Register

Author Topic:
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Post The Hobbit: The Battle Of Five Armies. What did you think? [SPOILER ALERT]
on: December 14, 2014 08:24
SPOILERS

A thread to discuss the final Hobbit film and, probably, the last film of Middle Earth.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I have lots of thoughts & opinions about the movie!
First, I found the whole episode in Dol Goldur with Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond, & Sauron quite confusing and also unnecessary. I really don't understand what goes on in between Gandalf and Galadriel; she is married to the one of the best elves ever, Celeborn (second only to Thranduil in my opinion), so I don't understand her thing for Gandalf. Can anyone explain this? I would be more ok with it if Celeborn was there too and the more romantic stuff was taken away.
Also, a companion quaintly put it that there were a lot of holes left: What happened to Tauriel after Kili died? What happened with Thranduil? And is it just me, or did PJ completely leave out the fact that Dain Ironfoot became King of Erebor? BTW I thought he was pretty cool, although frustrating because he doesn't like the Elvenking. However, that accent and riding a huge pig is totally cool and funny.
Yes, I shed tears when Fili and Kili died & can't hardly think about it without crying. I really wanted Tauriel and Kili to kiss while he was still alive, although I appreciate that PJ didn't try to make a sappy soap opera out of everything. I admit I hoped he'd kill somebody else of instead of those two, even though I know both died in the books.
Alfrid (I believe that's how his name is spelled; please correct me if I'm wrong!) was totally hilarious! I especially enjoyed the part where he dressed as a woman and had that interaction with Bard. He's such a wimpy character that he's funny.
I know this is a lot; sorry! Overall, I enjoyed it, but as I said some parts were entirely unnecessary & I do not like the gaps left in it.
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Condall
Council Member
Send Message
BlueberryMuffins76 said:I have lots of thoughts & opinions about the movie!
First, I found the whole episode in Dol Goldur with Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond, & Sauron quite confusing and also unnecessary. I really don't understand what goes on in between Gandalf and Galadriel; she is married to the one of the best elves ever, Celeborn (second only to Thranduil in my opinion), so I don't understand her thing for Gandalf. Can anyone explain this? I would be more ok with it if Celeborn was there too and the more romantic stuff was taken away.
Also, a companion quaintly put it that there were a lot of holes left: What happened to Tauriel after Kili died? What happened with Thranduil? And is it just me, or did PJ completely leave out the fact that Dain Ironfoot became King of Erebor? BTW I thought he was pretty cool, although frustrating because he doesn't like the Elvenking. However, that accent and riding a huge pig is totally cool and funny.
Yes, I shed tears when Fili and Kili died & can't hardly think about it without crying. I really wanted Tauriel and Kili to kiss while he was still alive, although I appreciate that PJ didn't try to make a sappy soap opera out of everything. I admit I hoped he'd kill somebody else of instead of those two, even though I know both died in the books.
Alfrid (I believe that's how his name is spelled; please correct me if I'm wrong!) was totally hilarious! I especially enjoyed the part where he dressed as a woman and had that interaction with Bard. He's such a wimpy character that he's funny.
I know this is a lot; sorry! Overall, I enjoyed it, but as I said some parts were entirely unnecessary & I do not like the gaps left in it.

This is pretty much exactly how I felt. I enjoyed the movie immensely, but felt there were a lot of areas that went without being addressed that you mentioned like Tauriel, Dain, etc. I'm not a romantic guy and call me crazy but I actually kind of enjoyed the Tauriel/Kili thing even though it wasn't in the books and Tolkien probably would have wanted a drink after seeing it. One thing that did irritate me was how Fili was kind of shoved off to the side. When he died it wasn't a big deal but when Kili and Thorin died it was a spectacle.

