Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Post Word for preposition "off"?
on: April 11, 2015 02:37
I've looked in the dictionary and at the bottom of the mutations chart that shows various prepositions, but there's one I can't find. Is there a certain word for "off", or should I just use a negation of "on"? I'm trying to have one character scold another with the phrase "Have your feet fallen off?" in Sindarin. (The one being scolded is lagging far behind as her group is walking cross-country.)

I have "Tail lín dannen ___?" but no idea how to fill in the blank. Help?

[Edited on 04/11/2015 by Ireth_Telrunya]
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
As a contextual solution here, using danna- and adel (as an adverb) might make sense to a Sindarin-speaker. Or you could consider some negative past passive of taetha- — the verb showing the plural number in any event. (I wonder if *dandaetha- [n+t > -nd- or -nh-/-(n)th-] would mean "to detach", there being dan-gar- = "to undo" in PE17 p. 166.)

At least around 1959-60, the Eldarin root AWA which gave Q au- and oa(r) survived in Sindarin only in the form of the preposition o "from" and Tolkien noted that "none of the forms of the element *awa are found as a prefix in S[indarin]". (The War of the Jewels p. 366)

[Edited on 04/12/2015 by Elhath]
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, Elhath! I'm not familiar with the verb taetha-, but it sounds like it could work well. From what I can see in the dictionary, a literal translation of *dandaetha- would be "fasten against" or "fasten behind", which doesn't entirely make sense to me. Possibly udaethannen (with or without the accented u?) works as something close to "unfastened"?

[Edited on 04/11/2015 by Ireth_Telrunya]
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
Ireth_Telrunya said:Possibly udaethannen (with or without the accented u?) works as something close to "unfastened"?

Since one finds a similarly formed A-stem past participle prestannen in The Etymologies, I would say that is a plausible assumption.

[Edited on 04/13/2015 by Elhath]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email