Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First45678Last >>
Author Topic:
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Hello ,I am back and had a wonderful time at AL3P. Our Tolkien gathering and real life hit hard when I got home. My granddaughter became ill and she has Mono . I did not spell it all out it is a virus from Epstein Barr virus. It gives you a fever swollen tonsils, lymph nodes and spleen sometimes and you are exhausted. I was so worried yesterday . we got her fever under control she still has one but not a high one. Then she would not drink or eat. I tell you I was frantic. You can not make a almost 2 year old understand that it is imperative that she drinks to stay hydrated. All she knows is it hurts her throat to drink. So, I have been trying everything,ginger ale ,coconut water,pedalyte,water and any thing I can think of. She has done a little better today but her doctor warned us she is on the point of dehydration as she was throwing up for two days before we found out she has mono. So sorry I have been gone but sure you will understand. Have a great weekend.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
AWELYN I'm so sorry to hear this,poor little one.Of course we understand,family is very important and much more when a love one is sick especially a child.Hopefully she'll get better very soon.What kind of medication a 2year old can take for a mono? My heart is with you and the little one.Keep us posted.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
There isn't much anyone can take for a virus - Tylenol for fever and body aches, fluids, and rest. The issue with the elderly (yeah, I fit in that category now) and the very young is that they have a hard time keeping up with the dehydration - difficult to drink enough to compensate for the fever and what the medical community calls "insensible loss" such as sweating and breathing (you DO lose moisture through your breath). If this doesn't get better, awelyn, don't wait to take her to the hospital for an IV. Dehydration can really come on quick and can be deadly. I'm so sorry she got it. At that age they tend to share things with people and drinking out of a cup or bottle or can immediately after someone who has it can give it to you. Poor little thing... All my prayers to her.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Sorry to hear poor little mite has fever. Ice cream always goes down well awelyn, and we always had lime juice to drink. It stimulates appetite.
awelyn418
Send Message
Well, good news the big lab results came back and Lily does not have Mono. She just had a virus. She is not throwing up and is eating and drinking. She is still a little tired but she is feeling so much better. She got her first haircut today and she did not like it. But it is a cute hairstyle and easy to take care of also. Fall is upon us here in southeast Missouri. The leaves are changing colors,cooler temperatures and I will have to bring out the warmer clothes and find the soup recipes and chili will be bubbling in the pot. I also love to bake at this time of year. My youngest turned 32 this month and my youngest granddaughter Lily will turn 2 October 18th. My dad will turn 82 on October 23rd. My sister-in law will turn 72 on the 31st. So we celebrate many birthdays this month. I hope you all are having a great week. Think of Belle to she sliced her finger with a knife while slicing vegetables.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
AWELYN: That is really good news,I'm glad for the little one.The worry can be put at rest.Here too it's colder,we will have a little frost tonight,I will have to wear my flannel pj soon and bring out my cosy sweathers.I love to cook during the fall too,soup and chicken pies,salmon pies deserts with apples mmmmmand all sorts of comfort food.October is a busy month for you with all the birthdays but it must be fun and very lively.Happy birthday to all the people of your family.Poor Belle,I'll think of her especially when slicing vegetables.Hope the cut is not too deep.

Have a nice evening all
BelleBayard
Send Message
Thanks, folks. Difficult to type with a bum thumb. If anyone knows what a mandolin is (and not the musical instrument)... It was a brand new one and I was trying to slice summer squash and didn't realize how close to the blade I was till I felt it cut into my thumb. Sliced a nice chunk off the outer side of my thumb, all the way through. No way to have it stitched as was completely gone and bleeding like mad. Lots of direct pressure and bleeding. Yeouch! Not doing THAT again any time soon.

