Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I am very interested to read everyone's opinions on the movie. I have not seen it yet, but I hope to comment soon.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I want to see it again. My friend said he will take me back...I will stay awake. I waited, I counted the days for this movie to come out and what do I do? I fall asleep.

Maybe my mind made me not like the movie to keep me from crying my heart out when it ended.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Bring coffee with you to the cinema!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
Go to a matinee?
"The King beneath the mountains, The King of carven stone, The lord of silver fountains Shall come into his own! His crown shall be upholden, His harp shall be restrung, His halls shall echo golden To songs of yore re-sung. The woods shall wave on mountains And grass beneath the sun; His wealth shall flow in fountains And the rivers golden run. The streams shall run in gladness, The lakes shall shine and burn, All sorrow fail and sadness At the Mountain-king's return!"
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
We went to the first showing...10am. Got charged 8 dollars for a small bag of popcorn..that alone should have kept me up with the shock of it. It only cost six dollars to see the movie.

I look forward to hearing what you think of it, Maxie.

Well, I will see it again in about two weeks. I am sure I will like it the third time around.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The matinee here costs the amount of your popcorn does there, Lindarielwen.

I have hear many different things about the film. I am sure I will love it anyways.
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
The theater where I used to live charges 6 dollars for a matinee, but I saw movie three for 8 dollars.
"The King beneath the mountains, The King of carven stone, The lord of silver fountains Shall come into his own! His crown shall be upholden, His harp shall be restrung, His halls shall echo golden To songs of yore re-sung. The woods shall wave on mountains And grass beneath the sun; His wealth shall flow in fountains And the rivers golden run. The streams shall run in gladness, The lakes shall shine and burn, All sorrow fail and sadness At the Mountain-king's return!"
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
If you go before noon here, it is $6 and goes up from there ending at $18 for a 9:00 movie. Guess who always goes before noon? Add an extra $4 for 3D.

Did anyone see H3 in 3D? I saw it in regular.
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
Haven't seen any of the Hobbit movies in 3D, as I prefer to only watch animated movies in that format. Yeah, my former theater had the $6 before noon.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
My sister and I are considering sucking it up and paying $35 each for IMAX 3D. We will see what happens. The both of us have upcoming birthdays, so we may get tickets for that as a gift.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Wow! That's expensive! I paid $11.50, I believe, for 3D Desolation of Smaug last year, & this was for the premiere midnight showing. But it wasn't IMAX. I honestly didn't think it was worth the extra money, which is part of why I didn't bother with 3D for BotFA. But that does sounds like a fabulous present!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, Maxie, $35 to see a movie? Make that $70 if you and your sister go. I have never been to an IMAX theater but I have seen 3D. Still, $35? I will not try to talk you out of it so if you go, I hope it is a wonderful experience for you.

PSK
Council Member
Send Message
I still haven't seen it!!!! I am crying right now.
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
I went to see it on the opening evening here in Leeds with my boyfriend and it cost both of us together around £18 ($27) to watch in 3DHFR (high frame rate).

I have to say, although I enjoyed the film in itself, watching it in HFR was the worst decision we ever made. The CGI looked terrible and so fake, and because the movement was so quick, it looked like we were just watching the 'behind the scenes' footage or a British soap-opera, rather than an actual movie. It just didn't look 'movie-finished'. It completely distracted me, and almost ruined it for me.

I would advise all to not watch it HFR. 3D yes, but HFR most certainly not. It doesn't look or feel right. I didn't get immersed like I usually do. I don't usually watch it in 3D, but as it was the same price, we said, why not? Not realising it was in HFR, and then we realised.

Other than that, I was so excited to see it, and it was great! I can't wait for the boxset to come out so I can watch it again!

I'm pretty sure Netflix will start giving me limits on how many times I can watch the first two Hobbit films soon...
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Lol Sirf (can I call you that?)

I just now remembered my first complaint about BotFA.

