Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Durin-The-Deathless
Council Member
Send Message
Post grammer
on: October 23, 2015 01:59
are their any grammar rules that are different from English? or are they similar enough that it dosn't matter?
erutan2099
Council Member
Send Message
Durin, I am a Quenya speaker, not Sindarin, but I can tell you that yes, the grammar set is significantly different. This isn't some sort of code like "Futurese" from the tv show Futurama; This is a fully fleshed language with its own idiosyncrasies, challeneges and rewards. It has not only grammar but also a writing system and vocabulary of its own that might not necessarily translate well into English.

If you take the time to actually learn the language fluently, then you will experience all sorts of beneficial aspects in your life that you might not have even thought about.

For me it was a much stronger grounding in my own native language of English. For you it might be something else. Perhaps it will serve as a stepping stone by which you can learn even more languages. Who knows?

I can only encourage you to give it a try and to stick to it if you choose to learn either dialect.

-Erunámo

[Edited on 10/24/2015 by erutan2099]
-Erunámo -"Istyallo, Ilu."
Durin-The-Deathless
Council Member
Send Message
oh, thank you erutan. i have a question on writing also. in tengwar, the vowels go over the letter they proceed.(in the sindarin mode)but how do i write double vowels, like in the name isaac?
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
No, in Sindarin vowel-mode they go over the next consonant.
And for a double vowel you either write two vowel signs over the next consonant or you use a long carrier.
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Durin-The-Deathless
Council Member
Send Message
how do you use a long carrier? is that a horizontal line under the vowel but above the consanant?
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
The long carrier looks like a dotless j.
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
erutan2099
Council Member
Send Message
in tengwar, the vowels go over the letter they proceed.(in the sindarin mode)

No, in Sindarin vowel-mode they go over the next consonant.

Like Dirk said, Sindarin vowels move to the right. Quenya vowels move to the left.

If Tengwar is still confusing you, I recommend reading through "Quetin i Lambë Eldaiva", starting at section 1-4-1. This is a Quenya course, but highly informative. I have made a copy of it available here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxtQt4p8XIbvTzhsVmVGaF9EZXM/view?usp=sharing

If you are typing in a Tengwar font, the short carrier is the character "`" and the long carrier is the character "~". These are both found to the left on the keyboard above the caps lock key, usually just to the left of the "1" key.

Minor note: if you are utilizing the United States - International Keyboard layout, when you press either key, it will appear like nothing happened until you press a secondary key.

[Edited on 10/30/2015 by erutan2099]
-Erunámo -"Istyallo, Ilu."
Durin-The-Deathless
Council Member
Send Message
thanks erutan and dirk. you helped a lot
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email