Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First678910
Author Topic:
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine turned back at the cry of an angry Wildman. The Wildman was stomping over to the barely prepared Nym. Eadwine turned Swift around quickly and galloped back. The Wildman swung recklessly at Nym's head, Nym blocked it but the small dagger could not withstand the impact. Eadwine watched in horror as the Wildman's sword sliced Nym's arm. Eadwine pushed Swift in-between the Wildman's crude broadsword and Nym. Swift side-stepped and snorted, the last time his master had done this move he had received a spear thrust to the leg. However, Eadwine had learned from his last mistake. He brought the pommel of his sword down on Wildman's head then swung his sword, slicing the Wildman's sword arm off, and then with the backstroke, sliced the Wildman's head off. He then swung Nym into his saddle, ripping a piece of his tunic off he hastily bound her arm then set her down by Mosaic. He then reeled Swift back around to face the charging Wildmen.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic brushed dirt and filth of of Nym's arm. "do not worry," She said. "We will be passed them soon."

Iorveth was fighting fiercely, although now horseless. Mosaic's heart ached. The Rohirrim held their mounts to them as if they were simply and extension of their own bodies. She did not know what she would do if she lost her horse.

There were now only a few Wildmen left. Other's began to run back the way that they came.

We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine's sword smashed into the Wildman's crude shield. The Wildmen were retreating. Between Ithilwen's fire and lethal knives and Rovan's bow the Wildmen lost hope. They ran for the gap leaving the bedraggled party behind. He turned Swift back around and wiped the mingling sweat and blood from his forehead.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Several arrows had left Rovan's bow, at least one of them a kill - as far as he saw. When the last one hit the ground not far from his horse, he knew that was it. His fingers were trembling on the string, and it cost him to keep his bow arm steady. Luckily, the Wildmen were turning their backs on the battle already. Apparently, they had not expected such a fierce resistance.

Breathing heavily, Rovan allowed himself to take his eyes off the feeling enemy and slowly slid down resting on the sturdy neck of his horse. His side throbbing like hell, there was no way he'd be able to parttake in any fight. If he was lucky, he'd remain in his saddle.

This brief respite was enough, and Rovan found it in himself to sit upright again. It was a pride of a Rider to stay in his saddle, whatever the situation. He looked around, looking for those who had been in his company. The male elf was on foot, the female elf nowhere to be seen... This made him worry - she had saved his life, after all. Had she fallen? Thankfully, both girls were safe and sound, and Eadwine was just beating down his opponent.

Good. Rovan caught Eadwine's tired eyes and raised his bow in a quiet salute congratulating the man with the victory. Then he clicked his tongue urging Anto forward.

"You two all right?" he asked Nym and Mosaic as he reached the, quickly inspecting them both for any apparent injuries.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Nymira's arm," Mosaic said quickly. "But I am fine." She did not speak of the raw emotion inside of her head, or the bruises on her shins.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Nymira was hurt? Rovan grew very serious.

"Let me see," he told the girl. He now became aware how pale she looked. He hoped the wound was superficial, but one could never be certain. With limb injuries, there was always margin for error. There were just too many blood vessels, and in one of the bigger ones was nicked.

"Let me see your arm," he repeated milder, not wanting to scare her. He considered dismounting in order to inspect the wound closer, but after making the first move the Rider understood that wasn't going to happen - unless he was signing up to being the next big star of the show by falling off his horse and landing hard with as little grace as was possible. What he needed was his wound to be re-bandaged, for it must have opened during the battle. However now he was worried about the kind girl who had come to his aid when he had needed it most.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine raised his sword wearily, returning Rovan's salute. Ithilwen jumped down from her perch on two boulders and ran over to where Nym, Mosaic, and Rovan stood. After dismounting, Eadwine joined the tired group. Rovan was inspecting Nym's arm and Mosaic was standing watchfully beside the brave wounded girl. Taking a flask from his saddle he offered it to Nym.
"Here," he said, "this will help numb the pain as well as quench battle thirst."
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nym held her arm close to herself as she watched the rest of the battle pan out. She wished there was something she could do, but she would be unable to draw her bow with her arm wounded as it was, and her dagger was still where it had fallen, just before her life had almost come to an end.

She now watched as the rest of the Wildmen fled. A few arrows were sent after them, but it was obvious they would not be in any hurry to attack the group again.

Nym was in shock. She didn't know what to think of the horror that had just taken place before her eyes. Lifeless bodies littered the ground, along with broken bits of weapons. She shut her eyes against the horrific images in front of her. She heard someone approaching on horseback, and looked up to see Rovan looking down on them. "You two all right?" he asked. Nym heard Mosaic tell him about her arm wound. Now he was asking to see it. At first, she help her arm to herself, unwilling to move it for fear it would worsen the pain. Then she realized, it was pointless for her to resist as she would have to have it examined sooner or later. Better to go ahead and get it over with now, she thought miserably. She help out her arm for Rovan to inspect, wincing in pain as she did so. The makeshift bandage that was wound around her arm was stained with blood.

Now Eadwine came up and offered her a flask. "This will help numb the pain, as well as quench battle thirst." he said. Nym gratefully accepted the flask and drank deeply from it. Soon, the searing pain she felt in her arm become a dull ache.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"She will not be able to stand on her own," Mosaic said after Nym took a deep drink from the flask. "And I do not know how long we can support her. Our horses became frightened during battle."
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
As Ithilwen had anticipated, the Wildmen began to flee back down the passage toward her. But they didn't expect to meet an elf charging straight toward them, bow drawn. Their shock was evident in their looks of horror, as one by one, they were either shot down by Ithilwen's bow or trampled by her horse.

Just after rounding the bend, she leapt from her mount to a boulder for a better vantage point. The bodies of Wildmen cluttered the ground, most killed by the blades or bows of her friends. Some of the bodies were broken from jumping off of the high ravine walls to escape the blazing inferno. Ithilwen loosed several more arrows at the remaining Wildmen before dropping her bow to her side. A few began retreating down the pass ahead, but she let them go. No sense in potentially wasting arrows if she missed.

Now that the immediate threat was gone, all of the battle fury drained from Ithilwen, and she rested her head in her hand. Killing gave her no pleasure, but it was either those men or her new found friends. "Melloneamin!" Her head snapped up and she looked around. Nym was sitting on the ground, obviously in great pain. Rovan was on his own horse again, and mixed with the look of concern for the wounded girl Ithilwen noted a look of pain as well. Eadwine had also sustained some fairly significant injuries.