Weather is FINALLY cooling down some here, but still dry as tinder. Daughter and her family playing in Suessical (a musical based around the Seuss books) as the mayor of Whoville and his wife (and granddaughter is a Who).

awelyn, glad to hear Lily is feeling better. Worst thing about viruses is all you can do is give supportive care as NO cure for them. Wishing you all a good weekend.
awelyn418
Send Message
Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends on her and happy Columbus Day to USA friends. We had storms today and rain and rain and more rain. Some flooding in parts of town. It has calmed down a little and a cold front has moved in now. So it will be great sleeping weather or as my dad says snuggle weather.
I bought Lily a toy broom and dust pan for her birthday . She loves to sweep. I also bought her a Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head toy. A cute little outfit and a friend of mine knitted her a hat that looks like a minion from the movie. She is talking using new words everyday.
I need to go take a shower so goodnight all.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
BELLE: mandolin will do that to you especially when cutting wet vegetables,your hand can slip and ouch! first thing you know you have a nice cut and bleeding like crazy.Sorry you'll have a piece of your thumb missing
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I have two mandolins and have managed to slice myself on both of them, despite using the gadget that holds the vegetable in place. I find it always slips at some point. I still love my mandolins though as they make life easier in the kitchen when it comes to slicing and shredding.

Autumn has really come in here. Right now we're experiencing cool damp weather. I'm waiting for my bulbs to arrive so I can get them in the ground one day when the sun comes out. I have been gradually pulling the annuals out, and my neighbours have kindly agreed to winter over my two fushias. Otherwise, the perennials are still doing well.

I finally managed to download some pictures of the new kittens. In the picture they're about 12 weeks old: Conor is on the right and Finbar is on the left. (I must apologize for the quality of the picture as I haven't quite figured out the settings on my new digital.)

Have a great day!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Their hearing should be very acute with those huge ears. Image
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
You bet! They can hear a package being opened in the kitchen when they're playing in the bedroom which is on the other side of the house. LOL
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
ES:they're so cute,very black with big ears,intelligent and questioning look,they look very distinguished What kind of breed are they?
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
They are Siamese X. Conor the one on the left really reflects that heritage: he's sassy, vocal and very intelligent. Finn the one on the right is far more quiet and a real "momma's" boy.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
The big ears are part of their Siamese ancestry?
BelleBayard
Send Message
Yep. Part Siamese cats usually have much larger ears.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
I think Squeeker is a relative of Conor and Fin!

[Edited on 10/29/2014 by NenyaGold]
awelyn418
Send Message
ES your cats are adorable. I have had two Siamese and yes they are talkers for sure.
Granddaughter had a great birthday.Two days after her birthday she got in my blood pressure medicine. My husband was gone hunting because we usually take care of her together at meal times. I just took my eyes off of her for a second and she climbed on the table and got them. She was just gone from my side for a second. When I found her she was sitting in my computer chair chewing. I said Lily you can not sit it that chair and then I was filled with horror and fear. She had my bottle and there were pills all around her in my chair. I scooped her up and took all the pills in the chair and put them back in the bottle. I then grabbed my cell phone and called my daughter. I was hyper ventillating but my daughter understood me and kept saying Mom calm down I will be right there. I had Lily on my lap and I was sobbing and berating myself. I am the person always responsible and always advocating safety. How could this happen. My daughter called back and said mom meet me at the ER if you are calm enough to drive and I was by then. Good news they don't think she took any but she stayed for observation for 5 hours. Blood pressure and heart rate were fine and also her oxygen levels were fine. She was so upset with all the monitor wires and she had to drink charcoal. To say I felt awful was an understatement. I came home and did a sweep of my house. All medicines are up on the top shelves now she would have to be 7 feet tall to get them. Not only medicines but I did a safety check to but this happened on Monday. I was so upset about what could have happened. The doctor said to me it happens don't beat yourself up. It took a Canadian friend talking to me 45 minutes to get me where I could sleep that night.
Have a good weekend everyone. Hello Nenya and Dimple and Gandolorin.

