Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First7891011Last >>
Author Topic:
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
No snow here, but there is where my daughter's family lives (the house we will retire to in a couple of years). However, Friday we had a "buttermilk" sky, which heralds a front. This weekend has been grey, overcast, and windy. I wish it would just rain! Afraid to start mowing the lawn for fear we'll get half-way done and have to stop. Argh! Wishing all my FoFers in snowy weather well and hope you are safe and warm.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
AWELYN:How was your evening saturday? Was your daughter very nervous?
BelleBayard
Send Message
Daughter and family playing various parts in Les Miserable. Wish I could see her. Got chosen for jury duty in a criminal case. Will be there all week. No time with son before he has to leave on Saturday. Ah well, such is life. Doing my civic duty.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
BELLE:Good for your daughter and family,it must be a thrill to play in Les Misérables or any other good play.It's nice to see that theater is alive.To be chosen for jury is such a big responsability,I don't know if I would like to be chosen but I think I'll have no choice in the matter if ever it happens to me.Must be very interesting though.
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Dimple my daughter did great and wasn't one bit nervous. It was a wonderful play so professional and such talent it was awesome. I got home last Sunday and was so tired. I stayed up until 2 talking to my grandkids that are teenagers. So I went to bed for a nap when we got in and my husband let our little pam out but did not hear him bark. So I put on my flip flops instead of my regular shoes and hurried to let him in it was very cold. I closed the door and was in my underwear as I had not got to change before my nap to comfy things. My husband had on boots tramped snow in that I did not see and I fell. I tried to grab things to stop my fall but to no avail. I fell and bent my right leg under me. Every time I tried to get up I slipped again. I was crying and moaning when my husband found me. I just knew I broke my leg. He said what else hurts I said my arms and I looked and my right arm had a 3-4 inch gash. I had blood all over my stomach. My husband helped me up and I limped in the bath room,cleaned my cut and put a bandage on it. I went to my doctor 2 days later very sore. I got a tetanus shot. I am still very sore and my right knee hurts. But I will be fine but it was scary. Yesterday my daughter and 14 year old granddaughter was in a car accident because the other person involved did not know how to drive in the snow to avoid her my daughter went in a ditch and hit a tree. They were shook up but had their seat belts on so they were just bruised. Her car was also fixed . My daughter has a very sturdy car thank God. So I had a very eventful week. Our snow is finally melting and March is here . For my area it came in like a Lion. Have a great week.
awelyn418
Send Message
Belle wish you could see your family in Les Miserable. I hope they send pictures to you. Have a good week and I hope your jury duty is over by now. Have a good week and I hope you get rain.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
@ Awelyn: Image What an awful week you had! I'm glad you're daughter and granddaughter weren't hurt. And, thank goodness everything is okay with you. Falling like that can cause more than physical injuries, it's pretty damn scary emotionally.

The temperature here is still way above normal. We almost hit a new record at 14 C the other day. Right now we're having mild frosts in the early mornings and 9-10 C weather by midday. Those of you who have been hit with the unbelievable snows of this winter have my utmost sympathy. I think of you every time I look at my blooming daffodils (just kidding, kind of). Hopefully, March will go out like a lamb for you.

Have a great week!
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Awelyn - oh my dear ! What bad luck. I wish you quick healing. I'm also glad that your daughter and grand-daughter are OK. There are lots of accidents because people don't adjust their driving to snowy conditions. Thank goodness it wasn't worse than that. I hope that your pride in your family of thespians brings you some comfort while you heal.

I had a small medical issue also, the day after my birthday. Had been trying to get medicated liquid into our dog's ears, to flush out he wax that accumulates there. He just hates that, so we had to use a muzzle and one of my sons had him in a bear hug. With all the furious struggling, the muzzle came lose and Trooper bit me. I instinctively yanked my thumb out of his mouth and sustained a long, nasty gash in it. Hurt like a son-of-a-gun. Ended up on antibiotics for a week. *sigh* The joys of pet ownership. We are trying a different, more gentle approach.

It's great to see the season moving along. There is more light in the sky, both earlier and later. Some days, it warms up and I can swear that I smell Spring in the air. Just a few more weeks and I'll be preparing to expand the garden. So looking forward to that.

