody is having a good week. I've finally decided on what type of dog I'm getting. My neighbour at the end of the road has a 10 month old male Malinois named "Harley", having bought him after his previous Malinois died. The breeder is a personal friend of his and, although he was hoping to have puppies in September, it turned out to be a false pregnancy. I've e-mailed him with my particulars, including the size of my yard, previous experience with guard dogs, etc. and have put in for a female. Hopefully, I will get a puppy in the not too distant future. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the breed, they are essentially a police dog, similar to a German Shepard (Alsatian for our European/Brits readers) but somewhat smaller and finer boned.

This is what an adult looks like:

As with most guard dogs, they require a lot of socialization when they're puppies, and a very firm hand. They also require exercise which will fit in nicely with my walking regimen. And, best of all, they're smaller than a bullmastiff. LOL

Hope the rest of the week goes well.

tarcolan
Send Message
E~S, oooh at last a doggie to take you walkies! Brilliant.

Mum was doing quite well walking with the frame but she had a funny turn yesterday and ended up in A&E. Blood pressure was very low, difficulty breathing but after a go on a nebuliser it was all back to normal. They put her in the cardiac unit just to be sure. She's thoroughly fed up with hospitals, all the noise and fuss, being messed about with all the time.

So this morning she decided she'd had enough and just wanted to slip away quietly. She'd asked for the chaplain and the family to be there. He said a few prayers and we sat with her for a while. Apparently Jesus had told her she was a bit previous so a couple of hours later she was sat up eating ice cream and joking with the nurses. She's not wanting to go back to the rehab unit though, not surprising really, so she's going back home to pass away in peace. Or not.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Oh my... yes, hard to say what will happen, tarc. When it's a person's time, it's that time nothing even science knows can stop it. Actually, I'd rather pass at home than in a hospital if I can manage it.
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email