Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the Week- Mar 6 2016; Ainulindale and Valequenta
on: March 06, 2016 10:06
Since these are rather short chapters I thought that we could deal with both at once.
And since I have kindled you with the Flame Imperishable, ye shall show forth your powers in adoring this theme, each with his own thoughts and devices, if he will

What is the Flame Imperishable?
Did it give something to the Ainur over and above the gifts of the rest of the Maia?
Did they pass some of it on once the music was given form?

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
1. "Yet he [Melkor] found not the Fire [in the Void], for it is with Ilúvatar."
I hope my allegory is just enough to avoid the wrath of JRRT's spirit: it is inseparable from Ilúvatar. It is what the sun is to our solar system, with any other (visible) light being reflected, and thus derivative, from the sun.

2. To stick with my allegory, he gave the Valar (I am a notorious nitpicker, PotbellyHairyfoot) far more reflective power than he gave to the Maiar, both of whom are those Ainur who entered Arda.

3. Yes, as the full moon can illuminate the earth at night, especially when snow covers the ground.

[Edited on 03/07/2016 by Gandolorin]
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I think the Flame is like the Higg's boson or "God particle" or whatever it is. The Flame makes things be.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Elfeawen Lomiondil said:... Higgs boson or "God particle" ...

(Ton of bricks crashing down here right now!)

That baloney slices about "God particle" was perpetrated by a possibly squeamish American journalist, my guess would be one who does not (as a rule) write about science. It was perhaps the most difficult particle of the Standard Model of particle physics to find (appears to have been found recently using the CERN Large Hadron Collider). That is why one of the physicists involved in the search named it the "Godd**n particle", making that journalist's editing a total falsification - perhaps even a lie of the kind that puts me in a seriously ugly mood.

[Edited on 03/11/2016 by Gandolorin]
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
*looks bewildered, uses Force to deflect ton of bricks*

I'm sorry, I must have missed part of the story, because I have no idea what you are talking about.

I only used the nickname so people would know what I meant, in case someone wasn't sure which boson I was talking about.

Anyway, it's fine if you don't agree with my metaphor. I couldn't get from your post whether or not you agreed with it.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Ah, that, the metaphor. Sorry, got carried away with setting a story right from a total falsification (my nit-picking is probably notorious in some threads by now ... Image ).

As far as the Higgs boson is concerned, as it is something probably very few people understand - and probably no one does so entirely - it is an apt comparison or metaphor, even if from a realm of human endeavor far removed from fantasy (why am I getting this crawling feeling on the back of my neck just now? best to ignore it, I suppose ...). Certainly Melkor got the whole Flame Imperishable concept wrong, wronger, wrongest (to mangle the English language slightly ... Image ).
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email