ES, I am happy for you that you are already enjoying the joys of Spring.

First things first, our little group is planning our annual Tolkien Fair. The hall is booked and now we are doing advertizing. It will be fun! Just have to decide whether I will be a Wood Elf again this year or go back to the elegant gown of previous years.

BTW - some of you might be interested in watching this BBC series called Secrets of the Castle. it's a bout a castle being built in Guedelon, France, using only tools, materials and techniques of medieval times. Here is a link to the BBC website : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04sv5nc

Wishing you all well ! Namarië.

[Edited on 03/08/2015 by Neenime]
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
BelleBayard
Send Message
Falls are so bad, and so sorry you had such a bad one, awelyn! I'm going to have to be very careful once we move to Colorado to not do that. Hope you are healing well.

Neenime, ow... not good. That's probably one of the most difficult things to do with a dog. You can bury pills in butter or meat, but flushing ears? Oy... Good luck.

As for weather, it rained like crazy up until yesterday, but it's also been quite chilly. I believe there may be snow on our mountains with the nip in the air I feel, but nothing like what my daughter and her family are in right now (they stayed home one day last week because it was coming down so hard).

Take care all!
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
@ Neenime - dog bites can be nasty. I've been lucky so far, although one of the bull mastiff bitches I was care-taking bit me through the wrist a few years back.

My male bully had chronic ear issues (seems to occur more frequently with males) which were actually exacerbated by the medication the vet gave me. The breeder told me to use a warm solution of plain water with a bit of dish-washing liquid in it and it worked like a charm. The key seemed to be staying on top of it. The only problem I had was that he had to be flushed outside otherwise I had water everywhere!
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
OMG Awelyn what a bad week you had.It seems that when something bad happens it will happen almost always at the same time.Hope you're fine and that your leg doesn't hurt too much.Your daughter and granddaughther were very lucky,you would think that people will be more careful in bad weather but no! they think they can drive as if it was summertime,it makes me mad because they put the life of others in danger.What a bunch of nuts!!!

ES: We had 10cm of snpw today but it was mild -6C.The forecaster said we're going to have a late spring...please have mercy on me!!!!!

NEENIME:Ears are worst than cutting nails or give a pill to your pet.Dogs don't like the feeling of cold liquid inside their ears and it makes things very difficult for the owner.Gentleness is the key but the dog doesn't always cooperate.Hope your finger will heal fast.I'm glad you can smell spring coming here all I smell is snow.My husband will have to put rope around me when the good weather comes because I'll be crazy like a space cadet
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Hello all.

Awelyn - how's the leg feeling today ? I hope you're managing OK.

Yes, the dog ears are a trial. My husband has developed a very gentle, gradual way to squirt a little solution in, using a well-soaked cotton ball. It doesn't get as much liquid in as the syringe, but it's ultimately more effective, as the likelihood of getting ANY solution in is far higher with this method. We're thankful for the late Dr. Sophia Yin's web site for the basic technique, which she showed for nail clipping. http://drsophiayin.com/

My husband and I went to see a broadcast of Stratford (Canadian) Festival's King Lear. It's shown in movie theatres, just like The Met's opera series. We found that we got more out of this than a live performance, since the sound was excellent and the camera work allowed you to see all the nuances of the actors' expressions. In a theatre, you can miss a lot as the actors move about and don't always face you.

In any case, it was a brilliant production. What a physically and emotionally demanding role ! It was an afternoon well spent. Shakespeare was brilliant !

Good health and happiness to you all.

“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
@ Neenime - Since becoming Games Mod where I encounter multiple double posts on daily basis, I have become something of an automaton and find myself automatically deleting double posts when I see them. Yours included ......

Having confessed that, I will get back to the purpose I was writing this entry in the first place. Your comment about seeing Shakespeare on the stage, reminded me of the time I saw Macbeth played (surprisingly small) stage at the Swan Theatre in Stratford-upon-Avon. It was a marvellous experience and the acoustics were fabulous. We spent several day in Stratford doing all of the "touristy" things. Lovely place.

