Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Post Fili's Fan Club! (Spoilers present!)
on: January 10, 2015 10:02
Fili is such a man, er dwarf, of character that he needs his own special fan club. I personally think he is the best male character in The Hobbit as far as morality goes. He is so dedicated to his family that it is totally precious!
My most favorite quote of his is "I belong with my brother!" This happens when he chooses to stay with Kili instead of going to fulfill his dream of seeing the Lonely Mountain. That makes him quite endearing to me. While Sam remains my most favorite character ever, I think Fili comes quite close to Sam's awesomeness in the films.
And I must mention that he is blonde, so that's totally amazing. (No, I am not going to hide the fact that this girl prefers blondes!) Dean O-Gorman makes a ruggedly handsome dwarf. Actually, when I first saw pictures of the dwarves, he is the one I chose without really knowing much about him (except he and Kili both were kind of funny and sweet in the book!).
And now for the spoiler: his death in BotFA haunts me to this day! I can't watch anything remotely like that without mourning over him. I found his death to be the most gruesome of all. So he certainly deserves people to comment on his awesomeness!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
He is such a handsome dwarf! He really was not focused on much in the first movie, but I loved him in the second and third. One of my favorite parts with him in DoS was when the elves took away his weapons. He was so indignant! And when he refused to leave his brother it was reminiscent of Merry and Pippin. So sweet.

His death in BotFA was so completely tragic. It was made even worse because you can see it coming but it is still so sudden. Heartbreaking. And there wasn't even anyone there to mourn him except his fangirls.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I know! He got better with each passing movie, like Thranduil did. I actually saw a pin on pinterest that's a picture of Gandalf; it says "I think Gandalf worries about Merry & Pippin because they remind him of Fili & Kili." Tears certainly came into my eyes when I realized how much alike they truly are, in the films especially.
I actually spilled coffee on myself today & blame Fili's death scene for it. I was watching Adam-12 & one of the officers was being held hostage, & they had him at the edge of a precipice. I totally freaked & spilled coffee on myself & probably screamed "Fili!" Thankfully the officer was ok. But now I can't watch people on the edges of cliffs or being impaled without thinking of him.
In some ways, it almost makes his death easier to know he didn't have a lady waiting for him. But (as you can read in my new fanfic, Two Dwarves & Three Ladies Fair), I'd like to see Fili & Sigrid develop a relationship.
Oh, & I've also seen how Fili looks a lot like a lion! I'm such a cat person, & I wonder if that's why I find him so attractive? Does that even make sense? lol
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
Fili was a favourite character of mine from the book. Liked him a lot the films because of Dean O'Gorman. Wish he had more to do in the films though.

[Edited on 01/11/2015 by MeliaStormcrow]
"The King beneath the mountains, The King of carven stone, The lord of silver fountains Shall come into his own! His crown shall be upholden, His harp shall be restrung, His halls shall echo golden To songs of yore re-sung. The woods shall wave on mountains And grass beneath the sun; His wealth shall flow in fountains And the rivers golden run. The streams shall run in gladness, The lakes shall shine and burn, All sorrow fail and sadness At the Mountain-king's return!"
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Post Fili's Fan Club! (Spoilers present!)
on: April 03, 2015 05:17
BlueberryMuffins76 said:Fili is such a man, er dwarf, of character that he needs his own special fan club. I personally think he is the best male character in The Hobbit as far as morality goes. He is so dedicated to his family that it is totally precious!

