Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
nube
Council Member
Send Message
Post DOCUMENTARY ABOUT SINDARIN SPEAKERS
on: August 11, 2014 12:10
Greetings to everyone. I am a filmmaker looking to shoot a documentary about the individuals who dedicate themselves to studying and developing the Sindarin language. I am currently located in the New York City area. If there are any people interested in participating in the project, I would be honored to conduct an interview and film your methods of practice. I would also appreciate any assistance from people outside of the New York City area. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read this.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Well, it's a shame you're based in that area, as a large number of Sindarin scholars live in Europe (including myself), but I wish you luck with the documentary.
nube
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, as of this moment, international travel isn't on my radar BUT knowing that there is a large concentration in Europe is a good start. Somewhere is better than nowhere to start!

If anything arises I hope you don't mind me contacting you first, being that you were the only one who responded to this thread.

Thanks in advance.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
In fairness I do also know of a couple of Americans (though I have absolutely no idea where they live), but feel free to contact me if anything ever does arise, by all means. I'd be happy to point you in the direction of several other scholars.

There is a Google+ group you may find useful:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105957840800720660334

[Edited on 08/14/2014 by Galadivren]
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
I would think that most people have access to HD cameras these days, if only webcams. Would it not be possible to conduct interviews remotely or to ask them to create content? I believe Skype is recordable, though the quality is poor.
mythryl
Council Member
Send Message
I agree with tarcolan, the chances of you finding enough sindarin speakers to make a documentary, all within the the NY area are quite slim, but if you were to conduct the interviews over Skype or something, with a few in person as well, you will be able to reach out further for more information, and if I didnt live in the UK, I would jump at the chance to appear as its a brilliant idea.
“Even the smallest person can change the course of the future” - Lady Galadriel
Lynk
Council Member
Send Message
I, too, would have jumped on the occasion if I would be living in your area. Unfortunately Switzerland isn't a "Cabed en-Aras" "Leap of the deer" if you get what I mean
Even so, I support your idea! There would be something I could do, like writing an essay or something in that direction. Let me know if that idea appeals to you!
De andelu ervenin! Mabo i grist hen. It's dangerous to go alone! Take this sword!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email