Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I can fully empathise with your mom's position, tarc. If she's lived a full and happy life, the last thing she wants is to "hang on" with the knowledge that things aren't likely to improve much. I had a similar issue arise with my mom years ago and, when she made her choice to let nature take its course following a serious heart attack, I was grateful she had the opportunity to make her own choice in the matter.

Keep her close and enjoy every minute. And, don't forget to say all the things you want, and need, to say to her so there are no regrets later.

I will keep both you and your mother in my thoughts. Image

tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Ta chuck.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
tarcolan my mom after her stroke was so terrified about going to a nursing home. She wanted to die at home. The day before she died she had a episode and was running down the highway and insisting she was being beaten and we knew she had to go for her safety. But it broke my heart because it my area it just seems like they are awful places. My mom was a nurse and had seen so much cruel treatment in those places. But she died the next day and in my heart I was so glad I shed tears but was glad she died were she had been happy at home. I hope things work out for you and your mom.
ES that is a very fine looking dog. I will be looking forward to seeing photos.
My granddaughter got her cast off yesterday. It was so traumatic for her. She hated the sound of the saw and getting an ex-ray but everything is fine and looks good.
Have a great Sunday and a good week.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
NEENIME: hello nice to hear from you.Enjoy your reading on the veranda and have a little ice tea

ES: good looking dog he will take you for a walk for sure!

TARCOLAN:Your mom must know in her heart that her time is close and she wants to go home where her memories and family are.She'll probably be more peaceful that way.My heart goes to you and your mom.

Our new dog Felix is adjusting very well.He is now 9weeks old.He sleeps good not much wining maybe 5min. and that's it, very lucky for us.He walked up the stairs yesterday for the first time.He eats well,no trouble with that,and today I tried the leash and he did good too.We have to check him for the chewing he has a lot to chew but sometimes he takes chances on the chairs when he thinks we are not looking.We take him out every 2hours it is worth it he has releived himself in the house just once so it is not too bad.He sleeps at night in a little cage until we can trust him.So far it has been a good week let's hope it will last

Have a good night.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
@ tarcolan
Brings back memories of my "Mami" last year in June. She passed away on 18 June 2013 just a good month shy of her 85th birthday, after having been in the nursing home protected area since December 2009 for dementia (I was her guardian). Also because now the grave (of both my parents, "Papi" died on 25 January 1990) has settled enough for the granite slabs to be placed on it again, takes at least a year.
I don't know what your mum's situation is. Mine was bedridden, had become extremely frail (she had done lots of sports her entire life, including golf up into her seventies). Then she contracted a pneumonia just a week before her death. She had a last hurrah in recovering up to a point with the help of antibiotics, but I guess that last hurrah had spent her last reserves of life energy.
There was no chance of ever going upwards in any form. And I had followed her decline over three-and-a-half years. It was a deliverance for her. It also made me think: is this me in X years? And it can happen to absolutely brilliant people. I have probably become more sensitive to the topic over the last few years, and so have noticed such declines of brilliant people in the most diverse walks of life. No one, period, can be sure they are not heading there. Some have decided to take matters into their own hands while still able to. That is their right, especially to tell every medical doctor on the planet to take a hike and not bother them anymore.
awelyn418
Send Message
I tried for two days and could not get on here.
Dimple I am glad your dog is doing so well. He sounds like he has adjusted really well to you and your family.
Gandolorin I know how you feel my mom had a stroke and it was three years before she died. I watched her die bit by bit. But the mother I knew died when she had her stroke. It did not effect her body just her mind. I hope that that does not happen to me. I don't want to burden my children and I want a quality of life she did not have that last year. I understand.
Have a great week.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
In a more lighthearted vein: a young bull moose entered my company's office facilities in Dresden, Saxonia yesterday. It was sedated with tranquilizer darts and released at an undisclosed location in eastern Saxonia. The youngster, estimated at 2 years old and weighing about 200 kilograms (440 lbs), broke through a glass door somewhere, and got stuck in a dead-end in the entrance hall (there was an article in the on-line versions of the quality British newspapers The Guardian and / or The Observer, though I didn't manage to find it here at home). Now we can just hope that he doesn't get sentimental when fully grown, and pays the office location a return visit - he could be 800 kilograms (1760 lbs) then. And the job description of our security personnel does NOT include dealing with four-footed visitors. Not 440 lbs "runts", and most certainly not 1760 lbs adults! Image Image
awelyn418
Send Message
Oh my goodness what a surprise for the employees. Let's hope he does not get sentimental as an adult Gandolorin.
Have a good week everyone.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message