I've been thinking about it, and I think you are right. He does have one of the best moral characters, (especially if we leave out Elrond! ). Fili has been one of my favorite dwarves since the book, and thanks for bringing up his character instead of just pointing out that his mustache is adorable. Oh wait, that was me, and it is adorable!
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Well, I did mention before I chose him before I even saw the films, but he definitely became more endearing after watching them. I saw somewhere that he was rated as the hottest dwarf! That made me quite ecstatic. Oh! I just found the link to that! http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/the-13-dwarves-in-the-hobbit-ranked-by-hotness?utm_term=.rlNyloQYE#.qsdg97N6g
I will go ahead & confess that I'm not a film Elrond fan, although I do like him in the books. So I will definitely stay with Fili as far as choosing between the two go. I saw something on Pinterest concerning his care for Fili (I tried to find the link for you but my Middle Earth board is so big it got lost in there somewhere. Hopefully I can find it eventually!). Essentially, it's about how no one expected him to die in the battle & that's why no mention is made of his making a promise to return to his mother like Kili did. He was always the protective, responsible older brother. And other pictures have pointed out things I totally miss as the action goes on in the films; there are many times where Fili throws himself in front of Kili to protect him. And yes, I'm totally fangirling on the inside now!
And just for the fun of it, check this out: http://larientelemnar.deviantart.com/art/Fili-the-Dwarf-349143405
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I finally found the link! I definitely need to think about making a Sons of Durin board, & a Sam board...Anyway, here it is! http://crackdkettle.tumblr.com/post/70097234009/do-you-think-fili-promised-his-mother-hed-come I recommend having a tissue box on hand; I kind of freaked out when I first read this. It's so strange how Fili's death can still affect me so much!
Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message
Blueberry: I looked at the picture of Fili you posted and got sidetracked by fan art of Fili and Kili as kids. You may have already seen this one, but I had to share!
http://larientelemnar.deviantart.com/art/Once-upon-a-snowy-night-361480852
Is that too cute, or is that too cute?!!! Baby dwarves are sooo precious..
Unfortunately it just makes me more miserable about Kili and Fili's deaths Thorin, Kili, and Fili are my favorite dwarves.
May it be when darkness falls, your heart will be true..
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Aw! That's totally precious! Thanks for sharing! Fili doesn't usually distract me, but Thranduil sure does! Of course, I have a whole other thread for him. Anyway, Fili is definitely my fave dwarf, although I have a love/dislike of movie Kili.
I seriously don't know why I still want to own BotFA, since Fili dies and everything. I thought I might hate it because of that, but I don't. I do not like it that they just kind of pushed him aside, as many people have pointed out in various threads on here. I'm hoping the EE will actually give them all a decent burial like all three deserve.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I need to see the funeral.

Thanks for sharing the images, they made me feel so much better and worse at the same time. Actually, you Fili fans and all the artists who use their talent to lovingly depict him have made me try to write him a song. I never wrote poetry before BOTFA came along, but for some reason it makes me feel better. I've heard some beautiful laments for Thorin, and there's lots of stuff for Kili, and so I came up with this. I'm sure he deserves better, but its what I've got.

Lament for the Golden Prince

Of you my father oft spoke,
How no danger could daunt you,
Not fire and not smoke
Bright glory of Durin's Folk.

Of you my mother oft sings,
You followed in footsteps of kings
And died for our kin.
Your song in my heart still rings.

May your song never fade!
A king without a crown,
Heroes who cast the darkness down.
Your memory is gold in my heart.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Forgot to say that the song is from the perspective of a new generation of Dwarf children born in Erebor that never knew Fili but grew up hearing tales of the Company of Thorin Oakenshield.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Aw! That's so precious! Thanks for sharing! I would like to hear the tune for your song.
That's what this tread is all about: to give us the feels about Fili!
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Your'e welcome. You can adapt a tune from "Will You Follow Me: Thorin's Song" by James Baillie. Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7-cu28Y-H4

I have been thinking about the dwarf afterlife. It makes me feel a little better. The dwarves say their maker, Mahal (Aule in Elvish) keeps a hall for them where their souls will rest (and enjoy dwarvish past times I imagine) until the End of Days. Then they will come forth once more (I'm picturing Fili leading the charge beside Kili and Thorin like in the Sons of Durin scene), defeat the Shadow, and help rebuild the world as a better place (with dwarvish aesthetics?).

[Edited on 04/15/2015 by Elfeawen Lomiondil]
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I'm sorry I've left you all hanging! For some reason I no longer get email updates & sometimes don't notice when someone has posted
Anyway, I'm just curious as to where you found the info on the dwarf afterlife? That is a rather comforting thought to know that they will return again. In fact, that would make an interesting fanfic...But please, I have too many ideas as it is!
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Sounds like intense fanfic . . .

You can read about it in the Silmarillion. It is pg.34 of the 1st edition.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, it would be very intense but interesting! However, I'm not the person to write that fanfic!
Ah, ok. People keep telling me I need to reread the Sil since I obviously don't remember much about it lol
So, I've heard in the EE of BotFA we're supposed to see the funeral that they left out...I sure hope they take care of Fili in proper dwarf fashion (whatever that may be)!
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
The Silmarillion is totally worth it!

I need to see that funeral for emotional closure. I've heard that dwarf burials are preferably in stone.

