Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I never said I was fine with people who stop posting in a role play, did I? I simply said if someone stops posting, the story continues without them. Ella, a very good role player, for example, has not been around in a long time. Did any role play she is in stop because she has not posted? No, the story continues on.

This forum is not titled *role writers*. It is called *role playing*.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I agree. Unless the RP is totally centered around the founder- there was one on CoE that I can think of- if a founding member drops out, it can be continued, as long as the story is strong.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:This forum is not titled *role writers*. It is called *role playing*.

Message received, LOUD and CLEAR. I don't need any help, there is no room for my opinion, and really don't feel like hanging out. Take care everyone.

Namarie
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Yes, I haven`t been around much lately . My mom got cancer in 2013, and after three surgeries, chemo and radiation, she declared terminal back in October and passed away on Nov. 29th. We spent a lot of time with her as things got worse, and now we`re busy trying to help dad adjust.
One of the biggest problems we`ve had with this forum is that its rare for an RP story to actually come to a finish. Usually few kids will join the site, get gung ho and join a bunch of threads, and then lose interest and leave after a little while, leaving all the threads incomplete.
Its been a constant problem and if you look at the threads going all the way back to the start of this site, it has always been a problem.
We have rule about machine gun posting, and it came about back in 2002 or 03,back when a bunch of young members were posting as much as 400 times in a week and it was impossible for the mods to keep up.
I have a bit more free time now, so I'll try to come around a lot more often.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Nice to see you PotbellyHairyFoot! I am so sorry to hear of the lose of your mother.

I just started Roleplaying this July, and really enjoy it. If I ever do have to leave a RP, I would like to have my character bow out for the sake of the other players.

It really depends on the RP as to whether it can survive the lose of members or not. If it is a well structured RP with a lot of story, it may not be able to continue if the thread master leaves. In that case the players could take the story in a different direction, but often it doesn't last very long. This is especially true of stories with only a few players (Darkest of Days, for instance). But it can sometimes still keep going nicely.

There are other roleplays however, that continue quite well when some players leave. This is especially true of those roleplays that have little story, or a story that can be changed at will. In those threads, all the players share the role of thread master (such, I believe, would be the case with Crossed Paths).

In the end, it mostly comes down to whether the rest of the players want to continue the story. Often 'where there's a will, there's a way'.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I am so sorry about your mom, PotbellyHairyfoot. Cancer has no bounds, no heart. All it does is take. I will send good thoughts to you and you family, especially your dad.

I cannot even imagine 400 posts in a week. Were they just a few lines each? Now that seems to be true machine gun posting.

Crossed Paths has endured and will continue to do so. We have no arrogance or sarcasm among us and we often discuss where our characters and the storyline is going. As you can see, by the number of posts, Crossed Paths has continued even when the story became stale. We are capable of going on even when players drop out without notice. We are not an elaborate role play...just a group of friends who are enjoying our journey in Middle-earth.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
PBHF, I am so sorry about the passing of your mother.

400 posts a week!? How senseless. How do you develop a story with such rapid development?

There have been many members who joined the site, began to RP, and then vanished. It happened twice in CP, I think.

Since we are on topic, PBHF, what is the protocol for closing an RP to more players? Do we declare the RP closed?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
I didn't know where else to post guys, but I'd really like to join an RPG with a character I'm designing, but even after reading all the (FORUM HELP) threads, I'm still confused! I'd like to join a Tolkien-based RPG, if there are any still running?
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
If you mean Totally Tolkien RPGs there are none running as of yet (I personally do not trust myself to one lol ). However you may get some players interested (even me) in one. Did you have any ideas? Perhaps you can tell us a bit about your character?
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
We would love to help!

Also, patience for everyone for me. My sister and I were just given a tablet, and I am not used to the smallerkeyboard yet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I believe Ilde is talking about joining a role play not starting one. Several role plays are active. There are 3 catagories,,,,Totally Tolkien (not active) Tolkien Related and Non Tolkien. There might be something that interests you. I think the Tolkien Related RP's are the most active.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
What kind of character are you thinking of?

[Edited on 01/19/2015 by Lindarielwen]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The NT threads were just recently re-opened at the end of August 2014. I think only one thread has been created there so far.

Tolkien Related means that elements fromTolkiens'works remain in the RP. Non Tolokien is just how it sounds...no elements of ME in it. The RP in there now is a historical fiction.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The NT threads were just recently re-opened at the end of August 2014. I think only one thread has been created there so far.

