Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First56789Last >>
Author Topic:
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
"You know nothing of the Dunlanders if that is all you have heard, they are a ruthless and unhonorable race."

Iorveth found himself taken aback at the man of Rohan's fierce response to his own comment concerning the men of Dunland. It was an outburst that made sense to the elf, quite foreign to the land in the eyes of most men, after he considered the situation; the Rohirrim had a well-known ire for the wildmen that had grown into a deep-seated hatred over the last age, one that permeated generations. Visibly, Iorveth made no indication of the foolishness he felt in having made such an assumption in the company of one who felt so strongly on the issue. He apologized curtly and finished his stew.

The conversation graciously changed within a few moments with Mosaic's interjection about their wounded companion's fate; Iorveth's head remained bowed slightly, auburn hair glistening in the sunlight (or moonlight, glow of the fire?) and framing his visage. He glanced up for a moment to meet Ithilwen's gaze. Though neither of them held contact for long, it seemed ages for Iorveth before he reverted attention back to the empty bowl cupped in his hands.

The elf was torn from his reverie when their companion rose with a start and halted with a painful wince before returning prone. "Finally awake, I see," Iorveth commented as he scooted aside to allow Ithilwen space.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Ithilwen knelt beside the prone man. "Lie still. You have suffered much at the hands of your enemies." She pulled a few herbs out of the leather pouch at her side. "Here, chew these. It will help with the pain, if only a little."

When he had swallowed, Ithilwen turned to Nym. "Can you feed him some stew while I prepare a poultice?" She returned to the fire and began crushing herbs in a bowl. "Mosaic, would you please draw some more water?" The girl seemed to jump at the opportunity to get away from the sick man, and Ithilwen inwardly wondered about it. Eadwine stood, saying he would check on the horses and get more wood for the fire. Ithilwen gave a slight nod and continued mixing ingredients.

When she paused to braid her dark hair up out of the way, her blue eyes fell on Iorveth yet again. The light of the fire danced across his princely features and glistened on his hair. She didn't realize she had been staring until he looked up at her. Ithilwen hastily looked away before he could see the color creep into her cheeks.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine found only a few sticks. Oh well they could feed the fire with grass, though it would burn faster. He stopped by the horses making sure that they were securely picketed. The cold was getting to his leg and he was limping while he rubbed them down.

[Edited on 09/14/2014 by Cenor]
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Ithilwen turned to Nym. "Can you feed him some stew while I prepare a poultice?"

Nym nodded and moved to the stew pot which she had left near the fire to keep warm. As she spooned some stew into a bowl, she glanced at the young man. He was watching her. She quickly turned her attention back to cutting off a slice of bread from what was left of the loaf. She stood, balancing the bowl and bread in one hand as she pushed her shoulder length auburn hair over her shoulder. She needed someone to support the man's head while she fed; the only one who was unoccupied was Iorveth. He wasn't fidgeting, but he looked as if he desperately wanted something to do. "Iorveth," she said, "Will you hold the wounded man's head so that I can feed him?" He nodded and quickly moved to do as he had been asked. Nym began feeding the man in silence. After a bit she looked at the ruggedly handsome face and said, "I am Nymira, but most call me Nym. What is your name?"

[Edited on 09/14/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
As Eadwine left the party and disappeared into the nearby copse of trees to search and scramble through thickets for firewood, Iorveth had came to his feet in a careful survey of the lands about them. Far beyond the rolling green hillocks and tumbled stones were the feet of the White Mountains, glistening peaks in the afternoon sun standing like behemoths to watch over the Westfold. In their shadow Iorveth could see no obvious sign of roaming orc bands nor rogue wildmen pillaging across the countryside. Edoras was not far to their north and remained a beacon of civilization as plumes of smoke rose from chimneys and men coursed through winding streets. It gave the elf a strange hope to be so close to the cities of men in this dark age for his people; there was a comfort in knowing that Middle-earth was left in capable hands.

