Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First34567Last >>
Author Topic:
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
"Oh, I can write the list," Nym said. "But I don't have paper...Mosaic, would we be able to get some paper and something to write with at the inn?"

After they retrieved the pen and paper, and Nym had written the list, they set off for the market on horseback. "First we need to stop for dried goods." she said.

[Edited on 08/13/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Ithilwen sorted through the many herbs and healing preparations at the apothecary's shop. "Hmmm..." she thought, I may have to search in the wild for what I need. First, I may as well get the rest of my supplies for the journey back. This decided, she left the shop and proceeded onto the dried goods.

[Edited on 08/10/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine breathed in relief as the girls didn't seem to mind his ignorance. It would be a first time. They entered the town, Nym made a list, the first stop was the dried goods. They dismounted tying their horses to a rail. Eadwine turned only to bump into a tall woman.
"I'm sorry ma'am," he apologized profusely helping her retrieve her items.
She stooped to pick up the last package when he noticed, well, her ears.
"Your an Elf!" he gasped.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
"Your an Elf!" Eadwine gasped.

Ithilwen swiftly replaced the hood of her cloak that had fallen off when she was bumped. "Yes, I am. But must you really shout that to all of Rohan? Not everyone here takes kindly to strangers, my kind least of all." She adjusted the packages in her arms and smoothed a hand over her gray peasant dress.

[Edited on 08/10/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Sorry ma'am," Eadwine apologized again.
He remembered seeing on of her kind before Gondor. He had shot down a mumakil and all of it's riders. The girls hadn't noticed his blunder and where already in the store.
"Can I help you," he asked.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
"Can I help you?" Eadwine asked.

"No, unless you know of something around here that will cure a deadly fever," Ithilwen answered.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"I don't," Eadwine said, "You could check the..."
He was about to say "apothecary's shop" but he noticed one of her packages had the apothecary shop's signature.
"Uh..."
But she was had walked away and entered the dried goods. He shrugged and stood by the horses waiting on the girls.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"We could," Mosaic said, at the mention of paper. "But I fear that it may arouse trouble with the coworkers we abandoned."

They stooped anyway, entering quickly and leaving even quicker. When they remounted, they rode for another few minutes, and then arrived at a dry goods stall.

"We should get some flour," Mosaic said to Nym as they approached, leaving Eadwine with the horses. "Margarine won't keep, and the sugar won't for very long, either. But we will need to get some, for our tea." She turned to the shopkeeper, and asked, "What spices have you for sale?"

He replied, "Some cinnamon. Garlic. I heard you speak of flour; we just got a delivery in this morning."

"Have you clover? Onion?"

"Aye, miss, some." Mosaic didn't recognize him; he wasn;t the usual vendor.

"Then we will take a half sack of flour, a pinch of cinnamon, and a cup each of onion and clove."

The vendor measured out the wares, and told her the price. Nym gasped aloud, and Mosaic quickly turned. She hadn't expected the cost to be so abhhorent. Reluctantly, she pulled out the alloted coins, and set them down.

"If I may," She said, "Why have prices risen?"

"The new King Eomer, missy. Got's the taxes up so he can rebuild the fortress Helms Deep."

Mosaic gathered up their things. As she did, she and Nym were joined at the stall by a tall, fair woman, cloaked in grey.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine fidgeted with the reins waiting on the girls. Yes he knew how to shop and to barter but he would rather the girls do it. In fact he was a poor shopper. He grinned when the two girls left the booth and returned carrying parcels.

[Edited on 08/15/2014 by Cenor]
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
Dawn came red and fierce over the rolling hillocks and boulders of the Westfold, casting a crimson gold glow across the lands and over a lone traveler. The elf by the name of Iorveth was he and he rode hard with a singular purpose.

Iorveth's horse pounded over the oft trampled grass and neighed wearily; there had been no rest since they forded the Isen and summer heat was gathering quickly. The elf lazily gave the reigns a gentle tug as he felt the ache of travel, too. "Not long now," came his reassuring utterance, half to himself and half to his steed. Sure to his word, they rounded the edge a stony outcropping and beheld the hilltop city of Edoras little more than a league away across gently sloping hillocks.

There were few questions at the gate and the guardsmen seemed to have hardly awoken for their shift as Iorveth slowly plodded up the path leading his mount sagging behind him. The morning was heavy with dew and rising humidity which reflected in the drooping demeanor of the soldiers. "Business?" they had inquired as ordered.

