Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
arandorion
Council Member
Send Message
Post For Advanced Sindarin Linguists
on: July 09, 2015 03:04
I'm trying to translate my last name into Sindarin, but I am no linguist.

My last name is Kirksey. Kirk- is old English for "church". And -sey is the plural of "see" as in "the seat of authority of a bishop or archbishop". So it would seem Kirksey was an English place name for a church's seat of authority.

The only thing I could find in Sindarin was the word for "house of God"--Erucaron. That would really just translate to English as "church" or old English "kirk". It doesn't contain the seat of authority meaning as well. I have no idea if there is a Sindarin word for that or how it would be incorporated into the concept of church.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
*grins* it's not just Old English (that's actually cyrice, circe), it's modern Scots for church. We go to the kirkyard and the kirk.
There isn't an attested Sindarin word for church however I'm afraid, and Erucaron looks more like Quenya(?)... House in Sindarin is Bar = Dwelling, or we have Adab = Building. Bar-en-Eru = House of God perhaps? It doesn't give you your other meaning though, but then the church hierarchy isn't a concept that the Elves have.

[Edited on 07/10/2015 by Galadivren]
Tamas Ferencz
Council Member
Send Message
There is also the Noldorin word {i}iaun[/i] "holy place, fane, sanctuary[/i] which is currently as close as you get to 'church' I believe.
Languages of Middle-Earth Community - Google Plus https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105957840800720660334
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email