Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First56789Last >>
Author Topic:
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Mincemeat (from Crank's cookbook)

This makes 7lbs so you will need a very big bowl. I used a 15 inch one. Or halve the quantities.

1lb 8 ozs (675g) stoned raisins
1lb (450g) mixed peel (chopped candied peel)
8 ozs (225g)of each- currants and sultanas
2lb (900g) cooking apples (Bramleys). Core and peel them.

Double mince all together.
Mix well with other ingredients
1lb (450g) suet (vegetarian if you want)
1oz mixed spice
1/2 grated nutmeg
8 ozs of each- currants and sultanas
1lb 8 ozs (675g) soft brown sugar (I usually use dark brown)
zest and juice of a lemon and orange
1/2 pint (285ml) brandy (or whiskey)

Leave covered in a cool place for 7 days. Stir CLOCKWISE ONLY (deasil) each day. Any visitor gets a stir and a wish.

Pack into jars 1 INCH FROM TOP.

Cover loosely. Use after a few weeks if kept in the warm as will ferment.
Dries out in fridge over the year so I put a slurp more brandy in it as I use it. This is a bit of a bother as it means going to the shops and buying another bottle of brandy.

[Edited on 11/20/2014 by tarcolan]

[Edited on 11/23/2014 by tarcolan]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I'm sure you have to be dragged into the shop, kicking and screaming, before you will part with your pence on brandy.

The following recipes are two of my favourites and are made only at Christmas time.

GERMAN ANISE COOKIES
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. anise seed

1. Cream sugar and eggs for 12 minutes on #8 mixer speed.
2. Add flour and seeds; mix well.
3. Drop by teaspoon on greased cookie sheet and let sit overnight.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
5. Cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet.

This is really a simple sugar cookie but it tastes fantastic if the cookies are sealed in an air-tight container and the anise flavouring is allow to "perk" so to speak.

PFEFFERNÜSSE (GERMAN CHRISTMAS COOKIES)

1 c. shortening (Crisco)
2 c. white sugar
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 c. molasses
1/2 tsp. salt
5 c. flour
8 drops anise oil (optional)
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon

1.Cream shortening and sugar; add molasses, buttermilk and spices; mix.
2. Add flour and baking soda. Mix.
3. Dough will be thick, use spoon for flour, etc.
4. Chill the dough well.
5. Form into rolls about 1 inch in diameter; slice 1/2 inch pieces.
6. Bake at 375 degrees about 10 minutes on greased cookie sheets.

Cookies are hard, but melt in your mouth.

From Wikipedia:

While the exact origin of the biscuit is uncertain, the traditional Dutch belief links the pepernoten to the feast of Sinterklaas, celebrated on December 5 in The Netherlands and December 6 in Germany and Belgium. This is when children receive gifts from St. Nicholas, who is partially the inspiration for the Santa Claus tradition. In Germany, the pfeffernüsse is more closely associated with Christmas. The biscuit has been part of European yuletide celebrations since the 1850s.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Dimple we have had 3 inches of snow on Sunday but by Wednesday it had melted away. Christmas baking I have not even started to think about just thinking about Thanksgiving at the moment
ES what a silly nilly kitty. What a hassle for you. We had very cold temperatures last week and the beginning of this week but by Wednesday it was mild . But I know it is coming.
Belle is on her way to Colorado for a visit . I know she will have a good time she is going to see her daughter,son-in-law and granddaughter.
Have a great weekend.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
TARCOLAN:thanks for the recipe I don't know if I'll have time to bake it but I'll try for sure.Really you have it really hard having to go out for another bottle of brandy.Life is sometimes soooooooo demanding!!

ES:thanks,2 others cookies recipies in my ''repertoire''The little note on wikepédia is interesting too.

AWELYN:After about 10 to 12 inches of snow tomorrow we're having rain and it's suppose to be a big amount and the température will rise to 60F.Crazy completely!!!!