Continuing to brag, the weather here has been wonderful! I've actually had to bring out the hose and water the gardens as the rain has been absent for a good part of the time. My delphiniums are growing like crazy which makes me wonder what kind of floral presentation they will give me. I just hope we don't get any deep frosts.

I have put a ton of pansies in as well and am now mulling over whether or not I should move the columbine I planted last year. I'm not entirely happy with it where it is but I'm not sure where else it will fit in. I decided to forgo ordering from the catalogue this year, preferring to buy locally so I can talk to a nursery employee about how big the plants will actually get. I had some surprises last summer. LOL

Anyway, I hope everybody has a fabulous week, especially those of you who have been bucking a particularly nasty winter.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Hi ES - didn't realize I had done a double post. Thanks for correcting that.

ES - Your post about fine weather is making me smile as I look forward to that here. We're to have temps above zero all week ! That's remarkable for March. It will mean slush and mud and muddy doggie feet for a few weeks, but I am so-o-o ready for a break. February was the coldest month locally since the 1930's.

Started re-reading Sil yesterday, to refresh my memory. Might borrow History of Middle Earth from my brother. haven't ever read that.

Working on Easter Eggs again. Tried a couple Hobbit-themed ones last year. Smaug sitting on his pile of gold turned out well. Will try to post a photo soon.

Namarië .
awelyn418
Send Message
Spring is here in my area! My crocus are blooming ,hyacinths are pushing up through the ground and I saw a ladybug today.
My leg is better still a little sore but I am healing and my daughter and granddaughter are fine too. I have not been here this week because my sister is in the hospital with pneumonia. So between watching my 2 year old granddaughter and being with her I have been busy.
Neenime how is your thumb? I love your Easter eggs. How is your doggie too? Have a great week.
Dimple sorry Spring will be delayed in your area. Hang on it will come.
Belle when you move to Colorado you will have to get those shoes with cleats to help you with the ice and snow.
ES it was scary falling. You have no support ,no control and you just can't believe you are falling. I appreciate you all wishing me well.
My granddaughter is really talking so much and she is like a parrot repeats everything.I was changing her diaper and my husband asked me a question. I said I don't know babe and we heard sweet Lily say I don't know babe exactly like me. She made me laugh. Have a great week .
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
AWELYN: Glad your leg is healing and your daughter and granddaughter are fine too but I'm sorry your sister is sick and hope she'll recover soon.I can imagine your crocus and hyacinths blooming with their nice colors pushing through the soil and have a little sunshine and warmth on their nice petals.

NEENIME: I remember a while ago when you posted some of your eggs I thought it was awsome,they are just beautiful.Love to see them again.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
I am working on posting some photos of Tolkien-inspired decorated eggs. Having technical difficulties getting the photo to the right resolution for the Internet. I tried using iPhoto on my Mac but he image is too large.

Have to resize it using photo processing software, which I will get to on Monday or Tuesday.

Hope you're all well.

TTFN

Sorry for the delay.
awelyn418
Send Message
Have a great week and have a good rest tonight.
awelyn418
Send Message
Neenime can't wait to see those photos. Happy Spring tomorrow everyone.
awelyn418
Send Message
It was a beautiful day today. What is everyone doing for Tolkien Reading Day?
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
To be honest Awelyn I didn't think about the Tolkien reading day at all,we had snow for spring and today a wind storm, we had a hard time to see outside, my mind was elsewhere I guess.

For the ones who can enjoy it have a nice spring
awelyn418
Send Message
I am posting some passages from Tolkien on our realm . Lorien has two new members and it is wonderful . We are having snow Dimple in some parts of the USA too. I am having Spring like weather. Have a great week.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Good day, all. Welcome to Spring. We still have a foot or so of snow here, but there has been plenty of melting and the ground is showing in many places. A few brave willows have started showing their buds. No doubt some of you have crocuses and hyacinths already, perhaps even tulips. Ours are a few weeks away yet.

Our NERDS group had a successful Tolkien Fair yesterday. We had 16 visitors in addition to our 8 members. All the visitors were new, including a fellow who is a bit of a poet and was inspired by Howard Shore's LOTR soundtracks to learn the tin flute. Two young ladies in their early teens arrived in homemade costumes.

