Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
Post Writing with Tengwar (in Windows)
on: November 16, 2014 11:29
If you want to write with Tengwar in your favourite word-processor, then you should follow these directions:

Step 1: download and install the MSKLC-program (this is a free add-on to MS-windows): http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22339

Step 2: download and install the Tengwar Telcontar Extended font: http://static.skynetblogs.be/media/219691/1006881932.zip
You have to open the zip-file and then double click on the 'tengelc ext.ttf' file that's inside. This will open the Windows Font Viewer. Choose Install Font at the top.

Step 3: download the keyboard definition files: http://static.skynetblogs.be/media/219691/1065896212.zip
You have to unzip the three definition files inside (there is one for Quenya, one for the full mode of Sindarin and one for the tehta mode of Sindarin).

Step 4: Open 'Quenya tehta.klc' in MSKLC. This shows the Tengwar keyboard for Quenya. You can view the definitions of the different keys (also have a look at the Shift and AltGr-keys).

Step 5: To use this keyboard choose: Project/Test keyboard layout... and move this empty window to the side so you can view the keyboard and the test window.
When you type in this test window, your keyboard temporary assumes it is the keyboard that is shown in MSKLC.
The keys that are in grey are the so called dead keys, they have to be followed by one of the vowels a, e, i, o, u or the top left key of your keyboard (this last one for when you don't want a tehta on your tengwa).
You should experiment a bit with the Shift-key, AltGr-key and vowels until you get the hang of it.

Step 6: Copy and paste the text of the Test-window to your word processor and don't forget to change the font of the pasted symbols into Tengwar Telcontar.

Good luck and have fun...

[Edited on 11/16/2014 by dirk_math]
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Good computer info there dirk. May have to give it a try just for fun.

Does anyone use calligraphy to write Tengwar? I used to. Taught myself using Tolkien's info in the Appendices.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
Arveleg, I prefer calligraphy, too

But it's very neat to be able to type Tengwar on the computer as well. There was a very easy to use macro for Word97, but since then I haven't looked seriously for a replacement. Thanks for these instructions, dirk_math! It looks a bit complicated to get MSKLC to work, but it's probably easier to use than it seems.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
A little explanation of the internal working of the Quenya version of the keyboard (but I assume you know how to use the Tengwar in writing Quenya, otherwise have a look at the Tengwar part of the Quenya course on this site).

The grey keys are so called 'active keys'. They represent the consonants of Quenya.
Those keys don't show anything when pressed by themselves as they wait for a following key.
If this following key is a vowel, they indeed put the correct tehta on that consonant.
If the consonant shouldn't have a vowel on it, then you should follow the consonant by the top left key on the keyboard (the one with a ~ on it on the US keyboard; a ° in the image below).

A little further explanation:
- the key with the R on it (rómen) is only used when you need a romen before a diphthong or a long vowel. Other rómens are automatically generated when you use 'r'
- the two keys to the left of it are only needed when writing about tengwar (making a course e.g.) as these tengwa are automatically generated when pressing the 's' or 'ss' keys
- kh represents the Quenya h before t (pronounced as the ch from the Scottish word loch)
- nd, ng, mb represent two sounds as d, g and b never appear as single consonants in Quenya

[Edited on 01/14/2015 by dirk_math]
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
And for completeness:
- the tengwar you get when pressing Shift (i.e. capitals)

- the tengwar you get when pressing Ctrl-Alt (or AltGr on some keyboards)
Luriel
Council Member
Send Message
Hantanyel.
Elen sila lumen omenti elvo.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email