[Edited on 10/24/2014 by awelyn418]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Could have happened. Did not. You have taken more precautions now. It's not spilled milk, it's milk that did not get spilled. I could have been killed by a discus in track & field training about 41 years ago. I had my back to it. It was so close to my head, it brushed the (then longer than now) hair above my right ear from back to front. Quarter of an inch maximum distance. Oh yes, I remember it, and probably always will. But: Could have happened. Did not. Past tense. Absolutely no need to get into a "but would have ..." frenzy. Over.
awelyn418
Send Message
Thank you Gandolorin and you are absolutely correct it is in the past.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Good day! How is everyone who frequents the twenty-sixth edition of FoF?
I used to check in about every sixth page, but now, maybe it's every other edition?
Black kitties! I have one named Scooter sleeping on the desk next to me. At least he isn't trying to walk on the keyboard or stand in front of the computer screen. He looked very much like the one on the left of your first pic when we got him. Now, he just turned 7.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Have never shared my life with a black cat for some reason, only my mother's half Siamese my stepfather insisted on calling "Snowflake." LOL... Doing fine as can be, Arveleg.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Came back last night from a family gathering near Montreal.It was fun seeing all of them.My mother who is 102 was in a happy mood.A lot of conversation and exchange of ideas,good food,good wine,people I love around me I cannot ask for more

Have a good evening all
swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
Hello, all. Down here in the Ozark hills, the leaves are turning red and gold and the air has that distinctive autumn smell.
I'm glad you saw your mother and found her well, Dimple.
I might say more, but don't own a cat. Got two dogs.

[Edited on 10/28/2014 by swabbythewhite]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
@ awelyn: I'm so glad everything turned out well. Image

@ Dimple: It's wonderful to hear that your mom is still enjoying life at 102; and I'm glad everybody had a great time at the family reunion.

@ Belle: I love the story about your stepfather's name for the Siamese. Many years ago, a friend of mine had a cat he named: Dog.

@ swabby: The weather has been cool, wet and blustery here for the past two weeks. Most of the leaves have blown off the trees and it feels like winter is on the way. We have the odd nice day and everybody dashes out to get the last of their autumn gardening chores done. I still have to plant some bulbs, but everything else is pretty much finished.

It's not even November 1st yet, but I was looking through the Christmas lights in the stores yesterday. I'm replacing a few of my outdoor lights with LEDs this year and am toying with colors and styles. They're quite expensive but, if you wait until the end of the season, you can't always get what you want because they've sold out. So I'll replace them gradually. Interestingly, I saw LED replacement bulbs, but no strings that had replaceable bulbs. Are they for the "old type" strings of lights?? I must remember to ask the clerk the next time I go into the store.

I hope everybody has a wonderful week!
awelyn418
Send Message
Swabby Autumn is here in southeast Missouri. The trees are putting on their beautiful colors and the temps are cooler. This is my favorite season.
Arveleg so good to hear from you. How are you? I am busy and quite happy. How is Australia?
Dimple your mom is amazing and so glad you had a wonderful time and made memories.
Belle loved that story. I love Siamese cats too.
ES have a great week too.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Autumn is here too for sure ,we had strong wind for a couple of days and all the beautiful colored leaves are gone and there is a smell of snow and winter in the air.Tonight the temperature will go below the freezing point-5C.Most of the work in the garden is done but if I don't have time to finish it I will have to wait until springtime.We had bad weather and on top of that I have a lousy cold so it was hard to finish it.
All the Christmas decorations are out and I saw some pretty nice ones that gave me ideas and I started to look at new recipes for the HolidaysThis morning I baked 2 loaves of pumkin bread with nuts.I frooze one for my daughter.

Swabby it's nice to see you my friend

Awelyn,fall is my favorite season too,I like cocooning with a nice cup of hot chocolate and a good book and I like the smell of the leaves in the woods.It is a season to eat good hearthy and comfort food.

Anyone knows how Scots is doing? It's been a while since she came on the site.

ES, good luck with your Christmas lights.

Have a good week all
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Well, the kittens are keeping me busy. The other day they were being particularly quiet, although I knew they were playing, and I decided to check on them to see what mischief they were getting into: I suspected it wasn't good when the both scooted away as I approached them.

