Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Post You know you're obsessed with Tolkien when...
on: May 13, 2015 03:04
Time for a fresh start and a slight change in the title to reflect that things are not all about the LoTR books and movies any longer.

Rules: This is pretty simple. You just post about all things Tolkien that occur to you at odd moments, especially when you're supposed to be doing something else, or when you find yourself obsessing over some little thing that relates to Tolkien.

As an example:

findemaxam48 posted: When your pastor at church says something about using time wisely and you and your sister both scribble down the Tolkien quote that parallels.
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
When for your theatre arts class's game of "The Wind Blows Those..." you say "The wind blows those who like LotR."
Image Image Love is the strongest force the world possesses - Mahatma Gandhi
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
When you and your friend start doing head casting for actors who could play Elves in a 'The Silmarillion' movie series.

Tom Hiddleston as Maeglin.
Henry Cavill as Finwë << my favourite casting.
Jonathon Rhys Meyers as Turgon.
Brad Pitt as Fingolfin (with the image he had in 'Interview with the Vampire'...

And many more... We went on for hours!

[Edited on 05/14/2015 by ItarildeSirfalas]
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah I see Henry Cavill as a possible Finwë or even Fëanor...
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message
When you use LOTR characters as examples in all your computer programming homework, so when at the end of the semester your teacher lets you animate a story from the Silmarillion for your final project, it is the best day of the semester! And then spend the next 4 weeks of your life, often working around the clock to make a 23 minute 3D animation of The Voyage of Earendil.
May it be when darkness falls, your heart will be true..
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
When you mishear someone's name and get excited because you think they're called Elwing... when in fact they're called Ellie.
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
PSK said:Yeah I see Henry Cavill as a possible Finwë or even Fëanor...

We've since decided that Michael Fassbender would be a brilliant Fëanor. So Henry Cavill stays as Finwë.
Image Image
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
YKYO when your parent can't stand you because all you ever do or say is LOTR stuff!

"I am burdened with glorious purpose"

Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
When you are at the cinema with friends watching The Avengers and you realize an actor looks so familiar but you can't place him. My friend knew who it was and would not tell me. Finally, I was like, tell me already. So he leans over and whispers loudly, "My precious." I got so excited that I sort of said way too noisily, "Andy Serkis!" and immediately clamped my hands over my mouth.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:When you are at the cinema with friends watching The Avengers and you realize an actor looks so familiar but you can't place him. My friend knew who it was and would not tell me. Finally, I was like, tell me already. So he leans over and whispers loudly, "My precious." I got so excited that I sort of said way too noisily, "Andy Serkis!" and immediately clamped my hands over my mouth.

I was the same as your friend, Lindarielwen! I noticed it instantly, and kept nudging my boyfriend on one side, and my friend on the other side, and kept saying "It's Andy Serkis!"... to be responded with: "Who?"

"Andy Serkis!... Gollum!" --- "Ohhh... oh yeah!"
Image Image
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
It's interesting how so many Tolkien references are in movies, cartoons and TV shows.

I was listening to the commentary for Game of Thrones and the director of one of the episodes admitted he uses LotR as inspiration for some of his scenes.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
When you're doing a crossword puzzle and you know the answer but you can't figure why it won't fit in the boxes, only to realize you're spelling the word Aragorn instead of Aragon.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
When you get put off your exam revision when your sister walks into your room, goes up to your Map of Middle Earth poster, points at Erebor and says "What's this place? It sounds kind of familiar." After I made her watch all three films with me!

And when you get put off your revision again a couple of days after when you recount the story to your dad, who is actually interested in these things and has read the book, and he says "That's the horsey place, right? Where the kingdom of Rohan is run from?" and you go along with his little joke and say, "No, that's Edoras," and you complain that you made your sister watch all three Hobbit films for nothing, and he says, "Oh, yes, that's what Erebor is! I remember now!" and it turns out he wasn't teasing you at all. He had actually forgotten. I think I need to disown my family.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
This one's kind of weird, but...

When you think the word "glorious," the first thing that comes to mind is Gildor Inglorion.

Welcome to the games, wolfbladequeen!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
When you are able to correct even Evil~Shieldmaiden on a slight inconsistency in her answers to the Realm of Vairë the Weaver 21 questions thread. Image Image
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
When your mother, who introduced you to Tolkien, thinks your obsessed.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
"I just love Hobbit feet!"

When all you talk about with your close friends on Facebook is Tolkien, and your other friends have no idea what you're talking about (e.g. one friend commented recently "Who is this Maedhros you keep talking about? And I thought Morgoth was a place where the Balrog lived."
Image Image
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
When a friend is moving away and you give her a Lego Gollum and the one Ring as a present, because it is what you talk about most, and also to prove her much she means to you by giving her your precious.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
When you notice certain things...like your gold colored multi ring decorated necklace has nine golden rings..
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
When you keep forgetting to water your flowers, so you make a sign for your door saying 'Water your plant or suffer the wrath of Vana!" It worked, too.

I Survived the Bridge of Khazad-Dum!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
When you don't walk by the garden balls in the craft store because you don't know who else may be watching.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
When everything others say sounds like a quote. All you need are a couple of the same words, sometimes just the inflection is enough. And when this happens, you and the nearest sibling then turn to each other and proclaim the quote in unison. Actually, this should be a sign of a Tolkien obsessed family.

[Edited on 06/08/2015 by Elfeawen Lomiondil]
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
When you freak when you realize that "Middle Earth" means "third planet from the sun" and you put two and two together and realize that you could be living in the 9th Age of the world!
Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
... when you see an ad for some sports company that says "Not all who wander are lost" and freak out.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
When you Tolkien Society (yes, THAT one in England!) membership needs to be renewed after the first year, and you renew it for the maximum of four years possible.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
when you watch the movies, and try to talk to the characters, telling them do this or that, or agreeing with them.

Edhelharn
Council Member
Send Message
When you read through your yearbook and are delighted when you see Tolkien or LotR quotes in there. And then you try and say exactly which book or chapter or character said it.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
when you have selective hearing, tuned to LotR, or Hobbit

Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message
When you know more of Elrond's pedigree than your own,...
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
When you are traveling, and you finally find wifi in the airport, and the first thing you do is check COE. When your airline shows BOTFA, you have a new favorite airline. When you find out from the in flight magazine that The Hobbit has just been translated into Hawaiian, you want to read it even though you don't understand Hawaiian.

The Lonely Mountain is Mauna Mehameha!
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
When you are convinced Tolkien (since it can be a degree in college) should be a credit in highschool.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
When you go on CoE on your phone during class.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Estelanor Of The Shire
Council Member
Send Message
When Elfeawen's post:
When your airline shows BOTFA, you have a new favorite airline.
Makes you wish you were flying with that airline.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
When your friend's nickname you Bilbo/Frodo because you're short... and they know you won't take too much offence because you're a Tolkien fan.

(I'm unfortunately 5"2, and have been nicknamed Bilbo or Frodo by most of my friends! That and my cosplay doesn't help! )

[Edited on 06/14/2015 by ItarildeSirfalas]
Image Image
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
When you write about the books on all of your finals.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email