Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Fracturing of Arnor ~ OOC
on: June 30, 2015 12:41
I'm putting this RP idea out here in hopes some of the great writers of CoE RP would maybe like to partake in an interesting (to me anyway) RP of this Middle Earth history.

It would be an attempt at a Tolkien historical RP beginning in Annuminas in its waning days. The year is 775 of the Third Age. The City of Annuminas was the grand city of Elendil which he built upon the shore of Lake Evendim, but several centuries on, is falling into disrepair. It is still the seat of the Throne of Arnor, for Elendur, the reigning King of Arnor, had commenced an ambitious construction project planned by his father King Valandur. Having seen the need of a fortified stronghold city for the defence of the Kingdom, the City of Fornost had been planned. Valandur gave his son Elendur charge to oversee its construction. He had hoped to see its completion, but the lack of resources and manpower had caused delays in its finishing, and now, with King Elendur knowing his life was reaching his last years, charged his son Prince Eärendur with oversight of Fornost's completion.

Prince Eärendur would assume the crown in two years (777). The City of Annúminas has been declining over the years with less and less population living there. The trend was for the younger families to go to Fornost to live and work, and the Kingdom of Arnor as a whole was slowly shifting its core there as the new city neared completion.

To the south at the tip of the Weather Hills, the great watchtower of Amon Sûl was intact and was a center of power of Arnor with it's Palantir. Other places to note would be Bree, at this time inhabited by men as hobbits weren't mentioned as settling in Bree until 300 years later in the year 1050, and Tharbad to the south, a major point of commerce with its bridge and sea-going river boats. Earendur's eldest son is Amliath, and for this tale, the younger sons will be twins, named Cäontar and Daúremir, born in 740 making them 35 years of age.

This tale will be mostly court intrigue and strife and such between the factions of Arnor and Eärendur's sons. There would be the early Rhuadur/Cardolan/Arthedain fractures beginning to show along with the sibling rivalry between the younger twins and their older brother Amliach, heir to the throne of Arnor. There also would be friction between the twins, and each of them had their area of military responsibility (Daúremir in East/Rhuadur, & Cäontar in the South/Cardolan). Any characters outside the men of Arnor would likely be Elven diplomats from Rivendell and the western ports, men from Gondor, and men from Rhovanion.

This RP would be kept within the confines of Middle Earth canon but allow some leeway for artistic license and I'm hoping there would be enough interest in such an RP in this historical setting. If you would be interested, post your expression of interest and/or character profiles here, and/or you can PM me.

A bit more background...

King Elendur - He will pass away in the year 777. This RP begins in 775.
Eärendur - Elendur's son and heir apparent. In this tale he has been overseeing the building of Fornost Erain.

The Children of Eärendur are
Amlaith - the eldest in the line of Isildur (named by Tolkien and is currently 49 years of age (HoME XII))

Bettina, a daughter born in 733 making her 42 years of age. (fictional - with few exceptions, Tolkien never named the women born into the royal line in the third age)

Cäontar and Daúremir, twins born in 740 making them 35 years of age at the time of this tale. (there were two other sons as their rivalry led to the division of Arnor in the year 863 of the Third Age.

For the most part the three brothers don't get along, especially the twins with Amlaith of which whom they are jealous of his birthright as the eldest son.

Bettina for the most part remains aloof of her brothers' bickering and battles, but she has thoughts of possibly becoming queen after her brothers kill each other. To this end she has dedicated herself to studies of the lore of Numenor, and when she has the ear of her father and he is lamenting his sons attitude toward each other, will subtly remind him that there were queens in Numenor.

Cäontar is serving in the Royal Army of Arnor as a lieutenant commander, and is assigned to the southern watch (Cardolan).

Daúremir is serving in the Royal Army of Arnor as a lieutenant commander, and is assigned to the eastern watch (Rhuadur).

The grandsons as is their duty do their part in the army and are quite skilled in tactics and military strategy, but in secret have been gathering loyalties to themselves among the rank and file soldiers, in effect creating their own internal networks within the ranks of the King's army. Of course all loyalties are to King Elendur, and to Prince Eärendur, but these sub-loyalties to each of the grandsons would flow under the surface, with granddaughter Bettina manipulating things to her advantage.

[Edited on 09/17/2016 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I am intrigued!

Will the siblings be played by you, Lord Arveleg?