Lo and behold, they had managed to get into the bag of kitty litter, which I had forgotten to clip shut, and spread it all over the utility room floor. I spent a good half hour, or more, sweeping it up and replacing putting it back into the bag. To finish the day off, they got stuck behind the dresser and I had to pull it out to rescue them. Image

Mind you, they think Seamus, my 17-yr old cat, is some sort of God and they spend time washing him and following him around. I keep hoping they'll learn better manners from him, but it's been a forlorn hope so far.

The weather here has been pretty typical for this time of year: rainy with intermittent sun. Today is beautiful so I will head outdoors to finish off my fall clean-up. It's supposed to be nice all weekend so I should be able to get my bulbs in as well.

Have an awesome weekend everybody!

swabbythewhite
Council Member
Send Message
Hello, everyone. I'm still doing a bit of writing, but it's all been very short. Here's one I wrote this morning that some of you might enjoy.

The morning sun, a shining pearl, shone brightly through the haze and cast its hue upon the world below. Clara Barnes, from her small house on Sunflower Lane, saw it through the kitchen window.

Good morning, autumn sun. You're not like the one of just a few days ago. Eighty years on this earth, and I never cease to marvel at your many faces.

Morning time required Clara to do morning things, and she shuffled about her old wooden house in well-worn slippers and housecoat. While coffee percolated, she replenished the water and food bowls on the back porch.

Prissy Girl will probably be around soon for her breakfast. I hope those mean boys didn't catch her and put dirty motor oil on her again.

From a small wicker basket, Clara took one of the two sweet potatoes she'd baked the night before and peeled it.

There's nothing in this world better than a sweet potato.

Coffee poured and orange goodness mashed, she took her chair on the back porch. As she looked out at the morning, she said a prayer.

Thank you for this beautiful day, Lord. Thank you, too, for good health and long years.

Clara swallowed a bite of sweet potato, then followed with a sip of coffee.

I'm so very blessed. Still, if I may...I don't want to sound ungrateful, but could you tell my children to come see me? If not all, then just one?

Clara ate, drank, and continued her plea to invisible ears.

I'm a lonesome old woman, Lord. Can't you just send someone to see me?

Meowww.

"Prissy! Wh--who's this friend you have with you? Oh, my, she looks hungry!"

[Edited on 11/09/2014 by swabbythewhite]

[Edited on 11/10/2014 by swabbythewhite]
tarcolan
Send Message
That's lovely swabby. Keep on writing.

Autumn here has been pretty dull. Some years the leaves just don't get the colours, only dun browns. I can never figure why some years are so colourful. It's cold now and rainy but I still walk whatever the weather, it really does give me a boost. Maybe it's the extra oxygen. The grebes have gone from the lake now, somewhere warmer maybe. There's just ducks and small gulls, I don't know the name.

I've made the Xmas cake and have resisted tucking in. It needs painting with brandy every week. I bought an old mincer and I'm going to make mincemeat (the fruity sort that goes in mince pies), so that should be good exercise.

Keep well all.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
SWABBY:Oh how I missed your writings!That's lovely and sad at the same time,just as life

TARCOLAN:Xmas cake you have to make in advance and have the will to wait until all the flavours explode in your taste buds...in about 2months time.Something worths waiting for.Mmmmmmm!!

We have now a good inch of snow .It started last night.Félix, our bulldog wasn't to impress,last night when he went out to do his things but this afternoon he seemed to have a good time when I was throwing him snowballs.He is 5months today and weighs 38pounds.I don't have a dog,I have an ogre!!

