Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Elweth
Council Member
Send Message
Post Thranduil's Other Children/Legolas' Siblings(?)
on: August 16, 2015 10:27
Hi lovelies!

I looked around for a thread about this topic ... didn't see one, so decided to create on (Mods, please feel free to rectify this if I'm mistaken).

I've seen a pin/picture floating 'round Pinterest about "King Tahldeth, father of Analay Greenleaf, brother of Legolas Greenleaf and King of Mirkwood after Thranduil departed over the Sea."

1) Where in Middle Earth did these names come from? (ie. did someone find notes and scribbles by Tolkien with this information and I'm just now hearing about it?)

2) Is it possible Thranduil did have other children besides Legolas, but they weren't considered "relevant to the story" and thus never mentioned?

[Edited on 08/17/2015 by Elweth]
Member of the blessed realm of Ulmo, Lord of the Waters
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
1) Where in Middle Earth did these names come from? (ie. did someone find notes and scribbles by Tolkien with this information and I'm just now hearing about it?)
I think you would have to contact whoever created the names to find out how they were derived. They certainly don't appear anywhere in the Tolkien canon.
2) Is it possible Thranduil did have other children besides Legolas, but they weren't considered "relevant to the story" and thus never mentioned?
Yes, it's possible, but IMHO improbable. As far as I've been able to ascertain there is no reference anywhere within the Tolkien canon as to whether or not Legolas had siblings.

However, your second questions does raise a sticking point with me concerning the Tolkienverse pantheon of characters. With few exceptions, Tolkien provided little, if any, biographical information regarding most of his characters (and even the "bios" are sketchy at best).
Elweth
Council Member
Send Message
I think you would have to contact whoever created the names to find out how they were derived. They certainly don't appear anywhere in the Tolkien canon.

Good idea. I just might do that. If the names/genealogy were derived from Tolkien, I would definitely like to know about it. If they aren't, I wish it wouldn't be spread with the implication of it being canon. I do enjoy a good bit of fan fiction myself, but I didn't see any mention of it being meant as such. IMHO that sort of thing needs to me made more clear to avoid confusion (or false excitement).

Yes, it's possible, but IMHO improbable. As far as I've been able to ascertain there is no reference anywhere within the Tolkien canon as to whether or not Legolas had siblings.

Agreed. Personally, I would be happy either way. The thought of Thranduil having more children / Legolas having siblings brings a smile to my face (I can just see Legolas play fighting with a brother, or torturing a sister with spiders and other creepy crawlies he caught). On the other hand, Legolas being Thranduil's only son makes their relationship that much more precious, if you take my meaning

However, your second questions does raise a sticking point with me concerning the Tolkienverse pantheon of characters. With few exceptions, Tolkien provided little, if any, biographical information regarding most of his characters (and even the "bios" are sketchy at best).

Me as well. I wonder if there are documents, notes and scribbles still to be found with said biographical information. Wouldn't that be exciting?
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
I'll echo that I'm not aware of those names from any text or note.

With respect to more information of any kind (biographical or not), Tolkien does have a habit of mixing in "non-linguistic" material within in his linguistic material, as languages relate to the world in which they are spoken.

And there is more linguistic material awaiting publication, but who can say?
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Elthir said: And there is more linguistic material awaiting publication, but who can say?
Does anyone know who will be handling the estate once Christopher Tolkien is gone (he's 90 years old)?
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
I think the Estate is handled by several folk, with Christopher Tolkien as the "lead" in some sense. I don't know who will step into his shoes, but my total guess is Adam Tolkien.

No matter who steps in, my second guess is that the remaining material about the languages will continue to flow to the linguistic Editorial Team for publication, members of which currently publish the journals Vinyar Tengwar and Parma Eldalamberon, for examples.

Again, what information, outside of purely language related information, there may be within any of it, who knows.

[Edited on 08/30/2015 by Elthir]
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
I think it would be really cute if Legolas had a little sister, and he made her a tiny now, with tiny arrows, and then taught her to shoot!! That would be soooooo cute!

"I am burdened with glorious purpose"

Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I think so too! I picture him doing this with Tauriel when she was tiny.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Elweth
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for sharing, guys! I've been wondering about this a lot over the last few months. It would be an interesting thought to mull around in one's mind to consider if he had other children who perished with his wife. Of course, we have no concrete evidence of what happened to her either, but it's very interesting (and a bit sad) to ponder.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email