How about a court lady and the son of the royal horse master join in this fascinating tale?
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I was going to have the three siblings of Prince Eärendur be major NCEs, so after the initial post for them by me, anyone could write for them. I would have my own character or two. The only one of the siblings canonically limited in the future would be Amliath, who was the eldest and was part of the line between Elendil and Aragorn. I think with all that went on in a short period of time, with Fornost being built and occupied as the major city of Arnor with the gradual abandonment of Annuminas, and the splitiing of the Kingdom into three when Eärendur dies in the year 861, there had to be a lot of sibling rivalry, and I am of the opinion that Eärendur wasn't that strong-willed to have it come to the Kingdom of Arnor being divided.

A Lady of the court and a son of the Royal Horse Master would be great characters! Love your writing Cenor and it would be great to have you write a part of this!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Okay, will most of this rp be centered on the court? Or where the siblings are?

I am thinking Gytha for the lady and Adrian for the horse master's son.

Thank you for your warm welcome! I enjoy writing with you as well!
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I have a primary scene and a couple secondary scenes. The primary one will be set in the decaying City of Annuminas. There would be court factions here especially among the younger folk who sense Prince Earendur as weak. The two secondary scenes will be in the newly constructed, and in parts still under construction Fortress City of Fornost Erain where Prince Earendur will be at the beginning. The other secondary scene, where the siblings will be at first is the Watchtower of Amon Sul. I'm still ironing out the details of the introductory post.

I like the characters you present! I'm hoping this isn't too ambitious.

As far as the RP goes, I'll write for a character in each scene, and they will eventually merge their story lines in the future.

One character I am considering is the King's Royal Messenger. He/she would be privy to a lot of information and gossip from all the three areas.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
Hi Arveleg! Your story sounds quite fascinating. I have been interested in trying to get back into RPing here with such excellent writers such as yourself (and Cenor! ). Any chance you'd have room for one more? I have no idea for characters as of yet, and I'd want to do some more research. If you'd like to see any of my writing, there are a couple of threads I'm working on (Swallowed by the Shadow is one). Let me know!
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Mae govannen Dinenlasse! You are most welcome to join, come up with characters, and help with this tale! I have been reading your other RP tales here, and even thought of joining into one of them at one time. Love your epic style of writing! As for this tale, I had at one time written a bit of a fanfic on paper (back late last century when I did little more on the internet than email), and used it as an outline for this. It may be a bit before this gets going, but I am working on it. I've left this out there to see if anyone would be interested, and it warms my heart that you would consider adding your great writing skills to this tale!
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Hi Arveleg! Dinen told me yesterday about your new RP. I can see a whole lot of possibilities here to explore. I could take over one of the twins, perhaps? I think I could deal with sibling rivalry. And I tend to be quite comfortable writing several characters at the same time.
My summer season is slowly drawing to an end, so more time for writing, hopefully.
Will you have me?
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Nifredil said:Hi Arveleg! Dinen told me yesterday about your new RP. I can see a whole lot of possibilities here to explore. I could take over one of the twins, perhaps? I think I could deal with sibling rivalry. And I tend to be quite comfortable writing several characters at the same time.
My summer season is slowly drawing to an end, so more time for writing, hopefully.
Will you have me?

Yes! Yes! Would gladly have you! Another of the epic writers!

Aside from a rather lengthy introductory post I have nearly written that includes the opening scene with the twins, they would likely be NCE and free for others to write. If you wish to take on board Cäontar, that would be good, as I have a bit written that involves Daúremir. I will try and get the opener posted by this weekend (no promises though). It may give ideas for others to submit some character bios here.

Thanks much for having an interest!

Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
Just a note, Amlaith's name is Sindarin and so are his descendants. So it may be worth keeping in mind when creating names for characters. It could be a point of contention for those who choose Sindarin names over Quenyan (i.e. new folkses over traditionalists...). Just a thought.

As for my own character(s), I was thinking of playing a stonemason. Perhaps he could be an adviser to the royal household on the matters of building and such? I wonder if he could make the argument that Fornost is a better choice for the capital because it is less decrepit than Annuminas since he knows how sturdy buildings are and so forth?

I'd also like to play another character, but I am yet uncertain. Does anyone need a lady wife?

Also, thank you for the warm welcome, Arveleg. I am looking forward to this thread, once I get ideas together for characters.

[Edited on 09/02/2015 by Dinenlasse]
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you for your welcome, Arveleg! As you called me an epic writer, I am now feeling compelled to come up with a couple of court intrigues of epic scale

My wish for his RP would be to always know with a perfect clarity here we want to go with each storyline and twist, in order not to get lost in them, or end up stone-walled. With all the creative liberty in between, of course!