"Iorveth?"

His head swiveled around to see Ithilwen crushing herbs and blending various ingredients expertly with her mortar and pestle while Nym addressed him directly as she balanced bread and a bowl of warm soup in her arms. Both of them, he noted, were quite intent on caring for their wounded, still nameless companion. Iorveth silently admired their will to heal his ailments despite not knowing even his name, let alone history.

"Will you hold the wounded man's head so that I can feed him?"

Iorveth had nodded in agreement and came to a kneel beside the man. As Nym swooped down the elf had cradled the man's head to allow her to feed him the spooned portions of stew. This was followed by morsels of leftover bread, all to help him regain lost strength.

As Nym inquired as to what the unknown man's name could be, Iorveth's gaze once more found Ithilwen as she silently cobbled together the poultice from primarily local ingredients; her herb-lore was second to none, save perhaps Elrond. He felt affection swell within him as her dark hair was pulled back to reveal her delicate and fair face, hues of azure flecked with pure silver sparkling as they surveyed her work. Her motions were fluid and confident through the ease of experience. He had always enjoyed watching her work.

Iorveth quickly diverted attention to the wounded man and stifled his feelings before they could blossom. He had given them up so very long ago when she no longer reciprocated them, but instead gave her life to another...
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine limped back into camp, "Horses are secure...there wasn't much firewood...I can twist grass to use," he said through gritted teeth.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
"Lie still. You have suffered much at the hands of your enemies." She pulled a few herbs out of the leather pouch at her side. "Here, chew these. It will help with the pain, if only a little."

- the female elf said materializing at Rovan's side out of thin air as he was gasping for air the sharp sting of pain cutting deep. As the man slumped back on the ground, something that seemed like dry leaves or twigs was stuck in his mouth. Suspicious, Rovan considered spitting it out, but the elf had given him no reason to distrust her, so he tried following her advice and chew on the herbs. Instantly, his mouth filled with the most bitter taste that almost brought the contents of his stomach up, but he fought the feeling back. With disgust, Rovan slowly kept chewing on the herbs, and thought they worked. He did feel the pain recede - ar was it just his imagination and his desire to trust her promise? A thought crossed Rovan's mind - that he might just have willingly taken a venom, but he dismissed it the next moment: if it had been the elf's wish to kill him, she could just have allowed him to bleed out. He swallowed the bitter mass and heard the elf mention something about feeding him.

Rovan grunted, he didn't think he would be able to swallow anything, not with that foul taste of herbs still at the back of his throat. He tried to gather enough energy to prop himself up on his elbow to look around, but that was apparently just too much to ask of himself, so with a defeated shigh the man had to be content just to see what he could while laying down.

There were several people around the fire, and by the looks of them, all were women. Three, he counted, as one of them got up apparently to get him the stew.

"There is no need..." he started to say, but was completely ingored by the elf, as she continued with her instructions. This time the girl spoken to - Mosaic? Did he hear correctly? practically jumped to her feet.

Apparently, the elf woman was the leader of this all-female group.

Rovan's eyes returned to the young girl by the fire. He couldn't see her face because of her hair that covered her cheeks as she bent down to the pot. She was a darkened figure against the bright flames, her hair like fire and darkness at the same time. Fascinated, the young man found himself staring at her, watching her movements as she put aside the filled bowl and cut a slice of bread, all the while willing her to look up. When she finally did, his eyes were met by a steady pair of grey orbs, but she quickly looked away.

It was only when the girl had spoken to apparently the last female that had remained sitting by the fire and the tall woman rose to her feet, that Rovan realized with a start that that was in fact a man. And Elf-man. Rovan found himself staring at the Elf open-mouthed as the latter approached him more gracefully than any woman he had ever seen dance.

Was this some kind of a crazy dream? He had never seen an Elf in his life, and now there were two? This had to be a fever-enduced dream, Rovan was sure, as he squeezed his eyes shut.

Rovan felt his head being propped up.