Only thing I disagree with you on is Alfrid. Thought he was a poor man's Grima Wormtongue. Don't understand why his character was so heavily featured.
"No goodbye lasts forever" - Anonymous
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I love Fili! He is definitely the better man as far as the brothers are concerned. I think his death affected me the same as Kili's; I did not even realize until you mentioned it that they really did make out that his death wasn't a big deal. I both enjoy and dislike the thing between Kili and Tauriel; I just wish he could have lived!
I do agree that Alfrid is rather like Wormtongue except he's far less cunning and willing to destroy the lives around him; Alfrid only cares for preserving his own life. I do not think he was even in the book, or if so he was not that big of a deal. Either way, at least he provided some humor among my tears!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Condall
Council Member
Send Message
My problem with a lot of these "purists" is that they just can't seem to be happy. You get a chance to experience Middle-Earth. Take it for what it is and enjoy it! Tauriel and Kili were certainly an odd pairing but it added character to the Dwarven company and brought an interesting plot and perspective. I suppose you could say the same thing about Alfrid, but I only thought he had one or two amusing parts in the film personally.

It would have been interesting to see the brothers live, even though it wasn't going to happen at any point because their deaths are such a big part of the books. I wonder how Kili's relationship with Tauriel would have panned out honestly.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
I am generally very suspicious about non-cannon things - until I see tha they work. And the romance between Kili and Tauriel did work. It was one of my greatest fears to see it turned into your typical Hollywood love-action, but I am very happy that my fears were not justified. It was actually very beautiful!

I was not convinced about the choice of mounts of both Kings - Elk for Thranduil, and Boar for Dain... until I saw them in action. I was justified very well! And Alfrid was a very welcome comic relief. I especially liked that in the end Bard just let him go with all that money. The man hadn't purposefully hurt anyone, he was just a very greedy coward with quite an imagination and an strong instinct for survival!

I was angry with Thranduil, I must confess. "Your mother loved you very much." COME ON!!! And what about yourself?! You're just letting your son leave, like that?
Grrrrrr......
Although I understand he had lost his wife in a very bad way, and it had cost the elf very much. Probably it affected his ability to express his feelings. Maybe even to feel out of fear for loss. That is how I explain his cruelty towards Tauriel when he questions her resolve to die for her love - I imagine it was a kind of measure he uses that proves the validity of one's feelings (maybe from his own experience). And later he admits Tauriel's love had been real. Actually, that is the most personal conversation I remember him having with anyone. Does he recognize her grief as something that they have in common?
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
you all know that, unlike my favorite character Thranduil, I am not patient and cannot wait, and a hundred years is certainly not a mere blink in my life.

So I read reviews. And I read what you said on here. I will be seeing the movie in a week and a half.

To be honest, even though this is going to be a difficult film for me to watch, I am glad that they stuck to the book and killed Thorin, Fili, and Kili. In one review I read, I saw that Dain Ironfoot says some... I will call it "language?" Did any of you catch it? It does not bother me to hear such words as those- I hear worse in school every day- but I am not sure what to make of that. It seems very non- Middle Earth to me to have the words he said in the film.

I hope that it will be everything I hoped. I eagerly await seeing it!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Well, I have a fanfic coming up where Fili & Kili survive but renounce the throne, so you can see how the relationship with Tauriel pans out! I understand it's a big part of the book, but I'd really have been ok with exchanging them for some other dwarves (but not Bofur, Balin, or Gloin). Someone told me that they think the elf-dwarf relationship takes away from Gimli & Legolas's friendship later on; it's an interesting thought anyway.
No, Maxie, I didn't notice any language from Dain, but I could have either ignored it or not noticed it because I was so enthralled with his accent & interested to see him riding a pig; I totally didn't expect that one! He's a pretty cool guy, although his words about Thranduil upset me lol & speaking of him, I do think at the end he finally recognized his own grief over his wife and knew he could help Tauriel through hers because he'd been through the same thing. That part made him even more precious! I think he let Legolas go because he knew his son was not happy in Mirkwood & needed to explore the world; not allowing him to go could have just deepened their relationship troubles. I thought that was one of the most manly things he did, although I admit I'm kind of biased because he's my number 1 favorite character in the movies!
Sarniel
Council Member
Send Message
After seeing the movie yesterday, here are my 2cents too:
I thought it was much better than DoS, which I found unnecessarily long and a bit absurd at times, since I dislike the feeling of not knowing what is going on storywise even if I have read the book it is supposedly based on many times. So after DoS, I had very low expectations, I though PJ would continue to slaughter most of the Middle Earth, both figuratively and literally since H3 is about a huge battle. But the Battle of Five Armies surprised me in a good way, they somehow managed to make the horrible Tauriel-Kili thing work, which I never expected them to pull off, and they tied up some of the loose ends (although there are still too many gaps left, even just in PJ's version of the story, let alone the original one).