Ithilwen slid off the rock and hurried to tend to her wounded comrades. Several times she had to step over dead bodies. "Let us go around the next bend...this is no place to care for our wounded," she addressed Iorveth and Mosaic. Ithilwen gently picked Nym up, careful not to jar her arm.

~*~*~*~

A few moments later the bedraggled group left the carnage behind. Around the bend lay a jumble of rocks just off the path with a clear area behind. Ithilwen set Nym against a smooth rock and removed the makeshift bandage that had been hastily wrapped around the injured arm. The girl gasped in pain and bit her lip to keep from crying out. "You are a brave girl, Nymira. I need you to keep up that bravery for just a bit longer." Nym nodded, though her face was white and strained.

"Mosaic, would you please build a fire and boil some water? If we are going to be discovered it will happen whether or not we make another fire. That blaze I started was plenty to give us away." A faint smile passed over her face, but it didn't stay for long. "And drop these herbs in the water after it comes to a boil," she added, handing Mosaic the said plants.

Ithilwen's hands were bloody and bruised from her assent up the rock. She washed them while waiting for the water to boil, then turned to Iorveth. "Would you see to Rovan and Eadwine? And perhaps Mosaic would be willing to assist you with their lighter wounds?" Ithilwen turned to the girl, a question in her eyes.

The water came to a boil then, so she took a flask and filled it with the aromatic liquid. Turned back to Nym she said,"This will make you fall into a deep sleep, and you will feel no pain for several hours." Ithilwen held the flask steady while Nym drank, and soon the water began to take affect. Nym's eyes closed and her breathing became easier.

When Ithilwen was sure the girl was unconscious, she bent close to inspect the damage. Her worst fears were confirmed in a glance. Several large veins had been cut, and blood gushed forth freely. Panic began to rise like a swelling tide within her, but she willed herself to suppress it. If for no other reason, she needed to be calm for the sake of her companions.

Singing always calmed her mind. Perhaps it would do the same for her friends.
Gently, a song began flowing from Ithilwen's lips as she set about the difficult task of either saving a life or losing it.

"A Bereth thar Ennui Aeair!
Calad ammen i reniar
Mi 'aladhremmin ennorath.
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
i chin a thûl lín míriel…"

[Edited on 11/18/2014 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Let us go around the next bend...this is no place to care for our wounded," Ithilwen told Mosaic as she reached over and draped Nymira limply over her arm.

Mosaic glanced at Iorveth as Ithilwen rose to her feet, shook slightly, then twisted her face into a mask of determination. She walked deftly into the brush that lay before them. Mosaic followed, leading her horse. As she did, she caught Iorveth's eyes and saw the sorrow there.

"Do not worry," she said, assuming that his plight was for his fallen mount. "If there is one thing that it plentiful in this country, it is horses. We will find you a steed that reflects your own soul in his."

The brush crunched under her boots as they plowed forward. By the time Mosaic reached the Elf, Ithilwen has set Nym up against a rocky outcropping and was speaking soothing words to her. No sooner than she arrived, Ithilwen turned to Mosaic and said, "Mosaic, would you please build a fire and boil some water? If we are going to be discovered it will happen whether or not we make another fire. That blaze I started was plenty to give us away.And drop these herbs in the water after it comes to a boil," she added, handing Mosaic the plants. They were dry and still covered with earth.

"Yes," Mosaic replied, turning to dig inside of her saddle bag. It's contents had been jumbled when it had fallen during their plight. The plants turned an evergreen color as they boiled, and Ithilwen suggested that she look at Iorveth's wounds.

Mosaic handed Ithilwen the plants and turned to Iorveth questioningly. As Ithilwen began to chant, softly, Mosaic said to Rovan, "Are your injured? I can tend to you when I take care of Iorveth."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Eadwine grabbed the remaining horse's reins and followed Ithilwen and Nym. The rocky walls of the ambush soon disappeared as they rounded a narrow bend, that was dotted with scraggly trees and thorny bushes. With Ithilwen's gently encouragements Mosaic started a small fire and boiled some strong smelling herbs. He glanced nervously at Nym, whose face was pale from loss of blood, she had just fallen asleep her bloody arm cradled in Ithilwen's own arm. After helping Rovan down from his Anto he removed the tired horse's saddles and clothes, and brushed them carefully. The bleeding from his cut had stopped and dried but his headache had returned with vengeance. Ithilwen's soft singing seemed to throw away all darkness and welcome hope and light. In the distance the wild fire crackled and smoked sending a red shoot up into the air once in a while. Eadwine approached Ithilwen and knelt close by.
"How is she?" he queried, "is the wound bad? I only got to look at it for a second."
======================
Down in Firien Wood, a day's ride away from where the battle weary company had collapsed, a young woman inspected a leafy plant in the last rays of light. She sighed and placed the plant into her bag before running up to her "Watching Rock," a smooth stone at the base of the mountains. She gazed at the stars as they twinkled and sent unknown messages to one another. The moon, smiled down upon the earth, bathing the rocks and trees in an unearthly light. But the stench of smoke on the wind distracted her from the beauty of the heavens. Far away she could just see bright flames of orange, red, and yellow as they marred the peaceful night.
"What have those Wildmen done now?" she asked rhetorically.
A little bit later she returned to a homely cabin situated in a small clearing. An old woman started to gently chide her as soon as she stepped into the warm home.
"Cwen you will catch your death of cold if you continue to stay out late."
"It is not winter yet aunt and I wish to watch the stars as long as I can." the young woman replied.
The old woman shook her head, "the winter is near though, the winds are coming down from the mountains."
"Well then let us enjoy the last days of summer while we can, aunt."
Cwen took the plant from her bag and tore the leaves from it's stem and laid them out to dry by the fire. Night fell quickly and soon the little fire turned to burning embers.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Night fell as Mosaic continued to tend to the lighter wounds their company had sustained. Eadwine showed concern for Nym, inquiring about the girls' well being constantly. Soon, all concern faded for the other company members as Nym's wound decreased in condition.

Mosaic kept the fire going, and used one of their pans- now dented- to begin to cook some of the edible herbs they had collected. Cooking was Nym's job, and Mosaic's heart sank. Would her friend rise to cook once more?

