Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First23456Last >>
Author Topic:
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym nodded, then went back to the mysterious man's table. "Excuse me, sir," she said. "Yes?" he asked abruptly. "Mosaic is busy at the moment. She would like to know why you are here, and what you want." Nym replied evenly. The man considered this request for what seemed like an eternity to Nym. Finally he said quietly, "I have news of Targon. It cannot wait." "Thank you for telling me your reason, sir," Nym said, attempting to hide her surprise. "I will see if she can come." Nym hurried back to the kitchen. "Mosaic, he says he has news of Targon."
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine sat after much protesting. He glanced up when he heard someone ask for Mosaic. A man clothed in peculiar clothing sat at a table half shadowed. There was something strange yet familiar about him. Then when the man turned to answer Nym the light fell on his face. As soon as Nym left, Eadwine jumped up and walked over to the man.
"Captain Argod!" he exclaimed. "I thought you were still in Gondor with your leg."
"Eadwine," the man answered, "glad to see you all in one piece. Someone needs to have better luck than me."
"How is it by the way?" Eadwine asked frowning slightly.
The man pulled his cloak aside revealing an stump with a bandage tied around.
"Its healed just keeping it on for a bit still. What about you lad, I heard you got skewered."
"I'm fine."
Eadwine turned when Mosaic and Nym approached curiously.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Mosaic, he says he has news of Targon!" Nym cried, returning into the kitchen.

Mosaic dropped a plate full of food. It shattered, sending a mess about the floor. Those working with her shouted her name, but Mosaic kicked bread off of her shoes and hurried over to Nym.

"What!?" She cried.

The two of them hurried out into the dining room, where it was only slightly quieter and less chaotic. There, Mosaic found Eadwine sitting with the man Nym spoke of.

Without introduction, Mosaic slammed her hands onto the table. "Tell me what you know of my brother," she demanded.

We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine listened as the Captain recounted his story.
"I come from Gondor. Your brother was healing fast but fever returned and he fell into delirium. He kept calling for Mosaic. The healers sent me to find Mosaic. The healers think you can pull him out of Death's Door."
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic stared at the Captain. "Where is my brother located?" she asked. "We have planend to make a journey, but do not yet have the monetary means to travel."
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
"He is in the infirmary, in central Gondor." replied the man. Nym nodded. "That's where Derik said Targon was, in his last letter." The man continued, "I may be able to help you with the cost of your journey, though I cannot cover all of the expense."
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"I can help," Eadwine chimed in.
The Captain smiled then returned to the conversation.
"The Healers requested that you come as soon as possible."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"I appriciate your willingness to lend us coin, but the three of us have barely enough to cover half the food for our journey, let alone clothing and other provisions," Mosaic said. "Mother will not take kindly to me if I borrow money that we cannot return."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Well then," the Captain replied setting down a bag, "It is good that the Healers decided to give you enough for your journey. No returns. It seems as if your brother captured a place in the hearts of the Healers. They request you make your journey as soon as possible."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
As the Captain set the bag of money on the table, Mosaic instantly knew that it would be enough for all of them on the journey. Tentatively, she reached over and picked it up. It was heavy, ladden with peices of silver and copper.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"When do we leave Mosaic?" Eadwine asked.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
"I am still unsure whether I will be able to go on the journey." Nym said quietly. "But perhaps if my parents were to meet you, they would consent."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Well, we can leave tonight, so we will not encounter many that we know in the day, as well as collect today's earnings and tips," Mosaic said. "And then we can stop at Nym's home and meet her parent,s and then go off again on our way to Gondor."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine nodded, "Well lets make sure that we earn something today."
He rose and went out to the stalls.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym rose from the table, thanked the man, then said, "Can I get you anything, sir?" He smiled. "I would like some dinner. Soup, bread, and water would be good." Nym nodded and headed for the kitchen.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine finished cleaning the stalls. He walked over to Swift and rubbed his nose.
"Looks like we will be going on a journey old boy," he said.
Swift tossed his head as if saying "Thought so."
Eadwine patted him then went back into the inn.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic snagged Nym on her way to the kitchen, nodding towards the Captain. "Make sure that he pays for nothing," she said.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym nodded, then continued walking. She filled the Captain's order, then carried it on a tray to his table. She set it down, and the Captain pulled out his money pouch. "Oh no," she said quickly, "Mosaic insists that you don't pay."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
The day passed slowly for each of them. Travelers came and went leaving their tired mounts in his care whilst they ate and drank. Then at the end of the day they would stride out and take their mounts and be on their way. It was dusk when Mosaic cleared the inn closing rather early.
"Who is going to keep this place while your gone," he asked Mosaic quietly.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Who is going to keep this place while your gone?" Eadwine asked.

