Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Which version of the Silmarillion will you be reading.?
on: March 02, 2016 02:36
Although I have an original edition, with the map attached to the back cover, that I purchased when it first came out I've decide to use the Ted Naismith illustrated edition.

[Edited on 03/03/2016 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
I will be using the March 2009 e-book edition, as well as the 2007 deluxe slip case edition published by Harper Collins.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Though my Unwin Paperback 1986 reprint of the 1977 first edition is holding together much better than its LoTR siblings, it's probably a better idea to read the 1999 second edition - apparently a "hardcover paperback" (it is a hardcover, but the copyright page states "This paperback edition 1999" - go figure).
A boxed edition, including "The Map of Tolkien's Beleriand and the Lands to the North" by Brian Sibley and John Howe, a postcard of Taniquetil, a foldout of sixteen heraldic devices, and a CD with CRT reading "Of Beren and Lúthien". I had ordered it together with my hardcover editions of TH and LoTR, due to the variably worn-out condition of my paperbacks, but I remember being surprised at all the additional stuff in the box together with the book ("Oh, so this is what I ordered? Odd ..." )

[Edited on 03/03/2016 by Gandolorin]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I have a paperback, second edition, first copyright 1977, second copyright 1981. It says it is edited by Christopher Tolkien. There is a map on the back page.

[Edited on 03/04/2016 by Lindarielwen]
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
elfmaiden77
Council Member
Send Message
I have the DelRey paperback, copyright 1977, with maps and genealogies in the back.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email