I will be happy to take over Cäontar, but I would appreciate an insight in his personality. Also, if there is need for sibling rivalry, we need to decide beforehand, what that rivalry is about, the characters history and past conflicts. Once that is done, I am sure other characters will come along quite nicely

I'm looking forward to this!
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Dinenlasse, feel free to use any naming convention like.If you wish to name the twins with Sindarin names that you think would suit, please do so. Let me know so I can edit the intro. Daúremir and Cäontar are only working NCE names I made up long ago. As for naming of any characters I may introduce, they will be whatever, as my character's tags are secondary to the tale.

A Stonemason is a great idea. There would be quite a few working in Fornost I would think. And a wife of one of the princes, or the current King Elendur, or one of the characters would be interesting too!

Nifredil, as far as personality of the princes, that is really an open book that can be defined. Outside of a bit of angst between them, and toward their elder brother Amlaith, personalities could be anything. I have developed in my intro that one, and to a lesser extent the other, could be a bit arrogant and maybe somewhat of a hothead. Initially it was Cäontar, but have considered it to be Daúremir instead. So feel free to develop as you like. The sibling rivalry would be seeded in the succession of the crown, which eventually leads to the break up of Arnor into Rhuadur, Cardolan, and Arthedain in TA 861 when King Eärendur dies. All three princes "get a cut" of the Kingdom. To break a single Kingdom into three, there had to be some really heavy and deep-seeded rivalry and animosity I would think, and the basis of this tale is to look at the 86 years that led up to that event. I think any past conflicts pre-dating TA 775 where this tale begins can be written out as memories or insights that characters have. If you wish to have it all laid out beforehand, then please do write up a 'prequel' post here to be used as background.

I have considered an idea that there may be a sister or sisters involved as well, but haven't written anything up as yet. I am quite sure that there were likely many unnamed daughters born to the Kings and Chieftains through the generations between Elendil and Aragorn II. I have two characters going in which I have written into the Annuminas introduction. I will strive to have that vetted and the RP thread opened this weekend, or if I am met with RL delays, then during the next week.

For your review, I will post the draft intro of the twins intro here:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Amon Sûl – Late Summer – Year 775 of the Third Age

Cäontar and Daúremir stood across from each other looking at the Palantir. The twin grandson princes were putting their combined thought into seeing what was taking place in Annúminas. They were sure their father Eärendur would try and get King Elendur to relocate his seat of power to Fornost, but their grandfather loved the old city. Surely it had to do with their father's differences as to where to rule from. He wanted the King to come to Fornost so he could control his succession to power. He also wished to gain the Palantir of Annúminas. Amlaith lingered in Fornost as well.

But what the twins saw in the visions surprised them. Surely events had caught Eärendur off guard as well. The King would not have any of the talk of moving. He was staying in Annúminas and he was going to rule from there. Appearing younger, there was no sense that he was ready to lay down his life. It was thought the King was in ill health, but he appeared fit. Daúremir kept his stare fixed on the Palantir but said,

"Brother, you know that the Kingship of Arnor will pass first to father, then to our elder brother Amliath, and to his son thereafter. Where does that leave us?"

"Not now..."
Cäontar whispered impatiently, not wanting to lose the concentration. They bothstood silent and stared....

There appeared a woman, the King's servant Emerwen. She staggered outside the doors and turned about. She was either drunk, panicked, or both. She made way to the stables, and Cäontar had to get Daúremir to focus again as he nearly wet himself with thoughts of what he wanted to do with her. The faded vision re-focused, though it showed another girl, a younger one with her ear pressed against a door. Daúremir guessed it was inside the Inn, but he wasn't sure. Again Emerwen re-appeared looking like she would be taken by several men. One of their faces moved by as the woman was left holding a pair of boots. Cäontar seethed at that face and the vision disappeared even while Daúremir tried to see the shape of Emerwen's body.

"THAT CUTS IT!"

Cäontar yelled as his fist crashed into Daúremir's face, knocking him backward in a stagger. Cäontar drew his knife and slammed Daúremir against the wall before he could recover.

"If you weren't minutes younger than me and I wouldn't be charged with murder, I'd gut you right here and now!"