"A brief stop, nothing more." The reply was truthful enough; he had no other intentions yet. His body felt spent and required more than a bit of rest to rejuvenate his tired tendons.

A curt nod signaled their approval and Iorveth wasted not a moment trudging through the gate and up the steep incline to the nearest inn. His mount was given proper lodging as was he. Before rest came, however, his grumbling stomach needed to be addressed; luckily it was a short walk to the nearby market. His cloak-clad form climbed the gentle slope and curved around the end of a few lodgings to long row of diverse stalls peddling various goods. Iorveth plucked a few worn coins from a pouch at his belt and purchased himself a bit of fruit to sustain him. At the stall adjacent there was smalltalk involving taxes and the battle at Helm's Deep. News of this had reached even the distant ears of Lindon. A devastating battle to the already few battle-ready men of Rohan. The elf kept silent and handled a few transactions. He intended on only a brief respite in Edoras and had no interest in involving himself in local matters just yet.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic started to hand parcels to Eadwine, so he could stow them away, when she suddenly realized one thing. She groaned and muttered a curse, and, at her companions questioning faces, burst out, "Dried goods! Dried meat, dried fruit..." she shook her head. "That was the main point of coming here." She grabbed Nym's arm. "Come. We will need to find another place to barter. That stand was far too much coin."

As they went, Mosaic stopped in front of the tall patron that had joined them at the stall. "Excuse me," she said politely, "But do you know of anotehr place where we could purchase goods?"
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Overhearing Mosaic's question of the tall elf, Ithilwen stepped up and said, "There is no need. I just purchased the items you mentioned and will gladly share them with you, for I have more than enough." Ithilwen handed several of her packages to Mosaic. "Judging from the items you just bought and your hurried manner, it would seem you are about to begin a long journey. Pray, what is your quest?"

[Edited on 08/11/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
A slew of voices at his rear perked his senses and drew his steely hues, taking in the scene of tall man of Rohan flanked by a pair of young women and one who was unmistakably Elvish. His gaze did not settle for long and flicked back to the stall when he found himself directly addressed.

"Excuse me," came the polite inquiry. "But do you know another place where we could purchase goods?"

Iorveth paused, clearing his throat as he turned on his booted heel. "It depends what you seek, miss." His tone was flat, even and betrayed none of his interest for the party she was apart of. "Though, you would do better to seek out one of the locals. I am but just arrived here in Edoras and have only a travelers knowledge of these lands." An honest reply, as courteous as he could muster to the pretty young woman of orange locks.

During their brief conversation his attention had drifted to the elf to take in her slim, cloaked and guardedly beautiful appearance. The peasant disguise was more than enough to fool most, but did little to dissuade him from inquiring further. He did not do so yet and simply let himself muse further.

His musings were cut short when the elf-woman spoke and shifted a few awkward packages over to the orange haired woman, exchanging words of a journey to be undertaken soon. The voice was painfully familiar...
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Yes we are," Eadwine answered while Mosaic counted out coins. "We are going to Gondor to seek her brother, who is laying ill in the infirmity there. Also we are helping are friend, Nym, find a cure for her father's wound."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message

The tall man turned towards here, and Mosaic was shocked to see his bearing of confidence. "It depends what you seek, miss," He said, "Though, you would do better to seek out one of the locals. I am but just arrived here in Edoras and have only a travelers knowledge of these lands."

Suddenly, the tall woman from the stalls turned to Mosaic and Nym, and Mosaic was shocked to see her ears. An Elf!

"Judging from the items you just bought and your hurried manner, it would seem you are about to begin a long journey. Pray, what is your quest?" The She-Elf asked. She quickly handed parcels to Mosaic, who nearly staggared under their amount. She quickly handed some to Nym.

Eadwine approached then, seeming to sense the situation that Nym and Mosaic were in. "We are going to Gondor to seek her brother, who is laying ill in the infirmity there. Also we are helping are friend, Nym, find a cure for her father's wound."

