Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Dangerous? Lol I hope not to women! Just to orcs, goblins, wargs, & the like.
& thanks for letting me know about pinterest! I'm kind of addicted to it at times, but they need more Thranduil lol
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Just so you all know, the first chapter of The Saga of the Elvenqueen is up! My original title was Heartbroken, but I'm saving it for another fanfic. Anyway, in it is how I think Thranduil got his scar. I'm still hoping EE BotFA will tell us more about that, and how his wife died.
Does everyone else feel so much for Thranduil? I think it's so terrible that his wife died & I really wish they had gone into more detail.
Just curious, but what is everyone's take on the familial relationship between Legolas & Thranduil? I personally think that the Elvenking loves his son above all else but at the same time is scared to show him love because of his wife; I think he's afraid that showing too much love would only lead to losing his son as well.
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Before BlueberryMuffins76: I pitied Thranduil, seeing that he had suffered grief.

After BlueberryMuffins76: I am now a Thranduil fan!

Pinterest has some really neat photo's of him.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Haha, yes, I have converted another person! Now if I could only convince my sister to read his backstory, to understand all he's been through...
And yes, pinterest has the most amazing pics of him ever! I suppose this is the place to make a confession: I gave him a whole board on pinterest. I figured that he, being the Elvenking and all, deserved his own board. So I think I have over 60 pins of him now (is blushing in the background; wow have I got it bad! But he's such a handsome man!).
Ok, I think I'm done gushing for now lol
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
I'm actually quite a fan of Thranduil. And I have to give Lee Pace his due, he does put on a rather alluring and convincing British accent (some non-Brits are a bit more obvious).

I think it's the eyes in the movie that get me.... I might have to re-read the Hobbit now.
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
I find it amusing that Orlando Bloom and Lee Pace look like they could be related, and that the younger one is playing the father character. Liked Thranduil more in movie three.
"The King beneath the mountains, The King of carven stone, The lord of silver fountains Shall come into his own! His crown shall be upholden, His harp shall be restrung, His halls shall echo golden To songs of yore re-sung. The woods shall wave on mountains And grass beneath the sun; His wealth shall flow in fountains And the rivers golden run. The streams shall run in gladness, The lakes shall shine and burn, All sorrow fail and sadness At the Mountain-king's return!"
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, Lee Pace's voice is perfect, accent & all! And yes, there is something about his eyes, I'm not really sure what. Apparently Lee Pace has brown eyes in real life, but I love the blue they did for all three movies. I think his eyes are almost piercing, but he's such a handsome man that it's not scary, if that makes any sense.
I think Lee Pace is two years younger than Orlando Bloom, but it works.
BotFA is definitely my favorite as far as Thranduil goes!
And I realized I'm probably kind of annoying when I talk about him Just let me know if I go overboard!
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Look who got a new Thranduil avi! This is my absolute top favorite pic of him.
Just to give you all an update, The Saga of the Elvenqueen is finished & on here in the AU section. I shed some tears while writing it because I hate being mean to such a sweetheart. If you all read I would love to hear your thoughts on it!
You know, I think he improves throughout the three Hobbit films. The first one we don't get much of him, yet he presents an intriguing character. Then he develops more in DoS, & making up his back story through that changed my thoughts on him. Then he got even better in BotFA! I really wish they would hurry up & give us the extended version, or better yet just a whole movie about him! (I saw a pin on pinterest that said to repin if you think he should have his own movie; why didn't I think of that? lol).
And just so you know, I'd love to hear ya'll's thoughts on how he got his scars & how his wife died. I'll probably have 2 more alternate stories on those subjects.
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
I love Thranduil as well - I think he's hated a lot, though. I haven't watched the first Hobbit film (gasp - I know, I know) but I've watched the others. I agree that BotFA is his best film. In it, you really actually get to know a little bit more about his character, and at the end, it's actually really sad and sweet. Lee Pace is a great actor, as well. They apparently changed the shape of his eyebrows, color of his eyes, and whatnot. In real life he has a beard and looks really different. But he's an amazing actor and really works as Thranduil.
(And... there'll be extended versions?!!!! I'm really not on top of this stuff...)
Image Image Love is the strongest force the world possesses - Mahatma Gandhi
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, there will be extended versions. The EE's of AUJ and DoS are out already.

