Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Sarniel
Council Member
Send Message
In my opinion, tours are usually the worst possible option. If you are the least bit independent then you're going to manage just fine on your own, and self organisation is a lot cheaper as well. It is quite easy to find a rather cheap flight or whichever transportation if you book it in advance, and getting to know the country on your own is a special experience. All you need is a map,some prior research and the willingness to talk to locals, they're usually pretty happy to recommend places you wouldnt have heard of otherwise. And there's always couchsurfing, or if you're not comfortable with that then there are some pretty cheap hostels to be found everywhere, whereas tours usually include staying at hotels, which can be in a worse state than most hostels but cost more than that.

Although it really does depend on the level of comfort you wish to have during your travels.

[Edited on 01/23/2015 by Sarniel]
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Well, the reason why we want a tour is because we will be below the legal age. We figure that since none of us have been there before, it might be a safer thing to do.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
Tours are a lot different now than they were years ago, though. I'm so anti-regiment when I travel. I'd rather do my own thing. But I like that, when I'm in a country where I don't speak the language, I have a guide and friends. Certain places I wouldn't tour, but...Egypt...India...yeah, you bet your butt I'm getting a tour, lol. Not a seat in a coach, itinerary set from the get-go tour. But I like tour companies like G Adventures or Intrepid or Gecko's. Not really set, apart from having your transportation and hotels. They're cheaper than going on your own, too, in most instances. I did a 12 day tour of Turkey for less than $75/day (Canadian). And it was nice to meet people -- I'm still friends with people I met and Turkey was 4 years ago!

Which companies are you thinking of taking? I could probably recommend or give feedback for some

(If you can't tell, I work in travel, lol)
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Hey, I forgot to mention...I've also been to Massachusetts, and probably flown through some of the northern states. I guess I forgot to mention it because I was three at the time.

Maxie, when you go on this tour...you should come down here and pick me up so I can go, too.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mareth as I have told you before, the day I get a car, I am driving down.

And Mara, no, we do not know which companies yet. I would love your feedback!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
Well, if you're looking for tours with a younger average age, your best bets are Top Deck, Contiki, and Geckos. The big differences are Contiki are a party tour company and they tend to stay in more specialized hotels; Top Deck, while they do still party, tend to be less party-focussed and will stay in hotels more centralized to where you are; and Gecko's are an adventure company - they're a subdivision of Intrepid tours. Top Deck are who I did for Turkey and I LOVED them!

Outside of those three, I also really like Trafalgar Tours. Royal Irish/Royal Scottish tours also have some great itineraries, but they're mostly self-drive stuff.

It's a bit of a mouthful, lol, but let me know what you think of those ones! They're my top choices usually.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Mara, thank you very much! I think that Top Deck may be the way to go, and after that, Royal Irish. The self drive thing will be a problem though, haha. I don't think that I would be able to handle driving on the opposite side of the road that we do here. But we could get a taxi and get that taken care of. What about hotels? Do you know of any chains that are of good quality and rating?

And for everyone, what is the first place that you visited at your favorite travel destination?
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
What kind of hotel chains are you used to using? Even if it's just locally Helps me figure out what you might like.

For me, first place I went is Italy and my faves are Italy, Costa Rica, and Turkey. Though, London is my go-to getaway, lol. Family there.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Hampton Inn and Motel Six, for me. Not sure how local those are. I am pretty sure that they are nation wide, in the US, at least. But I am willing to try anything.
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
Try Premier Inn. I stayed at one by Gatwick airport and it was decent. Nice and clean, not too expensive. If you're staying in London at all, try staying a bit farther out to save money and just taking the underground into town. It's so easy to use. The first time I used it was when my aunt dropped me off at the station nearest her house. The only instruction on how to get to where I was going was, "bye! See you later for dinner!" lol

Everything's labelled. Use this side of the platform to go to these stations. All very easy.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Premier Inn... I will keep that in mind. Thank you!

And no worries, I am a New Yorker. Not NYC, but we all have subways and train services and stuff. I will be absolutely fine on the underground.
Mara
Chiquita Banana
Send Message
No problem! I kind of love the UK, so I'm always up for talking about it, lol.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email