Halfheartedly, she carried the pan over to Rovan. The man was silent since they arrived in the clearing. Mosaic offered him the greens. "I fear they may not be properly prepared, but they will be fine and filling until someone else can help."
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Nymira watched, eyes half-closed in pain, as Mosaic prepared the tea-like substance. After the mixture of herbs and water had boiled for a little while, Ithilwen poured the contents of the pan in a flask, then turned back to her patient. "This will make you fall into a deep sleep, and you will feel no pain for several hours." the Elf told her. Nym nodded, allowing Ithilwen to pour the warm liquid in her mouth. She leaned back against the rock, and in a few moments, she was asleep.

As she slept, she could hear a clear voice singing. It seemed to come from far and near at the same time. She could not understand the language, but the song brought peace and healing to her soul.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
There had been no dignity in being helped down from his own horse, but Rovan just had to live through it. He understood quite well he needed the help, but it wasn't making it any easier.

He was doing his best to keep out of the way, now that Nymira was the primary concern with her injury and blood loss, so he was mildly surprised when Mosaic approached him offering her help. He gladly accepted it, though, asking her to change his bandages. As he suspected, his wound had opened again, and blood had been seeping through. Rovan asked her to pull the bandages tighter than before, and nodded his serious thanks to the girl when she finished. It was only then that he noticed her flaming cheeks - and froze. Had he done something wrong?

Mosaic excused herself and was gone, leaving Rovan to his own thoughts. He regretted now asking the girl to change his bandages. Perhaps he had offended her in some way.

Soon she was back again, with a panful of something-something he accepted with gratitude anyway. The girl wasn't meeting his eyes, so he took it as a sign not to question the earlier.

"How is she?" he asked Mosaic, nodding in the direction the poor pale girl lay in the gentle arms of the female elf.

[Edited on 11/30/2014 by Nifredil]
In the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic took a deep breath, and tightened the bandages on Rovan's stomach. She knew that her face would be flushed upon standing, and thought to keep her face down, but that would mean that she would be looking directly at Rovan. Instead, she worked quickly to seal the ugly wounds, and then made sure that he are heartily. It wasn't the best that she had made, since she felt restricted without the uses of the tools her kitchen at the inn offered, but it was obviously palatable as Rovan ate it down, asking, "How is she?" of Nymira as he finished.

"Nymira?" Mosaic asked. There was a tremor in her voice, and she felt her ears growing warm. "I know not. But healing goes easier at that hands of the fair folk, so I am assured that Ithilwen will have her set to rights in no time at all." She absently bit at a broken fingernail. "You should rest," she said. "The morn will bring further travel upon us."

She went back to Ithilwen, who was so hard at work that she barely noticed the girl approach.

[Edited on 12/02/2014 by findemaxam48]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Ithilwen seemed to be in another world so Eadwine backed away and accepted a bowl of Mosaic's broth. After eating he paced around the camp, peering into the darkness and listening to the night noises. Presently he removed the leather he was working on the night before and started smoothing it with his knife. It would be finished soon. Restlessly he laid it aside and approached Mosaic.
"How are you," he asked, "I mean this is your second day away from home, it took me weeks to adjust to being alone the first time."
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
It was taking too long. The light was fading too fast.

Ithilwen worked desperately, trying to stop the bleeding. Her song was more urgent now. She had to save the girl. She had to! But no matter what she did, it wasn't enough. The girl would die, and there was nothing Ithilwen could do to stop it. Still, she worked on feverishly, not willing to admit defeat until the last breath slipped from between those graying lips.

The elf's voice faltered when the girl, face pale, looked up at her and smiled. "It looks like I will be home sooner than I thought,” she whispered hoarsely through cracked lips. “Please tell Mama and Papa that I love them...and will see them soon."

Then her bright eyes glazed over, and she was gone.

A sob broke from Ithilwen's throat as she held the limp form of the girl who had so quickly become her friend. "No," she moaned softly. Tears streamed down her anguished face, wrung right from her broken heart. "No."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ithilwen started at the sound of someone coming up behind her. A wave of nausea swept over her as she came back to reality. The memory had been so vivid and unexpected. She noted, with some surprise, that her cheeks were wet with tears.

She looked down at the girl before her. Nym was sleeping peacefully, her arm expertly bound up. Then Ithilwen's eyes again overflowed.

But this time with joy.

"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
As Mosaic walked to Ithilwen, Eadwine intercepted her. "How are you?" he asked. "I mean, this is your second day away from home, and it took me weeks to adjust to being alone the first time."

"I am doing well," Mosaic answered, though in her heart she still longed for her room and even her workplace. Mother would either be frantic or completely carefree about her absence. So many times, so urged Mosaic to leave home and find her own place to live, but now that she was actually gone, and without warning, at that, Mosaic didn't know how she would react. Eadwine said nothing more, so she said, "Excuse me," and slipped by him.

Ithilwen seemed to start when Mosaic approached her, and the maid noticed that her cheeks were wet with tears. "Ithilwen?" she asked, nervous. Had something happened to Nym while the rest of the camp ate and rested? She knelt down by the healer. "What is wrong? Has something happened to Nymira?"

Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
"What is wrong? Has something happened to Nymira?" Mosaic asked.

Ithilwen looked up at the girl and smiled through her tears. "For a moment I thought I had lost her. Now I am crying because I know she will live. This whole scenario brought back some very painful memories to me. Even the best healers have those. We cannot always save our patients. Or our friends...." she broke off, unable to continue. It was uncharacteristic for her to lose her composure this way. She needed a chance to be alone.

She rose and checked on the other members of her party. Their wounds had been tended to just as she would have done. Ithilwen turned to the orange haired girl. "Mosaic, thank you so much for your help. You have done an excellent job." She paused. "There is one more favour I must ask of you. Would you mind keeping watch over Nymira for awhile? I would like to scout ahead."

Mosaic looked hesitant, so Ithilwen hurried to reassure her. "The drug I gave to Nym should not wear off for some time yet. When it does, just see that she is comfortable. I would not leave if I was not sure you could take of care of her." Mosaic nodded and went to take up her post at Nym's side. "It is good for them to have each other," Ithilwen thought, then went to see to her horse.

Asyleth stood near a scraggly tree by the side of the path, cropping the few short pieces of grass that grew there. She looked up and neighed softly when Ithilwen came up beside her. "Agoreg vae, Asyleth." She removed the saddle and gave the horse a good rubbing down. "Take your rest now."

With one final pat on Asyleth's nose, Ithilwen grabbed her bow and quiver. Pulling the cowl of her cloak up over her head, she set off down the path the group had been taking.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Gradually the rock on either side was replaced by trees. Massive firs loomed up into the night sky, almost seeming to touch the stars. Night birds called to one another, and somewhere an animal was digging in the dead fir needles on the ground. Small creatures watched the elf with curiosity as she made her way through the wood.