Mosaic turned to stare at Eadwine, fearing that he had revealed too much to these strangers. "But, please," She said, "Speak nothing of it. The three of us have abandoned our jobs at my mother's inn, and we know, or at least, I know, a great many in these parts. We would like to be unrecognized." She was talking in circles, and she, more than anyone, realized it. She handed the parcels in her arms over to Eadwine. "Pack these."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine took the packages and loaded them onto Swift. He continued to listen whilst tying the parcels on.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
"Yes we are,We are going to Gondor to seek her brother, who is laying ill in the infirmity there. Also we are helping are friend, Nym, find a cure for her father's wound." Eadwine answered.

"But, please,speak nothing of it. The three of us have abandoned our jobs at my mother's inn, and we know, or at least, I know, a great many in these parts. We would like to be unrecognized." Mosaic said.

"Do not fear, I have no intention of revealing your secret." Ithilwen said in response to Mosaic's request. "You must be the sister Targon kept calling for. 'Mosaic', I think he called you." She paused. "The fever your brother came down with is spreading rapidly. King Aragorn used all his powers of healing to try to stop the spread of the sickness, but now he himself has fallen gravely ill. When Lord Elrond heard of it, he traveled to Gondor to see the sickness firsthand to know better how to treat it. He has found a cure, but does not have all the necessary ingredients. I was sent with Captain Argod to find them before the fever spreads through the entire city. So far I have found most of them, but am still lacking a few."

She now addressed Nym. "Where is your father wounded and how did it happen? If it is just a regular battle wound I should be able to help."

[Edited on 08/14/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
"Where is your father wounded and how did it happen? If it is just a regular battle wound I should be able to help."

"His right leg. It hasn't healed correctly. We think there may be something embedded in it, perhaps a piece of a blade." Nym replied. "The healers we have been to did not know how to treat it."
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
"His right leg. It hasn't healed correctly. We think there may be something embedded in it, perhaps a piece of a blade. The healers we have been to did not know how to treat it." Nym replied.

"I am not so skilled in that area of medicine. He may require Lord Elrond's healing expertise," Ithilwen said, "But the way to Gondor is long and hard. I do not think your father will be able to travel with such an injury. Perhaps when this sickness in Gondor is vanquished, my Lord Elrond would be willing to pass through Rohan on his way back to Rivendell and examine the wound. I will speak with him when we reach Gondor."

Ithilwen turned slightly and noticed the tall elf staring at her. His face was strikingly handsome, but that wasn't what grabbed her attention...it was his sea-grey eyes. She suddenly felt like she was drowning.

She could never forget those eyes.

[Edited on 08/18/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
There was speech of a journey and of an ailing father, though this did little to deter or detract his attention from the elf woman whose gaze briefly met his own. Those irises of blue tinged with the purest silver were so very familiar and filled the pit of his stomach with a longing he had not known for a generation. Iorveth could not maintain the gaze and quickly looked away as a stream of memories came flooding back from his not so distant past. It was too fresh for him to reminisce and neither the time nor place for him to rekindle what had once been a fruitful relationship. He was silent and diverted his focus to the orange haired girls task to Gondor.

"It is a long way to Gondor," the elf spoke softly, mirroring the elf-woman's previous remark on the road to the White City. "But I am on that path as well. My kin no longer require my services in Lindon and it is Gondor where I may be needed most; or rather, my skills," Iorveth had revealed, silently musing that it would be beneficial to travel with others on the last and most dangerous length of his journey. "I know little of healing other than what we Elves are naturally taught so your quest may be your own, but perhaps you would entertain a companion such as myself for the road? I have traveled it more than once in my many years of life and know more than a few friends on the road there. It is, though, still perilous."

Iorveth stood, arms crossed and having made his case for companionship. His expression was stoic, a stark contrast to the turmoil within himself. It was unlike him to have such duality raging beneath the surface; he had been so focused on his goal until now, though never before had he been presented with such options.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine glanced at Mosaic trying to predict what she would say. It would be good to have an extra sword or bow. The roads were dangerous and a large company would not tempt marauders and orcs.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic pondered over the addition of two companions. Finally, she said, "If you can travel quickly and be swift, then I have no objection to your addition."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine thought of something that hadn't crossed his mind when they left. He hadn't seen Mosaic pack any kind of weapon. She would at least need a dagger. He approached her.
"Mosaic did you bring any weapons with you?"
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
She shook her head rapidly. "We will not need them. Highway men dare not attack a group such as our own." She fixed Eadwine with a steel glare. "Not every instance has to contain fighting."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"No there are still orcs roaming the roads. My eored ran into a few and the orcs are not afraid to fight. They are desperate now without Sauron. You need at least a dagger."
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
At the prospect of swiftness a sly smirk had grown across Iorveth's handsome features; his entire journey thus far had been a monument to speed and perfect timing. His very essence demanded quick and concise travel.