Hope you had a good week-end all
awelyn418
Send Message
Dimple snow my goodness. I would love a slice of pumpkin bread it sounds delicious.I love to make soups especially at this time.
Swabby I loved the story but I always love your stories. I am glad you wrote it.
ES oh what little stinkers.But I love kittens. They sound darling. I hope you got the yard work done that you wanted to finish.
Tarcolan Christmas cake now that sounds interesting. I have never heard of it before so you don't eat it for two months? Tell me about this cake.
Dimple Scots taught in China this summer and she is doing that writing thing that she does every year NANO I can't remember what the letters mean but you write so many words in a month.
Have a great week.
tarcolan
Send Message
Rich fruit cakes (celebration cakes) are easy to make. You don't need to be precise. If you don't have scales you'll just have to guess about quantities. Here's our favourite-

Christmas cake

1lb of plain flour (450g)
8 oz butter (225g)
12 oz dark brown sugar (340g)
1lb 8 oz of raisins, sultanas, currants, mixed (candied) peel (~700g)
4 eggs
4 oz glace cherries (110g)
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate, not baking powder)
about 1/2 pint stout or any dark beer. (~300ml)

Rub butter in to flour or use processor
Mix in sugar, spices and fruit
Beat eggs, add halved cherries and baking soda then some of the beer
Pour it all in and stir

It should be a thick mixture which will pour so add more beer if necessary.
Put into 8" cake tin lined with silicone or greaseproof.
Bake for an hour at 325 F (170 c or gas mark 3)
Cover the top and turn down to 300 F (150 C or gas mark 2)
It will take at least three hours to cook. Test by sticking a skewer in the middle. It should come out clean, absolutely clean.
Remove from tin and paper, and cool on a wire rack
Wrap in greaseproof and store in a tin. Every week take it out and brush it with brandy or single malt Scottish whiskey. If you like you can poke holes in the top so the liquid soaks in better.

Serve with Lancashire or Wensleydale cheese (hard crumbly white cheeses)

Make two just in case.

Next week we'll be doing the mincemeat recipe.

[Edited on 11/13/2014 by tarcolan]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
OMG ..... I'm sitting here drooling as I read your recipe, tarc! It reminds me very much of the Christmas cakes my mother used to make. She made them in September and kept "basting" them with brandy until Christmas. She also made anise seed cookies (a rather simple sugar cookie) in September that we didn't eat until Christmas and the aroma when we opened the tins was heavenly. Thank you for stirring some wonderful memories. Image

We have had heavy frosts for the past few days which has made quick work of the last of the flowers. Mind you, it has been beautifully sunny.

When I did some renovations to my house a few years back, I discovered that the idiot fellow who built the house, framed around the hot water tank and didn't leave enough space to remove it. A "door" had to be cut in the bedroom to get it out. I place a bookcase in front of it to hide the opening. This is leading somewhere ........

One of my new darlings, Conor by name, managed to get himself trapped in the space between the heater and the wall. And, you guessed it, I had to move the bookcase and remove the panel to get him out. One would think: once bitten, twice shy. Nope. This morning he got himself trapped again. His brother sat on the water tank watching the extraction with great interest.

I have had numerous cats and kittens over the years, but this is the first time any of them was daft enough to jump down into the space.

Well, I'm off to feast on shepherd's pie at my neighbours so I will end this by wishing everybody a wonderful weekend!

Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
TARCOLAN:Oh! that recipe makes my mouth watering!! And I might try it !And if you don't mind writing your mincemeat recipe.It will be wonderful.I'm always in search of new ones

ESo you still have this anise seed cookies recipe?I would like to try it.About 3years ago I got carried away with Christmas cookies and I baked about 300 hundred.We ate some,I froze some and the rest I gave to my neighbourgs(hope I write it correctly,I have always trouble with this word)and family.I made too much,in march we were still eating them lol!!.Love that sentence by Jean Cocteau

We had our first snowstorm yesterday and this morning it's still going on.So far we had about 15cm(about 7inches)but it will be more than that at the end of the day for sure.We have wind and drifting snow right now.Felix did his things and came right back inside.Poor thing while doing his necessities his eyes were close tight because of the drifting snow .It was so comical .I hope he'll get used to it ,this is only the beginning!
<< First45678Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email