I was on Pinterest today and watched Lee's reaction when PJ and team showed him the scar for the first time. "That was awesome!"

Also, did you all know that Lee had one of the most extensive wardrobes? They had to alter one costume because he coudn't walk up the steps to the throne with it, haha.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
I actually have two books that are the "Chronicles" of the movies - all the designs they came up with and drew for costumes, sets, weapons and props, etc. I have the one for DoS and BotFA, and it's really cool. The pictures are all what the Weta Workshop designers and art directors like Alan Lee came up with for elves, dwarves, Laketown, Orcs, you name it. So I can see the original designs for his costume and how they changed it, and whatnot.
Image Image Love is the strongest force the world possesses - Mahatma Gandhi
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
My sister bought me the one for DoS for Christmas...and I bought her the one for BotFA and AUJ. Funny thing is, our Mom was going to buy us both the books and returned them when I told her what I got my sis and when my sis told her what she got me!

I think one of the most intriguing things about Thranduil is that we know so little about him. We know he became king when his father was killed at the Last Alliance, but we don't know his wife, his relationship with Legolas...it really makes you wonder about how things could have been different if we did know.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Oh my goodness! Jealousy! You have all sorts of cool movie stuff! But I have a board for him on pinterest (I think this girl is at 95 pins now!). And yes, I've seen him tripping up the stairs on his robe. I hate to laugh, but I have to admit it's kind of funny to know the Elvenking is susceptible to tripping like actual humans!
And Edhelharn, you actually aren't missing anything with Thranduil in AUJ, at least personally speaking. He doesn't have a very big part, unfortunately (I'm not sure if he even speaks at all!).
And Maxie, all the things we don't know about him is why I fanfic him so much! I keep on giving him alternate endings and have only managed to make his wife actually dead in one so far. I've tried with two others but like him so much that I can't bear to put him through all that pain and not give him his wife back! And yes, I do wonder what Tolkien would have said about him.
Have any of you read the Unfinished Tales? I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet, but I've heard it tells us a bit about Thranduil, although apparently not everything I would like to know!
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
There is nothing on Thranduil as far as I remember.
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Just checked my paperback copy of UT (a 1986 reprint).
UT is divided into four large parts, First, Second and Third Ages, and a fourth part covering the Drúedain (Woses of the First Age, sort of), the Istari and the Palantíri.
There is an Appendix B to part two (Second Age) titled "The Sindarin Princes of the Silvan Elves", a little over two pages, with some stuff on Thranduil.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Blue, I have the same board on Pinterest. And no, I have not read Unfinished Tales. I hope to as soon as I get through some of the other books. Gando, thank you for your help!
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, thanks Gando! Although now I'm disappointed lol But that just leaves more leeway to my wild imagination!
By the way, can anyone explain why Thranduil is so awesome to someone who doesn't like him? I can't explain why I like him so much, and it ends up the best I can do is come back with the retort, "Why don'tyou like him?" I know in the films it's a bit more questionable that Thranduil imprisoned the dwarves, but in the book the dwarves kept on trying to join their camps, so of course they captured them! I'm sure I'd do the same thing. Then when they refuse to tell the Elvenking their business, he really had no choice but to keep them in prison. How was he to know that they didn't really care about his kingdom and didn't really want to harm the elves?
Wow, I'm on a rant today apparently! I do get where dwarf fans are coming from, since it does seem rather questionable. But you have to look at it from both sides of the matter.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I realized I should have explained I really do like the dwarves (after all, they are sort of the main point of the story!), and of course they had to escape eventually. I wouldn't really have it any other way, since that's how Tolkien wrote it! (And I am a huge Fili fan, I like Kili too, but Fili is my total favorite as far as the films go, & Balin & Dori are so precious in the book!)
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I think his attitude has something to do with it. Maybe if he was a bit more calm, like in the books, he wouldn't have been received as negatively as he was. But in the books, we can see why the Elvenking acted the way he did. Granted, the dwarves and Bilbo were starving, but you would think that the Elves would help. And in the film...well, we have Elves drawing weapons on the heroes, the dwarves. It was probably a shock for viewers who didn't read the book, as the last Elves seen were from Rivendell,who helped the dwarves.