Rovan opened his eyes to see the grey-eyed girl right next to him. She was smiling and holding a spoon full of wonderfully smelling stew. She had a very kind smile, and warm, trusting eyes. He imagined she had seen little war and death in her life. What was it like to be that young and open towards life, and people?

Her eye-brow shot up, and Rovan realized he had been staring. Not wanting to be rude, he opened his mouth and allowed himself to be spoonfed.

The stew was delicious! Rovan wasn't sure it was the aftertaste of the bitter herbs still at the back of his throat, but he suddenly discovered he was starving! But it was also embarrassing to be fed like that. As a drop of the stew escaped his mouth and was carefully wiped off by the girl feeding him, Rovan had just about had it. He coughed and shifted slightly.

"I am Nymira, but most call me Nym. What is your name?" - the girl spoke to him before he could avoid anotyher spoonful.

"Um," he tried to swallow the stew as quickly as he could, "Rovan is my name. Could I have some water, please?" he asked trying to find a polite way to avoid this undoubtedly very kind but very shameful way of being fed. He was still not full, but not starving anymore, so he though he would manage just fine.

A masculine voice announced lack of proper firewood from somewhere behind him. Ah, so there was at least one man in the company after all. No, he corrected himself guiltily, two men, including the Elf-man.

There was something about that voice... Something familiar, but Rovan couldn't quite put his finger on it.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic watched carefully as Nym nursed Rovan. Her nature was gentle; more patient than her own. It would be good then; to have someone of such fair attitude, her opposite, on this trip.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
"Rovan," Nym repeated. She noticed the man looked rather uncomfortable, and guessed this was probably due to the fact that she was feeding him. She smiled again, attempting to put him at ease, but this only seemed to make him more anxious. "Could I have some water, please?" Nym nodded, rose, and retrieved a cup and filled it with water. She returned to Rovan's side and helped him sip slowly. The man still looked hungry, but she could tell he was embarrassed to have to be spoon fed. "Perhaps that is enough for now," she said. "Thank you, Iorveth."

She looked up as Eadwine entered the clearing. "Horses are secure...there wasn't much firewood...I can twist grass to use," he said. Nym noticed he was grimacing and rubbing his leg. She stood and walked to him. "Eadwine," she said, "Let me have a look at that leg of yours."
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
"Eadwine," she said, "Let me have a look at that leg of yours."

Rovan jumped a little hearing the name. Eadwine.

The man swallowed as he considered his options. What were the chances of this being simply a coincedence? He had to assume he was arrested. The fact that he was being taken care of, could be explained with the orders of these people's superiors.

But then, Nym, the ever smiling girl, looked nothing like being in the Riders.
Perhaps Eadwine was under cover? They had been the closest thing to friends back then, when they were both Riders.

Rovan felt the Elf carefully lay his head back down on the ground. He wanted to turn, to take a look at his one-time friend, so he would know where they stood now. But his cursed body was too weak.

Rovan closed his eyes. Perhaps this was a coincidence after all? Perhaps Eadwine had just happened to be there, and had not noticed him yet? For a split second, Rovan had the urge to hide his face do that he wouldn't be recognized. But no, such attempt at deception went against all he believed in.

Rovan took a deep breath, opened his eyes once more and waited for Eadwine to appear in his line of vision. He was going to speak up first, however he saw the other man - as the leader of the group, as a warrior, or as a commoner - Rovan was going to speak up first.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine sighed, "If you don't mind."
He moved to the fire and stacked the wood close by.
"Do you know anything about him yet?" he asked
Something tugged at his memory but he pushed it down.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Finding out about this mans past or present trials is of a lesser concern than our current position," Mosaic snapped. She didn't mean to sound harsh, but the ghosts she left behind in Edoras were tugging on her- her Mother, her inn, her customers, her complacency. Her companions didn't seem to understand how tightly wound her was; if those from her village saw her leave, they would be searching for their group by now. Mosaic herself realized that she could be beaten for abandoning her job and emotionally fragile mother, but the others- Eadwine and Nym could be exiled for it. The taking on of a job and then swift abandonment of it was highly looked down upon. And the Elves, whom so many already harbored distaste- Iorveth and Ithilwen could be killed in a moment of insanity.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Ithilwen gave the mixture one last good stir, then stood and went back to the wounded man's side. He winced when she began unbinding his side. The bleeding had stopped, but the wound still looked nasty. The man tensed and looked very uncomfortable when she touched him to apply the poultice. "This would be easier if you were unconscious," she thought. "I wonder how long it has been since he was in the company of civilized folk? Judging by his manner and unkempt appearance, not for a very long time."