After walking for some time, she came to a low rise by the side of the path. She climbed it and sat down. A sense of peace lay about the forest. Ithilwen sensed it, and felt it in her own heart too. Her hand reached into a deep pocket in her gown and drew out a delicate flute. It had been given to her by her mother, many years before.

She lifted the flute to her lips and began to play. The tune was beautiful, but melancholy. The song spoke of love and loss, and echoed in the heart of every living creature who heard it.

The breeze caught the tune and carried it far away.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
This is a joint post between myself and Nif.

Rovan was quite unable to close his eyes, with his wound throbbing the way it did, so he offered to take the first watch - and the others seemed quite happy to be allowed to rest and mend their wounds and set their worried minds at ease during sleep.

So he was left alone, sitting by the fire, with the others gradually disappearing in the dream world of their own. He kept the fire going, feeding it one small stick at the time, in order to keep it as small as possible, and got lost in his own thoughts.

The last battle - it could have gone so terribly wrong, if the Wildlings hadn’t turned and run. All of them would have been dead if those had been orcs instead. He gritted his teeth at the very thought. Those hated orcs…

Nym opened her eyes and looked up at the night sky. It took her a moment to get her bearings after being asleep for so long. She tried to sit up, but found she was too weak to do so. She lay quietly instead, alone with her thoughts.

She had come so close to death. If Eadwine had not seen her in trouble and come to her aid, she would be lying, still and lifeless in the pass they had left behind. She shuddered inwardly at the thought. But Eadwine hadn’t been too late, and she was safe.

Nym couldn’t help feeling a bit of grim satisfaction knowing that Eadwine had cut down the Wildman that nearly ended her life. However, this small sense of satisfaction quickly faded as she thought about the loss of life. She had never taken the life of another human being before today. She shut her eyes as the horrors of the battle washed over her once more. So much death. So much blood. Her head swam….

She forced her eyes open, and tried to focus on something, anything but the battle. She turned her head and spotted Rovan, sitting alone by the fire. She decided to think about him to take her mind off the battle.

They knew almost nothing about the man who was sitting before the fire, absently stirring the coals. She could hardly believe that it had only been two days since she had found him, half dead, dragging from his horse. She wondered what he had been doing in order to be wounded by an orc. She wondered what his life had been like, and who he really was.

She only realized that she had been staring when she found herself looking into his dark grey eyes. She glanced away quickly, pretending to be absorbed in the glowing embers at Rovan’s feet, rather than contemplating the secrets of his past.

Rovan’s track of thoughts was interrupted when he noticed Nymira staring at him. For a moment, he was captivated by her stare, and only snapped out of it when she looked away.

“You’re awake. That’s good,” he said. “Do you need anything? Water perhaps?”
Nym started slightly at the unexpected sound of Rovan’s voice. Now that he mentioned water, she realized that she was terribly thirsty. “Some water would be nice,” she managed to say.

Rovan reached for a flask of water. Getting up turned out to be a greater challenge than he had thought, his wound throbbing like hell. With a grunt, he got on his feet and came over to the other side of the fire where Nymira lay. He realized that bending over to hand her the flask was a no-go, so he sat down on the ground next to her instead. Rovan handed the girl her water, and remained sitting where he was. The option of getting up again to go back to where he had been, was not inspiring, to say the least, so he figured he could just as well stay where he was.

“Are you feeling better?” he asked when she closed the flask.

Nym leaned back against a rock. The effort of sitting to drink the water had taken a lot of her energy. “Somewhat.” she replied. She sighed. “My arm feels somewhat better, anyway.” Visions of the battle sprang to her mind once more, and she gave an involuntary shudder. “Are you alright? I hope you weren’t wounded further.” she said, her voice filled with concern.

“I was not,” Rovan shook his head. “It is just the injury on my side. It came open during the fighting, that’s all,” he put an effort into sounding as casual as possible about that. The girl did not need to worry about anything apart from her own healing process.

Rovan looked at her closer. The dim and flickering light the fire was casting did a very bad job illuminating Nymira, but here, right next to her, even in light as bad as this one he thought he saw a healthier color returning to her face.

“Was this you first combat? Your first injury?” he asked.

Nym was relieved that Rovan had not suffered further injury. She was a caring soul, and she hated to see people suffer.

“Yes, it was my first combat. And my first major injury. I’ve been hurt before in minor accidents, but never this severely.” She did not speak for several moments. Then she said, “I’ve never had to kill a human before.” She looked up at Rovan’s face, lined with years of anger. A single tear trickled down her cheek, and she looked down. “I hope I never have to do so again.” The silence stretched, so she felt obliged to break it once more. “Why?” she asked softly, the tears flowing down her face, now unheeded. “Why must we kill? Why can we not live at peace with our fellow men?” She pulled her knees up to her chest with her good arm and laid her head on them, sobbing quietly.

She cried for the death and destruction she had witnessed earlier that day. She cried for the wound her father had received that had robbed him of his mobility. She cried for all the widows and orphans who would never see their loved ones again. She cried until she had no tears left. Then she simply sat, shaking uncontrollably, hugging herself with her unhurt left arm.

If Rovan could have jumped up and left running - making up any excuse that would jump into his mind - he would have, without a second thought. He considered saying he had to look for more wood, or check something on the other side…

However, the pain in his side was making him so clumsy that this kind of escape would be too embarrassing.

The girl’s sobs were loud in the quiet night, and Rovan shifted uncomfortably. What in Middle-earth was he supposed to do about this?! Should he comfort her in some way, or… Was he expecting him to…

Cursing under his breath, Rovan made a move to put his hand on her shoulder, but changed his mind at the last moment and let his arm drop. He cleared his throat.

This had been her first battle, her first injury, her first kill, he thought. That must have been quite a lot to process. No wonder she was so… so…

This had him thinking back to the time he had looked down on his first kill.

“The battle was still raging on. Men were yelling, roaring, screaming and moaning all around me - and all I could do was stand still as a tree and stare down on the lifeless body of the man I had just…” Rovan heard himself talking before he realized his mouth was moving. “In the back of my mind, I knew I had to snap out of it, or somebody would take a swing with his blade - and I would join my dead opponent. But for all the common sense in the world, I could not will myself to move…” his voice died to a whisper, as he got lost in his memory.

