Register

Author Topic:
Elladan and Elrohir
Council Member
Send Message
Post Lesson two - Chart
on: February 09, 2015 10:02
Hi guys,
I'm stuck at lesson two because I just don't get the chart. I mean, what's in there? And how do you read that chart?
Maybe it's just insanely stupid but I really don't get it...
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
The mutations chart is something you will need handy for all the other lessons (and beyond, when you do your own translations - I actually used this particular chart for a long time until I'd memorised them all as it's the best one I found).
It has every type of mutation and you will learn these one at a time, so don't worry that there's loads of information there, you will do each one.

The very left hand column (starting B, BL, BR, C etc. reading downwards) are the original consonants, and every other column shows you what these letters change into when the mutation written above applies.

Soft mutation (the first column across to the right) is the one you'll use most often (and learn first) as it's used after i = the and for adjectives in sentences such as red book, second house. The others, like nasal mutation (used when talking about plural items - the trees) you'll learn afterwards.
Elladan and Elrohir
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you for the answer, but I still don't quite get it... Could you maybe give an example of a mutation?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Yes of course - so using the examples I gave you originally, if you want to say:

A red book = Parf caran (no mutation)
The red book = I barf garan (P -> B because the word 'the' causes mutation and C -> G because it's an adjective, both of these are soft mutation)
The red books = I pherf garan (or gerain) (P -> PH, this is nasal mutation because the word 'books' follows the plural of 'the', but C -> G is still just an adjective and still soft mutation)

[Edited on 02/11/2015 by Galadivren]
Elladan and Elrohir
Council Member
Send Message
I think I get it. I only don't understand why caran becomes garan since ‘book' is a noun, not an adjective?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Any word following 'the' mutates, because 'the' causes mutation, so Parf becomes Barf.

But all adjectives also mutate, so caran -> garan because it's an adjective modifying 'book'.

E.g.
Calen = Green
Aear galen = Green sea

Henneth = Window
I chenneth = The window
and using both mutations
I chenneth galen = The green window (must be stained glass)

If I can explain anything else (or more clearly) I will be happy to!

[Edited on 02/11/2015 by Galadivren]
Elladan and Elrohir
Council Member
Send Message
Oh I get it now... I just made a stupid mistake. I thought ‘parf' was ‘red' and ‘caran' ‘book' but it's of course the other way round >_<
Thanks a lot for your answers! For now, I don't have any questions anymore but I got the feeling that I will have to ask some more things as my studies proceed!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email