But I do have one major complaint: the Legolas action scenes. I mean come on, we've already had him jumping around at super speed in DoS, and now suddenly gravity doesnt apply to Middle Earth anymore. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy a good humorous fighting scene as much as anyone else, but some parts of H3 were just pushing it a bit too far for my taste, Legolas and his ridiculous ninja moves managed to diminish the significance of the other individual battles, specially Thorin's final battle, which should have been an important act was a lot less spectacular than the aged (lets face it, no amount of make up can cover up the difference in his appearance) Orlando Bloom jumping upwards on falling rocks etc.
All that just put me off, since Legolas is not even part of the original story, although they managed to incorporate him quite well, until he turned into a superhero.

Also, has anyone noticed how the dwarves were made clumsy in comparison to the eleves? At first I did not mind it, since the eleves are supposed to be all organised and disciplined, but in DoS and now in BoFA as well, it almost seemed as though everything they managed to achieve was purely coincidential, as though they just stumbled upon things and they somehow sorted themselves out.

All that said, I quite enjoyed the movie, no matter how many faults I can find it is still a return to the Middle Earth and I have to hand it to PJ, he always makes it look so beautiful with all the vivid details that make it seem so real. I just wish he'd pay as much attention to the story. I also loved the final scene with Lobelia and the spoons, and how they tied the Hobbit to the LOTR movies.

P.S: I didnt not feel the scenes between Galadriel and Gandalf had any romantic elements in them, to me it felt like more of a deep companionship.

Oh, I also loved Thorin's descent into gold-lust!

[Edited on 12/20/2014 by Sarniel]

[Edited on 12/20/2014 by Sarniel]
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
We had a discussion among my friends about Legolas and his batlte scenes as well, and we came to one conclusion: that is Legolas. One thing that is ever constant, is his innovative battle technique. In every movie he comes up with somethig that leaves all of us open-mouthed. And we decided to leave it at that It is Legolas.

I disagree on dwarves being clumsy. I was in awe at their coordinated battle maneuvres which I had not expected, and they were shown as ferocious warriors. And you need to keep in mind they are quite a bit shorter than the other races.

My major complaint is about sending the main team in battle without any head protection, with their hair loose etc. Every time Thorin takes a swing at his opponent, that gorgeous hair of his is all over his face and in his eyes. And being a full head shorter than your enemy makes one want to cover their head with some kind of protection. As if the audience would be unable to recognize its heroes even with their helmets on? Oh well, Hollywwod...
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I got so involved in everything else that now, after a few days, I can finally step back and see a bit more. I also found the Legolas action scenes totally unrealistic, but yes that is typical movie Legolas. I am not a big fan of his (his father is so much better!), so those scenes were just cheesy to me. Sure, Middle Earth is different that our planet, but I think Tolkien meant it to be similar.
I do not think the dwarves are clumsy either; it is likely the size difference, and they should be more stocky than elves or men and therefore will not look quite as graceful, especially when compared to elves. I thought they all fought bravely and showed they were not about to lose that huge battle.
I didn't even think about head protection! I think the elf army was the only one who had it, but Thranduil didn't have a helmet (maybe so we can gush over his gorgeous hair? Which happens to be perfect & never gets in his way, unlike us poor real life people). They all really should have had something, possibly with Bard and the rest of the men being the exceptions because there really didn't seem to be that much in the way of weapons or armor available to them.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
To be honest there were a lot of things in the movie that left me feeling very confused. What was the significance of Angmar? Smaug's death felt almost too quick and over too soon. I was really wondering why they didn't make a big spectacle of burying Thorin with the Arkenstone and Orcrist along with Fili and Kili. I thought for sure that would be a major emotional scene. They never showed what happened to the Arkenstone. What happened to Dain becoming king? What happens to Tauriel? Is she still exiled?

