Register

Author Topic:
Krolu
Council Member
Send Message
Post Translating a name
on: August 11, 2015 04:17
Hello!

I am making a nerdy treasure chest for my girlfriend's birthday and I'm trying to get her full name translated (interpreted) to some fictional/nerdy/old languages. I already have it in Latin, classical Greek, Old Norse, Klingon, Old English, Dothraki, High Valyrian and Na'vi. She's a fan of LOTR so Quenya and Sindarin would be amazing!

So, her name translated (interpreted) to English is Natalie Saddleborn. I found Natalie is Onnedhiel in Sindarin (how about Quenya? the origin of this name is "birth"/"to be born". Saddleborn's origin is "one who was born under a horse saddle". I found that the -born part is "-nĂ³na(r)" in Quenya and "-onnen" in Sindarin. How about the "saddle" part? I couldn't find this word anywhere so I thought some of you may know how to say it or coin it from horse and sit or something?
I hope someone will help. Thank you in advance!
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Saddle was reconstructed in Sindarin as rogol. There's no attested word for it.
Krolu
Council Member
Send Message
Galadivren said:Saddle was reconstructed in Sindarin as rogol. There's no attested word for it.

Then "Natalie Saddleborn" is "Onnedhiel Rogolonnen" in Sindarin? Is it correct?
I am looking for the full sentence "I love you,..." and I found a few versions: "Gi melin, Onnedhiel Rogolonnen." and "Ni meleth le, Onnedhiel Rogolonnen.". Which one is better and are they gramatically correct?
edit: okay I guess I messed up Quenya and Sindarin; I noted down three things: "Gi melin", "Ni meleth le" amd "Melinyet". Only the first one is Sindarin, right? I'm feeling lost.

[Edited on 08/11/2015 by Krolu]
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Rogolonnen -> Roglannen (name mutation rules)

Ni meleth le is completely incorrect, it says 'I am love you'. Gin melon = I love you. (Melin is from when we thought it was an I-stem verb, but we now know definitively it's an A-stem making it Melon). And yes, this is Sindarin I don't do Quenya.
Krolu
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you!
Krolu
Council Member
Send Message
Hey one more thing: I'm looking at Tengwar guides and I'm feeling lost. Which one would you recommend me as I want to get this phrase (and the Quenya one) in Tengwar. Does Tengwar work different for Sindarin and Quenya and are there any working online Tengwar generators?
Thanks!
edit: OK, I managed to do it but I don't know if I got it right?
Is it the way it's meant to be? Is my handwriting good?

[Edited on 08/13/2015 by Krolu]
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
I'm afraid I can't help you with that, Tengwar isn't something I've ever studied or had an interest in, but there are other people who post here who do
Krolu
Council Member
Send Message
Okay I found Tengwar support, thank you for the translation!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email