I managed to find the link to The Guardian online at work (you can imagine it was also an item in the company-internal news!). This is the address:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/25/young-elk-stuck-office-dresden

And please note: yes, that animal is called a moose in North America.
In Britain it is called an elk (similar to German "Elch" ). 'Nuff said there.
Also, junior was released in an undisclosed location in easter Saxony, so that
a: hunters have no idea where to look for him, and
b: that brings him closer to his surmised home, either the Czech Republic or Poland (though going back to a place where he was getting bossed around by the adult bulls is probably not really attractive...)

[Edited on 08/27/2014 by Gandolorin]
tarcolan
Send Message
Sad news. My mum passed away on Sunday, I think she'd had enough. We were with her at the time so that was good. We'll miss her.
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
I'm very sorry to hear this sad news, tarcolan. May you and others who loved her find comfort.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
So sorry to hear that, tarc. May she rest in peace and be with those who she loves that moved on before her. Hugs to you and those left behind.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
My heartfelt condolences, tarcolan.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I have finally made arrangements to get my two kittens. They are the only males in a litter of nine and are Siamese X. Both are black, pretty much identical although the smaller one has a small patch of white on his belly. My old boy is going to be chuffed as he has always been a part of a group of black cats.

The gardens are starting to slow down and it feels like autumn is just around the corner. I've been pulling some of my annuals as they have started to go to seed. We are supposed to get more of our beautiful weather through mid-October so I'm hoping the geraniums will last until then. My neighbour will be taking cuttings anyway, but I am going to try and winter over a few of them.

I hope everybody is enjoying the Labour Day weekend. Things are quiet here, but the weather holds so outdoor activities are still very much in order.

Have a wonderful weekend, everybody!
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
I'm so very sorry Tarcolan,may she find peace and joy where ever she goes and be with the ones she loved.Big hugs to you and your family.

I had a big blank.For 3days I tried to remember my password to the site and I couldn't .It just came back to me a few minutes ago while I was watching the food channel,what is the connection between remembering and the food channel? Beats me I don't know I'm just glad I remembered.Is this a sign I'm getting old?!!!!!.That's awful!!

Have a nice evening
awelyn418
Send Message
Tarcolan. I am so sorry to hear this sad news. I know you will miss her. I offer my condolences to you. She did get to be home and I know that was important to you.
I have not got to be on here for days. It is my husband you see. One thing will get taken care of and then something else happens. It is his back now. I will be so glad when he is well. I have also been working on four costumes and have had trouble with migraines this past week. I believe it is stress with my daughter going through the divorce and having to watch the granddaughter longer hours.
Our weather is cooler and I do believe there is a touch of Autumn in the air. That makes me happy. I still have a few blooming flowers in the yard but not many. I think my swimming days will be over soon.
I hope all here have a great Sunday. Goodnight.
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
Dimple, I have the same problem with passwords. There are just so cursed many of them one has to have on the internet. I try to write them all down in my little book, (thank God for paper and pencil)but sometimes I FORGET. Just recently, I went to post a story on one of my writing sites and couldn't find the danged password. I asked to be sent a new one, which they did, but I couldn't get it to work. Old age is setting in, I tell ya.
Awelyn, I'm sorry to hear about your family problems. As I've seen in my own life--when it rains, it pours.

[Edited on 09/07/2014 by swabbythewhite]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Well, the kittens arrive on Thursday or Friday so I'm frantically "kitten-proofing" the house. Poor Seamus has no idea what's going to happen. I'm really excited! I have to get a cat tree so they have something to climb so I've taken the middle seat out of the van so I can cart it home. My cats are generally indoor-outdoor cats but they have to stay indoors for the first year as there are too many eagles and hawks around here.

