Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Post Ranger's Apprentice
on: July 15, 2014 07:58
I've only read the first two books but I'm hooked. Has anyone else here read them?
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
YES. I've read them all. Some of my most favorite books. Ever. I didn't care much for book #12, though. It was just...not Ranger's Apprentice. John Flanagan should have stopped at #10. #11 was okay. It's just some short stories about the Rangers compiled into a book.

I'm really liking his new series, The Brotherband Chronicles. I've read all of them but the newest one. I really want to read it!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I know this is heresy on this website, but I actually like the Ranger's Apprentice series better than the Lord of the Rings. Though don't get me wrong, I do love LotR. I just like RA better. For one thing, I think it is a lot more realistic. I mean, there is no magic or anything in them, and all the nations in there are based off real world ones.

[Edited on 07/18/2014 by Leoflic_Nightleaf]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Its just the different world I think because, though they rank lower than LOTR, they have captured a special place in my mental bookshelf. I'm glad to hear that you like nations that are built off of real world ones because I am working on a fantasy world myself.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Feyna
Council Member
Send Message
I've read the RA books, not all of them though, I think there's two more books I have yet to read. ^^
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Same here, Feyna. I haven't gotten around to reading 11 and 12, as they were written more recently, and aren't really part of the series, as such. I am meaning to read them sometime though, as well as the Brotherband Chronicles.
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
I've only read about half of the RA series. I'm also eager to start reading the Brotherband books.
Eglerio Eru o I gely bân siriar. (Praise God from Whom all blessing flow)
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I have read RA, starting in fifth grade and ending about two years ago or so. I started to read the Brotherband Chronicles, but found that after the first book they did not hold my attention. But I loved the RA series and the first book.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I am reading book six now. I read the others on the road. Worried a lot on book four because my kindle battery was running low and it was in the middle of a battle.
Jedi Knight Elrohir Sparrow
Council Member
Send Message
I've read the first one and I'm halfway through the second one. I am TOTALLY hooked on them. I had to wait four days for the second one at the library, and I could barely contain my excitement. I am so scared about reading book nine, 'Halt's Peril' 'cause I think he's gonna die. BUT NOBODY TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS!! I want to find out for myself. Either I have an uncanny ability to know what will happen in the book, or I am dead wrong. Oh well, either way I'm totally excited. HALT ROCKS! HALT RULES! And I really want him to throw someone else in the moat...
"A time may come soon, when none will return. Then there will be need of valour without renown, for none shall remember the deeds that are done in the last defence of your homes. Yet the deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised." --Aragorn, Return of the King, pg. 767
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
I'm on book two!! And I don't have a good feeling about book 9!! Halt's Peril!! NNNOOOO!!! Does any one else imagine Halt like Strider, or a cross between Strider and Kota from The Force Unleashed??
Image "We all change when you think about it. We're all different people all through out our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving so long as you remember all the people that you used to be." -- The 11th Doctor
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Yes I imagine him as a short Aragorn. Aahhh I'm on book six. No don't go Halt!!!!! Can I throw someone in a moat because I can think of a few people that need a good soaking.
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
I'm reading the second one now. I don't get the moat thing.
Image "We all change when you think about it. We're all different people all through out our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving so long as you remember all the people that you used to be." -- The 11th Doctor
Feyna
Council Member
Send Message
@JedI Knight: Have fun reading!
The same goes for me with imagining Halt, I keep picturing him as a short maybe older and scruffier version of Strider.

Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Don't you ever feel like you need to throw someone (particularly annoying) in a moat ElfwithAtatude?
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
YES!!! I actually just read that part last night!! I started laughing and my dad was like, "what's so funny?" Now I get it. Hahah lol!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I need a moat does CoE have some for sale. I think my dad would like to buy one too.

Council Member
Send Message
Hahahaha...yeah. I would buy...like...ten moats.first I'd throw Evanlyn in it. Then I'd throw the really-starting-to-get-annoying Alyss in it. Hey, is anyone else really getting annoyed with the 'outrageously beautiful' girls that keep appearing? I'm on book five, and every time Will sees a girl, she's...like...gorgeous!! Ugh. That gets SO annoying. Let's see...I can count...nevermind I can't count. They're too many.

