Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Post Travel
on: July 14, 2014 09:52
This thread is a discussion stemming from the "Where Ya From?" thread in Facts About Us. Where have you traveled, and/or where do you wish to travel? What was your favorite destination? Image
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Only a few states in the US - from California and have traveled up and down the state, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, a bit into Virginia and Atlanta, Georgia for DragonCon. Only other country I've ever been to other than Baja California down to Ensenada is Bermuda for two years whilst in the Navy and Tahiti in 1977 with my mother before she passed away 2 years later.

Always wanted to take a safari in East Africa, never happened at nearly 62, doubtful it will in the future.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
From my home state of Ohio, I have been to Canada to see the Falls, Pennsylvania to see the Libery Bell, New York to climb to the top of the Statue of Liberty, and Nevada to go to Vegas. I just passed through Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia. Virginia, North and South Carolina, and Georgia on my way to Florida to go to Disney World. Florida is where I ended up living.

The only traveling I would do might be to go back to Ohio for a visit and in my own state, I want to go to the Keys. That's it. I am a *stay at home* kind of girl. (The hour drive to Daytona Beach does not count)
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I live in Buffalo NY, so I see more tourists than have been one myself. The Falls isn't far at all, so I go there frequently. Canada is not far either, so I have been there many times, to Quebec and Toronto. My family lives mostly in Pennsylvania, so I go tehre every summer and stay in my Aunts cabin on the lake. I have been to Cleveland, Ohio to go to the Great Lakes Science Center, The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and The Hard Rock Cafe, and to Colombus, Ohio, for various string competitions and events.

Ihave also been to Georgia to visit family and will be going back in October 2015 for a wedding. Have been through West Virginia, Virginia, North and South Carolina, and Tennessee to get there. I would love to go to France and Spain.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hey Maxie! Cleveland, Ohio is where I hail from and you have mentioned some fave haunts of mine especially the Hard Rock. If you go to Columbus, Ohio again, check out German Village. They have a wonderful bookstore there called The Book Loft.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I would love to visit again! Especially since I haven;t been there in a few years, I was 12 when I went.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
I've been to Germany (Essen), Denmark, France, Spain, Portugal and Scotland. I've travelled round England a bit but not enough. Cornwall is my fav place, it's like a Mediterranean country but with pubs. And it's got Ocean, proper Ocean.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Here is a very cool map maker that shows where you've been: in the World, the U.S., Europe, etc. You choose the map and then the countries/states.

Here's mine for the U.S.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Ah, you have been to New York, Nenya? Where did you visit?
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
I'm not sure it counts for much since it was where I landed in the U.S. from my trip to Europe. I was at JFK for a couple of hours waiting for my flight home. But hey, I was in New York! I did spend a wonderful week in Pittsburgh, though.
Nessa Sindanarie
Council Member
Send Message
I've travelled to Europe one or twice (I was born there, but i don't live there anymore.) M favourite place I have travelled to is Switzerland, but I'm not sure if that counts because i was born there hahaha
I also love the South Island of NZ, so many mountains!!
If i could travel anywhere in the world, I would go to either Greece or Hawaii
''I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!'' - Bilbo Baggins of Bag End
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I would love to go anywhere where all of the extra language stuff would be useful, including Middle Earth. But, you know...
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I was born in Karachi, Pakistan of German parents, lived their almost 4 years (almost no memories);
first visit to Germany when I was about 1 1/4 years old;
then lived in Bombay (now Mumbai), India for 6 years;
vacation in Kashmir once while we were in India;
next we moved to the US: Queens, NYC and Port Washington, Nassau County, college in New Hampshire, 9 years;
in Germany since then.
Been to Dubai, South Korea (8 months) and Singapore on business.
Venezuela, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, France, Ireland, Greece (Crete) on vacations;
short stopovers (up to 3 days) in Morocco (Tangier and Tetuan), Egypt, Aden (in Yemen, then still crown colony of the UK), Lebanon, Athens, Istanbul, Canada (Montreal Expo 1967, Toronto), and St. Paul, Minnesota.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
So many people seem to have gone to Europe. I would love to go.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I traveled to Korea when I was four.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
School is talking about a France and Spain trip for dual lang students like me. Very costly, though, so we'll see.
Nessa Sindanarie
Council Member
Send Message
sounds like fun! I'm going on a school French trip this year, to New Caledonia.
''I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!'' - Bilbo Baggins of Bag End
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Ah! Jealously!
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
I've never been out of the US, and I've only been out of my time zone once that I remember, when I went to Tennessee (I live in Virginia), though my mom took me to Texas when I was a baby (which does not count). *pouts* The farthest North I've been was Pennsylvania, and the farthest south was Georgia. Even in the places I've travelled to, Ididn't really get achance to see the sights, though I do love fairly close to DC and usually make it up there around one a year.