I will definitely post pix. Now, where are the pix of Dimple's Felix? *hint hint*

Have an awesome week, everybody!
awelyn418
Send Message
Oh Swabby so nice to hear from you. Yes, I have the same trouble with passwords but I have 4 and I just try one or the other until I finally get it. There have been pictures of you on the ALEP as we are gearing up for the third one so naturally our Ranger is on there with 3 Elves and a Hobbit. We have all said how we will miss you. It was fun when we were all together for that first one.
ES make sure we see photos of your little fur babies.
Have a great Monday.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Well, the latest members of the Killmouskie family have arrived and, keeping with tradition, they have been given Irish names: Conor (the shy one) and Finbar (the wild one). So far they've transitioned nicely, having played themselves stupid and annoyed Seamus, the old fella. Mind you, he's kind of resigned to my latest escapade as he actually willing came back into the house after having fled in disgust.

I will try and get pix as soon as they settle down. Right now they're sleeping off their play period behind the drier where they big scary guy can't reach them. LOL If they hold true to kitten behaviour, they should make another appearance in time for the "9 o'clock crazies".
tarcolan
Send Message
Oh kittens! I thought... never mind. It sounds like you've got your hands full E~S.

Weather getting cold. Blackberries not quite ready, they've still got dimples, Dimple. Waiting with dread for the result of the Scottish secession vote. A yes result would be terrible for England. I predict a mass exodus north of the border. I'd be off like a shot if it wasn't for the midges. So I think I'll join the Independence for Yorkshire campaign.

Keep well all.
BelleBayard
Send Message
They sound like adorable little things and yes, kittens can drive older cats crazy. Tarc, what I wouldn't give for your weather... It's been in the upper 90's to 100 with humidity in the 60's+. Ugh... Don't feel like doing anything.

I've heard of that move... How long has the UK included Scotland? A really, really long time with LOTS of dissension for a ton longer than our place across the puddle has existed. I have a fair dollop of Scots blood myself and have done some studying on the conflicts in the past.
awelyn418
Send Message
so, tarcolan Scotland wants to seceed from the UK? I have been sick with the flu and have not watched tv or heard the news.
I have been so sick with this flu thing it hit me Saturday.
Your kittens sound darling ES. I love the names all of my children have Irish names.
Belle I hope you get relief from the heat soon.
We are having pleasant fall weather with temps in the 70's and low 80's in the day to 60's and high 50's at night.
Have a great week.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
AWELYN:I hope you're feeling much better and your family too.I have still a few flowers blooming but it's almost the end .The air fells really crisp now and on thursday night we're supposed to have a few flurries...no! no! no! much too soon .Soon I'll be putting all my bedplants to sleep and it will be goodbye until next spring.

ES: Love the names.I'm not very good at putting pix,I've never done it.I find it too complicated for me.

TARCOLAN: Your dimples made me smile.Last time I watch the news the ''no'' was in the lead.I'll be watching the news tomorrow for sure.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Appears the vote didn't pass so Scotland is still part of the UK. Weather is finally cooling down. Only in the 80's today, thank heavens. Everything is SO parched.
awelyn418
Send Message
Dimple I am feeling much better thank you. I know you hate that but you have to put them to sleep for winter. How is your new dog doing?
Belle I will be gone for a week starting tomorrow. I am going early to AL3P a Tolkien gathering matter of fact I will be there with 4 other COE members. I have packing to do so have a great week Happy Bilbo and Frodo's birthday tomorrow. It is also my grandchildren who are twins their birthday also. They will be 16. Boy and a girl twin I love them so much.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Will be off for about 4 days to Colorado, but hopefully will be able to access CoE. Have a great time at AL3P, awelyn!
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
AWELYN: Felix is doing very good.He's asking for the door and he climb up and down the stairs.He has the appetite's ogre.But he's still very much a pup,he likes particularly our fingers even if he has a lot of toys and bones to chew.He's cute but I hope this babyhood be over soon.Have a great time in AL3P,you've been going every year since it started I think.Is Mith going too?If you see her or talk to her tell her I say Hi!