Did anyone think that the Elve's armor was too Haradrimish?
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
If you mean me, my nickname I tend to prefer is Ilde, but Sirf works

Hmm I see what you mean by their armour, but they used the Elven colours, so it's less obvious... and shiny haha.
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Since there has been a lot going on in my life right now, Claire (my sister) and I decided to be first in line to buy the DVD. We will watch it then.
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
The theater is too far away from my house now. So I will likely only be able to see it again when I get the DVD. (Still need to get the soundtrack for my collection.)
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
The theater is too far away from my house now. So I will likely only be able to see it again when I get the DVD. (Still need to get the soundtrack for my collection.)
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Who got mad (like me) that Fili is not mourned for? Of course that could mean that he survived
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I was told that Fili was not mourned for. Maybe we will need to wait for the EEs.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I was actually mourning Kili & didn't quite notice that Fili wasn't mourned the first time I watched it (blushes, since Fili is my fave dwarf). But then someone pointed it out in this thread, so I got mad after that. He's such a precious guy! (I even started a thread for him in the casting forum if you want to get more in depth there!) I really didn't feel that Thorin was properly mourned either, except by Bilbo, & I'm not even a Thorin fan! They seemed to focus in on Kili, but then they just talked about bury him & never actually showed it. I found that so strange. I thought when they were blowing the horns they would have more of a funeral, but apparently not. It had better be in the EE though! (& I'll just admit right now I'll have to have some tissues ready )
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, sadly nobody was even noticing Fili's death. So unfair! Kili would have mourned him - if he hadn't died himself.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Well, I'm still mourning Fili! (Even if I'm working on a story where he doesn't die!) It is totally unfair! Even though I like Kili, Fili is definitely the better man. I find his death totally haunting so now if I watch something where a man potentially faces death on a precipice, I totally freak!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I know! :'(

Who thinks that that acorn from Beorn's garden will be the Party Tree one day? I personally do not but my mom does.
sasanoah
Council Member
Send Message
I counted on my calendar the days awaiting the elusive Dec 17. I loved it!
kerno_baggins
Council Member
Send Message
I'm trying to decide if I need to go see it in the theatre again.
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
I was bothered that Fili wasn't really mourned. Thorin was a little, but he's the king. Hopefully they add more of that in the extended edition.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, I agree that the deaths of the Kili, Fili, and Thorin should have been talked about more and we should have seen some sort of funeral. My friend pointed out that King Theoden's son in LotR was not mourned until the extended came out so we will have to wait and see.

You know though, a part of me is really annoyed by all this...theatrical does not give us the answers we seek and then we have to go and buy the extendeds to find out what happened. It's all about the money for the film makers. And I understand the money part. Nobody forced me to buy all the editions I have of all the movies.

BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I'm the same way, Lindarielwen! I wish the filmmakers would just go ahead & give us the whole thing, & totally forget about extended editions because what you see in the theater would be the whole film! But you're right, it's a money-making issue. You can't blame them for wanting to make money, & we do buy what they give us! I know I have learned my lesson & will gladly pay the extra for the EE's, especially when it comes to the Hobbit. Anyone know when EE BotFA will come out? I guess it's probably way too early to ask, since it's not even out in theatrical edition yet I know last year the EE for DoS didn't come out until November. I really don't want to wait that long for BotFA!
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Okay guys, so I finally watched it this weekend. I watched it with my friends and after wards we came up with pretty much the same opinion. This is a pretty long post, but I would be grateful if you would take some time to read it and maybe comment.
It is as follows (from a first person perspective to make it more personal):
I thought there were good bits, like when the White Council dispel Sauron from Dol Guldur, and some of the battle. BUT... I was very disappointed. I shall tell you why; the film did not make me sad. It was like watching a normal film, where you get up and you say "That was good", "yeah it was fantastic". But a Tolkien adaptation? You should be gob smacked by how good what you just saw was. "#One Last Time"? It didn't feel like it was the end of an era for me.

I'm gonna try to explain why I was so disappointed. I did not feel the emotional connection in the film. Think back to when you watched Lord of the Rings. It finished, and you probably put your head on the side of the sofa, and sighed, knowing that you witnessed and shared in something spectacular. It didn't happen in the Hobbit. I really wanted to connect, I wanted to share in the journey, and I wanted to feel all the emotion of the characters. The Lord of the Rings made you feel that you were there, that you shared the adventure. When the Hobbits finally see the shire again in the Lord of the Rings, it brings a tear to your eye, or at least you feel that you have had a fantastic experience. The Hobbit, in this way, was uninspired, unspectacular. I craved the scenes where Legolas came on, just so I could relive some of the emotion from LotR. It felt too much like the end of a normal film rather than the end of an adventure.

