Register

Author Topic:
THalls
Council Member
Send Message
Post various wordings for the same word
on: March 06, 2015 01:55
hi...
first time here and brand new student, so forgive me if i come with beginner stuff.
I have found more than one wording for some words and I believe all are correct, but it's quite confusing. which one should I consider for memorizing?

for instance: heart: "hun" but also "gur"
or star: "elu", but also "elen"
I downloaded the Sindarin dictionary second edition 2014 J M carpenter. Is that OK?
thank you.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Hi there - that's my dictionary you mentioned!

There are two words for heart because one is (if you look at the entries in the dictionary it will tell you this too) your physical heart (hûn) and the other (gûr) is what we speak of when we talk about 'following our heart'.

The two words for star are separated by age. êl = the old, poetic word for star, seen in poetry and prayers, whereas gil = the Third Age, modern word for star.
THalls
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you very much. Very helpful. I did not go through the dictionary properly as I must get familiar with the mutations (!!!) first. I learn the words on the way, along with the mutation or plural examples.
I am determined to go on, though it looks like nothing I have learnt so far. quite difficult...
but sooo beautiful.
My son and my husband are making fun of me. they said I'd soon get pointed years.
I've submitted some exercises for correction but i don't know yet how this site works. Even for your reply I checked without thinking that I was answered, as no message was in my inbox. but i'll figure out in time.
Blessings.

dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
Your exercises to lesson 2 have been corrected. The remarks can be found in the workbook.
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
THalls
Council Member
Send Message
Many thanks to you all, dear friends
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email