Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Mironiel_EA
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:I also hope proper respect is given to Thorin, Fili, and Kili.

[Edited on 11/09/2015 by Lindarielwen]

Yes proper respect is given to them. We see the whole burial scene(which you can watch on youtube, and honestly it made me cry is was so sad) plus stuff like Dain's coronation.
As for those who are worried about the 'R' rating of the EE, well RoTK was just below being rated 'R'. You should be able to watch it at home, though, if you buy it. I do think, however, that if movies like the Hunger Games don't get rated 'R' for violence, than BoFTA shouldn't be rated 'R'.
Mironiel_EA
Council Member
Send Message
The whole 'R' rating thing really annoys me. I mean, c'mon people-who-rate-movies! IT'S A FANTASY MOVIE.THERE WILL BE VIOLENCE. I found THG to be far more violent than The Hobbit movies or the LOTR movies, and THG never got rated 'R'!!! ASDFGKL GAHAHBAHSHGDHGD Also BoTFA was probably my favorite film out of the Hobbit trilogy.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Finally bought the BoFA EE here in Germany (will watch it on the weekend). It is rated "FSK 12", which probably is roughly equivalent to PG-13. All six cinema versions of LoTR and TH also had FSK 12, as did the TT EE. FoTR and RoTK EEs had FSK 16, but I don't know how that compares to an R-rated movie in the US. The most restrictive rating in Germany is FSK 18, usually given for very violent movies (Quentin Tarantino's "Reservoir Dogs", "True Romance", and "Kill Bill Volume 1" - Volume 2 had FSK 16). I'm guessing here, but some movies which might just make R in the US would get hit with FSK 18 here in Germany, as they are more critical of violence and more relaxed on nudity (not sex!) here.

So does BoFA EE actually have an R rating? From the tolerance-of-violence point of view I would find this very unlikely to be compatible with FSK 12 here.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I see there are no posts about the EE of BoFA. Didn't anyone see it? I did not buy it as of right now.

Gando, I look forward to your comments.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, Mirionel, for your report, and Gandolorin, that was interesting to hear about the German rating system. Yes, it was truly rate R here. There is no division between PG-13 and R in the MPAA system, but I think PG-13 should be split into 2 or 3 categories. Just curious, what do you think made FOTR EE get a higher rating in Germany?

Would anyone like to make a list of new scenes after they watch it?
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Elfeawen Lomiondil said:... Yes, it was truly rate R here. There is no division between PG-13 and R in the MPAA system, but I think PG-13 should be split into 2 or 3 categories. Just curious, what do you think made FOTR EE get a higher rating in Germany?

Would anyone like to make a list of new scenes after they watch it?

R in the US, FSK 12 here - that does not make any sense to me! By tendency, I would guess our rating system is more restrictive as far as violence goes than the US system - at least I would have said so in the (very recent) past; maybe things have changed? Image
Perhaps the EEs are not identical in content? First hint might be the duration of the film - 157 minutes in my version, what's the duration of the US version?

I certainly cannot tell you what the difference between FoTR (of for that matter RoTK) cinema vs. EE version were to get the cinema version's FSK 12 bumped to the EE's FSK 16 from by now dim memory.

As for the list of new scenes, I'll look at the chaptering on the DVD (unlike the LoTR EEs, there's no booklet accompanying the Hobbit EEs). Though with a Realm chat coming up at 6 PM my time (Central European Time), I may not get around to the chapters list today.
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:I see there are no posts about the EE of BoFA. Didn't anyone see it?

I've had mine for a while but haven't watched it yet (maybe next weekend, but no promises, especially since I'm not a Star Wars fan, so I doubt I'll be going to the new movie, but I may check it out if I get a Cineplex gift card for Christmas, otherwise, no, I'll stick with my other fandoms, thank you very much), since I don't need to be an emotional wreck this close to Christmas. I'd rather watch Jurassic World (which I've seen in theaters ten times, same as AUJ, mostly in 3D, except for the last time, which was in 2D, and once on DVD) again, since the only thing that makes me cry in that one is the Apatosaurus scene, nothing more.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
I saw the extended edition of The battle of the five armies the other day. It is rated MA15+ here in Australia. Didn't see much of a point giving it that rating.
Out of the other Hobbit movies it was perhaps the better extended version however to me it didn't seem much of an improvement from its theatrical edition. There is a scene with the funerals and a quick coronation of Dain lasted about a couple of minute. Beorn has something like five to ten seconds of extra time on the screen. More scenes with Smaug and we see Gandalf with Narya. There is a longer battle between the Elves and Dwarves.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
If there's no more Beorn I don't think I'll bother.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Beorn is also in the scene of the funeral but doesn't do or say anything there really isn't any dialogue except when Balin looks at Dain and says long live the king. That's also Dains coronation.
Radagast gives his staff to Gandalf. Saruman still says leave Sauron to me yet nothing happens no battle between them not even over the Palantir.
We all knew that these movies were way different from the book. I don't know how to say it but to me it seems that the "magic" that was in the LotR movies was nowhere to be seen in the Hobbit trilogy
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
In the book, Beorn was ultimately decisive in winning the battle, and appeared after The Eagles, and destroys Bolg (Azog is of course long dead in the book). PJ set the tone by allowing Azog to survive the Battle of Azanulbizar. The prominent part the Azog vs. Thorin theme, to a lesser degree Bolg vs. Legolas (and Tauriel) theme, and Gandalf's capture in Dol Guldur, just once again demonstrate, to my mind, PJ's if not preference for the baddies, then at least his penchant for giving them (too) much screen time. But still, it could have been worse - Disney!!!
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
So, can anyone tell me what happens to Tauriel? I have yet to see the EE, although I will buy it eventually if only to have all 3 match & me have no regrets for missing stuff like I did with spending less money & buying theatrical LotR.
Gandolorin, Disney & Tolkien together is a scary thought indeed after what they did with Narnia! Wow.
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Tauriel ends up getting married to Thranduil and becomes Legolas's stepmother.
only kidding Blueberry nothing happens to Tauriel

[Edited on 12/14/2015 by Lord_Sauron]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
So Jackson just leaves Tauriel's fate to our own imagination?

