Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Post High Sands (See OCC to Join)
on: November 04, 2014 04:01
Gareb gently moved a escaping sheep away from the entrance of the cave. Clucking to it softly he herded it back to the flock where several more sheep grazed on the sparse grass. Swinging his rod he jumped on a small rock and surveyed his group. Two new lambs frolicked around their mothers happily. He watched the still expecting ewes carefully making sure they did not wander away purposely to deliver their lambs. In the distance the sandy hills of Harad stretched far away, and nothing else greeted his eye except for the oasis where his village stood. The relentless sun beat down on the golden sand making it shine brilliantly. The day passed lazily, only the birth of a lamb distracted Gareb from his vigilance over the sheep. The sun hung red, glowing like a coal waiting to burn out. Gareb herded his sheep back into the family's pen, the two guard dogs, Sanga and Anga, lifted their heads in greeting as he pushed the sheep into the pen. After checking the new lamb he walked towards his family's tent.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
The sun was low on the horizon, creating a rainbow of reds and yellows, culminating in the scorched gold of the desert sand. Batul rode leisurely over the dunes. It had been good to get away for an hour or two, to let his muscles relax after a day in the blacksmith’s shop. He now felt rested, and ready for any form of excitement.
He rounded a dune to see Gareb’s tent, quiet and peaceful, basking in the gleam of the sunset. Gareb was there too, walking towards it, and Batul urged his horse to a trot so as to catch up with him.
"Enjoying yourself with the sheep again, are you?" he asked, reining in his horse as he came alongside of his friend. "Really, Gareb, you need to find a life. Will you come with me to the inn tonight, or will you be too busy, playing with your lambs?"
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Gareb smiled as his friend, well only friend besides the sheep, rode up. His shyness had made him different from the village, apart. But Batul had overlooked his weakness and had and still was, trying to pull Gareb into the villages' revalries. He frowned at Batul's suggestion.
"How busy will it be?" he gulped.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
"You tell me, when you get there," replied Batul, teasingly. "How should I know? I'm sure not too busy."
Nothing was too busy for Batul, except for the stream of customers that flowed in and out of his father's blacksmith shop, hurried and dull, wanting only to know how soon their horses could be shod, or their new sword forged. But the busyness of the inn was of another sort entirely.
It was a merry, raucous, exciting busyness. There was where he could find good ale, good food, and, most of all, good company. Batul could not understand why Gareb did not enjoy it as he did.
"Do come," he urged. "There won't be more than a few herders there, no doubt."
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"If you wish," Gareb replied defeated. "I'll go get Dancer."
He returned riding a black stallion, one of his father's best horses that he had raised from birth. The two friends started their horses towards the inn at a walk. But compatition surged through the blood of the two horses and their masters and they arrived at the inn at a gallop. They entered the inn breathles and laughing but Gareb stopped at the sight of other villagers.
"Are you sure about thiis Batul?"
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Batul glanced about the crowded inn. There were far more people there than he had expected, but that was all to the good.
"Of course!" he cried. "They won't hurt you."
Not giving his friend a chance to protest, he stepped into the crowd, shoving Gareb in front of him, to a table near the hearth.
"Two mugs of ale! And make it snappy!" he cried to the innkeeper as they sat down.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Batul shoved him into the crowded inn giving him no time to object. After the ale was delivered Gareb sipped it quietly.
"How is you blacksmith's work?" he asked.
From one side of the room an apparently drunken man stood up on a table and began shouting.
"Let us get rid of these blasted Gondorians!" he swayed, "Joining Sauron is the only way! The village needs to join the forces with the companies that march past every day!"
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
“The same…” replied Batul, sending an annoyed glance at the man.
Another man suddenly leapt to his feet. “He’s right!” he shouted, cutting Batul off. “The Gondorians must be eradicated!”
“What have the Gondorians done to us?” asked the elderly innkeeper quietly, setting mugs of ale on the tables with trembling fingers. “Why should we sacrifice our lives and the lives of our sons for another man’s war?”
“It’s not a question of what the Gondorians have done,” said one man, more sober than the first two. “It’s a question of what Lord Sauron will do. We have no choice in this matter.”
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"No we have no choice," a stranger said rising from the shadows far from the fire, "even now villages are being forced to give up their men to fight. They will be here any day to pick out your strong men and boys for battle."
"They?" stranger the soberer man asked.
"The Lords men are coming."
Gareb shrunk back into his chair and mummers ran through the inn.
"They will take those in their prime and young men, such as those two," the stranger pointed at Batul and Gareb.
"Where did you learn this stranger?"
"I have seen it," the man answered.
More whispers were passed around.
"Then march on Gondor we must," the sober man sighed.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email