Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
What, that husky-type dog bottom left? Yes it does look as though it's got something sticking out of it's shoulder. Very odd. It doesn't seem too bothered though.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
Yes! I know! It's weird, I wonder what PJ was thinking about that.

"I am burdened with glorious purpose"

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I noticed that as well! Very random.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
Anyone notice any other weird stuff?

Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Well, the first time I saw it I didn't even notice that the troll (that Legolas jumped down on its head) had prosthetic legs made of battle maces.

I love it that some Laketowner rescued their pig! I wonder if it was Miss Pikelet, who was featured in the DOS movie guide.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
oh yes, I thought the troll was weird. I noticed, the chains on it, appear to be welded to its eyes!

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Not weird, but interesting, a detail of archery.
What I learned in archery in school more than 40 years ago is with which fingers you - we in the west - bend the bowstring:
index finger above the arrow notched to the string, middle and ring fingers below. For a right-hander like me, that means all three fingers curl around the bowstring from right to left.
There is a different technique, though, apparently used by the Mongols (Genghis Khan and Co.):
thumb below the arrow, for a right-hander it means curling the thumb around the bowstring from left to right. On the right side of the bowstring, the index finger curls around the thumb from top to bottom to support the thumb
If I remember right, Bard uses the thumb technique ...
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
That's really interesting! I had wondered about that. You can see Bard using that grip on the cover of the piano score book.

What's your favorite from-the-book detail or other detail?
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I just heard a hideous rumor that the EE of Battles will be rated R. Does anyone know how to verify this? I sincerely hope that it is not true, and if it is, that they will remove the R material and release it as PG-13.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
Oh my! rated R? that's not good! of what content?

Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
All you have to do is look online.

According to what I found out, all three Hobbit extended movies will appear at the theater in October. Battle has received an R rating due to violence.

Nothing was said about the Battle coming out on dvd or what the rating might be.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
oh, well then I can watch it.

Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message
I also read online that the extended edition will be R, but I hope that the R stuff will be cut. I have never seen an R movie and never plan to, so I am really upset about this. I was really, really looking forward to the extended edition
I see no good reason to up the violence in an already violent movie. I wish I could get a petition to PJ to change the movie back to PG-13.
May it be when darkness falls, your heart will be true..
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
When some people think of an R rated movie, their thoughts turn to sexual content. They don't think that violence can also get a movie an R rating.

How much more violent can Battle be? Will we see guts spewing out of a slashed stomach? Entrails dragging along the ground? What is violent to some is run of the mill to others. I thought The Age of Ultron was pretty violent yet it is rated PG-13.

Several members I know are still not allowed to watch any of the movies due to violence. But, I suppose they are allowed to watch the news.

As far as the R stuff in Battle being cut, it has already been added to the Extended. If it is cut, it will no longer be an Extended. Although there would be money to be made if both R and PG-13 movies in extended versions would be released.

Time will tell with this I suppose. In any event, I will buy it.

Estelanor, don't wish it..do it!
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
This is very surprising in one way and not so surprising in another. Peter Jackson did mostly direct horror films before working on these movies after all. He loved to make records of the most gallons of fake blood used in his films.
I believe movies rated R because of violence usually get it because of blood. The LotR trilogy had lots of head rolling and such, but there was not much actual blood shown.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
It's hard to figure out the rating system sometimes. Arms and heads flying around, innards being ripped out, that's all fine. But a drop of blood is too shocking. Silly.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I get what some of you are saying about the significance of R being partly in our heads, but the distinction still matters to me and I am very unhappy about it. While not exactly a child friendly story anyway, I feel this R rating is very inconsiderate to the younger audience and anyone like me who feels that violance doesn't add any value to the story. I would have been very excited to hand over some more money to watch the EE in the theater, but sadly I'll be staying home now. I won't buy it either. I guess I'll wait until my library gets it, then I can look at the chapters and decide what scenes to watch. :/ If anyone finds a petition, I'll sign.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
If the R rating results solely from additional (gratuitous) violence - mostly in the battle, I would guess - then the EE is hardly worth buying. I would make a slight exception for Beorn taking out a battalion of Orcs. There is no way that can "look pretty". I feel the same about some war films that show how really gruesome and horrifying it looks when soldiers get killed. None of this "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" propagandistic Baloney Slices. And as in movies portraying violent subcultures (Quentin Tarantino comes to mind, also Terminator and Blade), there is again no way to make them "look pretty".

But R for The Hobbit?

Just checked my DVD collection:
All six cinema versions are rated FSK12 for Germany, as are both TH EEs and the TT EE. But the EEs of FoTR and RoTK are rated FSK 16.
No, I have no idea as to how these ratings compare to PG13 and R, for example (is there anything in between these ratings in the US?).
My guess would be that the violence bumped them up to FSK16, while they would (maybe just barely) get the PG13 in the US.
And also (not relevant to Middle-Earth, but ...) nudity and stuff would breeze through here with an FSK16, while getting hit with an R rating in the US.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
I will say, BOFA is my favorite movie.

Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I read that the EE of Five Armies will be released around November 16 and there will be some sort of *chariot* race whatever that means and there will also be a funeral sequence but I don't know if that is for all three Dwarves who died. Beorn is also rumoured to have added scenes in the EE.

There is supposed to be about 30 minutes of extra footage

Also, all three movies are coming back to theaters around October 13.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:I read that the EE of Five Armies will be released around November 16 ...