I am in no hurry to buy the EE. Now that I am thinking about it, it is not even on display in the local stores. Not much interest it seems.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Oh ugh. I wish PJ would tell us! They left so many loose ends I'd like tied up!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I watched the movie twice last weekend, and also couldn't resist re-watching some appendices, so getting the list of chapters from my two DVDs got pushed back a bit ...

And regarding the chapter titles, since I have a German version of the EE, the menus and therefore chapter titles are all in German. I have re-translated them back to English, so they may not be identical to the original English titles.

DVD 1

1. Fire and water
2. Bard, the dragon-slayer EXTENDED SCENE
3. The dungeons of the Dark Lord
4. The shores of the Long Lake
5. Not at home
6. Others will be interested in the mountain
7. The army of the defiler
8. The sign of Gundabad
9. Attack on Dol Guldur EXTENDED SCENE
10. Gather our friends EXTENDED SCENE
11. The Jewel of the King
12. The ruins of Dale
13. Erebor made safe
14. Support for the Elven King EXTENDED SCENE
15. The clouds gather
16. A sign of friendship
17. The shadow of Gundabad
18. The last move of a master plan
19. Bolg of the north
20. The night watch NEW SCENE
21. A thief in the night
22. An honest Master Thief EXTENDED SCENE
23. Dain Ironfoot EXTENDED SCENE
24. The clouds burst EXTENDED SCENE
25. The Battle of Dale
26. The darkest hour EXTENDED SCENE
27. Dragon sickness

DVD 2

28. Thorin Oakenshield's return
29. The Sons of Durin
30. For the King EXTENDED SCENE
31. A call to arms EXTENDED SCENE
32. Thorin's plan EXTENDED SCENE
33. The battle-wagon NEW SCENE
34. Courage and cowardice EXTENDED SCENE
35. The Fifth Army
36. Scouting Ravenhill
37. Eldar blood
38. Unexpected help NEW SCENE
39. The fallen
40. The Battle of Ravenhill EXTENDED SCENE
41. For the dead EXTENDED SCENE
42. Leave-taking among friends
43. The sorrow of the Elves
44. Eyes which have seen fire and sword
45. The King under The Mountain NEW SCENE
46. The return journey
47. The last stage
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you, I greatly appreciate it!

Does the Battle of Ravenhill make the Dwarves' deaths more horrible?

What new scene did you like most?
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Ravenhill: I don't remember that being so ...

New scene:
For poignancy, certainly "45. The King under The Mountain", when the remaining Dwarves and Bilbo take their leave of Thorin, Kili and Fili (and in the background are Gandalf, Radagast and Beorn, I believe ...).

For sheer raw the-Dwarves-kicking-butt, certainly "33. The battle-wagon". But certainly not a scene for the squeamish ...
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
My copy of BOFA extended came with 5 discs. Two were the movie, the other 3 are *the making of* I think. I really do not plan on watching those....it takes the magic away for me.

[Edited on 01/05/2016 by Lindarielwen]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
We finally watched BOFA extended on Saturday and the joke was to keep me from falling asleep. I must say, the movie held my interest from the start to the end.

I really do not see why it got an *R* rating. The battle scene was excellent and I did not feel it was that violent...at least not as much as other movies I have seen without an *R* rating. The few swear words made no difference and were more funny than nasty.

I can't believe I liked this movie considering I fell asleep both times I saw it at the cinema. It is my fave of the 3.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:I can't believe I liked this movie considering I fell asleep both times I saw it at the cinema. It is my fave of the 3.

As I have watched the Appendices two plus times, I can say that for BoFA, PJ considers the EE to be the definitive version, and I agree wholeheartedly. What he trimmed (felt he had to trim) for the cinema version left that with a feeling of incompleteness (too many loose ends, as has been commented often enough).
DragonxKing
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:We finally watched BOFA extended on Saturday and the joke was to keep me from falling asleep. I must say, the movie held my interest from the start to the end.

I really do not see why it got an *R* rating. The battle scene was excellent and I did not feel it was that violent...at least not as much as other movies I have seen without an *R* rating. The few swear words made no difference and were more funny than nasty.

I can't believe I liked this movie considering I fell asleep both times I saw it at the cinema. It is my fave of the 3.

I read an article regarding the "R" rating. Apparently it was due to the scene when Legolas stabs Bolg through the hand.

http://furiousfanboys.com/2015/12/why-the-hobbit-the-battle-of-the-five-armies-was-rated-r/

I don't agree with changing the rating because of that scene as I found other items in the movie more violent, so I don't see the logic here.
Earalda
Council Member
Send Message
Post concerns
on: February 01, 2016 03:43
none of the Atani seem prepared for the Scepter of the Faithful.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Okay, I am clueless here. I looked up Scepter of the Faithfull and found nothing about it. Enlighten me. The Atani are Men, correct? That is the word the Elves used for Men? Help me connect this to The Battle of Five Armies.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Or even 'The Sceptre of the Faithful'. The nearest reference is the sceptre of the kings of Númenor, which was lost when Ar-thingummybob sailed to attack Valinor. The Faithful were those who stayed faithful to the Valar, but they didn't have a sceptre. Nothing to do with the movie anyway.

The only other near match is the Sceptre of Judah, which is slightly off-topic; off-site even. Are you going to explain your post Earelda?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email