Just a thought.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, that makes sense, Maxie! I guess it is a shock; I never thought of it that way. I do understand why people don't like Thranduil, since he does come across as a bit harsh. Technically in the books the dwarves were better off imprisoned in his kingdom, since he gave them food and everything else they needed. But it didn't come across the same way in DoS for some reason. And I will admit I thought he was creepy when I first saw him in AuJ, although still rather intriguing. Then when I saw DoS, everything changed!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Just the opposite for me. I leaned over to my friend sitting next to me when Thranduil came on, and whispered, "My wedding is going to be in October, so clear your schedule now!"

So, my friend told me of a certain exchange between Thranduil and Tauriel in BotFA...I was in shock!

BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, don't tell me that! I want to be the next Elvenqueen! (I'm teasing, just so everyone knows!) lol It's a good thing he's a fictional character so we can both have him
I actually really enjoyed that exchange, & you might have seen the parallels on pinterest. It was weird because the first exchange, the second time I saw it, I was routing for Thranduil while my sister was next to me routing for Tauriel & Legolas. But at least she liked him a tad better in the second exchange, which is insanely precious!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I now walk around the house saying, "Get out of my way," in a threatening voice. My sister just rolls her eyes at me. I feel like I would do the same though, in Thranduil's position. Why would you draw an arrow on your king?
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I know! Why would you try to kill your king? That's so horrible. I guess I understand where Tauriel was coming from, but at the same time I'm over here all, "No! You cannot threaten him!" But he handled it a lot better than I would! I'm not sure exactly what I'd do, except totally freak out that my subject was trying to kill me!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
...Especially when it was the king who protected you when your parents were killed by Orcs! Ugh! I guess PJ and teamjust wanted Tauriel to continue to show her strong female lead.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
"Strong female lead"... so tired of that phrase. Anyway, I thought you all might be interested in this quote from Unfinished Tales. I think it shows us just a tiny bit more of what we already know about our beloved Elvenking.

Before this it told about the death of Thranduil's father, then went on to Thranduil's return to Greenwood the Great with only a third of the army who had set out. Then it goes on to tell about the different threats the Elves faced, including Men from the North and Wild Men from the East. Then follows:

"But there was in Thranduil's heart a still deeper shadow. He had seen the horror of Mordor and could not forgot it. If ever he looked south its memory dimmed the light of the Sun, and though he knew that it was now broken and deserted and under the vigilance of the Kings of Men, fear spoke in his heart that is was not conquered forever; it would arise again." [p.259]

[Edited on 01/31/2015 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, I've seen that quote on pinterest but don't really understand the context. Either way, it totally gives me the feels for him even more! I just hate that he lost so many elves.
And yes, I am also tired of this "strong female lead". I find it totally unnecessary, even if I do like the relationship between Kili & Tauriel. I'd really be happy with all male characters & it would have made Kili's death a bit easier for me. And of course I have to be a bit upset with Tauriel when she threatens my favorite character! I really could have done without that, although I have to admit it makes the parallels all the sweeter.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
I'll go ahead and post the context of the quote.

"Oropher was slain in the first assault upon Mordor, rushing forward at the head of his most doughty warriors before Gil-galad had given the signal for the advance. Thranduil his son survived, but when the war ended and Sauron was slain (as it seemed) he led back home barely a third of the army that had marched to war.