Nym tried to will herself to stop her shaking, but to no avail.

She lifted her head as she heard Rovan speak. At first, her brain still muddled by thoughts of her own battle, she didn’t understand what he was saying. Then she realized that he must be talking about the first time he killed a man. There was a haunted look on his face as the memory came back. When he stopped speaking, there was silence between them. Once Nym felt she could speak again, she said, her voice barely audible in her own ears, “I am sorry.” She didn’t know what else to say. She was experiencing the traumatising aftereffects of war for the first time. She didn’t know where to turn for comfort, let alone how to comfort another.

“For what?” he looked at her. “Life’s just the way it is. All one can do is learn to deal with it. Either they do, or… it kills them.”

The expression on Nymira’s face became so haunted Rovan wanted to slap himself. This most definitely wasn’t what one who was just through their first battle needed to hear.

“You’re going to be all right,” he said quietly, “you’re strong enough. Don’t doubt yourself.”

Nym looked into Rovan’s eyes and saw the sincerity there. Even if he pretended that his past did not hurt him, she knew it still had to. The mental wounds never healed completely; they simply turn into a scar, and you learn to live with the scar. Just like her father had. She straightened. “Thank you,” she said simply.

Iorveth rose from where he had been sleeping, startling the pair. The elf offered to relieve Rovan from the watch, and the young man accepted, suddenly feeling very tired. He rose with some effort and walked to his bedroll, bidding Nym and the elf good-night. The girl replied in kind, then lay down. She closed her eyes, but sleep was long in coming.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"For a moment I thought I had lost her. Now I am crying because I know she will live. This whole scenario brought back some very painful memories to me. Even the best healers have those. We cannot always save our patients. Or our friends...."

Mosaic stared at the gentle healer who had become her friend. She had so many stories, and Mosaic wanted to hear each one of them. There was heartbreak in her voice, but she looked strong. She rose, and said, "Mosaic, thank you so much for your help. You have done an excellent job." She paused. "There is one more favour I must ask of you. Would you mind keeping watch over Nymira for awhile? I would like to scout ahead."

"I know nothing about healing," Mosaic argued. "If you leave me here with her, I will not know what to do if she awakens. and then how will I find you if that happens?"

"The drug I gave to Nym should not wear off for some time yet. When it does, just see that she is comfortable. I would not leave if I was not sure you could take of care of her," Ithilwen said.

Mosaic sighed, and nodded her assent. The healer slipped into the trees.

Rovan still kept watch over their camp and the fire. She went over to him and sat beside him, content in knowing that she could watch Nym from a distance. After some time, Nym awoke and began to cry. Mosaic knew not what to do, but Rovan went to her and spoke words of comfort.

Iorveth rose, and looked to Mosaic in the dying light. He relieved Rovan of his watch, and the man fell asleep easily. So did Nymira, once more. Mosaic pulled on Eadwine's cloak- she pulled it from him as he slept- and went to Iorveth. "I am going to look for Ithilwen," she said. "She went into the forest. If we do not return by dawn, come after us."

Brambles tore at her- Eadwine's- cloak as she stepped over branches and twigs. As she did, a beautiful song rose from the trees. She found Ithilwen sitting in a small clearing, playing a flute. As she ended the song, Mosaic said, "That was beautiful. Where did you learn to play?"

Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Joint post with Song

The moon was low on the horizon when the last notes floated away. Ithilwen had not slept, but still she felt refreshed.
“That was beautiful. Where did you learn to play?” She looked up to find Mosaic standing under a tree a little ways off.

“Someone back home taught me. Someone dear to me.” Ithilwen said, slipping the flute back into its place before standing.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Cwen woke up at dawn and dressed hastily. The morning air smelled of smoke and the chill of winter and she nodded a quick hello to her uncle and his farmhand. Rushing deeper into the wood she searched the ground for a star-shaped flower that, when dried, would calm one’s nerves. Suddenly, the wind blew voices her way. Cwen froze and hastily reached for her sling. Placing a smooth river rock in it she moved ahead to investigate. Thoughts ran through her head. What if they are Wildmen scouts? They were sighted not far off, and that fire last night may have been a signal. She had to warn her uncle. Oh, But the voices were between her and the farm. Distract them! Yes, and then run for the farm. Cwen raised her sling and whirled it twice before letting the stone fly to the left.

~*~*~*~*~*~

“And how is Nym do-” Ithilwen cut herself off, listening. Her eyes searched the shadows under the trees, her hand already reaching for the cold hilt of her long knife. A whirring sound reached her ears. Her gaze sharpened, and everything slowed down. A stone flew from the trees a short distance away, heading straight for Mosaic.“Get down!” she cried. The girl threw herself flat, a split second before the stone struck the tree behind her with a loud Crack!
Ithilwen was across the clearing in an instant, her hunting knife gleaming in the light of the rising sun. She ducked through the branches just in time to see the retreating figure of the one who had launched the stone. Mosaic arrived a moment later, and the two took off in pursuit.

~*~*~*~*~*~
Cwen ran through the brush keeping low in case any were archers. But a voice surprised her.
“Stop!”

It was a woman’s voice! Cwen stood up, still swinging her sling in her left hand.
“Who are you and what do you want?” she called.

Ithilwen sheathed her knife. “I am Ithilwen of Imladris, and this is Mosaic. I mean you no harm. I thought you might be one of the Wildmen my companions and I had the displeasure of meeting earlier.”

“Strange,” Cwen replied. “I saw their fires last night and thought it was signals for an attack. I thought you were a scout.”
She placed the stone back in its pouch.

“The fire you saw was of my doing. The Wildmen attacked from the thickets above the pass, and the only way I could see to protect my friends from their arrows was to burn them out.”
Ithilwen looked past the girl to the sky, where smoke curled upwards. It must be from the home of this girl. My companions need a place to recover…
“Several of my friends sustained serious injuries in the fight. They need warmth and shelter to make a full recovery.”

“My Uncle and Aunt will welcome you and your companions. Are you their leader?”

“I am not. We are but friends trying to reach Gondor with all speed.”
“Follow me then.” Cwen called, “My Uncle’s farm is not far off.”
She led the Elf and red haired girl to the farm, only stopping for a moment to cut a few of her desired flowers. “You say that some of you are wounded?”

“Yes. I have done what I can with the limited supplies available to me.” Ithilwen glanced at the flowers in the girl’s hand. “Do you have an interest in the healing arts?”