Several of Dauremir's men came in drawing swords. But they were met by an equal number of Cäonter's men. They all kept their weapons out and a wary eye on each other, but they all turned to watch the brotherly quarrel, looking for a cue to fight. Cäontar ranted on while Daúremir looked at him, not struggling.

"Why did you have to send that half-breed Malkin and his hooligans to Annúminas for? Everyone knows he works for you!"

"Relax brother..."

Daúremir said, gently pushing the knife out of his face. Cäontar said,

"Don't you find it odd that none of the grandsons are there?"
"Not really. Aimlith is there by proxy, and so am I."

Daúremir replied as he stood up rubbing his jaw. Cäontar went on even as he sheathed his knife. This brought the ring of steel as everyone else sheathed their swords.

"Yeah, but Malkin? Seriously, you could have sent someone a little less… rough."
"Well, I think Malkin will serve well. Besides, I trust him."

Daúremir said as he straightened out his uniform. Cäontar said,

"I have people there too. They are much less… shall we say, blatant."

“I would be disappointed if you didn’t have anyone there brother. I suspect Amliath has his spies there too. In fact, I know it.”

Cäontar pondered the hilt of his sheathed knife, then said,

"Come brother, let us see some more, then we will talk of our plans, then we will go to our assigned duties, you in Rhuadur, me south to Tharbad."

The men all went back to resting knowing they all had long marches coming in the days ahead. The brothers again stood opposite each other, turning their combined wills toward Annúminas....

Scheme upon scheme were stacked in the city of Elendil this night. Everyone with their own agenda. All hoping their grandfather ceded the Kingship to Eärendur soon and go to rest with their fathers. All was set long ago, but it seemed that differing ideas as to how it all would take place were afoot. The twins had both agreed on one thing... with their father as King, they could work their will upon him over the coming years, undermining his faith in Amlaith. But this woman Emerwen must have bewitched King Elendur, for since she had come to the palace, Elendur had been well and truely re-invigorated! Right now, it appeared to everyone that Elendur he would live another 10 or 20 years!

The palantir then showed them a vision of two elves in court. Too perceptive the Rivendell elves are. They had to be careful. And there is Hanavía, commander of the secretive Rangers. He took orders only from the King. Where does he stand on succession? Ostensibly with the King, and after succession, with the new King. But to have one such as he in their camp.... or even to know what his thoughts are. And there is the woman's brother, loyal servant of their father. Yes...

The visions faded into haze. There was interference being cast forth. They were using the master stone too much and alerted somebody at another stone! The twins quickly shut their minds to it and covered it.

"That was close!" Daúremir said as they stepped back. He looked to his brother.

"Yes." Cäontar said... ”Too close. Hopefully our wills together managed to keep our grandfather, father, or elder brother, whoever it was using the Stone of Annuminas from sensing our thoughts. Since this stone of Amon Sul is a master Stone, I think we may be safe.”

He said as he looked out over the land.

”We can hope.”

Dauremir remarked. Cäontar then said,

”We need to move out in the morning. Let us get to camp before the unit commanders have realized we had been away for so long."

Daúremir nodded and they left the great chamber of Amon Sûl. The guard of Amon Sûl nodded to the princes and their men as they left, unknowing of any of the council taken in the high chamber. Soon they approached where the soldiers were camped in the hills. They rested that night and were up and ready as the sun rose the next day. The brothers talked long before a nod and a handshake as they parted. Cäontar said,

"May you do well in the rough highlands of Rhuadur brother."

Daúremir replied,

"May you do well in the south my brother."

They each smiled, and they both turned away. Under his breath, Daúremir mumbled, "imbecile" while Cäontar mumbled, "idiot"…

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Any comments are welcome.

I'm currently editing the Annuminas portion.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Wonderful intro Lord Arveleg! I look forward to starting this RP!

Here are my characters, pardon the lack of completeness on the character's personalities but I prefer to let them develop over writing.

http://www.councilofelrond.com/rpgcharacter/gytha-colme/

http://www.councilofelrond.com/rpgcharacter/adrian/
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Those are two good characters Cenor!
I should actually post mine in the database.
That was really a rough draft of the intro, as i have managed to merge them into one with 3 sub parts. I'll wait a bit to see if there is any comment/input on it before opening up the tale.

[Edited on 09/06/2015 by Arveleg]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
I like your characters Cenor!

So, I understand that the twins are feeling left out of the power play and are planning to turn on their family? Are they working as a unit, or do they have it in them to betray one another? What is your plan? Are they really that insidious as to plan a murder and a coup d'etat, or have you envisioned it otherwise?