Ro
"A time may come soon, when none will return. Then there will be need of valour without renown, for none shall remember the deeds that are done in the last defence of your homes. Yet the deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised." --Aragorn, Return of the King, pg. 767
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
I would buy a mote as well. YES!! I get so fed-up with all the blond gorgeous girls!! Doesn't he have any redheads or brunets?? I'm on book three but I have to wait for it to come in at our library.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I have finished Rangers Apprentice! Book 11 does seem a bit out of place but its short stories. Some of them are probably written before Ruins of Gorlan. One question: what Brother-band books should I get next? There seems to be two different sets...
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I don't think their are. The first book- I don't recal it's name- has two boy's sparring on the front.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
Congrats Cenor!!! I don't know much about the Brother Band , though.
Council Member
Send Message
I'm going to read Brotherband after I've finished RA. I'm reading book 10 now. I already KNOW that I'm going to hate book 12. But I got it anyways, oh well.
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, I don't think I'm going to give it a try. *shivers* just looking at the book make me want to through it in a mote.
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
There's not much happen on here so I'll ask a question. Does any one else think that Halt or Gilan or who ever should have thought about shooting the kalkara (spelling??) With a flaming arrow before Will did it?? Cause Halt was sitting there and he could have prepared the arrows beforehand and within two shots the hole thing could have been done with.
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
There's not much happen on here so I'll ask a question. Does any one else think that Halt or Gilan or who ever should have thought about shooting the kalkara (spelling??) With a flaming arrow before Will did it?? Cause Halt was sitting there and he could have prepared the arrows beforehand and within two shots the hole thing could have been done with.
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message

[Edited on 09/14/2014 by ElfwithAtatude]
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
Oops. Sorry about the two extra posts.

Btw @ Cenor like your avatar!!!
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Hello again. I've been gone from here awhile...

Earlier y'all were talking about Halt being kind of Strider-like. I guess I'll be in the minority by saying, no, I do not think of him like Strider. He is a lot different looking, to me. He also acts way different.

In answer to your question, Elf: if Gilan had thought of shooting the Kalkara with a fire arrow, it would not have done anyone any good as he was not present at the battle. He was on foot, following after Halt, remember. As to why Halt did not think of it, I don't know. He might have used some of the old cooking oil he found on his arrow, but he would have to soak it for a long time for it to absorb it, for one thing; whereas Will had the use of the extra dripping pitch from Baron Arald's torch for his arrow. That might be one reason...also, had Will not shot the remaining Kalkara, and Halt had, that would have ruined the end of the book.

I have read the first three Brotherband books, and I really like them. They don't hold a candle to RA, of course, but then, what does? I eagerly await the arrival of the fourth Brotherband book to my library.

As far as I know, this is the order of the Brotherband Chronicles books:

#1 The Outcasts
#2 The Invaders
#3 The Hunters
#4 Slaves of Socorro
#5 Scorpion Mountain

[Edited on 09/15/2014 by Mareth_Ravenlock]
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, Mareth-that is correct.

My sister doesn't care for RA. She's currently reading The Hobbit, though, first time read, and then my book. I'll have her try it again in a bit or so.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, I haven't read Ranger's Apprentice yet, but I believe it is geared towards slightly older readers. Clare may enjoy them more as a teen.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I read them at eight, though. My sister is ten. I was in a reading competition at school, same one that she is in now, and you would read four books and then answer questions on them in a competition like setting with other elementary schools. (First in the District, by the way! ) RA was on the list at my age, and it remains at my sister's because it's so readable. (First book, now whole series, by the way.) It's all in the maturity of the reader. Since she was able to watch The Hobbit movies at eight and nine, she can read RA at ten.
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
@ Mareth_Ravenlock. Good points. As for Golan he could have throughout of it while they were still all together. I was more trying to say why didn't anyone think of it when they learned about the Kalkara's weakness??? True, it would steel Will's shinning moment and probably change the book drastically, but still....
Didn't the book say the Halt had stopped to make camp and build a huge bonfire?? While he was doing that he could have been soaking the arrows?? Or maybe not, my mind isn't the most logical. thoughts were very good points, though.
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
@ Mareth_Ravenlock. Good points. As for Golan he could have throughout of it while they were still all together. I was more trying to say why didn't anyone think of it when they learned about the Kalkara's weakness??? True, it would steel Will's shinning moment and probably change the book drastically, but still....
Didn't the book say the Halt had stopped to make camp and build a huge bonfire?? While he was doing that he could have been soaking the arrows?? Or maybe not, my mind isn't the most logical. thoughts were very good points, though.
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
Dang it!! I'm really sorry for the double post again. It was unintentionally done. My computer is doing funny things to me....
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email