“I wish I knew more about healing,” Cwen sighed, “But I am a maker of teas. I have many herbs. You are free to use them if you find any to your use.” Sudden hope rose from her heart. “Have you come from Edoras? Have the Riders of Rohan been released of their oaths?”

Mosaic spoke up. “Yes, we departed Edoras only a few days ago. As for the oaths, I can only assume the Riders have been released. One of our companions used to be a Rider.”

“Did you meet anyone in Edoras named Wilfred? He was my father, his horse is a roan color. Or perhaps one of my brothers, Durith or Eadwine? Both own bay horses.”
They entered the farmyard. A small flock of chickens scattered cackling as the three walked to the barn.

“We did meet one of your brothers. Eadwine is with our group in the mountain pass,” Ithilwen replied.

“Then I am going with you!” Cwen replied joyously.

A moment later the small group reached the barn. Cwen went inside and informed Melannen, her uncle’s farmhand, of the situation. He hitched a horse to a small cart and drove it out into the dusty track in front of the barn.

~*~*~*~*~*~
Iorveth woke Eadwine in the sleepy hours before dawn.
"Ithilwen and Mosaic went for a walk," the elf man whispered, "we are to look for them if they do not return by dawn."
Eadwine nodded drowsily and rose, the cold wind, predicting a cold, hard winter, jolted him awake. The first thing he noticed was that his cloak was missing. He searched around his bedroll for a while but gave up and took up his post near the fire, eyes piercing the darkness and ears straining for any unusual sounds. The rest of the night passed slowly, only the light footsteps of deer and other night animals disturbed the peaceful hours. Eadwine crossed his arms and stamped his feet to keep the cold from creeping into his bones and watched the eastern sky come awake. A sliver of silver light seemed to leak from the mountains splashing the sky with it's pale, but beautiful light. Reluctantly, the silver faded to gray, and the gray to a deepening blue. Then the sun rose, and bathed the mountains in colors of red, pink, and blue. The clouds was dipped in pink and brightly arrayed the blue sky. But, too soon, it started to fade and the blinding sun continued its daily job of brightening the cold world. Eadwine watched silently as this unfolded then turned awaiting Ithilwen and Mosaic's return. The company began to awake, Iorveth checking on the wounded, except for Eadwine.
"I'm fine," he protested, "its only a scratch and left only a headache."
The elf shook his head and moved on to check Rovan. Eadwine kept a eye on the path that Iorveth had said that the two girls had taken. Eadwine stirred the fire again and knelt by Iorveth as he warmed his hands.
"They haven't returned," he whispered, "I don't like it. Would you stay here and keep and eye on the rest of the group while I go look?"
"I will stay," came the simple reply.
Eadwine nodded his thanks and drawing his sword headed down the path. He was soon glad to hear voices coming up the trail.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
“Someone back home taught me. Someone dear to me.” Ithilwen said, slipping the flute back into its place before standing.

"My brother played an instrument," Mosaic said. "A long, hollow thing, with linen strings. He even took it with him when the army came. I wonder what has become of it."

“And how is Nym do-”Ithilwen started to say, but then something gleaming broke out of the tree line. Mosaic saw it and moved to react a second later, flattening herself to the ground. A puff of wood dust took to air where the knife came in contact with the tree. Mosaic quickly got to her feet and ran after Ithilwen, who was already vanishing into the wooded green.

"Be careful!" Mosaic yelled after her friend. She caught up to Ithilwen as she was speaking to a girl.

“I am Ithilwen of Imladris, and this is Mosaic. I mean you no harm. I thought you might be one of the Wildmen my companions and I had the displeasure of meeting earlier," Ithilwen said. The girl replaced a stone into a pouch.

“I saw their fires last night and thought it was signals for an attack. I thought you were a scout," she said.

After hesitating a moment, Ithilwen said, “Several of my friends sustained serious injuries in the fight. They need warmth and shelter to make a full recovery.”

“My Uncle and Aunt will welcome you and your companions. Are you their leader?”

"No," Mosaic said. "That is me."

They followed the girl back the way she had come, although she paused periodically to collect blossoms that Mosaic recognized as certain herbs they used in the kitchen at home.

Ithilwen and the girl chatted about healing, and the girl inquired about the Rohirrim. Mosaic spoke up. “Yes, we departed Edoras only a few days ago. As for the oaths, I can only assume the Riders have been released. One of our companions used to be a Rider.”

Tyhe girl revealed further information, including mentioning Eadwine. "He is with us," Mosaic said, in vain supplement to Ithilwen's explanation.

“Then I am going with you!” Cwen replied joyously.

A moment later the small group reached the barn. Cwen went inside and informed Melannen, her uncle’s farmhand, of the situation. He hitched a horse to a small cart and drove it out into the dusty track in front of the barn.

Mosaic wanted to groan. They could barely care for themselves on the journey, let alone another person. The sister of Eadwine, no less. She was not sure of the benefits Cwen had to offer them, but now, she would not deny her dear companions the repast of food and rest. She would speak to Eadwine and Ithilwen later if further concerns rose to her mind of Cwen's loyalty of contribution.

Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
Song helped me with this.

Melannen sat on the wagon seat, getting bounced around at every bump in the rough trail through the woods that the Elf woman and red haired girl were leading him down. "How much farther is it to this campsite of yours?" he asked. “Around the next bend and up into the mountain.” Ithilwen replied.

Soon they reached the camp, and Melannen jumped off the wagon, stretched, and looked to see where he was needed. He saw an Elf bending over a figure lying on the ground, and another person lying on the ground close by. Melannen began by walking toward the Elves, and finally got a good look at the figure lying on the ground. It was a girl with brown hair, and she looked pale, with a bandage on one arm. The Elves turned toward him, and he asked "Do you need me to carry her to the wagon?". "No, I think I can walk." the girl said, making a great effort to stand up. "Here," Melannen said, taking a step toward her. "Let me help you." She smiled up at him as he helped her to her feet. "Thank you." she said, as he walked with her to the wagon and helped her up. "No trouble," he said, smiling at her as she sat down in the wagon.

"Does anyone else need to ride in the wagon?" he asked the others. “Roven should, even if he protests,” Ithilwen answered with a slight smile. When the wounded were settled into the cart, Melannen asked, "Are we ready to leave now?" Iorveth looked around. "Just a moment, and we can depart." He put out the fire, picked up a few blankets, rolled them up, and mounted his horse. "I believe we are ready now." "Very well." Melannen said, climbing back up on the wagon seat. He whistled, twitched the reins, and they were on their way.

