Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Conquistadora
Council Member
Send Message
Post Thranduil translation
on: April 02, 2016 11:47
I would love to see some linguistically correct versions of Thranduil's name in Quenya. I only need it for a passing reference in a story I'm writing, but I've been curious for years.

My research, such as it is, has taken me through the elements of his Sindarin name, tharan and tuil, "Vigorous Spring." I've already spent a long evening determining that the spring in question is the sort of spring that comes after winter, not a spring of water. The nearest equivalents I can find in the available Quenya dictionaries are vëa and tuilë.

Vëatuilë just looks kind of sloppy, and I have no idea if it is technically correct or if we could pretty it up with some masculine suffixes or something.

Any help is appreciated.

Also, any thoughts on Oropher? Working with orna and feren, fernë.

Thanks!

dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
Tuilë is indeed one of both springs (the other one is Coirë; the elves had six seasons).
But vëa isn't recommended for "vigour", vië is better. We also have the masculine ending -that is used in names and means "vigourous" (although Quenya doesn't use gender distinction in ordinary nouns, it is possible in names).
So I suggest Vietuilë or Tuilewë.

And Ornaferen for "tall beech" is certainly possible. The stem fern- is only used when this noun is declined (for number or case).

Words can be quite freely combined in Quenya as long as only allowed consonant clusters appear inside the word (cc, ht, hty, lc, ld, ll, lm, lp, lqu, lt, lv, lw, ly, mb, mm, mn, mp, my, nc, nd, ng, ngw, nn, nqu, nt, nty, nw, ny, ps, pt, qu (for cw), rc, rd, rm, rn, rqu, rr, rt, rty, rs, rw, ry, sc, squ, ss, st, sty, sw, ts, tt, tw, ty, x (for ks)).
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
Nerdmeister
Council Member
Send Message
Kinda just stumbled into this topic and while I am not disbuting the "-wë" ending (having found seperate evidence for it being a, mostly, masculine ending) it has gotten me to think about the reason that it is considered as such (well besides: "cause Tolkien said it" )

Seeing as it lies so close to the ending "-wen" (fem. ending), which corresponds to wendë/vendë (maiden) and as such seems logical to me.
I have a personal preference to the masculine ending "-on" myself though having a consonantal alternative seems like a practical tool (besides the "-ndil" and other titel-bestowing endings)

Anyways I´m just thinking out loud a bit. Some might call it ranting...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email