Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Post LotR Movie Marathon- RotK Questions for Discussion
on: December 18, 2014 05:06
Since we received very few questions for this film, we are just going to stick to some of our basic ones.

Best Actor or actress?
Best Scene?
Which characters qualities do you most need?

You may carry over other questions from other threads or add them as you wish.

As last time, please leave this thread untouched if you find it unlocked.

This will be our last film in the marathon. I will create another thread in which we can discuss how things went, or add improvements for next year.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
The best acted scene has to be Sam and Frodo on Mount Doom. Normally in film the camera shoots one person and then the other, but in this instance they had to use crossed cameras to save time. Sean and Elijah were delighted as it's always better for actors to do a scene for real. One of the most memorable scenes in the trilogy.

The acting in these films was of the highest quality so it's always hard to choose one. I think the best characterisation was Denethor, walking the fine line of madness. Very hard and very well done.

Which qualities do I need? Those of the Rohirrim, so I can ride a horse.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
I found Denethor scenes very upsetting, emotionally. They were very well executed, artistically, very scary, very credible. And they made me feel for Faramir as the neglected son, the expendable son, one who could never fill his brother's shoes in their father's opinion. A very cruel fate for a person. This sequence is the one that explains Faramir's action in the previous film (although that still doesn't justify what PJ did to Faramir's noble character, mind you!).
Shelob was downright awesome and terrifying. As was Mordor per se.
However, what I loved most of all, was Sam and the way his character was developed throughout the film. Sometimes, it seems to me that Sam was the most important person in the entire story. With every part of the movie, I came to love him more and more, and found my respect for that stout, loyal hobbit growing. I think I would have survived if Frodo died at some point, but I could not take the death of Sam (if for some strange reason Tolkien had decided to kill off the most loveable characters in LOTR the way he did in The Hobbit).
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The best acted scene, for me, was when Pippin went to rescue Faramir from Denethor, when he started screaming, "He's not dead!" Utterly heartbreaking.

This film brought back a lot of emotions for me, especially since the dawn of the last foreseeable Tolkien movie is upon us.

I also loved seeing the similarities between Shelob and the Mirkwood spiders.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
I just finished watching The Return of The King with my family.

As always, there were so many emotions. I do not think I could pick a very favorite scene, for there are many that are dear to me; Frodo and Sam on the slopes of Mount Doom, Eowyn and Theoden, Eowyn and Merry, Eomer and Eowyn at Pellennor, all the scenes with Aragorn, Pippin's Song, the beacons...the whole movie!(except the beginning scene with Gollum).

I just love this movie. The acting and transformation of different characters is wonderful...it makes it all seem so real. The scenery, and especially the music, really bring the story to life (the penny whistle part with Frodo and Sam at Mount Doom is one of my many favorites).

As for best actor(s)/actress...Sean Astin, Viggo Mortensen, Miranda Otto, Bernard Hill, Dominic Monaghan, Ian McKellen and Elijah Wood are all wonderful. I pretty much like everyone though. I think I could probably pick one quality I need from each of the characters, but will not take the time to do that now.

This movie just really strikes a chord with me. I think I shed at least one tear every time I see it.

"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I loved seeing the varying scenery between Rohan and Gondor at the beacons scene. I think that is one of my favorite parts.

Were there any scenes that you all thought were unnecessary?
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
My favourite two scenes are the beacons scene, and when Barad-dur collapses. When Pippin lights the beacon my whole family jumps up and starts shouting "The beacons are lit, the beacons are lit". Finally everyone quietens down, then when Theoden says that Rohan will answer, we all start jumping around shouting again. Happens every time. I love the scene where Barad-dur collapses as well because it seems to strike home that they have done it. I also love how the massive orc/troll just takes one look and runs. Biggest coward of them all!

As to your question with the scenes, I don't think there are any unnecessary scenes.
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
That is a wonderful tradition for your family, PSK. I am hoping that my sister and I will be able to do that someday; she's too young still for RotK.

Pippin's song...can we talk about this for a minute? Such a heartbreakingly perfect scene.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email