By the way, speaking about reasons for tension and conflict, I would suggest not to forget very private reasons. Any relationship between friends or brothers can go south when a woman is involved. If your plan is to have the twins playing as a team and later turn on each other, could perhaps a love triangle be the reason for it?
In the Realm of Ulmo
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
This RP is not scripted, so all that may or may not come out in the actual tale itself. That is a very good idea Nifredil! Could make for an interesting tale! Maybe we work a love triangle into it?

[Edited on 09/17/2016 by Arveleg]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
I understand, but you must have some ideas yourself regarding that. And as you'll be playing them anyway - as NPCs or other - we might just as well decide on it. Or should we just leave them al as NPCs? It is a very viable option as both twins are supposed to be at their stations and not at Annuminas or Fornost.

Speaking about other chars, I am thinking about an ambassador from an elven realm. It could be any of the three, but most likely Imladris. And, I might make her a female, of proud Noldor origin. Taking into account that Tolkien's Middle-earth is primarily a male-run world, everybody would be quite welcome to be somewhat sexist (hehehe)
In the Realm of Ulmo
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you!

She sounds quite intriguing Nifredil! I look forward to learning more about her.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Hi again!
I just love planning stories! So please bear with me
Tossing ideas around with Dinen, we came up with the following (being offered to you for inspection and, hopefully, approval):

I'd ask Rhudaur to be given to Cäontar, so I could play with a cave troll or two
And what about this: When Eärendur's wife was about to give birth, the prince threw a great party (you know, like it was done in the Medieval times), and struck a deal with one of his closest friends to bind his baby daughter to the youngest prince. But instead of one, two princes were born! So the girl, as promised, was bound to Daúremir. What if this is the time she is to come to the court to be wed with the prince? But instead, she falls in love with Cäontar... But duty comes first, for everybody, and she marries Daúremir. - Now that would give us eventually a perfectly good reason for the twins to grow estranged and eventually for a conflict to emerge.

The character of the Elven ambassador is slowly emerging. I'm thinking she's been newly appointed to Arnor after the previous one decided to Sail. She previously served as a representative at Thranduil's court. So she'll find humans quite illogical creatures, with all those conflicting emotions and brief love affairs. She will be a real lady, noble-born, and wise, but also condescending and seeing humans as "the younger race".

Any comments? Suggestions?
In the Realm of Ulmo
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
I am on board with you, Nif (partially since our ideas were synthesized ).

In accordance with Nif's ideas, I'd be playing the lady wife, an obedient, dutiful stereotypical noblewife. But she enjoys the role - she's well-versed in how to run a household and all sorts of decorum. She doesn't like stirring the pot, especially since she's been raised to not be a rabble rouser. She's not stupid but actually quite intelligent and perceptive and understands politics, even if she doesn't influence them. So, essentially, the least likely to intentionally cause problems. Oh, and she's also a romantic. Quite a change from the shieldmaiden- or less-stereotypical characters I usually write.

As for the stonemason, I think he'll start in Annuminas and then eventually move to Fornost with his family. My goal this week is to get a name and a back story for him. Unfortunately I have not given him any thought this week - the last few days/weeks have been so chaotic.

I had pitched the idea of Rhudaur to Nif without realizing he was assigned to Cardolan. I admit, I haven't had time to read your intro draft, Arveleg, but that is next on my list. I just wanted to get my ideas out first. Anyways, I thought whoever lived there could face trolls and quite possibly cold-drakes and/or fell wolves. But I need to do more research to see what would and would not be feasible.

I can ramble on for ages so I'll stop right now and go brainstorm some names.

Take care all!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
This all sounds really good! Great ideas! Nifredil, I didn't mean to seem short in my last post here. Was at work and was being hassled to ... work. I'd rather write RP I do have some ideas about it and will try and outline them shortly. That draft post was something I threw together some time ago, and so at it stands, is a really rough draft put out there to give a sort of an idea on how the twins are, etc. So if any names you want changed and such, I'll do it.

And Dinenlasse, I hear you on chaotic weeks. Had a bit if one myself. Work is crazy busy, and I'm dealing with an abscess tooth, so concentrating on writing and editing and such has been a bit slow. So we have time. I have a couple primary characters I'll get the profiles up for, plus any NCE characters I may wish to use at first. So we have time to get things in order.

Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
Ouch, Arveleg! I hope you're ok!