[Edited on 12/21/2014 by starofdunedain]

[Edited on 12/21/2014 by starofdunedain]
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I was unclear on all that as well! Angmar, was that where they said Thranduil's wife died? I've been trying to figure that out. I'm really hoping the extended version will give more details; was it just me, or did this one seem shorter than the others?
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
I do not think Tauriel is still banished. I think Thranduil is truly broken and penitent after everything that happens. I think he will take her home. It looked to me like they made a connection at the end (not romantic, just relational).

One thing I really appreciated was that evil is presented as so bad, so malicious, so ugly and horrifying, there is nothing appealing about it. I have gotten really tired of seeing evil being made to look attractive, fascinating, ect, when really it should make us disgusted and repulsed, which is how I feel when I see these.
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
I keep hoping to see all those loose ends tied and explanations provided when the extended edition comes out.
I think they tried to introduce Angmar to try and create the feeling that the danger and the evil is far greater and worse than anybody expected up until then. And perhaps to try and tie the story to other periods of Middle-earth's history.
In the Realm of Ulmo
Sarniel
Council Member
Send Message
I also have a feeling the burials will be featured in the extended version, it is just too big a moment for Jackson not to cash in, since everyone loves an emotional scene.

As for Angmar, I think that was one of the attempts to convey more of Middle Earth's history, as PJ had been promising since they had begun filming the Hobbit, though I think in reality, he used this promise to make the films longer i.e. earn more money and open for questions he'll have to answer in another movie if he ever gets the rights to film it. The way I saw it, they had to put Legolas somewhere meaningful, so they sent him to the border of Angmar and there he could have his own emotional scene about his mother, and if they could send Tauriel along even better, to justify her presence even more (and the movie is that much longer, again). I do wish they had spent some extra time explaning a bit more about Angmar while they were at it, since Tauriel does ask what it was and they had the perfect opportunity to elaborate.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I know! The burials are way too big to leave out like that; I find it so strange that they weren't really included.
& yes, that would have been the perfect place to elaborate of Legolas's mom. I want to know what happened to her so badly! I've looked up Angmar & I really can't figure out why she would have been there, much less how she died there. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. If anyone else can explain it, please do!
However, I still think BotFA was much shorter than I expected, so EE will hopefully have so much more than previous EE's.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
This one was shorter, 144 minutes opposed top 166 and 169.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Those of you who know me, know that I love the movies before I even see them.

I went to see H3 on Sunday and I saw it twice! My friend took me to see it a second time so I could see what I missed the first time because I kept falling asleep.

At this time, I cannot honestly say I liked the movie. My reasons? I still have to think about that. Too many loose ends for one.

My fave part? At the end, when Legolas was leaving and his father told him to go North. North to the Dunedain to find a Ranger that goes by the name of Strider.

Sad that my favourite part was something Jackson made up.

Maybe I will go see it again....and take some 5 Hour Energy with me.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, Maxie! It felt much shorter; of course, everyone knows I hoped for more Thranduil & not having him on as much made it shorter (lol).
Lindarielwen, I'm going to see it a second time as well! Perhaps I'll understand it better the second time around. I truly enjoyed it, but like everyone else has noticed there are definitely many pieces to the puzzle that appear to be missing.
My most favorite part is definitely something PJ made up: when Thranduil offers his words of comfort to the grieving Tauriel. He shot way up on my like list after that much-too-short moment of total preciousness! (& Yes, I also like that Legolas was sent to find Aragorn.)
My least favorite part was the whole scene at Dol Goldur; it was so weird, and Galadriel was rather scary, almost like she possessed the Ring! I just don't get that at all.
Sarniel
Council Member
Send Message
Galadriel was like a weird glowing zombie there. I figured they were trying to reference the scene from FoTR where she is resisting the temptation of the One Ring, but they went a tad too far. It just looked ridiculous.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
I finally got to see the Battle of the Five armies as it just came out in Australia today. I agree with most of you on how there is to many loose ends.
Also missing was Bilbo being named Elf friend by Thranduil (I haven't read the book in a while so I may be wrong).

BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, you are right about the elf-friend; I did not see that either. I'm watching it again in a couple of days & will double-check, but I really think they left that out. I think that's an important (& precious, because of Thranduil lol) moment & sure hope the EE gives it too us.
CarolP
SuperMom hobbit
Send Message
I was disappointed. Some of it was just ridiculous, and much of it was confusing. The large focus on Legolas and his battling took away from the rest of the battles. I enjoyed the beginning and the ending, and the song during the credits.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
You're right, L_S
"And I name you elf-friend and blessed. May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)! Farewell!" - Thranduil
Amazing how much of the book was left out, considering there were three three hour movies.