"Oh, mother will have to summon the means to get up and do somethings herself," Mosaic said, tying her saddle.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym silently saddled her horse. Once the threesome and their horses were ready, they set out. Nym led the way to her home. They rode in silence, each busy with their own thoughts.

When they arrived, Nym said quietly, "I will go in first to speak with my parents. Then I will come for you two." She slid off Naria's back, tied her reins, then hurried into the house. Once inside, she found her mother in the kitchen, making supper. She looked up as her daughter entered. She smiled. "Nym!" she said, "You are home early!" She gave Nym a hug, which she returned. "Mosaic closed early." explained Nym. Her mother glanced at her, and continued working. Nym was silent for a moment, then said, "Mother, were you able to speak with Father about my going on the journey to Gondor?" "He said he would like to meet the friends you would be traveling with," replied her mother. "And he wanted to consider it for a bit." Nym hesitated, then said, "The means to go on the journey have been provided." At this, her mother stopped her dinner preparations. "How?" she asked. "A man at the inn today gave us the money. Apparently, he knows Targon. He told us that Targon is constantly asking for Mosaic, so the healers requested of him to find her, and provide the funds necessary for the journey." Nym's mother nodded. She began working on dinner again. "I brought my friends here to meet you," Nym added. "I can go get them now, if you like." "You left them outside, dear?" her mother exclaimed. "But it is so cold! Yes, do bring them in!" Nym had to smile at that. She hurried out, and beckoned her two friends inside the small, warm house. Although it was poorly furnished, there was a cheery fire blazing in the hearth in the living room, which adjoined the kitchen. While Nym helped her little sister set the table, Mosaic and Eadwine warmed themselves by the fire. Nym and Kilia's father was seated in a rocking chair, drawn close to the fire. He cleared his throat, then said, "You must be Mosaic and Eadwine, Nym's friends."

[Edited on 07/30/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"You must be Mosaic and Eadwine, Nym's friends."
"Yes sir," Eadwine answered. "It is a pleasure to meet you."
The room was warm and smelled of fresh bread. The way every true home should smell. He remembered his own home once long ago. He shifted uncomfortably, the room had grown unnaturally quiet and he wished he knew what to say.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
The man studied Eadwine and Mosaic. After a long pause he said, "I am Airen, Nym's father." Eadwine nodded. Another pause. "Where are you from, Eadwine?" asked Airen. He was testing Eadwine, trying to see if it would be safe for Nym to travel with him. He appeared to be staring at the fire, but he was looking at Eadwine from the corner of his eye.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine turned to Airen.
"I am from the Westfold sir. Your daughter told me that you were involved in the War. You might have known my father, Eorllic if you were present at the battles at Helms Deep and Gondor."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic watched as Nym's father sized up Eadwine. "You may know my father and brother also," she said, "If you were present at the battles that Eadwine speaks of."
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Airen nodded. "Aye, I was there," he said softly, sadly. He sighed. "Aye, and my son Derik as well." He looked from Eadwine to Mosaic. "I remember these men you speak of. Brave men, they were, and are." Just then, Nym's mother said, "Dinner is ready, dear." Airen motioned his daughters to him, and they supported him when he rose, and helped him to the table. There was a steaming pot of stew, and some fresh-baked rolls. Nym's mother smiled at the two visitors. "I am Fayne, Nym's mother, and this is Kilia, her younger sister." she said as they sat down for the meal. She filled the bowls with the delicious smelling stew, then passed them out, along with the rolls. They ate, and all agreed it was a very good meal.

