Register

Author Topic:
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Post [OOC] Swallowed by the Shadow
on: October 29, 2014 05:00
Hello there!

I would like to start a new thread, and I would be glad to have some company here

The thread will concentrate on the Flight of the Faithful from Númenor at its Downfall, year S.A. 3319. This part of Middle-Earth’s story has always intrigued me, and I would like to explore it along with several others of the talanted writers here

Let me give you an introduction in the situation we’re going to start with:

The island of Númenor was given to those men who sided with the Valar and the Noldor in their great war against Melkor and his armies. It was star-shaped with five points, and the holy mountain Meneltarma in the center, which worhippers would ascend in silence to honor Eru-Ilúvatar.
However, over the centuries the Númenorians became jealous of the elves because they were not allowed to sail westwards, and fell from their faith in Eru. At the time we’re beginning our tale, the elves had ceased to come to Númenor from the island of Tol Eressëa. The population of Númenorians had split into two factions: the King’s Men, and the Faithful, the latter being reduced to one city and a handful of villages, governed by Lords of Andúnië, Lord Amandilhttp://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Amandil_(Lord_of_And%C3%BAni%C3%AB) being the last of them.

By the time the last king Ar-Pharazôn assumed the throne the despised Elf-friends were already relocated to the Eastern coast – as far as possible from the West and their elven friends, under constent surveillance by King’s Men. Think ghetto, and you will have it.
With the arrival of Sauron and the Númenorean nobility falling under his influence, the situation got even worse. They were persecuted, shunned, even sacrificed on altars made to worship Melkor. It was forbidden to even approach Meneltarma, the Holy Mountain, and the Faithful were even seen as dangerous heretics, only allowed to practice their faith in the city of Rómenna to where the Faithful were relocated. Their leader Amandil was forced to leave the King’s council by the rest of the nobility.
When the King under Sauron’s influence decided to attack Valinor, the Faithful saw it as the ultimate sacrilege and knew they had to leave for good.

It is my belief that they couldn’t have known that this step would be followed by the Valar relinquishing all their rights and powers over Arda to Eru, and the total destruction of the world as it was: Númenor sank into the sea, the earth was made round, and thus Valinor became inaccessible by sailing into the West – that was the Downfall of Númenor. It is written that only nine ships left for Middle-Earth, but there must have been many more Faithful in Rómenna than those who fit in those nine ships... There must have been many who refused to leave unwilling to abandon their homes, hoping that a better future could be achieved where they were. Perhaps they were too afraid of the unknown, perhaps they were married to somebody who didn’t share their faith, perhaps they had good business with other cities running. Who knows? Moreover, the preparations for the Flight must have happened in secrecy, right under the very noses of the King’s men.

I would like to begin the day before the ships left, to have tension in the air, the hopes, the doubts, the fears... To have the ships struggle through the terrible storm that swallowed their home and all those they left behind, and to arrive in a totally different world, populated mostly by a different kind of people. Should be fun!

I will be playing Eäruilion, one of the few ship captains still loyal to the Lord of Andúnië, sadly reduced mostly to fishing after sailing was limited by the King for the Faithful, as he prepares and commands one of the nine ships bound for Middle-Earth. I haven’t made a full profile on him yet, but I will do that! And it would be lovely if you did as well.

I would also like to avoid taking over the key characters like Elendil, Isildur, Anárion, using them mostly as NPCs.

Please PM me if you wish to join, and do make sure you are familiar with the historical background! Other than that, ideas regarding sub-plots, characters and their development are more than welcome.

Most importantly - this will be fun!

*Nif

[Edited on 10/30/2014 by Nifredil]
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Interesting! Good time period and subject matter for an RP!

Going by the story of Aldarion and Erendis in Unfinished Tales, there were likely some settlements and such from Numenor in Middle Earth. The port of Lond Daer is an example, and the extensive logging of Middle Earth for shipbuilding. I always wondered what happened to these Numenoreans that may have been in Middle Earth at the time of the Downfall.