Maybe the EE version should be shorter.
belldoras
Council Member
Send Message
I have seen the movie three times. First in 2D and twice in 3D, both dimensions were very good the 3D having that extra edge over 2D.

I did not go into the movie thinking about the book, I went to enjoy a movie and got my money's worth.

Good to hear that they toned the music down and allowed the audience to actually hear the actors speak their lines, good scripts make for good movies and I certainly felt this way about the film.

To me Thorin Oakenshield held a majestic elegance after he cast off the crown from his head and came to his senses and lead his team out to battle(so kingly). the main actors played their roles to the hilt and are deserving of any awards that may come their way.

Only one negative-typical when there is lots of battles-having to endure violence. I hope they tone it down in the EE and give way to cuts that should go in.

Amon Amarth
Council Member
Send Message
I'm still not entirely certain how I feel about the movie yet. It almost seemed like for every really incredible part, there was a huge letdown associated with it. For example, I will openly admit I cried when Thorin died, but the battle with Azog leading up to it was SSSOOOOO drawn out. On another hand, the actual battle was pretty impressive, but I was really let down by the portrayal of Dain. I didn't like that he was there for comic relief just by having an accent and being rude to the Elves! It didn't seem like his demeanor was fitting of a Longbeard… But I digress! Legolas was cool in that he was tasked to go find Strider, and I liked seeing Angmar, but his battle scenes were over the top. They were still pretty crazy in Lord Of The Rings, but they were almost inexcusable here. On a positive note, I LOVED the destruction of Laketown/the death of Smaug. Very good scene! I might have to go see it again with a less critical eye, and see if I like it more.
"Don't fear the eyes of the Dark Lord/ Morgoth I cried/ All hope is gone but I swear revenge/ Hear my oath/ I will take part in your damned fate." --- Blind Guardian, "The Curse Of Fëanor"
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
Things I liked- Music, landscape, Thorin being majestic (Richard Armitage did a good job portraying the dragon sickness), Bard (dragon slayer, and best non-Elf archer in the film), Galadriel showing up and being awesome, the Gandalf rescue scene, Thranduil in general, Bilbo being brave, the final scene in the Shire/ Bag End.

Things I didn't like- Killing off Fili too soon, him not being really mourned, the love triangle, Legolas being lord of gravity (yeah, he can be cool, but that was ridiculous), Kili dying for an elf, certain scenes being way too similar to the Siege of Gondor.
"The King beneath the mountains, The King of carven stone, The lord of silver fountains Shall come into his own! His crown shall be upholden, His harp shall be restrung, His halls shall echo golden To songs of yore re-sung. The woods shall wave on mountains And grass beneath the sun; His wealth shall flow in fountains And the rivers golden run. The streams shall run in gladness, The lakes shall shine and burn, All sorrow fail and sadness At the Mountain-king's return!"
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
You know, the second time I watched it I found Thorin's death scene very similar to Boromir's death scene. I suppose it was sweet, although Bilbo being sick at Thorin's wounds was kind of funny (which I don't think it was meant to be, & shouldn't be). However, I think it sort of took away from the nobility of Thorin's death to have just him and Bilbo instead of waiting until the battle was over.
I agree that Fili was killed too soon, although I'll be the first to admit that any time for that to happen is totally tragic.
Has anyone else noticed how graceful Smaug's death scene was? I commented after my second time that he was almost like a butterfly when the light left his eyes and he glided towards the ground.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:My fave part? At the end, when Legolas was leaving and his father told him to go North. North to the Dunedain to find a Ranger that goes by the name of Strider.

I know I've read a comment on this bit, must have been in a realms thread. This comment of mine relies purely on arithmetic (grade school stuff).

