Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Sarniel
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Goblin king (the Hobbit)
on: November 27, 2014 08:27
Was anyone else extremly disappointed by the Goblin king in the Hobbit?
I found him to be completly different from what I had imagined while reading the book. He was supposed to be a big creature with a huge head, but from what I could tell it was more huge melting double chin.
He seemed nothing like a fearsome giant goblin to me.
In the movie he is played by Barry Humphries.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I thought that his voice was off. It was too elegant for someone who has been hanging out in the mountains for ages. I thought it was spot on for his very first line, and then by the time he got to "Spies? Thieves? Assassins?" it was much too squeaky. But at least we have a movie.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I must say he wasn't exactly what I expected! I find him more funny that scary, rather hilarious in fact! I laugh every time I see him singing, especially in the extended scene of AUJ. He certainly doesn't seem a fearsome goblin king to me either, Sarniel. & Maxie, I'd never thought about his voice before but now that you mention it, it is rather elegant for a goblin, which I thought were supposed to be rather uncouth and vile creatures. So that's my two-cents worth!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I just asked my sister her thoughts, since I clicked into this thread. And she said, "I didn't expect him to be so big, compared to all of the other goblins!"
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Sarniel
Council Member
Send Message
I wasn't sure what you meant about the voice, but I went to check on Youtube and you're completly right, it just doesnt fit! I guess I was to distracted by the appearance to even notice the voice was off.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
This is a bit off-topic but I also find the goblin king's scribe rather humorous. He reminds me of the cupid in Tangled.
His appearance certainly is distracting! I don't think I expected him to be quite that big either.
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes. Far too elegant for such a creature.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
Well, elegant isn't really the right word......un-goblin like maybe? I mean, he is dirty!

"I am burdened with glorious purpose"

Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I also found his voice to be too elegant for a creature like him. I thought it should have been more....scratchy.

I was very disappointed, after waiting months for the EE, that so much time was given to the Goblin King singing. Those extra minutes could have been better spent.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
A gigantic "Blob-" goblin - one of PJ's worse misses. And yes, the voice makes it even worse. And as far as the extension of the cinema version in the EE (not the appendices), AuJ was far and away the worst of the five which have been released so far. Actually, blobby's singing etc. was about par for the course for the waste of the few extra minutes in AuJ EE - the rest was hardly better, if at all.
Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin said:And yes, the voice makes it even worse. And as far as the extension of the cinema version in the EE (not the appendices), AuJ was far and away the worst of the five which have been released so far

Personally, I prefer the EE of AUJ to the EE of DOS. AUJ has lots of character building for the dwarves, more Rivendell footage ( ), and just ends up being a more rounded out and amazing movie than the theatrical version.
Back on topic, elegant? I would not have described the Goblin king's voice that way. More like 'disgusting '
May it be when darkness falls, your heart will be true..
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Hmm, I thought there was something odd about the Great Goblin, but I would have described it as a bizarre comicalness, not an excess of elegance. And he is disgusting beyond belief. Disgusting does not equal scary for me, in fact my fave villains the Nazguls, are quite "wholesome" compared.

(I'll also stick up for AUJ EE.)
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Estelanor Of The Shire said:... AUJ has lots of character building for the dwarves, ...

I agree with you on this entirely - it's just that I consider PJ's characterization of the Dwarves to be pretty much as bad as his Blob-Goblin. Gimli in LoTR the movie is far too much on the comic relief side for his character, but compared to a lot of Thorin's company he is a grim warrior. The culminating battle of the War of the Dwarves and Orcs in AuJ (flashback before the party reaches Rivendell) and Dain Ironfoot's hacking away at the Orcs in the battle in BoFA come closer to my idea of JRRT's Dwarves, relentless fighters (and NO, NOT using a slingshot!!!!!).
Image More like this, sort of ...

[Edited on 06/23/2015 by Gandolorin]
Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message
Gandolorin said
it's just that I consider PJ's characterization of the Dwarves to be pretty much as bad as his Blob-Goblin. Gimli in LoTR the movie is far too much on the comic relief side for his character, but compared to a lot of Thorin's company he is a grim warrior. The culminating battle of the War of the Dwarves and Orcs in AuJ (flashback before the party reaches Rivendell) and Dain Ironfoot's hacking away at the Orcs in the battle in BoFA come closer to my idea of JRRT's Dwarves, relentless fighters (and [b]NO, NOT
using a slingshot

Okay, Ori's slingshot was kind of -well, not what I would expect from a dwarf warrior. But I think that a lot of the dwarves were actually serious warriors, but with a fun loving and unruly side as well. Thorin is usually pretty grim (notice he doesn't join in the rough housing PLUS he has table manners!!!), as is Dwalin. I thought the dwarves came across as really tough and relentless, and showing them goofing off and acting non-serious (as in Rivendell) only made them seem more real. Before the Hobbit movies and book, I never would have thought of dwarves as a noble race of tough warriors. Anyway, I liked Sir Jackson's portrayal of the dwarves.

Add a party hat, and I think that fits
[Edited on 06/24/2015 by Estelanor Of The Shire]
I should add that I didn't think much of Bombur fighting just with cooking gear; a little too comic for me

[Edited on 06/24/2015 by Estelanor Of The Shire]
May it be when darkness falls, your heart will be true..
Hobbits2Isengard
Council Member
Send Message
I actually found the voice kind of fitting, it seemed to give him ... I dunno, more of an evil intelligence? than the rest of the goblins. But he shouldn't have been made to look like a giant blob, a little more war-like might've been better.
I couldn't stand his singing in the EE though, I always find that a bit hard to watch.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email