----
They reached the farmhouse about an hour later, and Cwen's aunt and uncle came out to help get the travelers inside. Melannen drove the horse and cart back to the barn and unhitched them. Then he looked at the sun. Time for the rest of my chores.
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Just as he was sheathing his sword he was surprised by a voice.
"Eadwine!"
Cwen wrapped him in a warm embrace and awkwardly he returned it.
"Where have you been? Where is father and Durith? Wha...."
"Later sister," Eadwine replied to her barrage of questions, "I need to help my company."
Silenced, Cwen waited for the wagon with its wounded to return. Eadwine crossed the short distance back to camp, Nym was already loaded and Rovan was protesting to riding in the wagon. Eadwine helped get the stubborn man into the cart and then the company set off for the farm.
~~~~~~~
Cwen rumaged through her pots of herbs showing them to the Elf till she found what she needed. The girl peeked into one of the pots filled with red berries but withdrew quickly and pulled it away.
"You don't want this one. We use it when we need to kill an old dying animal quickly." she explained.
Her aunt was preparing food for the exhausted travelers and Cwen left the elf to search the various assortment of dried plants.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Ithilwen followed Cwen into the house, where the girl showed her the wide variety of plants she kept on hand. Cwen looked into a jar and quickly put it back on the shelf. "You don't want this one. We use it when we need to kill an old dying animal quickly." Ithilwen nodded her agreement. "That looks like Yew berries. The seeds are extremely poisonous."

The girl left a few moments later, leaving Ithilwen looking through the many pots and bags of herbs. Most of them were labeled with the common name of the plant inside, so she was glad her books on herbs had listed the those along with the Elvish. A small box on the top shelf caught her eye, and she pulled it down. It was filled with yellow-orange Calendula petals. Ithilwen set the box to one side and reached for a jar. This one contained dried Plantain, good for healing wounds. Still another container held Chamomile flowers.

These and several other ingredients went into salves and a soothing tea. Ithilwen set all of these on a tray and carried it to the room the wounded had been taken to. The fire was blazing, making the room very comfortable. Nym sat in a chair and Rovan was stretched out on a cot. Both were wrapped in blankets provided by the kind owners of this farm. Ithilwen examined Nym's arm and Rovan's side, then bathed the wounds with herb infused water and applied a healing salve. She bound the injuries and helped Rovan sip the calming tea while Nym did her best at the same task with her good arm.

The elf gathered the supplies up and put them away, then went to the kitchen. The farmer's wife was busy preparing a large meal for her extra guests.
"I would like to thank you for your kindness to us," Ithilwen said. "I do not know how my companions would have fared without the warmth and shelter we found here."

The lady waved away the thanks. "It has been some time since we last enjoyed the company of such pleasant folk as yourselves. I am glad we can be of help to you."

Ithilwen returned the motherly woman's smile and went outside. Where had her other friends gone?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mosaic looked around the side of Cwen's house. She had not been invited inside, and didn't want to intrude upon whatever Ithilwen was doing inside. Nym was still recovering from the bumpy wagon ride, and Mosaic had gotten her some water from the creek. Rovan stood, with her, to stretch his legs.

A chicken darted across their path, clucking. Mosaic's eyes widened. She had never seen a live chicken before. The only ones she had come across were the ones that she had cooked herself.

One of Cwen's companions came outside and helped Nym and Rovan in. Mosaic tentatively followed and found herself in the kitchen, where Cwen- and Eadwine's- aunt was cooking. "May I help you?" She asked shyly. "I was a cook at the inn my Mother owned."
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Rovan was not at all happy to be treated line an invalid. However, after walking around a little and attempting to do some basic exersises, he had to admit he was not yet fit to ride. If he were honest to himself, riding in a wagon was preferable to the humiliation of being pushed up on top of his horse just because the injury in his side prevented him to mount it on his own.

Besides, someone had to make sure Nym was comfortble and well, right?

Right?

So Rovan surrendered to common sense and allowed himself to be loaded in the wagon, and un-loaded when they arrived at the farm. But when they lay him down on a cot... Oh man, that was the most comfortable place his old bones had rested upon for... Years. He might have even fallen asleep again, if not for the unpleasantness of his wound getting treated. And even the pain was beginning to subside after a healing salve started to take effect. Oh, blessed healers...

"How are you feeling?" he asked Nym, taking advantage of a moment they were left alone. "Are you strong enough to go outside? I heard that sitting under the rays of sun helps with healing, or so my..." he suddenly cut himself short and turned away to hide his face from the girl. Faldin had used to say so. The familiar sting of an old pain was like a festered wound being poked. Why had he brought this up, he didn't know.
In the Realm of Ulmo
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
"I am feeling...as well as could be expected, I suppose," Nym replied. "And yes, I believe I would like to go outside for a little while." She smiled slightly and politely ignored the rest of what Rovan had said. Just before he turned away, she caught a glimpse of the deep pain written on his face. Nym wondered exactly what had happened in this intriguing young man's past to cause him so much pain.

She still felt a bit weak, but she was able to stand without too much difficulty. She resisted the urge to help Rovan up. She knew he felt humiliation at having to be helped around enough as it was, without her adding to it. She could see the same determination in his face that she had seen in her father on more than one occasion, after he had come home wounded. Nym knew that at this point, it was best to let him do it himself.

She followed him outside, and they walked around the grounds for a little ways, careful to not stray too far from the house.

It was so peaceful here, Nym thought. So quiet. So...untouched by the devastation of war. She sighed.

They walked on for a few minutes more. Then in the distance, she heard a voice calling then in for the noon meal. Suddenly, Nym realized how hungry she was. She and Rovan made their way back to the farmhouse.

Inside, surrounded by the people who had so quickly come to mean so much to her, Nym could almost forget the horrors of the battle and put that awful night behind her.

Almost.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"May I help you? I was a cook at the inn my Mother owned."

"Of course," Cwen's aunt replied, "if you could hand me that spoon. What is your name darling?"
Soon the meal was ready and the rest of the company was called in to eat. They ate in silence for some time relishing the hot food. Finally Arath, Cwen's uncle, spoke.
"What news from your father and brother Eadwine?"
Eadwine nearly choked, but managed to swallow. He stared at his bowl for a minute then looked up.
"They fell uncle, before the gates of Minas Tirith. They fought and died honorably in the charge on the mumkil."
Shock, confusion, and grief filled the silence that followed. Cwen ran out of the house suddenly.
"I'll be back," she sobbed.
Their aunt rose to go after her but Eadwine stopped her.
"I'll go," he said.
Arath bowed his head as Eadwine slipped out the door. He found Cwen curled up in Thunder's stall weeping softly. Eadwine sat down by her allowing the young woman to wrap him in an embrace and sob till her heart felt like breaking. The brother and sister silently reminisced of the days before the War, when their family had been one. The comforting presence of each other replaced a thousand words.
~~~~~~
An hour later the two came back in. Their aunt and uncle were sitting by the fire and the guests were also clustered around the warming flames. Cwen sat down by her aunt and Eadwine stood near the door. The flickering tongues of flame reflected in the young woman's eyes, softly at first but growing until the room hung with the words.