Now that work has slowed a bit, I have names for my lady wife, her family, and my stonemason. Feel free to let me know your thoughts:

Lady wife - Tuiriellë (maiden garlanded with spring)
Her father - Morconer (bear-man)
Her mother - Tasarë (willow-tree)
Older brother - Morháno (black-brother)
Older brother - Nehtëon (spear-man)
Younger sister - Vanilohtë (fair blossom)
Younger sister - Helyanwë (rainbow)

And I gave my stonemason the name Sarlindo (singer of small stones).

Don't worry, I won't be using the family for much beyond the first few posts, I am sure. And I'll handle them all.

Thoughts?

[Edited on 09/10/2015 by Dinenlasse]
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Characters:

NAME:Hanavía
AGE: Born on Mettarë, 744 of the Third Age according to the King's Reckoning.
RACE: Dúnedain with mostly pure Dúnedain lines.
HERITAGE:
Father's line – Halavía of Annúminas, Dúnedain of the North
Mother's line – Gaelon of House Hollin of Annúminas.

Last of three children Gaelon bore. He had a much older brother named
Hanavís, and a sister a little older than he named Farcíen.
When he was 12 years of age, he, his mother, and his sister went to Rivendell to live and study lore. But Hanavía studied more than just the lore and skill of reading and writing. he read much of the days of old, and the histories of the war that led to the death of the High King Elendil and his son Anorien. He tried to learn also of Isildur, but little was written or spoken of the darkness that seemed to prevail at the mention of his name. So Hanavía sought knowledge of all he could, and in so doing, had foresight that a darkness had descended upon Arnor that was slowly eating away at the kingdom. And so he learned all he could of battles and tactics of old.

APPEARANCE: Long dark hair, its length is to his lower back which he
sometimes tied into a tail. He has a rough short dark beard. Height of around 6 feet 6 inches, and weighs in about 245 Lb.
He has a rugged and muscular stature from the years of training as a soldier.
Wears dark-gray rough leather pants, a leather sleeveless vest, and black worn leather boots. He has a grey cloak he uses mostly, A scar he has on the right side of his throat
where he was wounded in battle with a northern white wolf.

PERSONALITY: Hanavía is usually rather quiet and very observant, but speaks to the point when he does speak. A hard shell is about him as he is alone for the most part. He was relatively good hearted and is proud to serve the King of Arnor. He was also a practical man and politically savvy. He became closewith the men he served with, and he would write and receive letters from his sister regularly.

STRENGTHS: Hanavía has a deep ability to learn and retain
most of that which he was taught. Hanavía became a worthy horseman, mixing skills of all he learned from. But mostly did he learn his riding ways from his time spent inRivendell. He became an excellent bowman from his teachers there as well. He refined this skill when shooting from a mount, and became a teacher among his peers
the skills he learned so well. On foot, Hanasían could move with great stealth in various terrains, nearing the silence of the Elves who taught him. He learned much of this from the sons of Elrond,
especially Elrohir whom he was closest. His skills with knife and sword were good, as his father taught himself much in his youth. He evermore enhanced this knowledge with unique styles of Elves of which he would practice. He had a good tactical mind and was not foolish, but was not afraid to take chances.

WEAKNESSES: Hanavía liked to drink ale. He had since childhood an emotional wall that seemed to keep him distant from most save his mother and his sister. After he joined the King's Army, this detachment led him to carouse and he could sometimes be found in the shadier parts of the towns he would visit. Though a dependable soldier, that vision of the darkness that forshadowed Arnor weighed upon him evermore as the years passed. This seemed to increase since his wound in a fight with a white northern wolf. Of this wound there was rumor that the bite and claw that almost had slain him was poison,
but that was not the case. It was a gnawing depression, and Hanavía’s strength of mind usually kept his depression at bay. His somewhat shaded activity when on his own time were never harmful to others, and was his way of dealing with the demons within himself.

WEAPONS: Long sword of Westernesse, Elven bow, and an assortment of knives. The sword was a family heirloom of his father's line and was carried in the War of the Alliance. Its full history was not known. Hanavía was obsessed with knives and collected them. The Elven bow was presented to him by Elladan when he was leaving Rivendell for his worthiness in arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hanavia was rather young by the accounting of the Dúnedain, but he had been given by the King command of a company of men, some much older than he. This company had some traits that many in the formal commands found unsound. But their unique quality was noted by Eldamil, the Prince's second. Eldamil had foresight to contract the company to the prince, and they were paid a sum well above what the common soldiers were paid. This they kept hidden well, knowing that if word got out, it could lead to trouble. They were given only standard pay like everyone else, but Hanavía saw that they got the proper amount. The only others that came close to the total pay of this company was that of the elite King's Guard.

