Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Sawien
Council Member
Send Message
Post Who attacked Morgoth single handedly?
on: September 23, 2014 10:05
I was talking with an older man who claims to be a Silm fanatic, but he switched these two characters- One attacks Morgoth and dies, and the other dies in the Battle of Unnumbered Tears- when attempting to explain the story line to my mother. Honestly, I'm curious who else mixes them up.
Fingon
0% (0)
Fingolfin
100% (9)
"A king is he that can hold his own or else his title is vain." -NelyaFinwe Maitimo (Maedhros)
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Fingolfin, no Question, challenged Morgoth after the Dagor Bragollach (the Battle of Sudden Flame, FA 455) to single combat, which Morgoth grudgingly accepted, and in which Fingolfin was slain.
Fingon succeeded his father Fingolfin as High King of the Noldor in Middle-Earth, and was slain in the Nirnaeth Arnoediad (the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, 473 FA).
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Gando is 100% correct on this one.
Sawien
Council Member
Send Message
I corrected him on the fact, but I was somewhat shocked that someone who had read the book would make that mistake. The Battle of Unnumbered Tears was one of the things that really stood out to me, and I couldn't help but think: how could someone confuse Fingon and Fingolfin?
"A king is he that can hold his own or else his title is vain." -NelyaFinwe Maitimo (Maedhros)
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Evil~Shieldmaiden said:Gando is 100% correct on this one.

Well, as is the case most of the time, I have to give credit to Robert Foster, of course. When his 1978 (reprint 1986) book is silent, I go to Friedhelm Schneidewind's 800-pager from 2000 (he's Germany's Foster).
Guides are so helpful! Image

@ Sawien: you did not define old. So being a well-qualified member of the Fans-over-Forty thread (as is Evil~Shieldmaiden ), I feel a slight urge to rise up in defense of geezers.
A criticism to direct towards him might be that he did not check back with the source.
But since I finished reading the entire twelve volumes of the History of Middle-Earth (HoME), it has happened to me that I remembered and earlier version of events than the one that ended up in the canonical Silmarillion. By now, I have to check back with both. Image

[Edited on 09/30/2014 by Gandolorin]
Sawien
Council Member
Send Message
My sincerest apologies Gandolorin,and anyone else I might have offended with my tactless comment. I had no intentions to offend, in fact I only meant that I was surprised because he was older than I am, but I was able to correct him. I promise that I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, and now that you point it out, I was a bit rude and am very sorry. To define old, he was indeed in his 40s, which is why I used the term older, but not old. Older, meaning he was older than myself, but I try not to think of people in terms of age.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Sawien said:My sincerest apologies...

Not the slightest need for apologies as far as I'm concerned, Sawien.
And to show the relativity of standpoints, someone in their forties might catch a humorous put-down from me if the occasion arises: "Stop butting in when grownups are talking, you young whippersnapper!" or similar comments.
Image Image

[Edited on 10/07/2014 by Gandolorin]
Sawien
Council Member
Send Message
I feel so much better. I was afraid that I'd horribly offended someone.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email