She smeared the paste over the piece of clean cloth she had laid on the open wound. The scent of herbs filled the air, and Ithilwen loosely wrapped more fabric over the poultice to hold it in place.

"Do you know anything about him yet?" Eadwine asked.

“Nought but his name, which he said is Rovan.” Ithilwen answered, right before Mosaic snapped:

"Finding out about this man's past or present trials is of a lesser concern than our current position,"

Ithilwen was only slightly surprised by the girl's sudden outburst. Mosaic had seemed anxious and fidgety ever since leaving the town. She had mentioned her mother might send searchers out for them, and Ithilwen could only assume this was the reason for her distress.

"It is wise to learn at least a little about someone who will be traveling with you; for if our position is as perilous as you believe it to be, then none of us can risk taking Rovan back to Edoras."

[Edited on 09/18/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Rovan?" Eadwine asked a frown growing on his face.
He looked with disbelif at the wounded man.
"Aye we need to learn more. We can't go back to Edoras. I'll take first watch."
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
"It is wise to learn at least a little about someone who will be traveling with you; for if our position is as perilous as you believe it be, then none of us can risk taking Rovan back to Edoras."

Edoras! Not Edoras!

Rovan looked up. He wanted to speak, but Eadwine's hard look and a definite shake of his head "no" convinced Rovan to keep his silence. He survived the painful treatment of his wound by the Elf-woman, and was so exhausted sleep claimed him again.
In the Realm of Ulmo
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
"Rovan is my name. Could I have some water, please?"

With that request Nym had risen to fetch a cup with which to hydrate the injured man. Iorveth glanced past her to see Eadwine limping back from his search for firewood nearly empty handed; the dry summer thickets were hardly worth burning and little else could be gathered this far into the plains. Both Nym and Ithilwen returned to their wounded companion's side to administer water and the healing salve, respectively. Rovan was provided a few ample sips of clean water before Iorveth gently laid his head down and allowed Ithilwen to wrap his wounds with the poultice she had blended a few moments before. Once more the scent of sweet herbs mixed with the southerly breeze sweeping down cool and chill from the Misty Mountains and across the sun-drenched Westfold.

Iorveth had resumed his position near the newly fed campfire and watched as Eadwine piled his gathered wood and inquired as to the man's name. Ithilwen was first to answer and was quickly followed by a sudden outburst from Mosaic who had remained quiet for much of the afternoon thus far. Her voiced concerns seemed logical, but Ithilwen had quickly retorted in a sensible manner.

"I cannot argue against attempting to learn more about this Rovan, but we ought to begin making preparations or plans at the very least for the journey southward. Ithilwen is right in that we cannot return to Edoras. It is out of the question. No doubt anyone associated with Mosaic will have learned of her flight with two elves along with Nym and Eadwine. We are all potential targets," Iorveth had advised as his steely hues continued to scan the vibrant green pastures that surrounded them for leagues and leagues.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym unbandaged Eadwine's leg. If possible, it looked worse than it did when she first saw it. Silently, she berated herself for not cleaning it again sooner. It looked on the verge of infection. After cleaning it thoroughly, she re-bandaged it and stood.