Have a nice week all
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Sorry to be MIA. Was so busy last week and got back really late Saturday (around midnight). It was snowy in Colorado last week and the week before the temps dipped into the teens for a few days. Wasn't so bad last week - 30's mostly. Dry and cool at night in San Diego, warmer during the day. Even so, I want to go back to Colorado. I miss my daughter and her family.

[Edited on 11/25/2014 by BelleBayard]
awelyn418
Send Message
What a busy week and thanksgiving. Now we have had balmy temps for 3 days and now tonight we are suppose to have freezing rain with cooler temps but with the warm temperatures we have been having it is not suppose to stick on the roads. So, that is good. I am not going to have my granddaughter for three days so I am going to clean and decorate for Christmas. Have a good week.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
I have been busy baking cranberry loafs and apple cakes with sugar and cinnamon on top.We eat it warm with lemon sauce.Deliciousssss!

It is really cold now -17C(about 0F)brrr, colder for tomorrow.I will have to wear my long john!!

I didn't start the Christmas decorations yet but very soon I'll be in the mood.

Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving with your family

Have a nice evening,keep warm
BelleBayard
Send Message
Raining right now (we need it!) and a bit chilly, but nothing like some folks are getting. Bought the house in Colorado, but won't be moving in for awhile. Daughter and her family will be moving in to watch over it until we do retire (probably 3 years). Hope everyone's holiday was good and the coming ones warm and lively.
awelyn418
Send Message
Dimple your cranberry loaf sounds so yummy and your apple cake my mouth was watering. Brrr that is cold. I did have a great time with family.
I am so excited for you Belle. I hope things work out so you can move even sooner than 3 years. Well, almost bedtime. I hope you are having a great week everyone.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
I hope everybody is doing well. I've been busy for some reason. I can't believe I got everything done when I was working; or maybe I'm just slowing down. LOL.

We've had a week of bright sunny weather with very cold (for us) temperatures but it's warmed up again and now we have rain. We had a skiff of snow but it was gone in two, or three, days. I don't mind the cold actually. Mind you, the fact that it's dark by 4:30 doesn't thrill me, but it's less than three weeks until the days start getting longer again. LOL .... I'm desperate.

I have bought my new LED lights and my neighbour and I will be putting them up on Sunday. I seem to be lagging behind as the neighbours are already decorated. Mind you, I'm putting up more decorations than usual .... tempting Fate. The last time I decorated this much we got our decade blizzard with six feet of snow.

Have a wonderful weekend everybody!
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Everything is quiet here except that after the cold and the snow we had last week mother nature will send us a lot of rain tomorrow and wednesday,the temperature here is like a yoyo!

I don't know about all of you but here people don't seem to be in a Christmas mood,mind you our government has increased our taxes.We're going to pay more for gas,driver's licence,municipal and school taxes.The food is expensive especially the meat,and the fruits and vegetables are not cheap anymore.I used to buy grapes,apples,pears ect for .99cents a pound now it's 1.50 when it's not 2$ a pound.We're only 2 people and sometimes it cost us 200$ a week for grocery I cannot imagine a family of 4 with 2 adults and 2 children.Times are rough

I got my Christmas wreath out today...it's a beginning.

I'm glad for you Belle but I hope you would be able to move sooner.Is Colorado less dry than where you live?

ES: I'm trying your cookies this week

Have a nice week all
BelleBayard
Send Message
Yes, Dimple, as far as drought goes, more rain and SNOW, which we don't really get down here in Southern California. It rarely snows in our mountains, only the Sierra Nevada does it get anything significant. I wish I could retire in January and move there, but the spousal unit fears we won't make enough to live on. Well, the fact is I don't want to work till I can't any more. I want to be able to enjoy life and as it is... I'm getting cranky in my old age when people act stupid and have unrealistic expectations. *sigh*
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Belle when my husband retired 2years ago the thought of not having enough money worried me quite a lot but as the time goes you find a way to deal with the money you have and to see what is important to do or not and it'a amazing the money you can save just by setting up your priorities,the things you need and the other ones that you can do without and the ones that can wait.I know what you mean it's not because we're retired that we are willing to sit in a chair and see the time goes by or listen the t.v. all day long.We want to do it in full shape and aware of everything that goes around us,and do projects that we were not able to accomplish when working.When you're getting cranky at work it's time to leave.Have a nice evening dear
BelleBayard
Send Message
Thanks, Dimple. I think so too. Now, to just convince my hubby that we should do it a bit sooner. He has to pursue it, but work is getting onerous for him as well. When it's no longer enjoyable, just frustrations piled on frustrations... Yeah, time to go and let someone else take over. No one is irreplaceable.
tarcolan
Send Message
All the best in your new home Belle. One of the biggest costs here is heating, many pensioners have difficulties. Apart from that it's not that hard to live on a smaller budget. You'll have the time to seek out bargains, and to do all those things you never had time for, as Dimple says.