Hwær nū cwom mearg ge cwom mago?
Hwær beorn cwom horn se beorn blæst?
Hwær beorn cwom helm ge cwom habergeon,
Ge cwom berht hær flowan?
Hwær beorn cwom folm wiþ cwom hearpe,
Ge cwom read fȳr glitian?
Hwær beorn cwom hleapan ge cwom gaderian ge cwom corn lēodan?
Hie habban acwelan lufian regn forþ cwom beorg,
Lufian an bræð wiþ cwom mǣd;
Cwom dæġ habban feran abreotan wiþ cwom westo æfter cwom hylls wiþ sceaduwe.
Hwā sculan gædrian cwom smēocan cwom fram deaþ wudu birnan,
Oþþe seon cwom flōwan ġēar wiþ cwom holm wendan?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning,
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

Only the cracking of the flames could be heard in the silence afterward.

[Edited on 02/03/2015 by Cenor]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Of course,"Cwen's aunt said, "If only you will hand me that spoon. What's your name, darling?"

"Moisaic," Mosaic answered, prepared for the usual reaction to her uncouth name. She located the spoon quickly and handed it over, and then buisied herself by slicing a loaf of bread into peices for them all. Soon, she could smell the thick stew simmering, and the rest of the group was called to the table.

As they sat, Eadwine's family discussed the events that had befallen them. Since Mosaic knew most of what happened, she tuned them out and ate her meal.The chunks of potato in the stew were old, perhaps slightly moldy, but they were well cooked and warm. It was the best meal that their company had eaten in days.

She wondered if her mother was concerned for her. She was more likely to send a scout out for her missing worker, not her missing daughter. The thought worried Mosaic. Would people place blame on Eadwine?

She still sat at the table when the others gravitated towards the fireplace.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Rovan showed an honest appreciation of the delicious food on the table. It was eery - to be sitting at a proper table, laid with bowls and spoons, and mugs with water or tea, and people just sitting around it, not looking over their shoulders, not keeping a blade close to their sword arm... It almost felt like home. Almost.

Too bad he didn't belong there. The man averted his eyes from the family drama playing before him. Their pain was their own, and they deserved to keep it private. They were a family, and even the pain of loss didn't change that. They stuck together. So he just ate in silence, feeling more lonely than before, when he had been all alone out on the plains of Rohan.

Nobody said anything while Eadwine and Cwen were gone, and Rovan guessed that everybody was thinking about those they had held dear, and lost. Or perhaps, who they did not want to lose. Himself, he refused to go there. Some things were better left untouched.

He snuck a glance at Nym to see how she was doing, and saw her deep in thought as well. With a sigh, Rovan went for another refill of the stew. His gut was telling him that this might be one of the last good meals he'd have. The road was expecting him again. Somehow it seemed like it wouldn't be the same again...

Rovan didn't notice the siblings return, so Cwen's singing voice stole into his depressed thoughts. Full of sorrow, it stung him deeper than any blade would. Suddenly, Faldin's serious face was before his eyes, staring at him, so clear and detailed as if it had been yesterday he lost her.

The man's vision blurred, and he rubbed his eyes.
In the Realm of Ulmo
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Ithilwen sat at the table, savoring every bite of the hot food. The mood in the room was pleasant until Eadwine's uncle asked,

"What news from your father and brother Eadwine?"

The look on Eadwine's face spoke volumes about the pain he felt.
"They fell uncle, before the gates of Minas Tirith. They fought and died honorably in the charge on the mumkil."

Grief and shock showed plainly in the faces around the table. Cwen ran from the room, sobbing, and Eadwine followed her moment later.

Ithilwen sighed as she looked down at her bowl. The food didn't taste as good anymore.

~*~*~*~
The meal was completed and everything cleared away. Not a word had been spoken since Cwen and her brother had left the house. Now Ithilwen, Mosaic, Rovan, Nym, Iorveth, Arath and his wife were gathered around the fire, but it seemed to have lost its warmth; a chill hung in the air.

The door opened and Cwen and Eadwine stepped inside, Cwen taking a seat beside her aunt. Eadwine remained by the door.
Cwen began singly softly. Her sweet voice was tinged with grief. It was an emotion Ithilwen knew well. She stared into the flickering glow of the flames, her mind traveling back down the roads of time. She had been there when the events in the song took place. And before that, at the fall of the city of Fornost in the North. Fire, ruin, death. Many friends had fallen beside her, but many enemies had met their end in the process. She looked down at her folded hands. In them were the power to kill, but also to heal. She had done much of both.

The sad song ended, but the notes still echoed in Ithilwen's heart.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
As Nymira listened to Cwen's mournful song, her thoughts turned to home. Of her mother and father and little sister, having to fend for themselves while she, the provider of the household, was away.

She wondered if she had made the right decision, to go off to Gondor and leave her family alone, unprotected. What if she returned, only to find that her family had been harmed or even killed in her absence, just because she was not there to protect them? Intense fear filled her, and she suddenly realized she was shaking.

Then Nym squared her shoulders and stilled her shaking body. They were not left entirely helpless. She knew her mother still possessed her father's sword. Fayne knew how to wield it. She was no expert, by any means. But she knew enough to defend her family.

They would be there when she returned. They would.

She looked around at the faces of those gathered around the fire. They were thoughtful...and sad. She glanced over at Rovan and saw him surreptitiously swipe at his eyes. So much pain that he tried to hide. So much suffering.

Nym wanted so much to help him move on from the pain of his loss, whatever it was. She wanted to help all of her friends overcome the pain in each one's past. But she knew it was not her job. That was something they would have to learn to overcome on their own, however hard it might be for her to stand by and watch.

Cwen's song ended. A melancholy and thoughtful silence ensued.
<< First678910
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email