Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lenielestel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Archer, archery....
on: June 02, 2014 12:34
I'm surprised if I am the first one to ask about this...but I did searches and found nothing similar. Maybe I am just bad at searching? If so, my apologies.

As far as I can tell, there are no Sindarin words for archery or archer, although I did find bow and arrow. I am wondering if anyone had coined a linguistically reasonable word or phrase to mean "archer." ?

I was thinking something like....

Edhel na cû (elf with a bow)

Or something like the English word "bowman"...not sure how I would do that. Maybe Cû-ben?

Ideas?
Lenielestel
Council Member
Send Message
Ooh, or what about Pengor?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
You could use either -or or -ben, as both have been used with nouns that don't have a corresponding verb stem; see Orodben and Bachor.
(-or of course is also used with verbs, such as Maethor = Warrior from Maetha- = to fight).

Which gives you the option of:
Pengor
Pengben
or Cû-ben as you suggest.
Not sure which I prefer!
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
Goldogrin had cwingron "archer" [PE11:28], which leads one to conjecture *pengron in Sindarin. A similar attested formation is lhing-ril for "spider".

[Edited on 06/03/2014 by Elhath]
Lenielestel
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you both for your suggestions!
I am working on translating archery range commands for a little project (and my own amusement), which is what got me started. I've had a few difficulties, encountered some new sentence structure ideas, and generally had a lot of fun!

Here's what I've come up with so far. I would welcome any comments/advice!

Archery commands

Range clear?
I lír lost? (The range is empty?)
I lír barn? (The range is safe?)

Archers to the line.
Pengyr, anglenno i tî. (Archers, approach the line.)

The range is open.
Laden i lír.

You may loose when ready.
Cin defin leithio i philinn ir felegir hûr.
(I permit you to loose the arrows when you feel ready.)
However, I understand that this "ir" is questionable. Another thought...

N'i felegir hûr, cin defin leithio i philinn.
Na i lu felegir hûr, cin defin leithio i philinn.

Range is closed.
Hollen i lír.

Bows down.
Caedo cy gin. -or- Caedo ping gin.

You may retrieve.
Leutho i philinn gin. (Pick up your arrows.)

(Starting a speed round)
5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Loose!
Leben, canad, neledh, tâd, min, Leithio!
5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Stop.
Leben, canad, neledh, tâd, min, Daro!
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
There's also an older verb adleg- = to let loose, to release you could use.

I'm not really sure lîr = row, range has the meaning you're using it for, as the Etymologies gloss includes "Cf. oeglir range of mountain peaks." It's a range or a row 'of' something rather than 'an archery range'.
Lenielestel
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, of course! How silly of me. I read the definition of lír "row, range" and somehow my brain couldn't make any kind of connection between the two words. Must have been too deeply in archery mode. Thank you! Might "parth" or "pel" be more appropriate? I'm leaning towards "pel, a fenced field" as most target ranges do tend to be fenced in some way for safety.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, pel would work nicely I think. Parth is more place names of large areas of grassland.
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
I'm glad I found this thread! I need a word for "draw" or "pull", relating to bowstrings. The only word "draw" I can find is teithia-, for drawing with pens and ink. Anyone have a suggestion?
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
The root *THAK behind Q. saca- "draw, pull" (see elfdict.com) would produce Sindarin *thag-, *thaga- as the simplest verb stems. (Whereas employing the proto-Eldarin suffix *-jâ- would give *the(i)gia-.)

A Gnomish-period verb ciltha- with the gloss "tug, jerk (out)" is found in Parma Eldalamberon #11, but with that a possible clash with the later (primary) word-root KIL which has the sense "divide / choose" should be taken into account.

[Edited on 04/08/2015 by Elhath]
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Le hannon, Elhath!
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email