Hanavía has under his direct command Kaldil, Kallin (brothers), Maldir, & Malavil. Hanavía's command are referred to as "Rangers" which at the time was considered to be lesser than even the regular army soldiers by the more prestigious Royal Guards. But they were an elite force and they wore the rayed star that would later be worn by Aragorn and the Dúnedain Rangers of LotR. (Aranarth and his brothers took the Ranger name and ways after the demise of Arthedain in 1975 of the third age, becoming secretive and shadowy folk who battled the forces of evil, and though feared, were considered less than desirable & scorned by many) They would often operate independently, but could be attached to other commands as needed. Hanavía got his orders directly from the King through those the King trusted. At this time they are attached to the King's Guard of Annuminas for the King had summoned them.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Name: Caila
Race: Edain – Northern Dunedain of Rhuadurian descent
Height/Weight: 6 foot 154 Lb/70 Kg
Marital Status: Widow
Appearance: Shapely lithe frame that masked her true strength. Hair is long and slightly curly, nearly black with a dark brown tint when in direct sunlight. Eyes are deep grey that sometimes has a silvery gleam to them. Her skin appears pale against her dark hair, but she tans easy in the summer sun.

Skills: Caila learned, and knows some herb-lore which she learned from her mother. She has some abilities with a healing hand. As for weapons, she learned some skill with a knife from her father who enjoyed making them for her.

Personality & Bio: Caila was the elder child of a wood worker. Her mother worked in the Royal Kitchen but had skills that she taught Caila. She seemed mysterious and distant, and spoke little of her ancestry. She died shortly after the birth of her younger sister. As she got older, she would work with her father and travel with him when he had need to go to Bree. Caila was always a quiet and withdrawn child who usually kept to herself. Remembering what her mother had taught her, she desired to learn more of herblore and the healing arts. She learned to read and write, and to always listen and learn. Because of her knowledge beyond her years, she, like her mother, became evermore mysterious. As she grew to adulthood, she became restless, and started to become wayward. Ker desire for more knowledge had led her to discover. Secrets her mother kept well hidden. In time, she had removed all there was to her own secret place, and she explored the books and recipes and potions that her mother had come to possess. Only when she fell in love with a Palace Guard did she seldom go to her secret place. When it was found that her mother had worked in the kitchens, Caila too was given work there. But it was not long before the King had noticed her, and requested that she be his maidservant. Shortly after, the Palace Guard was given orders to take up a command on the Eastern Watch under the King’s grandson Daúremir. That was two years ago.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(Origial Post: Yeah, I made it through the worst, which is the infection. On two different antibiotics, and it has receded in pain I go in to the dentist on Monday evening.

Great characters! Look forward to their tales! Its part of the fun to write in characters and write them out while bringing in others as the story flows.

I'll be writing the roles of Hanavia and his men, and the spy Malkin. I didn't change these names in the intro. I got story thread opened this week. Write On!)

[Edited on 09/18/2016 by Arveleg]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
It's good that you're on the mend, Arveleg I hope the dentist manages to improve the things even more.

My elven lady has a name now: Atarielle "maiden garlanded with nobility" - courtesy of Dinen!!! She's the daughter of one of the architects who once worked on Gondolin. She used to serve as a representative (one of) of Elrond in Thranduil's court, but then she asked to be relieved - and was sent to Annuminas instead. So she is quite unused to humans and their... peculiar behavior. hehehe
I could have her arrive, with her entourage, of course.

Once Arveleg has posted, I will know better what I want to do with Cäontar character-wise. I am sure he will write himself, as all of them do eventually.
In the Realm of Ulmo
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I hope you are well Lord Arveleg!

Wonderful characters, I am curious to see how they shape

Just a thought from reading "Fog on the Barrow Downs" last night.

He chose for himself from the pile a brooch set with blue stones, many-shaded like flax-flowers or the wings of blue butterflies. He looked long at it, as if stirred by some memory, shaking his head, and saying at last:
'Here is a pretty toy for Tom and his lady! Fair was she who long ago wore this on her shoulder. Goldberry shall wear it now, and we will not forget her!'