Bitterly cold wind here the last few days, and the tops have a dusting of snow. I wrapped up warm and went for a walk. Very bracing!

The funeral director who did mum's funeral sent a letter inviting us to write our thoughts on Xmas tree stars and come and hang them on a tree. It is a willow sapling which will be planted out in the spring nearby and we get invited to the planting. Very thoughtful of them, lovely people.

Keep well all
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
TARCOLAN:It is a lovely thought and we don't see it often from funeral director.It is very graceful of him.

I baked 10 meat pies and I wanted to bake some cookies but I was out of flour

Have a nice week all
awelyn418
Send Message
Tarcolan what a sweet thing to do and so nice of the funeral director.
Belle I hope you do get to retire sooner so you will be able to enjoy it.
Dimple you have been busy with your cooking.I have noticed not as many people decorating their houses this year. So maybe they are not in the Christmas mood either.
ES I have been busy too. I hope you get your lights up.
I found a small artificial tree in my decorations so I made it a Hobbit tree with a Gandalf and Middle earth jewelry and pins and it looks cute.
Have a great week.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Got my lights up and the yard is looking pretty awesome, if I say so myself. Mind you, I still have loads of lights in the box so I keep adding the odd thing as well. Our whole street looks really good this year and we've had people drive by looking at the decorations.

I am just getting over an odd case of the flu. Total exhaustion for about three days with a mild headache and some muscle aches, but nothing else. It's put me behind on a couple of Christmas projects so I'm scrambling to get them done.

Three more days until Winter is officially here, and the days start getting longer again .... Image The weather has been very wet and the ground is quite soggy right now. There have been a number of landslides as well. Our Volunteer Fire Department had to extricate a man who was trapped in his house as a result of a slide that destroyed the new house they had only been in for three months. Fortunately, he was fine. His wife had escaped during the slide. This picture was taken by one of the firefighters.

Unfortunately, there is no insurance coverage as this devastation is considered and "Act of God". But a fund has been set up to collect monies for basics and furniture so they can at least move into a place before Christmas.

I hope everybody's week goes well.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
A very quick post to .....

tarcolan
Send Message
♫ Come round any old time ♪♪
♪ Make yourselves at home ♪
♫ Put your feet on the mantelshelf ♪
♪ Open the cupboard and help yourself ♪♪
♫ I don't care if your friends ♪
♪ Have left you all alone ♪♪
♫ Rich or poor, knock at my door ♪
♪ And make yourself at home ♫

A very Merry Christmas everyone and all the best for the New Year.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
A very Merry Christmas to everyone and wishing you great things for 2015. If I lived any closer, Tarcolan I would come and knock on your door. Thanks for the invitation. Lots of love to you all
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Merry Christmas to all, and all the best for 2015. I've been with CoE a bit over a year now, and I feel I've found a golden needle in an immense haystack.
Image Image Image
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
Merry Christmas everyone! I wish you only the very best for the coming year.

Let's imagine being at Tarcolan's table and share all the good things he had prepared for us,but we'll do our share too by bringing some wine and cheese and pastry.And at midnight,a fluffy snow ,light as a feather will come down and around the table we will smile at each other because we'll be glad to be together and share our friendship.We will make a toast to all the good things there are in life,forgetting for a little moment the bad ones,and we will wish for everyone the little spark that makes a day worthwhile and many more that make a life a good one.