If I asked you to bring the music from the prologue into your head (the "evil violin music" some call it) I am sure that it brings back so many memories, and so much emotion. Do the same with the Hobbit. Not the same effect is it? Just the music, or a piece of dialogue, or a frame, from the LotR trilogy means something, it is just not the same with the Hobbit. The Hobbit just felt so ordinary, and that is really why I feel upset and a tad annoyed.

There was some class acting in the Hobbit, some good scenes as well, but for me, none of that means anything if there is no raw emotion. LotR is so powerful in that respect. I know that people say, don't compare it to LotR, it's never going to be that good. It didn't have to be as good a movie, it just needed the emotion. It's Tolkien, for Pete's sake, you don't have to do a whole load to make it special.

As an avid Tolkien fan, I should have been easy to make emotional, but I wasn't emotional, not one bit. It was the end of Tolkien on screen; the end of an era; the end of an epic journey, which included in the best film trilogy of all time. To me it just seemed like the end of a film, and for that I will be eternally bitter and disappointed. I feel like crying, not because the film was so good, not because it was bad, just because it wasn't... special. That is what Tolkien adaptations should be. Special, and this? It was ordinary.

I hope you enjoyed my slightly nostalgic and emotional (that word has been used to much in this post) reflection on the Hobbit. Do you agree with me? I would love to think what you thought of it, as an end to the Tolkien journey.

[Edited on 01/26/2015 by PSK]
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
You know what? You said it all. I could not figure out or understand why this movie did nothing for me. It is no secret that I fell asleep and had to see it again. There was no emotion. No attachments to any of the characters for me. I was expecting to cry at the end...the end of an era. Instead I just sat there, reading the credits and thinking..this is it? This is what I counted the days for?

I agree with everything you wrote. Sadly, I agree.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Wow PSK, I never even noticed that the music didn't pull me in like it does in LotR (I find myself humming the music that accompanies the orcs, & I love the one where they are traveling down the Anduin in FotR!). That's very astute.
However, it did hold an emotional element for me. Ok, it's no secret that I have a huge thing for Thranduil (just look at my avi!), so I was emotional every time he came on screen, in a very fangirly sort of way. & I love Fili & Kili, so their deaths really affected me. I guess it's because I loved them in the book & love seeing their tight brotherly bond. I even shed more tears every single time it showed poor Kili's lifeless body (the first time I saw it, my friend had to tell me he already died & can't die again while I held tightly to her arm with one hand & had a tissue in the other). But that's probably just because I'm a weird fangirl who gets way too emotionally attached to fictional characters.
I will just go ahead and confess I felt nothing when Thorin died, but that's because I'm not big on him. However, I did feel even his death was kind of glossed over & not the majestic, regal sort of thing it should have been (& I missed seeing the spectacular Elvenking laying orcist on his grave!). Maybe if we could have been more connected with the characters somehow I would have felt more for him (although I doubt it since I forgot he died in the book & was shocked when I read it the second time; I do like him better in the book, even if he still isn't my favorite). I hope this doesn't sound too cold or anything. I just didn't feel it with Thorin. It's not that Richard Armitage isn't a great actor or anything; I'm really not quite sure what it is about him. But that's just my very personal opinion that you can take or leave!
& yes, I'm still holding out for the EE!
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Exactly, the reason you did not feel a connection with Thorin was because of that lack of connection to the audience. Kili's death was the most emotional thing that happened. But anyone can kill off a character, I didn't think it was enough to make the film special.

I have another reflection on the good bits coming but I need time to compose my thoughts

[Edited on 01/27/2015 by PSK]
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Well, like I said I wasn't much for Thorin in the book either (I mean come on, forgetting he died? That's a sure sign the character did nothing for me. It's weird to admit that, since he's kind of the main character & all). But perhaps I would like him better if there was more of a connection (I really have no explanation why I'm pretty crazy about Thranduil yet don't like Thorin; it makes no sense to me).
I had something else in reflection to your post, but it has been lost in my head. Maybe I will think of it again.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email