Still, as you see, I'm not really a world traveller. However, I hope to make a trip to California at some point soon to visit my sister, and I have my heart set on going to Italy before I die, especially Venice and Tuscany. We'll see if it happens... :/
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I will go with you to Italy when I start Italian in college, OneSize.
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
That would be fun!! I've considered taking my sis with me, too.
I'm studying Italian online...
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I am studying too many languages at present date, after a solid year of Spanish, I should be good to go. They are similar, anyways. It looks like a trip up into Quebec is in the works for school!
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
You're going to Quebec? * writhes in jealousy* Have fun!!
Sarniel
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, I used to travel a lot with my family as a child and now that I'm a bit older I try to go somewhere new every year I've been to: Croatia, Austria, Belgium, Hungary, Germany, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Northern Cyprus, Greece, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Egypt, France, Italy, Ireland, Iceland, Romania, Spain, Serbia, UK, Tunisia and Turkey.

Spain, Iceland, Ireland and Turkey were by far my favourites, I loved Czech Republic as well, the people are so nice there

[Edited on 11/25/2014 by Sarniel]
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
I loved Turkey! It's one of the places I would go back to in a heartbeat!

Other favourites are Italy, Costa Rica, and the UK.

My big ones I still have to visit are NZ, Peru, and pretty much anywhere in Africa, though I really want to see the Ngorongoro crater Victoria Falls!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Three of my friends and I are talking about a week and a half long trip after we graduate to Ireland and England.
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
It won't be enough lol. It's awesome there! The best thing I've done in England is seeing a Shakespeare play in Stratford-Upon-Avon.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, we are looking into activities and such.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
How is it that this thread has been here since last year, and yet I never saw it?

Unfortunately, I've never been out of the country (U.S.). I've been to or traveled through Georgia, North and South Carolina, Louisiana, Alabama, and Florida. And I live in Mississippi. I would like to travel the rest of the U.S. sometimes, as well as the rest of the world. Some places I would particularly like to go is Africa, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand, India, Brazil, Germany, and too many other places to say here. Like I said, I'd pretty my like to travel the world.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mareth, you could take a missions trip to Africa in college, if that is something that would interest you.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, this dream of travelling around the world and seeing new places, other cultures, meeting people...
Interestingly enough, I have never really wanted to go to Italy. I know everybody does - but I don't. Or to Greek islands, or Spanish beaches. I think that going to your typical tourist place is... well that, typical and mainstream. I have loved trekking in Slovakia, and the tiny mountain towns in Spain, and I want to visit the glaciers in Norway - while they're still there. I have been to Borneo and spent time among the local tribespeople in their Culture Village of Sarawak, but I haven't visited Kuala Lupmur and its famous Twin Towers

Something like that.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, I do, in fact, want to take a missions trip to Africa. Or anywhere, for that matter. And I have wanted to for a long time. We'll see if this dream of mine ever comes true.

Well, I would like to go to the places that everyone wants to visit, but I also want to go to the less well known places. That's why I said I want to travel the world.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I would also love to go to China someday. I am not sure I mentioned that. But, since I do not speak Chinese, I need to either learn it or find someone who does. I would actually prefer to learn it though, so I could interact.

My friend and I were looking at hotels in Ireland...we want a four star hotel...the cost is 1,260 for a week, and that includes airfare.
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
Your best bet with going somewhere you've never been is to do a tour. I'm not a tour person myself, but I've found success with adventure-style tours - loads of free time and super cheap because you're basically paying for a guide, transportation, and hotel. Best way to go, IMO.

That's a really good rate for Ireland! Holy crap! Where are you looking at staying? Dublin?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, Dublin, and the a detour for a few days to London. Add 500 to the cost of the trip for that.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email