"That should do for now. Tell me if it starts to hurt worse. It looks like it is either in the beginning stages of infection. I don't want that to happen. I can give you some herbs to chew for the pain, if you need them. And I can take second watch." Nym turned to Ithilwen. "If there is nothing else to be done, I'm going to sleep," she said, stifling a yawn.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine watched as the group settled down for the night. He walked over to Mosaic where she was bedding down.
"I know how hard it is to leave home," he said solumnly," I had to when I was ten. Its hard but you will get used to it after time."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"It is wise to learn at least a little about someone who will be traveling with you; for if our position is as perilous as you believe it to be, then none of us can risk taking Rovan back to Edoras," Ithilwen said carefully, in the style that was befitting of both of the Elves.

"We must either continue on with haste, or turn back at once," Mosaic said at one last feeble attempt to convince her companions of their peril. "The longer we wait, the more imperiled we are, whether Orcs come to us or my kinsmen." At least Iorveth agreed with her.

Even though Eadwine offered her words of encouragement, Mosaic glared. "It is not the home that fears me," She whispered back hotly. "It is the death that is whispering our names."

Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"I have done this escaping business before. Try to get some rest we will have a long hard ride tomorrow," Eadwine replied.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic lay her head down on a rock. It was an uncomfortable pillow, and she was completely unaccustomed to anything being outdoors. But she made do just the same.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine reached into his pack and retrieved a piece of leather.Taking his knife he sat by the fire and began cutting it. Nevertheless this did not distract him from his watch.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym silently slipped away to see Naria and retrieve her extra cloak. Good thing I brought two, she thought, shivering in the chill night air. When she reached the clearing where the horses were, she greeted her horse fondly. "Hello girl," she whispered. Naria whinnied softly in response. She rubbed her horse's soft muzzle, then moved to go through her saddlebags. After a few moments' rummaging, she pulled out her second cloak, and put it on. She sighed gratefully. It wasn't too cold during the day, especially if you wore leggings and a long sleeved jerkin made from durable material, and sat near a fire. But the night was an altogether different matter.

Nym glanced around when she arrived back at the temporary campsite. All was quiet. Mosaic was shifting uncomfortably, her head resting on a stone. She is probably not used to sleeping without a bed, she thought. Nym picked up the bag that had contained the pots and pans and wadded it up, then handed it to Mosaic. "Don't even think about refusing," she said with a smile. She then turned and walked a few paces away, rolled up in her cloak, and fell fast asleep.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
"I cannot argue against attempting to learn more about this Rovan, but we ought to begin making preparations or plans at the very least for the journey southward." Iorveth said.

Ithilwen nodded. “I am in full agreement. Any quest that is not properly planned beforehand is doomed to failure.”

"We must either continue on with haste, or turn back at once. The longer we wait, the more imperiled we are, whether Orcs come to us or my kinsmen." Mosaic said.

At this, Ithilwen turned to Mosaic and dipped her head. “Your fears are not ungrounded. We are indeed in danger, and haste is of the utmost importance.” She looked at the others. “We should leave before first light and ride hard until the threat of being discovered by Mosaic's kin is diminished. After that we will only have to deal with whatever threats we meet on the road.” Which will be no less daunting.

The others were now finding their own little sleeping areas, and Ithilwen did the same. She went a little away from the rest of the group and laid down, pillowing her head on one arm. Her body was weary, but her mind was wide awake.

The moon had risen, full and beautiful in the sapphire sky. Millions of stars sparkled about it, like gems scattered on a dark garment. As Ithilwen stared up, she could almost see the constellations move across the sky. Her mind wandered back to the many times she and Iorveth sat on a balcony together in Imladris, gazing up at the same stars. The memory brought a smile to her face. Those had been such happy and carefree times.

The low whinnying of the horses and the murmur of her companion's voices began to fade. Ithilwen's eyes drifted closed, moonbeams falling across her face and the sound of Elvish music in her ears.

