Register

Author Topic:
Aidi
Council Member
Send Message
Post Tengwar graffiti hypothesis
on: April 28, 2015 12:10
Dear all,
I am a linguist by vocation and I find it wonderful to see that Tolkien's languages are studied so seriously and with such scientific rigor by so many of you.
I am currently doing some graffiti-related research and I have stumbled upon the following picture:
One of my colleagues suggested that the graffiti might be written in tengwar script. I would be most thankful if someone could confirm this hypothesis and translate the writing into latin alphabet.
Thank you in advance!
Best regards, Aidi
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Let's see here...

Sonibassm an oovm afcus eg enandamsn

...yeah, it's tengwar, but sadly it's gibberish.
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
It's Quenya style tengwar used for the Croatian language:
snobizam na obam fokus ne nenadmašan

According to google translate it would mean something like: snobbery on Obama not focus unsurpassed
But a native user of Croatian could probably improve this a lot!

[Edited on 04/28/2015 by dirk_math]
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
I stand corrected. Thanks, dirk_math!
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Aidi
Council Member
Send Message
In fact, this writing was documented in Zagreb, Croatia, so it is highly plausible that it is written in Croatian... However, the sentence as a whole doesn't really make sense to me (in the first place, it doesn’t even have a verb), although all the words (except 'obam', which doesn't mean anything really) do exist in my language. But the fact that someone is using tengwar to write Croatian is already interesting enough, so thank you very much for your help.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email