Register

Author Topic:
RunyaFlame
Council Member
Send Message
Post Help with Translation?
on: May 25, 2015 11:46
Hi there!

I'm pretty new here and I wonder if anyone could help me with a good translation of the word "sister" or "little sister" and "big sister", as I seem to be unable to find good translations online. Everywhere I look I find different translations, so maybe you could help me?

Thank you so much!

And it would be great if you had a link to somewhere I can find the words in feanors tengwar?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
The attested words that we have for sister are:
muinthel = dear sister
nîth = sister (homophone with nîth = young)
thêl = sister
or for someone unrelated by blood
gwathel = sworn sister

I did propose a way of saying younger/older sister I think, let me have a hunt for the post.

Edit - found it, it was on another forum actually! My proposal was using Nethig for 'little sister' as -ig is the diminutive suffix. I don't really have a suggestion for 'big sister' other than turning it into a sentence along the lines of 'older sister'.

[Edited on 05/28/2015 by Galadivren]
RunyaFlame
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you so much für your help!
What would be your suggestions for older and younger sister?

P.S. I hope I haven't misunderstood something, english isn't my native language...
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
My suggestion for younger sister is 'little sister' - Nethig. There isn't really an easy way of saying 'older sister'. Sindarin doesn't really have a comparative (we could say 'sister that has age beyond' but then it becomes an entire sentence), and all words that mean 'old' mean just that: ancient, old, something that has been around for a very long time.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email