Maybe someone would like to include the Mysterious Lady and owner of this fine brooch in this RP. Just a suggestion and I'm not sure if the owner of the brooch would be alive in this setting....
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
I echo Nif's thoughts, Arveleg. Hopefully all will be well soon! You're in my thoughts!

I've decided I am a self-admitted whiz on Tolkienesque names. I have wordlists in Sindarin and Quenyan so if you need help ever coming up with a name...*raises hand excitedly* Poor Nif had to listen to me go on and on and on regarding the names of my characters the other day!

Cenor, I like the idea of incorporating the brooch into the thread. Perhaps one of the ladies of Cardolan could wear it! I am sure it could be worked in.

Lastly, I've dabbled a bit for my first post, and if you don't mind, I'd like to share...

"“And so it was that King Ar-Pharazón succumbed to the whims of Sauron and sealed the fate of the Númenoreans all those years ago. To this day, mankind still heeds the Ban of the Valar; no man may cross the Great Sea upon pain of death.” The tutor’s voice droned on like a honeybee, luring his students into a heavy stupor. Of them there were three, two young men and a woman. The eldest, Morháno, sat at the far end of a long wooden table, staring at the tutor with glazed-over eyes. The second eldest, Nehtëon, inscribed designs into the table with a small dagger. Lastly, Tuiriellë rested her chin on her hand, absentmindedly drumming her fingers on the worn wood and wishing desperately for the lesson to end. Bright shafts of sunlight streamed in through the room’s windows, mocking them by highlighting the table with warmth and the promise of summer. She sighed restlessly and shared a knowing glance with both of her brothers. It’s much too nice to be caged inside like a bird, she thought restlessly. And still the honey bee droned on lazily."

[Edited on 09/15/2015 by Dinenlasse]
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
(six weeks on)

I haven't forgotten about this. Things have been a bit busy real life so haven't been able to put much time into the fun stuff.
I'm giving myself a deadline of 30 November to have this up and going. Hopefully it will be sooner. My apologies for the delay.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Mae govannen .... my apologies for letting this fail before it started. Life has been both busy and challenging the last half year. Though I'm not promising to get this going any time soon, I do hope to ease my way back in here and hope to get something going with RP writing.

Hoping all is well with Dinenlasse, Nifredil, & Cenor!
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
Hi Arveleg! Are you still interested in pursuing this thread? I am still game if you are!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Dinenlasse said:Hi Arveleg! Are you still interested in pursuing this thread? I am still game if you are!

Yes, I would like to finally get this started. I'll see if I can get the RP thread starter posted ... I have it pretty much written in my story archive. I'll go look for it! Thanks for the encouragement Dinenlasse!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I'm still here and I'm looking forward to this rp!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Mae govannen.... Lady Cenor, it is great you are still interested in this. Enjoyed writing with you in the Darkest RP.

I had a review of what I had put together and thought it may be a bit heavy with all the locations and such. Then I thought ... what the hell... We'll go for it. I have an edit to the background post which is mostly like the one I posted here in this thread. I WILL have it sorted and up this week, and we'll see where it all goes.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
As did I, Lord Arveleg! Your plan sounds perfect, I look forward to role playing together again.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I'm going to start this RP in Annuminas as that is where one of my main characters is. I plan on introducing a couple along the way. I will likely throw out several initial NC characters along the way that that will be free for anyone to use. If anyone wants to start their character somewhere else, like in Fornost, or Amon Sul, write it up and post it! I'm pretty open to see where the story arcs go. I'm thinking there will be some court intrigue and such, and there will be spies for the brothers and such. Hope I give you all enough to go on with my Annuminas post.

Edit: I put the Amon Sul post about the brothers in to give insight into what Arnor was in store for.

I also introduced my main character Hanavia, and some of his men under his command. I had more to post, but it's 1 AM here and I'm quite tired. Don't wait for me though, feel free to post! If anyone wants to write characters in Fornost or in the King's Palace in Annuminas or where or whatever, feel free to post!

I have gone back and edited some of my posts in this thread, including the first one, and posted a character bio as well. You may want to give it all a re-read if you wish. Other than that, I do hope you find interest and creative inspiration in this RP! I look forward to it!

Edit again... I added a bit to the post with another character I'm writing and cleaned up the rest a bit. I'll leave it alone now for a while and see if it gains any interest.

[Edited on 09/18/2016 by Arveleg]
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Thinking about adding another post to the story shortly.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email