We had readings and discussion, displays, trivia quizzes, a word search and a chance to write your name in Elvish. I don't now whether this link will work outside of Facebook. It shows photos from our annual event over the past 2 years. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.410267298986959&type=1

The fair is held on a Sunday afternoon as we get more people out that way. Both photographers at the local paper are fans so they always publish a photo and article for us the day before, to generate interest. We are very fortunate that way.

Awelyn - I like your idea of posting passages. I would like to do that here and on Facebook as well.

BTW - There is a local designer whose store is called Elfarrow. Here is a link to a photo of a dress that could pass for Elven garb if worn with leggings and high boots. https://www.facebook.com/elfarrowapparel/photos/o.284406804949947/647924421931515/?type=3&theater Mine is black with some dark green detailing on one sleeve.

Wishing you all a glorious day.

[Edited on 03/23/2015 by Neenime]

[Edited on 03/23/2015 by Neenime]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Well, I'm certainly glad spring has finally arrived, although we had a pretty amazing winter; as did some of the rest of you, although not for the opposite reason. The spring colours certainly do a lot to lift the spirits, and my neighbour across the street has approx. 2,000 bulbs planted in their gardens which cover an acre of land. Most of my bulb came up as well so it's quite lovely right now.

The kittens are growing like bad weeds and Conor managed to scrape all the fur off his chin, doing what I don't know. There was a small wound at the centre of his chin so I'm guessing he tried to go under something, or fell out of a tree. His brother has the sense to come down trees backwards. He occasionally forgets to do it. LOL The old geezer is enjoying the warmer weather and spending more time outside.

Right now I'm baking something for dessert so I had better run and check on it. Have an awesome week everybody.
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
TOLKIEN POSTING FOR READING DAY :

The strength of Sam's devotion to Frodo, and their cause, really touched me, especially given that it arose despite class differences. We don't realize how remarkable that might have seemed to readers of Tolkien's generation.

Again, adversity can break down barriers between people if they face it together, instead of continuing to hold on to their divisions.

"The last stage of their journey to Orodruin came, and it was a torment greater than Sam had ever thought he could bear.He was in pain, and so parched that he could no longer swallow a morsel of food. It remained dark...... the air was full of fumes; breathing was difficult and painful......

With a gasp, Frodo cast himself upon the ground. Sam sat by him. To his surprise he felt tired but lighter, and his head seemed clear again. No more debates disturbed his mind. He knew all the arguments of despair and would not listen to them. His will was set, and only death would break it........

At last he groped for Frodo's hand. It was cold and trembling. His master was shivering. "I didn't ought to have left my blanket behind." muttered Sam; and lying down he tried to comfort Frodo with his arms and body. Then sleep took them and the dim light of the last day of their quest found them side-by-side......

(LOTR-BookVI - Chap 3 Mount Doom)
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Thanks, Neenime!Image The above excerpt reminds me why, after all these years, I still believe Samwise Gamgee to be the real hero of the tale.
awelyn418
Send Message
Thank you Neenime. Your Tolkien fair sounds lovely. I love Sam and have always had thought him a hero.
ES your cats sound cute,funny and lively. Have a great week.
awelyn418
Send Message
First day of April and it was so nice now we are going to have thunderstorms. My sweet basset is sick. She has heart disease her doctor said. She has labored breathing and fluid on her lungs. So She is taking antibiotics and lasix(diuretic) and a heart pill.She is 12 so I guess these things should be expected but it makes me sad. Not to mention I have a birthday on the 18th of April and I am feeling old.n a happier note Spring is here in full bloom in my area. Birds,flowers,butterflies and sunny weather but it has still been a little cool. Have a great night and a good week.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Yes, I completely relate, awelyn. Animals age so much faster than us and it's hard to see them start failing. Same with our aches and pains - brings our mortality to mind. For our weather, warmer, but not hot yet. Could use more rain as things are starting to get too dry again, but that's in the news everywhere. Wishing you and yours well.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
NEENIME:Among all the characters of the tale Sam is the one I feel closer he is simple not complicated yet wise.Some of the things he said or things he did brought tears to my eyes not because it was mushy but because it was true.Like in the excerpt when he takes Frodo in his arms,it was the thing to do, the human thing to do.he could have just lay beside him and fell asleep but with courage knowing that maybe it was the end he choose to comfort Frodo.he choose friendship and love.He is real and courageous.I just love him.