"Delay is of no boon to me and as such you will have no lagging to worry about where I am concerned on this journey," came his sharp reply just as the man of Rohan began checking his person for arms. A longsword hung at the elf's belt opposite a short, elaborately decorated dagger; neither were inconspicuous as his cloak was cast back over his shoulders.

"There may be need of weapons on the road there, yes. I do not believe our route will be one that will necessitate combat, but it often finds travelers regardless," Iorveth had advised as his steely hues glanced down at his own weapons which his hands were none too skilled with. "I am no swordsman, but I may hold my own. Speed ought to be our preferred weapon, though." He paused, glancing furtively at Ithilwen before returning his attention to the girl whom he had overheard to be Mosaic.

"An introduction is long overdue, particularly if we are all to be traveling companions. I am Iorveth of the Grey Havens."
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
"I am Nymira, of Bree." said Nym, stepping forward. "Most call me Nym," she added, as she slipped one of her two daggers out of it's sheath and offered it to Mosaic. "Hopefully we will not need weapons," she said to Mosaic, "But it is good to be prepared." She glanced at her bow which was slung over her saddle. "I am not skilled with a sword, but I am a fair shot with my bow, and I can throw a dagger pretty well."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"My name is Mosaic," the girl said hotly, "And we have not the money to waste on a spare weapon for me."
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
"Calm yourself, fiery little maiden. Money is no object for me, so if you are too proud to take Nymira's extra dagger I will give you one of mine. And you need not even ask an elf to be swift, though some are faster than others." She said this last part with a mischievous glance directed at Iorveth. "I am Ithilwen of Rivendell."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"A few coins are worth far less than your life," Eadwine persisted. "I am Eadwine, of the Westfold."
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
"I am Ithilwen of Rivendell."

How very familiar those words were to Iorveth as his stoic facade did nothing to betray the twinge of heartbreak deep within; it was quickly stifled and his resolve steeled. He quickly reminded himself to treat her as an old friend as most elves typically do.

The others were quick to their introductions and were a fairly diverse representation of Middle-earth, though none of them were entirely out of place in the Riddermark despite this. In this age of Man it was not uncommon to see travelers from the various kingdoms dispersed throughout the lands. Elves, though rare, were more likely to leave their safe havens in this age of peace as well.

"Eadwine, Nym, Mosaic...Ithilwen," he began with an almost discernible hesitation as he uttered the she-elf's name, "I am currently lodged at the Winking Steed ((didn't know what else to call the tavern/inn, lol)). Were you all intending to stay for the rest of this day and the evening to depart tomorrow? If so, might we go grab some lunch and continue our afternoon conversation? We can debate over the necessity of weapons on our travels over a hot meal. Otherwise, we ought to make ready for our departure. It is a long trip ahead of us."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic put a hand on her hip. "I would not balk at the idea of one last warm meal before we depart," She admitted, "but I will be recognized at any of the taverns or inns in this area. It would not be such a problem if I had left my place of work with grace."
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym, although a bit miffed that Mosaic did not accept her dagger, silently put it back in it's sheath.

"I would not balk at the idea of one last warm meal before we depart," said Mosaic, "but I will be recognized at any of the taverns or inns in this area. It would not be such a problem if I had left my place of work with grace."

"I suppose we could cook our own dinner," Nym suggested. "There are still some pheasants and hares and other small game outside Edoras." She observed Ithilwen's bow. "I see you have a bow, and I assume you know how to use it well. Would you mind coming with me to hunt?"

[Edited on 08/20/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic nodded at Nym's assent to hunt instead of stay at a tavern. She turned to Iorveth and said, "But I can send one of mmy mcompanions with you to collect your things. I know the inn you stay in well; it's owner was a friend of my fathers. He is greedy, but will not cheat you out of your coin if you wish to leave early."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"I can go with him," Eadwine volunteered.
He was concerned when Mosaic refused a dagger. Dangers still lurked in the shadows. Mordor had been defeated but not extinguished.
<< First34567Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email