After they finished eating, Nym helped her father back to his place by the fire, then went to help her mother clean up. Airen said softly, "I think so." Eadwine looked puzzled. "Excuse me, sir?" Airen looked Eadwine in the eye and said evenly, "I believe I can trust to take care of my daughter."

[Edited on 08/08/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine nodded, "And that I will sir."
They spent a few hours laughing and talking of past experiences. It was late when they retired, Mosaic going to sleep with Kilia and Nym and he himself sleeping on the far side of the room. It was a pleasant night and he rose refreshed in the morning and went and checked on the horses. When he returned the family was up and preparing for the morning meal.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic helped Nym's mother prepare the morning meal, cracking eggs over a pan and frying them until they were a dark yellow color. "Nym!" She called to her friend, who has just entered into the room. "How many eggs should I make?"
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
"Oh...probably six, I supposed." replied Nym.

~~~~~~~~~~

After the meal was complete and the kitchen cleaned, the group gathered up in the living room. Although it was small, they managed to fit everyone there. After Airen had given some advice and directions and hugged Nym, the three friends walked out to the stables, followed by Fayne and Kilia. The horses were saddled. They would stop for provisions once they got back to the main town. Nym turned to her sister. Kilia threw herself into Nym arms and burst into tears. "Don't go, Nym!" she cried. "Who will sleep with me, and braid my hair, and help me mend cloths, and....?" Her voice broke and she just cried. Nym struggled to contain her own tears. "Well, you make it sound like I'll be gone forever!" she said. "I will be coming back." She squeezed her little sister. "Who knows?" she said, pulling back to look at Kilia, "Maybe I can convince Derik to come back for a visit." This made Kilia smiled through her tears. "I love you, Nym." That was it. It was as though a dam broke. The tears flowed freely. "I love you too." Then Nym stood and hugged her mother. Fayne had tears running down her face as well as she hugged Nym. She held her close, and said softly, "I love you, my Nymira." "I love you too, Mama." They parted, and Nym smiled bravely at her mother and sister. "I will be back." she promised. She wiped away her tears, then turned to her friends and nodded. They got on the horses and rode back into town.

[Edited on 08/08/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]

[Edited on 08/09/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine watched as Nym said a tearful farewell to her sister. He remembered such a scene when his father left Cwen at Aunt's and took him to train. The journey into town was mostly silent except for the plodding of the horse's hooves.
"We should get food for the journey," Eadwine advised breaking the silence.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic had smiled through bher own tears at seeing Nym's sisters grief at their departure. She remembered that she had done the same thing when Targon had enlisted.

When Eadwine brought up the issue of food, Mosaic had foirced a laugh, and said, "Men and their meals!" She looked to Nym. "What do you think we should purchase?"
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym tried to smile. "We need dried meat, dried fruit, twice-baked bread, and canteens. Unless we are trying to avoid having to cook, we could also buy some ingredients for cooking and baking." She paused, then said, "Perhaps we should make a list..."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Of course," Mosaic said, at Nym's notion to make a list. "What did you bring when you were a traveler, before the war? For food, I mean. Although hunted meat will not last long in this weather." She looked to Eadwine. "Can you make a list?"
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym looked thoughtful. "True, I hadn't thought of that." Then she said, "Well, we would bring those things I mentioned, along with ingredients for cooking. Father and I would go hunting also."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine colored hotly, "I'm afraid that I didn't get to study my letters," he admitted. "But I can hunt and cook," he added.
<< First23456Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email