BELLE have a good time too

The leaves are changing colors rapidly and it's cold and rainy today.I'm reading Gulliver's travel. it is fun and pleasing to read.

Have a good afternoon all
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Mae govannen, my friends. Good to see that you are all doing well.

Tarcolan - condolences on the loss of your mum. I saw all the recent discussion about elderly folk not wanting to linger painfully. I can understand that. I used to think that we were required to experience that suffering as part of our human condition and that it was presumptuous of us to choose when to end out lives. I have changed my mind about all that. There is plenty of suffering in everyday life and leaving with dignity is a good way to go. Our hospital has recently enacted a 5-level system of resuscitation. So the patient can choose how much effort and support s/he wishes to receive in the event of a life-threatening incident. I think that’s a sign of progress.

Dimple - congratulations on the newest member of your family. How’s Felix these days ?

Scotswhat did you think of the referendum ? I confess that I was disappointed in the results. I hope that it gave Whitehall a good shakes and that things improve for the Scottish people

Our summer wasn’t much to speak of. Temperatures were relatively cool, for which I was grateful. Unfortunately, that meant the garden don’t do so well. Beans and red onions were the best, but the squash were small. Our red peppers had to be picked when they were still green, but were really tasty. Sadly, a marauding creature of some description helped itself to our beets and carrots. I will have to secure the deer fencing at the bottom next year.

Before I leave, here is a an article about a poem of Tolkien’s, written almost exactly 100 years ago, predating “In a hole in the ground”. The writer thinks that this poem was more the precursor of Middle Earth. http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/24/jrr-tolkien-poem-genesis-middle-earth?CMP=theonering

TTFN

[Edited on 09/28/2014 by tarcolan]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
tarcolan
Send Message
Thanks for your thoughts Neenime. Great link (slightly wrong) to the Tolkien poem. It reminds me of other poems and stories of that time. The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (Wind In The Willows) came to mind for some reason. It also illustrates that Sam was right, it's all about the Silmarils, the same story.

As if I didn't already have a pile of books to read, I have been told to read John Cowper Powys. Life's too short by a long chalk. I made my elderberry jelly today, after potting it up too soon yesterday before it was ready and then tipping it all back in the pan to boil some more this morning. Delicious!

I hope you and PBHF and Belle are having a great time at AL3P Awelyn, whatever it is (??!). Is the little one's arm all mended now?

Say hallo to Felix for me (ear massage).

Enjoy that Indian summer over the pond there, and keep on truckin' y'all.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
NEENIME:Nice to see you Thanks, Felix is doing very well.He was out all day today with me in my bedplants getting them ready for the winter and playing with the leaves.he was fun to watch.

Wonderful day today, plenty of sun and blue sky.I love fall and I always feel more hobbitish during that season and a need to cook and bake...don't ask me why I just don't know,just feel that way
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
awelyn418 and her friends should be back from ALEP3 now. I thought that a picture of the CoE attendees to that incredible event would be appropriate. If I set the access properly the photo can be found here
tarcolan
Send Message
Nope, can't see it PH. I get a 'This Content is Unavailable' message from fb. It would be easier to put them on an image hosting site.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Evil~Shieldmaiden is usually quite active in the Realm of Vairë the Weaver and in the Games Forum, but she has left things uncharacteristically unanswered since maybe a week. Did she mention a time-out (vacation or whatever) that I missed?
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message

I'm still around. Praying to the Gods of Kitty-Litter, and dealing with my two black imps from Hades. They are really fun to watch. The "quiet" one (Conor) has come out of his shell and it incredibly vocal. He loves to comment on everything. He's also a tad hyper. LOL Finn is much more serene (for a kitten). They both extremely affectionate which is typical of black males.

I haven't (wq2````s ... Conor typing) been around much as the gardens have been demanding some attention with (posted by Conor before I finished) the shorter days causing everything to die back. Winter pansies are in now so I will be planting them this weekend.

Have a wonderful Friday and weekend!

[Edited on 10/02/2014 by Evil~Shieldmaiden]
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email