Just for a short while, you scared the [enter stuff of your choice] out of me!!! Written that way could mean November 2016 here in Germany! Unfortunate date, of course, had it been November 14 or earlier, then I would not have been led astray (we had our - hopefully! - last heat wave here from last Saturday to noon Tuesday).
Was it that late for AuJ and DoS, too? Image Image
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, it was. The EE's for both were released just before the next movie came out which was in December. Since there aren't any more movies, I don't see why the release is so late, but it is.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Did anyone see the extended editions in theaters? I would greatly appreciate your opinions about what made Battles EE R. I saw the trailer, and some of the new scenes look exciting. I know there will be a funeral, but all the stuff I saw was from the battle. In my opinion, there is already sufficient battle footage and I would prefer more at the end instead. However, I will quickly cave if they offer more of certain characters in action (hint: Elves, White Council, favorite Dwarves . . . )
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Someone told me you can go on Youtube and see some of the added scenes. I heard there is more Galadriel but I did not check out the new scenes myself. All I know is there is added violence which gave it the *R* rating.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
More Galadriel footage sounds great! I would rather not see the R scenes. If anyone would make a list of all the new scenes with their judgement of whether they are R or not, that would be lovely.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Finally found a source for the date that the EE of BoFA might be released here in Germany. Lindarielwen mentioned 16 November above, but that seems to be for the original language version. My source names 26 November ... Image
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I cannot judge what you might consider to be *R* rated, Elf. Could it be any worse than Aragorn slicing off Lurtz's arm and then his head? I am surprised sometimes at what is shown on regular TV so I can't imagine what would give BOFA an *R* rating.

Just watch it when it comes out. You can always close your eyes if something comes up that you do not want to see. Who knows, you might not close your eyes for any of it.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Elf, were there any scenes in the LotR trilogy or the Hobbit movies that you did not like?

I thought Gollum biting off Frodo's finger was pretty gross.

[Edited on 10/28/2015 by Lindarielwen]
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, that was pretty gross! If anyone "rated" the scenes for me, of course I would not hold them to some sort of legal definition for what is R. But if someone wanted to do it, maybe it would be better if they describe what happens in each scene instead so I can decide for myself whether I want to see it.

I don't enjoy seeing Gollum bite Frodo's finger off, but I think it makes a difference for me that it was in the book. I tell myself, "that had to happen." Also, the book gives me warning about some of the stuff. For example, the heads hurtling over the wall into Minas Tirith. My concern about Battles is that 99% of the action is invented so there is a lot of room to add gory stuff. The nonextended version is already at my max violance tolerance. In particular, I couldn't bear any more gruesome things happening to the dwarves. It is more emotional if something gruesome happens to people I care about.

So here are some scenes that I could hardly force myself to look at the first time I watched and I generally look away from when rewatching:
Boromir being shot again and again.
Haldir.
Shelob stinging Frodo.
The heads.
Denethor's exit.
The Goblin king getting slashed in the stomach and then beheaded in a very sloppy fashion.
Bilbo kills the baby spider/monster/thing. (Mostly because it makes me gag.)
Thranduil beheads orc.
Deaths of Fili, Kili, and Thorin. I knew it would be bad, but their deaths just seemed engineered to be sadistic.

Well anyway, I'm very curious to hear from someone who has seen it, and whether they think its obvious what was R or not.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Fili's death is the worst! I think I cry out a little bit every single time. I've heard they're going to add more to that part in the EE. So I definitely feel you there, Elfeawen. It sounds to me like you need to read some reviews before you watch the EE just to make sure. I'm going to get it anyway; I can always skip over the scenes that bother me, just like I do with the LotR trilogy.
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, I hope that's not true! Fili's death is more than sufficiently terrible and terribly disturbing already. The only thing I would be okay with adding would be to give Kili and Fili some last words. It really bothered me that they didn't get to say anything.

And I agree with Lindarielwen that some pretty ghastly stuff is allowed in PG-13. I'm thinking of certain scenes in Revenge of the Sith.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I read a pretty good article on Cinema Blend about the EE. The author said that some of the new content involves showing how orcs can be killed with various dwarf made war machines, for example, a chariot with blades attached to the wheels. Not appealing, personally. He said that sometimes small splashes of blood were shown, but there was already blood in the movie, so did that really upgrade the rating? But the author said that some of the deaths were "gnarly" and a commenter said that the manner of the deaths seemed more important than the amount of blood being shown. The author criticized the MPAA for having an arbitrary line between PG-13 and R violence. In another article, I read that Fili's death was more "cruel" in the original script, but it was unclear whether that made it into the EE. According to what I read, the new violence is a ramped up version of what is already there and not something that screams extreme R at you. But I doubt very much that it will improve the film at all, in my opinion, and I sincerely wish they had added plot building material instead.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Ugh! I definitely agree with you on the plot-building, Elfeawen! Why would they just add more blood & gore? I really think we get the point: five armies converge & fight. Many on all sides are killed.
I'm really hoping they still answer my three big questions:
1. What happened to the Elvenqueen?
2. Why was Thorin's funeral not shown when he is the MC?
3. What happened to Tauriel after Kili's death?
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I hope all those questions get answered, Blue. More violence is not needed and I hope the EE does not contain any foolishness like the Goblin King's silly song. More substance is needed, not nonsense.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I also hope proper respect is given to Thorin, Fili, and Kili.

[Edited on 11/09/2015 by Lindarielwen]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email