A long peace followed in which the numbers of the Silvan Elves grew again; but they were unquiet and anxious, feeling the change of the world that the Third Age would bring. Men also were increasing in numbers and in power. The dominion of the Númenórean kings of Gondor was reaching out northwards towards the borders of Lórien and the Greenwood. The Free Men of the North (so called by the Elves because they were not under the rule of the Dúnedain, and had not for the most part been subjected by Sauron or his servants) were spreading southwards: mostly east of the Greenwood, though some were establishing themselves in the eaves of the forest and the grasslands of the Vales of Anduin. More ominous were rumours from the further East: the Wild Men were restless. Former servants and worshippers of Sauron, they were released now from his tyranny, but not from the evil and darkness that he had set in their hearts. Cruel wars raged among them, from which some were withdrawing westward, with minds filled with hatred, regarding all that dwelt in the West as enemies to be slain and plundered. But there was in Thranduil's heart a still deeper shadow. He had seen the horror of Mordor and could not forgot it. If ever he looked south its memory dimmed the light of the Sun, and though he knew that it was now broken and deserted and under the vigilance of the Kings of Men, fear spoke in his heart that is was not conquered forever; it would arise again".
[pages 258-259]

I agree with you about Tauriel. I think she is pretty cool, but some things about her could have been done a lot better.

I was discussing with two of my sisters earlier how tragic Fili's death was and how it should have been different. He was brushed aside and it broke my heart. But I did love the Tauriel/Kili/Thranduil scene. That was so sweet and sad.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
So Thranduil maybe has symptoms of PTSD. Or something similar..."fear spoke in his heart...if he ever looked South, its memory dimmed in the light of the sun..." Hm. Maybe.

All of you who know me can bet that I am freaking out right now. What I have been trying to do for six years, and tons of books,Tolkien manages in one character's description, in a book of Unfinished Tales.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Oh my goodness! PTSD is a great diagnosis, Maxie! Now I'll have to figure that into a story somewhere, or else revise something I already have.
Lol Maxie! Tolkien just had a gift for summarizing (I was just thinking about in the end of The Silmarillion where he summarizes all of LotR in I think it was literally 2 sentences, 3 at the most!).
As for Fili, I gave him a fan club on here too, so feel free to talk more about him there, Song! & thanks for the whole quote; I think I understand now. I desperately want to hug him and tell him everything is ok, even though everything is not ok. Or at least offer him so form of comfort.
As for my description of Thranduil, I'd have to say simply he's Elven Gorgeousness! Of course there's a lot more to him than that lol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I would not object to writing a fanfic with ya, Blue. Or a RPG.

Saw some heart breaking fanart on Pinterest today...there was one with Thranduil and young Legolas sitting in a tree, and Thranduil was reading to him. And then there was another with Thranduil studying his scar in a broken shard of mirror.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Oh! Poor, sweetie :'( I have the one with him & Legolas in a tree on my board, & a few others like that, but I like to think his wife is in the background smiling on!
Did ya'll know his name means "vigorous spring"?
And Maxie, I'd love to write a fanfic with you! I should PM you the ones I already have; I just started a murder mystery about him (he's absolutely not the murderer, just to clarify!). I guess we should talk about everything in a PM, which I'll send you in minute! But I've never done role play; I'm afraid getting into more stuff on here will take up even more of my time, & I already spend way too much time on the internet (& yes, I admit I really enjoy doing that on pinterest when Thranduil's picture pops up!)
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/398639004489721566/

Very sad picture, from which a story is springing about the Elvenking.

[Edited on 02/02/2015 by Cenor]
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Oh! Such a sad image!
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yes! I have this drawing on there. It hurts me And yes, I've already written it into a story, The Saga of the Elvenqueen. But someone else's interpretation would be interesting. I looked at the fanfic they mentioned in the comments, "To Live Again," but I honestly couldn't really get into it. I guess I have to stick mainly to my own interpretation of the Elvenking! Although I have to admit I've read some pretty good ones with him in it on fanfiction.net, like "Thranduil Drops In". That one's pretty hilarious. & the author recommended another story, "Celeborn's Club," which was also pretty funny (all my favorite elves are MC's! Including Thranduil!). That kind of interpretation of him is fine, but once people start giving him a wife, I just can't do it! I guess I've laid too much claim on him for myself. The weirdest one I tried to read featured him getting remarried, which I personally can't see happening. But that's just my very personal opinion, & if other people want to give him a wife or remarry him, totally go for it! I don't have to read their works, just as they don't have to read mine. In fact, I probably bother some people with my own interpretation of him.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email