Happy Holydays!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Christmas greeting to you all! I am enjoying your posts about baking and decorating your homes for Christmas.

Tarcolan The suggestion of the funeral director for Christmas thoughts on the tree was a lovely idea. The local palliative care group hosts a service in early December in which bereaved families and friends have an opportunity to honour their grief and support each other. It's a wonderful idea, as they often feel a bit out of place with the other merry-makers.

Dimple Your image of the party is lovely. We can enjoy it in our imaginations.

We are cooking up a storm in our kitchen today, in preparation for Christmas dinner. Our family gathered last night for the 12 meatless dishes served in the Ukrainian tradition. We usually wear embroidered shirts and enjoyed singing in the choir at my mother's church for the evening service.

This year we had a special guest, a student from south India, who is attending our university. He is pursuing a Master's degree in Computer Science. The International department arranged to link up local families with students who can't manage to get back home for the holiday break. So he spent the evening with us and even came to church, though he himself in Hindu. We've altered most of our dishes to be vegetarian for him and made two with eastern spices.

I hope to visit more often, as I will be taking an early retirement from the university as of Dec 31st.

Wishing you all the blessings of health, happiness and good fortune.Image
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
NEENIME: OH! it will be great to have you back more often!Do you have any plans or projects for your retirement or nothing specific,and just enjoying yourself?

We had a rainy Christmas Eve and Christmas day with big strong wind.Luckily we didn't miss power,it's a good thing too,the turkey was in the oven!

Hope you all have a nice Christmas day
awelyn418
Send Message
I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and I wish nothing but good things for you in the coming new year. We had a sunny Christmas in the morning but it became cloudy and it has been cloudy and rainy every day since.
My daughter and her husband are back together and he lost his job. So he is watching my granddaughter instead of me and it was really difficult for me. I had her every weekday since she was 8 weeks old. It was a such a painful thing to not see her everyday. We are hoping when he gets a job I will get to watch her again. I was not happy with my daughter's decision but she is 31 and such is life. I am adjusting though.
I had a nice Christmas.
Well,off to bed and I will try to be back on here more.
tarcolan
Send Message
HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL
awelyn418
Send Message
Happy New Year FOF and COE!.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
A very HAPPY NEW YEAR to all,and I wish that your present day be always your favorite day.Health and nothing but good things
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message

... to everybody in the over 40 club. I hope you have a happy, healthy and prosperous 2015.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
A Happy New Year everyone !
BelleBayard
Send Message
Hope everyone had a good Christmas or whatever you celebrate and Happy New Year!
awelyn418
Send Message
I did Belle and I have started the year off with a diet plan so I will see how I fare with it. We are having very frigid temperatures this week. They say it is a Arctic front moving through. We have our outside cat who won't come in all fixed though. She has a dog igloo and my husband made a wood house around that and stapled a tarp all around it . No wind can get it and she has 2 heat lamps. My husband actually bent down and put his head in it and said it was warm and cozy.
Have a good week.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Same to you, Awelyn. Pretty cold here last week for us - down to 28 several nights so our tomatoes are rather sad. We did cover them but their outer leaves got frost burned. Garage kitty didn't make it - she was just too malnourished no matter what we did. Still, she got a warm place to sleep, food, water, and affection before moved on to the Summerlands. Our bunnies are doing well, just getting very thick coats. We have them in a shelter so the winds don't get to them, but it's still pretty chilly. Take care all.
callë
Council Member
Send Message
suilad mellon. It has been a long time I know. I do keep up with some of you on FB, but all in all this is much like taking the path home. Having seen BOTFA twice now, it makes me sad. I don't want our middle earth to ever end...so I'm back . Many dark days has this world seen since I have been on here. alas though at least we have the wisdom through Tolkien to know that darkness can turn to light. good to 'see' you all again. I need time for a good read through but sadly I don't seem to have much extra time these days. hopefully though I can eventually catch up on who's who and how everyone is doing.
<< First56789Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email