Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
pv
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Fall of Arthur
on: August 18, 2014 06:26
What did you think of Tolkien's version of the Arthurian legend? Did you prefer it to the others - Thomas Malory, Tennyson, TH White, "Merlin" on TV, etc.?
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for jogging my memory, pv! As a JRRT freak, not having a book by The Master is a case of serious negligence. My only excuse is that Beowulf was already looming on the horizon, so off to my favorite bookstore to order it. The only thing I could vaguely compare it to would be the 1981 film "Excalibur". While I'm at it, I might just as well go after the DVD of Excalibur, because I have positive, if hazy memories of it. And Wikipedia tells me that there were some (then not-so-well-known) actors involved, like Liam Neeson as Gawain (!!!) and Patrick Stewart. I shall post anew after having gone through book and film.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
Heh heh! When I get my copy of Beowulf, and you get your copy of Arthur, we shall meet at Philippi!
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I had the Fall of Arthur on my too buy list but then I read somewhere that it wasn't a complete story and actually was only 40 some pages of very rough story by Tolkien and the rest was just commentary. I decided not to buy it after reading that. Is what I read true?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
@ Dolwen: do you have the HoME? I would guess that anyone who has struggled through that is hardened enough for a "Fall of Arthur" as you described it.

@ pv: do you mean the Macedonian city established by Alexander the Great's dad Philip II in 356 BC, or the Battle of Philippi, the final battle in the Wars of the Second Triumvirate between the forces of Mark Antony and Octavian, and the forces of Julius Caesar's assassins Marcus Junius Brutus and Gaius Cassius Longinus in 42 BC?
pv
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin - I was actually referring to the ghost in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar - "I am thy evil genie, Brutus: we shall meet again at Philippi"

Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I do have HoMe and have read all of it and rather enjoyed it but having only 40 pages of story just doesn't seem worth the investment to me. With HoMe we had more or less complete stories from the Sil and a complete LotR to make all the commentary interesting and worth it. I was just wondering if it was true about the 40 some pages is all. I'm guessing it is.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Was close to heading for the sources of the book and the DVD today, but somehow had forgotten what would make the DVD (if still to be had) so interesting after 30 years. Next try tomorrow, maybe?
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Went off to the possible sources of book and DVD last Thursday.
Ordered "Fall of Arthur", delivery perhaps week after next.
The 1981 film "Excalibur" seems to be out of print by now ... oh well.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email