Tolkien Related means that elements fromTolkiens'works remain in the RP. Non Tolokien is just how it sounds...no elements of ME in it. The RP in there now is a historical fiction.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Well I'm thinking of joining a Tolkien-Related RP. My character is an elf called "Itarildë" (original, I know), from Rivendell. I'd write a massive description but I'll save that for the official bio

[Edited on 01/22/2015 by ItarildeSirfalas]
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Wherever you join, we will be glad to have you.

I created a thread a while back called Over Burnt Bridges. A few days ago, I closed that thread to new members. None of our current members in the RP complained, in fact, they found that it was a good idea!
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, I believe there comes a point when all the players are comfortable writing together. Introducing new people in the midst of the story can be very disrupting. But in the case of a RP with only a few members, having new folks join can be very good.

I hope I have not been the cause of disruption in any RP I have joined!

"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
I think I will stayin the 2 I've joined and leave it at that, and just hope the other members like my posts!

Thanks to those who've welcomed me to their RPs already

[Edited on 01/28/2015 by ItarildeSirfalas]
Image Image
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Crossed Paths certainly does not have just a few players. Let's see...Meri, Beri, Adonnenniel, Thurinlass, Eleniel, Harn, Ilyea, Irime, Itarilde, Linriel. oh, and not to mention the ones who sort of just disappeared...Ella, Fili, Legolas and Aragil. I hope I did not leave anyone out. Oh, Iellwen and Adien (?) as well. I think that is all of us.

Ha, I wrote our character names and not our council names. Wolfie playes two characters, the delightful Meri and Beri and Legolas23 also plays two, Ilyea and her yet to be named brother. Oh, I forgot...I also play Bildarion and two others, Tumion and Maldor and those two can be played by any who want to use them.

Song, it is good to have you with us and also you, Ilde, are most welcome.

Now, we just have to keep track of all of us
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Wow, there are a lot of us. And I have mentioned Eleniel's brother, Erudanien, and have played as Thranduil and Tauriel in some instances. Aslong as the character's can be kept together, there should not be a problem in the RP.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
(six weeks on.....)

Maybe I can revive this? I have a question for my fellow writers of RP...

I'm bringing this back up as I have been toying with the idea of adding some 1st person narrative to one of my characters in the Darkest of Days RP. It would 'phase' in after the character is mentioned in 3rd person narrative, and would 'phase' out back to 3rd person narrative before it was done. I think it may be a good way to express the thoughts and feelings of the character.

I would be interested in hearing opinions from other RP writers on this, whether you write in Darkest of Days or other RP tales.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Arveleg, that is a very interesting idea. I have done a bit of that in some of my posts, but never an entire section unless it was specified as the character's thoughts. It could add another dimension to the RP that is missed in third person. I say, why not try it out and see how it goes? It could easily get confusing if not done correctly, but the "fading" in and out might help.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I prefer first person,myself, and find that I write better and use more detail in that tense. It would be interesting to see how that progresses in a RP. I will have to try it.

I would also like to cordially invite all of you, my fellow RP Writers, to the Writers thread in the Prancing Pony forum. We do a variety of activities there, such as Prompt Monday, where I give a writing prompt that can be chewed on throughout the week. Then, we share the peices for comments. New days include Tech Wednesday, where a website or app usefuol to writers is written about, and UpdateThursday, where writers share their progress in their endeavors. Over the scope of a month, we aspire to write a certain amount of words to prepare for National Novel Writing Month in November. We also bounce ideas around off of each other,and help work through ideas.

I would love to see more of you there!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Eruwestiel_Evensong said:Arveleg, that is a very interesting idea. I have done a bit of that in some of my posts, but never an entire section unless it was specified as the character's thoughts. It could add another dimension to the RP that is missed in third person. I say, why not try it out and see how it goes? It could easily get confusing if not done correctly, but the "fading" in and out might help.

I have been involved in an RP that was written in 1st person by both writers, and though it worked, it was a bit awkward. I have saved that RP from another board, and am in the process of editing it into one continuous story, and it's hard to merge the two trains of thought into one smooth flowing, understandable tale. The problem is there has to be definite ways of marking which character is saying what, and with two writers' characters interacting in 1st person,there is a significant amount of concurrent overlap in posts.

I think 1st person thoughts and 3rd person interactions work best, but it can be confusing. I'm working on a way to distinguish a character's dialogue and thoughts, and how to best write the 1st person narrative.

I was just pondering throwing in some 1st thought paragraphs for my, and some NPC main characters. I will have to see what I think when I get to writing a post for it again I guess.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email