AWELYN:I know how you feel, I remember how too well when my Bruno was sick and how awfull I felt and how it was hard to get through it .Do you know ,my friend, when I feel old beside having the normal physical aches that life brings on us?It is when I feel sad and unhappy,it is when I feel there is much behind me and less in front of me and there is nothing I can do about it and when it happens I try to focus on the things I love to do, the persons around me that I love, the family,my daughter,my dog,the gardening,my books and I think after all this is not too bad I can still do that for a long long time again and I feel ok again.Wish you well

Came back monday from Montreal.Went to see the family and my mother who turns 103years old on the 26 of march.I feel lucky to have her around and speak to her every week on the phone.She is always on a good mood when seeing her children and grandchildren.Hope she can be with us for a little while again.

Rain,snow(about 5inches) and freezing rain for the week-end,not the ideal!!!!

Have a good night all
awelyn418
Send Message
My basset is so much better. She has to be on medicine the rest of her life but to see the sparkle back in her eyes makes it worth it and she is not hurting.
Good advice Dimple. You always make me feel better. I am so glad you still have your mother and that you talk to her weekly. How is your weather now?
My youngest daughter is having a boy. So she plans on this being her last baby since she will now have a boy and a girl. They are so happy. The names they are thinking about are Owen,Wyatt and Carter. with the middle name being Anthony after his dad's first name. Lily calls him baby brudder.

Belle I hope you get rain soon. Thank you Belle wishing you and yours well also.
Have a great Monday my friends.

BelleBayard
Send Message
Glad to hear your doggie is doing better, awelyn, and thanks for the good wishes. We moved our travel trailer this weekend and put it down at a friend's house for him to work on and get it in better shape. Next move is to get all the stuff we put up in storage out of its current location and figure out what to do with it all. I have vague plans of renting a good sized U-Haul and towing the trailer and taking all the stuff up to Colorado in September, but that remains to be seen. Time roars by and I don't want to be caught we so many thing to do the closer we get to retirement.

The weather hasn't been horribly hot, but still too dry. Mowing the lawn is a joke - mowing the dry weeds is more like it. The only place that is even remotely green is under our spouting cabinet, which is now infested with rodents that are eating the seed before it has a chance to germinate! We messed with that yesterday and hope what we did will at least slow them down. *sigh* I'm off to work after being gone two days last week - Monday last week was my usual day off, but Friday a migraine laid me low again. Who knows what triggered it except stress, lack of eating or drinking water right. I'm so tired...

Take care my friends!
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
AWELYN:Yesterday and today we had fantastic weather,totally springlike,this afternoon the temperature jump up to 65F,it was so good to feel the sun and the warmth.I can see the grass on the side of the house and in front of the kitchen window,now if the snowbanks could melt a little faster that would be great.I can't wait to start gardeningCongratulations to your daughter and her hubby.

BELLE: So many things to do and think about before retirement isn't it?No wonder why you're so tired and stressed.But all the same you should eat and drink right and try to sleep.Take a nice bath with lots of bubbles and listened to music you like or read a book or imagine yourself already retired and all you have to do is think what you're going to do today.Take care
BelleBayard
Send Message
Thanks, Dimple! I'm wishing I could take time off just to work on the house, clearing clutter that has accumulated since 1991 when I retired. I KNOW we'll find things we either thought we'd lost or forgot we even had. It's such a daunting task.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Hi all! Good to see you're all enjoying the Spring weather. It certainly lifts the spirit to see all the new life popping up again. And a new grandchild awelyn! Wonderful. Give basset dog an ear rub from me.

My friend recently had to move out so the house could be refurbed. She's got rheumatoid arthritis so I did most of the packing. We ended up getting rid of most of the stuff, so the local charity shops did well. It's very refreshing in a way, having to make decisions like that. Since I moved here 4 years ago it's filled up with stuff so I need to do the same - again!

I'm making the most of this spell of warm weather, throwing off the letharge of winter hibernation and stepping out across the moors. Not so sprightly now, my knees are going. But life is good, yes.

Keep well all.
<< First7891011Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email