*AHEM!* Image

RoTK, Appendix B, The Tale of Years

TA 2941: BoFA;
TA 2931: Aragorn (II) son of Arathorn II born on March 1st.

so

a) Aragorn is 10 years old at the end of BoFA;
b) he is given the Name Strider by Barliman Butterbur, innkeeper of the Prancing Pony in Bree at the time of WotR (see CoE in the book);
c) for the sake of argument I would guess that BB of B is about 30 years younger than Aragorn (who is 87 in 3018 );
d) again for the sake of argument let us assume that BB of B took over as innkeeper at the young age of 20 (having been active in diverse supporting roles for at least 10 years - not unusual in a family enterprise even recently - perhaps even now);
e) so assuming 50-year-old Aragorn met 20-year-old BB of B in the Prancing Pony and was given the name Strider by him right off, this is 40 years in the future from BoFA;
f) so Thranduil must have had quite a bit of foresight, meaning
g) he knew it would take Legolas several decades to complete his quest to find someone called "Strider".

Uh-huh. Image
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
Things that need to happen in the Extended Edition-

Thorin/ Dwalin vs 100 Orcs.
The funeral of the King Under the Mountain, with one of the Elves leaving Orcist.
The Company/ Iron Hill Dwarves mourning Fili and Kili.
Dain becoming the new King of Erebor.
"The King beneath the mountains, The King of carven stone, The lord of silver fountains Shall come into his own! His crown shall be upholden, His harp shall be restrung, His halls shall echo golden To songs of yore re-sung. The woods shall wave on mountains And grass beneath the sun; His wealth shall flow in fountains And the rivers golden run. The streams shall run in gladness, The lakes shall shine and burn, All sorrow fail and sadness At the Mountain-king's return!"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I really liked this movie and I have a theory on the weird Galadriel thing.

The White Council consists of those who bear the Three Elven Rings. I believe Narya, though the first Ring, was the weakest and only gave Sauron some "bruises." Nenya the second Ring and the second most powerful, gave Sauron such a "beating" (plus I think Galadriel's face scared him). Sauron, afraid that the third Ring, Vilya and Elrond could send him back to the Void, thus he fled to Mordor.

Who else loved the pig, rams, and elk?
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Condall
Council Member
Send Message
I saw the movie a second time and liked it better. That tends to be what happens with myself and the Hobbit movies. I get irritated at bits and pieces because I am after all, a diehard Tolkien fan. But seeing them a second time allows me to enjoy it for what it is, a chance to experience Middle Earth in a way few thought possible. Now I just need to go to New Zealand!

I'm also very excited for the extended edition as I feel like it will tie some of the loose ends that I got frustrated with.
Blueberry, I'm looking forward to your fanfic!
Sarniel
Council Member
Send Message
Condall, I agree, I liked it better the second time as well for the same reasons, although that only holds true for #1 and #3 for me, I still dont like #2.

Also,I dont necessarily agree with your theory Cenor, because the rings each had a unique trait they were meant to be used for (i.e. Nenyarotection and preservation, Naryaersuasion of others,inspiring courage, I forget what Vilya's strength was but anyway), so I'd say the wearer's strength played a major role in the banishing of Sauron from Dol Guldur. Since Galadriel was known to be one of the strongest Elves in the Middle Earth, the ring probably just enhanced her powers some more, forcing Sauron to flee or be destroyed. As it is not mentioned in the books how that happened, except for the White council being part of it, PJ probably concluded Galadriel would have been the strongest one (Gandalf was at the time the Grey, that is lower in rank, and Saruman, even though he was the head of the order, I never fully gathered from the books how powerful he was really supposed to be, I percieved his powers more as an ability to influence others, as the power of his voice is often mentioned, though he must have had some magical powers as well, and well, I always figured Elrond's strenght lay less in actual raw power than in wisdom). That is just my take on it anyway.

And yes, I loved the elk, but I found the pig a bit ridiculous, I mean, it went well with the actor, but I found the entire potrayal of Dain a bit off, he seemed like a cheap comical relief to me.

P.S.:Happy new year to all of you!
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
Dain reminded me of the Gimli comic relief from The Two Towers a bit. Not as much though, and I liked him. The pig steed was silly though.

It made sense that Galadriel was the one to banish Sauron, as she was also the one who took down that tower later. I agree, I think her ring enhanced her powers.

[Edited on 12/31/2014 by MeliaStormcrow]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email