In The Hobbit book, Thorin says "I go now to the halls of waiting to sit beside my fathers, until the world is renewed." (The Return Journey)

[Edited on 05/07/2015 by Elfeawen Lomiondil]
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I know! Leaving the funeral out was just really strange. Even though Thorin & Kili were more focused upon than Fili, they're all three so important! It certainly would have helped fans to see the funeral; "emotional closure" like you said.
Thranduil is supposed to lay the Arkenstone of Thorin's tomb, from what I remember in the book. But poor Fili & Kili only get a mention that they were killed too.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I know. And this is turning into the Dwarf funeral thread.

"They buried Thorin deep beneath the Mountain, and Bard laid the Arkenstone upon his breast.
'There let it lie until the Mountain falls!' he said. 'May it bring good fortune to all his folk that dwell here!'
Upon his tomb the Elvenking then laid Orcrist, the elvish sword that was taken from Thorin in captivity. It is said in songs that it gleamed ever in the dark if foes approached, and, and the fortress of the dwarves could not be taken by surprise." (The Hobbit 1966, 275)

I like to think that Fili and his brother were buried at Thorin's side, because "And turning towards the Mountain he (Bilbo) added: 'Farewell Thorin Oakenshield! And Fili and Kili! May your memory never fade!'" (276)

I wish that was in the movie.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, they should definitely do that in the EE! I see no reason to think they wouldn't be laid together. It makes sense because after Thorin, Fili & Kili were next in line for the throne. I was honestly a little disappointed that they didn't fight side by side and help protect Thorin like Tolkien says they did in the book.
For a more positive discussion, I recently found out that Fili is mention more times than Kili in the book! I think he did a few more things, such as his long nose helped Bilbo figure out who he was when they were all wrapped up by the spiders in Mirkwood.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
At the time I saw the movie, I didn't remember how they died, and they died almost exactly how I predicted. When I reread the book afterwards, I did feel some regret when I saw that, but the movie version fits with their plot better.

This is not precisely a more positive question, but its different: what happened to Fili and Kili's father? For a while I thought he was killed at the battle of Moria, but then I realized I had confused him with Thorin's brother Frerin. I suppose maybe nothing happened to him, but if their father was still alive, why would he allow his sons to go on the quest but not go with them?

I just got it fixed in my head that Thorin helped Dis raise her boys.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Well, I do agree the film version fits with the film plot. But I'd almost rather have Fili and Kili die at once, get it all over with in one fell swoop. But that's likely just because I'm female :/
I just tried to find some things on the father, but I can't even find his name, let alone what happened to him. It makes no sense to me. Maybe he died of old age before everything started happening when the boys were still young. The only reasons I could see for his still being alive yet not going would be if he were old, ill, or had some other physical kind of ailment.
Yes, a lot of people think Thorin helped raise them and was the father figure. You wouldn't believe how many things like that are all over Pinterest. And as far as the book goes, it makes sense to me. They seem so close to each other and willing to follow each other to death. I suppose even if their father was still living they could still be that close to their uncle, especially if the father was crippled or something and thus physically unable to do all the things dwarf fathers do with their sons. But that's all speculation on my part.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Right, it really seems like the father was out of the picture in some sense. Most Deviantartists depict Thorin raising his nephews too. Interesting how ideas like this become fixed in fandom.

I just rewatched most of BOTFA with the subtitles on, and its worth it because it identifies speakers in crowd scenes. So I noticed that when the other dwarves are getting really aggressive, Fili is usually more restrained and less carried away. He is also the first one to declare he wants to go over the wall and join in the fight when the battle breaks out.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Yes, it is interesting!
That's funny; I just rewatched it last week with subtitles too! But I failed to notice that about Fili (I, er, ahem, get distracted by a certain Elvenking...But don't worry, I truly do love Fili!). He definitely is more passive. I think he has more maturity in him than Kili does, likely since he's older, and as many other fans point out has more of the protective role. I'm not sure he ever actually wanted to fight.
Hobbits2Isengard
Council Member
Send Message
Fili was my favourite character in the book (along with Thorin), and I think he was great in the movies as well! Not that I disliked Kili in the movies, but I think that he got WAY too much screentime as compared to his brother. Of course Thorin got the most screentime out of the Dwarves, but Fili really should have gotten more, being the freaking heir to the throne of Erebor and all!
On a different note: first time Fili appeared in the movies, my immediate reaction was "eeeee, melikes moostache braids" xD
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Aw! He's one of my favorite dwarves in the books too. He definitely deserves more screen time.
Hehe! I saw pictures of him and Kili before the films came out & definitely chose him over Kili! My sis chose Kili so it works out great!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email