Anyway, I digress. I myself will not have the time to commit to this RP, but I look forward to reading it!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
*salutes* I am very excited about this thread!

I will be playing Eärlossë ('sea-blossom'), Rui's sister. She works in an inn that used to belong to her parents but now is run by her aunt and uncle. Lissa is very much in the works right now, but suffice to say she loves adventure, is well-mannered and read, and may come off as a bit flighty. I don't want to give away too much now since that would ruin the fun of her character.

I also will be playing a ship-builder/repairer named Ciryatan. He does not have any development beyond that he is very hesitant about wanting to leave. I am working with some ideas so stay tuned to the thread where he will shortly be making an appearance. I look forward to writing with everyone!
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Here is one of my characters:

Altasir (Cenor)
Race: Númenórean
Height: 6" 2"
Family: His mother died of grief when his father and brother were sacrificed to Morgoth. He has no other family. Once he had a relationship with a fisherman's daughter but it ended when she was taken away for the sacrifices.
Animals: None
Weapons: Sword, knife in his boot, and fists.

Personality: Quick to follow orders, loyal, and ready to get into a fight. He often keeps to himself many people owe this to the loss of everyone that he loved. To be honest, this is true, he doesn't want to care about someone lest they too be taken for a sacrifice. He can swear like the best sailor and readily will unless a lady is present.

Appearance: Straight, stringy black hair that is cut right at his chin. Deep brown eyes that blaze when he is angry. Sea stained clothes. Often has a roguish smile for anyone he passes unless they are his enemies.

History:
When his father and brother were taken away for sacrifice his mother succumbed to grief. That year he signed up on a ship that year. A year later he returned and fell in love with a fisherman’s daughter named Tirissinquë. He left again when they took her away for sacrifices. He hates Sauron with a passion. He is counted among the Faithful though he worships in secret.

[Edited on 10/31/2014 by Cenor]
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
Hey all! I'll be playing the part of Arandur. He is a captain of the guard, and one of the Faithful. He holds honor and as well as compassion in high regard, believing it is his duty and calling to defend the weak and chooses his actions deliberately in order to best exemplify his moral code. Though he is one of the Faithful, he is married to a wife and father to a son who are devout followers of Melkor. He is yet unaware of any plot to flee Rómenna, and is beginning to feel trapped and doomed to burn on a pyre.

Hope to see you all there, this will be fun!
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Ni Nauc! Glad to have you with us!

Thank you all for joining, and let's begin the fun part!

So, this is the morning of the day we are to leave. We have until sunset to be on the ship called "White Seagull", arriving secretly and preferably not at the last moment. The same day the King is sailing West to Valinor, along with Sauron, leading the Great Aramament. So there must be much excitement regarding this fact among the King's Men, I imagine.

Nauc, have you planned to have the free place on the ship given to your character by somebody?

Arveleg is absolutely right regarding Numenorean settlements in Middle-Earth. There are a few ports and towns established - they had to have them in order to build two entire kingdoms, didn't they? You can't do that if you only have nine ships.

By the way - does somebody of you know the exact amount of ships commanded by each of the Lords? I remember reading about it, and it seems to me Elendil had four, Isildur three and Anárion two, but I might be wrong about this. Also, the Ring of Barahir, Narsil and the Sceptre of Annúminas must have been carried by Elendil, while Isildur kept the fruit of Nimloth the Fair which he had stolen some time before.

Am I right about this?
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
I'm interested in hopping in on this, but I'm at a bit of a loss character-wise. I'm open to suggestions while I continue to mull things over. Please feel free to PM me, or else Dinenlasse knows where to stalk me more effectively
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
It will be lovely to RP with you, Carandra! I've sent you a PM
In the Realm of Ulmo
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
A wonderful post, Cenor! You have created a lovely family
In the Realm of Ulmo
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email