Send Message
Post Sindarin Course advice
on: March 16, 2015 10:10
Hi, i have found this book:
"Pedin Edhellen
a Sindarin-Course
Thorsten Renk
Version 3.05 (July 21, 2010)"

What do you think of it? I thought of it as helpful, but as I heard on the internet there are many courses and books that are not quite accurate, I could use some advice on it.

thank you
LareowNorthan
Council Member
Send Message
Short answer: It is an excellent resource for Sindarin learners.
Long answer:
I find it to be a fair resource for looking at the grammar of Sindarin. It pairs well with the interactive course book on CouncilOfElrond. Personally, I like the tengwar passages at the start of each chapter, as this offers a chance for the reader to practice reading, writing, and seeing how the chapter's grammar rules would be used.
There are, however, some mistakes. Also, occasionally, the chapters might introduce too much too quickly, introduce Sindarin concepts not yet covered, or assume that you have a solid understanding of a language's grammatical structure (as a science major, I did find myself for the first few chapters extensively reviewing English language concepts that I had not studied in several years).
Faithfully,
Student of the North
Sindarin: No i brestanneth anírach tírad vi amar Enlgish: Be the change you wish to see in the world
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
It's a good resource, I used it myself.
I particularly like the way that vocabulary is introduced with the short passages as this is an effective way of teaching language.

There are, as Lareow has said though, errors, simply because it was written before some things were published. One that springs to mind early on is that the plural of 'en' is 'in', not 'enan'.
THalls
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you,
I have decided to use it additionally, after studying the CoE lessons. The short texts at the beginning are helpful and so poetic... (tengwar however... maybe later )
It's good opportunity to practice my English too, as it's not my mother tongue.

Galu!!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email