Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Anastasia84
Council Member
Send Message
Post Looking for specific Elvish words
on: December 20, 2015 07:47
Hi everybody, I am new to this forum. I'm currently analyzing some of Tolkien's languages for a course at university. I've been looking at grammars and dictionaries, but couldn't kind two words which I need for my project.
Does anyone happen to know if the words for "persuade" or "convince" exist in any of the Elvish languages?
It would mean a lot and help me to find out whether these words were possibly never translated into Sindarin, Quenya, etc.
Thank you.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
From a search of Eldamo (http://eldamo.org/content/search/search.html) there's no root in any of Tolkien's languages for either 'persuade' or 'convince' I'm afraid.

There's a possible synonym, 'urge, warn' if that's any use?

[Edited on 12/21/2015 by Galadivren]
Tyrhael
Council Member
Send Message
The closest I can think of are verbs for "induce", or "urge, warn" as Galadivren points out. There may also be something in the sources not yet added to Eldamo (though the creator is speeding along), or in Tolkien's linguistic documents that haven't been published yet.

That project sounds interesting!

[Edited on 12/21/2015 by Tyrhael]
Tamas Ferencz
Council Member
Send Message
Semantically, verbs for conquer, master can be close to the intended meaning, cf. also the etymology of English convince.
Languages of Middle-Earth Community - Google Plus https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105957840800720660334
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
In Quenya one might express "change someone's mind" by 'vista queno sáma'.
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Anastasia84
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you so very much for your help, everyone . I really appreciate it.
Once I'm finished with my project, I will post more about it, if anyone is interested .
I'm basically investigating the semantics of Elvish words.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email