Sleep finally found her. In dreams she walked the valleys and hills of Middle Earth, as yet untouched by the hands of men. There was no war or strife. Only peace.
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
The company delegated under a slowly sinking summer sun casting it's crimson glow across the tumbled stones and gentle hillocks of Rohan, all framed in the softest gold. As Iorveth predicted, from his perch at the edge of their small glade flanked by poplars hardly beyond the height of a man, it was decided that their departure should be the next morning before first light; a wise decision in a country of folk who awoke with the sun. No objections arose and everyone soon made ready for the long night of crisp southerly breezes and the distant howls of wolves in the mountainous foothills.

Iorveth made no objection when Eadwine volunteered to take first watch; it had been a long journey thus far and his eyes felt the strain of many leagues. The man of Rohan had posted up beside their low burning campfire and began cutting strips of leather for some unknown purpose, or perhaps just for the soothing repetition. This coupled with the sound of chirping crickets and the sizzle of burning sap to create the nightly orchestra that Iorveth had grown quite fond of in his many long years. "Good night, Eadwine," the elf had murmured as he past his watchful companion.

The idea of sleep was appealing and but a few hours prior Iorveth would have gladly thrown himself to the sweet grasses and dozed for hours unending; however, the prospect of their eminent departure and the danger lurking but a few leagues away in that twinkling hilltop of Edoras kept him far from any slumber. Instead, the restless elf had found himself patch of particularly thick grasses a few feet from where Ithilwen had made her bed and he sprawled out, steely hues gazing upwards to the abyss dotted with blazing starlight like a perforated cloth wrapped tightly around a lamp. He silently counted the numerous constellations and ignored the company's impending dangers with the occasional stolen glance towards Ithilwen, innocent and beautiful in her undisturbed sleep and blanketed in soft moonlight. As many do on the road, Iorveth found himself lost in thought and enamored by the night sky.

His musings were deeper than the abyss he stared into and did not come to an end until the horizon was dyed mauve with the implication of the first rays of sunlight.

[Edited on 09/21/2014 by Eldarion]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine busied himself with useless carving. It was plain to see to Mosaic, and to anyone else, she assumed, that he was trying to distract himself.

Gentle Nymira walked over to her mount, took a cloak from her bag, and walked over to Mosaic. She spread it over her and warned her not to refuse.

The morning came quickly, and Iorveth was the first to awaken them.

Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine placed the leather into his pack and went to wake up Nym. Very soon he was asleep breathing deeply and evenly. He woke at dawn and found Iorveth already awake. Wordlessly he saddled the horses and prepared them for the day's journey. If he was correct they would have a long hard ride away from Edoras. Plus harboring a deserter would add to their danger. Why had Rovan come back? Why was he so close to a city that had the right to kill him on sight? These thoughts ran through his head as he approached camp.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
When Rovan opened his eyes it was new day, and he felt alive. Well, he still hurt like hell, but he was most certainly much more alive than the previous day.
The man took a deep breath, trying his lungs. They worked well. That was good to know.
He cast a careful look around without moving. He didn't want the people notice he was awake. Rovan needed time to think. What was he going to do? Or rather - what were they going to do with him?
A movement caught his eye- it was Eadwine. The man looked older and much more weathered than when he had seen him last. No doubt he had seen some difficult times...
The men's eyes met, and Rovan saw Eadwine stop, look around, and finally coming his way. The man had a limp, and Rovan had to wonder whether the wound was fresh or old.
All right. If they were to talk, he preferred it to be sooner than later.
"Eadwine," he said quitely when the man was close enough to hear him. His voice came out coarse, and he realized he was as thirsty as a sun-dried bush. "It is good to see you, old friend."
In the Realm of Ulmo
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine started when Rovan addressed him. Iorveth was wandering away from camp and the others weren't awake yet.
"You as well Rovan," he replied kneeling by his one-time friend. "What are you doing here? Especially so close to Edoras. They could have all our heads if they found you with us. Of course were not actually safe from the law but..."
He stopped his ranting, it wouldn't improve the situation any.
"Did you ever find the orc?" he asked doubtfully.
He reached into his pack and retrieved food for breakfast. The town would be waking up soon. Customers would come down and call impatiently for Mosaic. When she didn't come the search would began. They would have to eat a cold, fast breakfast then ride hard and fast avoiding the road at times.
"Let me see your wound."
Eadwine replaced the bandage tying it in the certain way he had been trained.
"This should hold during a hard ride," he said wiping his hands off
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
"I got ambushed by a group of orcs," Rovann hissed unable to contain his hatred towards the four creatures. "And... no, I didn't," he admitted sadly. "Not yet."

