Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Post Verbs and other stuff
on: July 28, 2014 12:49
Been wondering lately about a few certain words, and how verbs might be extrapolated from nouns. For example, "lalith" (laughter). There are a few other words in Sindarin that end in -ith: tirith (guard/watching, as in Minas Tirith), girith (shuddering, as in Nen Girith), cirith (cleft or pass, as in Cirith Ungol).

Looking at these words, the roots are evident. Tir- is "watch", cir- is "cleave". I've never seen "girith" used outside of the name mentioned above, but I can guess that gir- means "shudder". Ditto with "lalaith"; can we assume that lala- means "laugh"?

Are there any other words like this? Am I on the right track with trying to parse them?

On another note, does anyone know the word for "can", or "to be able"? I want to have a character say "I can't dance" in Sindarin, but I don't know the right words. (Come to think of it, I don't know the Sindarin word for "dance", either. The dictionary here only has the Quenya word.) Help, please?
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Although Lalaith is Sindarin, it comes from the Quenya verb Lala- = to laugh, which is often changed into Lal- = to laugh as an Exilic Sindarin verb. The normal verb for 'to laugh' is Gladh- in Sindarin.

Gir- = to shudder is indeed what people tend to assume the verb stem is.

Regarding 'to watch' we not only have the verb stem tir- but also tira- and tiria-.

There is no attested verb for 'to dance' however there is a reconstruction: Liltha-, or some people also use Lilla-.

'To be able to' is generally reconstructed as pol-.

[Edited on 07/28/2014 by Galadivren]
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you! So just to clarify, "I cannot" in Sindarin would be "U-pelin" [with a long U, which I can't seem to type out]?
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Don't forget that ú causes soft mutation

ú-belin = I cannot, I am unable to (with the intimation 'because I am physically unable to'). This does unfortunately clash with the verb pel- = to fade, wither, so it also looks like 'I do not fade', but context with the verb 'dance' would give the correct translation in this case.
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
Post Verbs and other stuff
on: July 29, 2014 03:59
The form Lalaith has also been considered somewhat peculiar due to its appearance, but it can certainly always be etymologically explained. Albeit a name passed on by Men, it could arise from proto-Elvish *(g)ládi-lektā (i/ē, tā/tō &c.) "release of laughter", after the Welsh parallel talaith "frontlet, crown" which comes from an old compound *talo-sektā "forehead-attachment" (Morris-Jones 1913, § 206)... But then again, there is also an alternate manuscript form Lalaeth (WJ) whose second syllable would have to historically represent either a t-suffix noun from LAK [a root meaning "swift"] instead, or a poetic form *lag(ā)-ittā "swordess" (< LAG; cf. SYAD)! Hence an easier and more sensible explanation may be that Tolkien was simply experimenting with a Celtic-inspired abstract noun suffix *-akt- > S †-aeth (= Welsh) and a hypothetical, "more Eldarin" variant *-ekt- which became S -aith.

Of course as Galadivren pointed out, a "Sindarin-proper" verb meaning "to laugh" is indeed gladh- (present tense stem *gledhi-) according to Tolkien himself (The Peoples of Middle-Earth p. 359).

Other possible choices for "to be able" are #gar- (II), extrapolated from neledh neledhi gar "three may/are able to go in" (TAI:150) and !tor- from Sindarin's precursor Goldogrin (< PE11:72), sharing the same root as later tûr ["power, control, mastery"] — rather like Latin posse (< potesse), potestas, potentia and Finnish voida, voima, voitto.

[Edited on 07/30/2014 by Elhath]
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks again!

In looking at the "Useful Elvish Phrases" elsewhere on this site, I found the phrase "E ú-’ar hired râd", which is translated as "He is not able to find a way." I suspect the 'ar is the form of "be able", but with the apostrophe I can't tell what the full root is. Any insight on this and how it might relate or not relate to the aforesaid verb pol-?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
When you see an apostrophe like that, it means the 'g' disappeared.

However. Gar- = to have, to hold.

[Edited on 08/03/2014 by Galadivren]
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Oooh, I see. So the above sentence would translate (roughly) to something like "He doesn't have finding a way"?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
It literally says...

"He himself does not hold find path."

I think it's a wee bit outdated, if I'm honest!
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, it seems that way. ^^;
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Something interestng I found: Apparetly the Sindarin words for "to have" and "to be able" are the same word, gar-. I finally found it in the dictionary here, as well as in the lyrics to the song "The End of All Things" from the ROTK soundtrack. The terms "ú-'erin" and "ú-erich" are translated as "I cannot" and "you cannot" three separate times.

Lyrics: http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/thelordoftheringsiii-thereturnoftheking/theendofallthings.htm

[Edited on 08/20/2014 by Ireth_Telrunya]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email