He tried to to show pain as Eadwine replaced the bandage. The old was soaked with blood and made Rovan realize how close the the threshold he had been.

"Tell me," he stared at the man seriously, "am I arrested? I will not run if that is the case."
In the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
When Mosaic woke, she could hear Eadwine speaking to the stranger, Rovan. She walked over to the pair of them, with her hair still loose and uncombed. "You are not arrested," she said. "None of us are. Or, at the least, not yet."
Eldarion
Council Member
Send Message
As the sunlight grew to dominate the Eastern horizon, Iorveth had made ready for their departure through a careful eradication of any campsite evidence. The fire pit was thoroughly extinguished and stamped out before he scattered the ashes and discarded the charred logs into the thick, overgrown brush that flanked the glade in which they had slumbered. The elf allowed no trace to remain except their soon vanished imprints in the lawn of the glade. All of their supplies were quickly packed and as he came to a finish the first of them began to stir. There, amidst a sea of dense grasses dotted with budding snow-white lilies all shaded in the early morning mauve, Ithilwen had roused from her slumber. Iorveth's sea-grey hues had darted in her direction and felt his heart wrench at the sight. "You were always most beautiful at dawn," he had murmured reminiscently as he past her and began readying his horse away near the edge of the clearing.

Ithilwen had risen without a word and her inconspicuous glance towards Iorveth would have spoken volumes had he saw it. No words came from her lips as she had quickly made ready for the first leg of their trip to Gondor, only the silent packing of her poultices and herbs and various materials into worn, leather satchels for slinging over her proud steed. Nothing came to acknowledge his remark; what could have been said to the man she nearly bound herself to those few centuries ago.

"Let us make ready," Iorveth had announced as he returned to their camp where Eadwine was busy swapping Rovan's saturated bandage with a fresh cloth. "Before daybreak." He fell silent and finished his preparations with only a few spare glances at Ithilwen who had begun to mount her horse; as always, she had packed light.

[Edited on 09/27/2014 by Eldarion]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
"You are not arrested," she said. "None of us are. Or, at the least, not yet."

Rovan glanced at the girl with a frown. Then he understood. They didn't know... Eadwine hadn't told them.

He better go. This was when he remembered about his horse. Damn! Feeling guilty about having been too focussed on himself, he propped himself up on his elbow to search for Anto - and noticed it was doable, compared to yesterday. He was healing, so it might seem.

Ah, there he was, his trusted mount, grazing peacefully with the other horses. With a content sigh, Rovan looked back up at Eadwine.

"Thank you. For everything. I believe it is time for us to part ways."

[Edited on 09/27/2014 by Nifredil]
In the Realm of Ulmo
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym rose early and quickly packed her belongs in her saddlebags. She was in the midst of placing her saddle on Naria's back when she heard Rovan say, "I believe it is time for us to part ways." She paused in her task and glanced quizzically at the young man. "How do you propose to do that, seeing as how you are still hurt? Injuries like the one you suffered do not heal quickly. We cannot afford to be seen in Edoras, and you are much to weak to travel there by yourself."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
You won't be going anywhere if Nym and Ithilwen have their way Eadwine thought.
"We need to ride now and fast. I can take Rovan behind me. Swift has carried two for long distances before."
<< First56789Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email